Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 11-07-2019, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,012 Times in 7,107 Posts

Advertise Here

1/2 dozen $20 fixed blades that will get the tasks done with about 99% of the efficiency $150 ones will.

The effectiveness of a tool is most often dependent on the skill of the user.
I've seen my family members with inexpensive fishing gear out-fish others with $300 rod/reel combo's.
Old 11-07-2019, 12:30 PM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,722 Times in 2,597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCK6 View Post
I would never look down on an inexpensive knife like the Mora (hell, I saw them carried and used in Afghanistan!), but I will likely be a little more judgmental on the skill of someone who whips out a pristine $500 custom knife
And especially if you notice they don't dare to use their pristine high quality knife, because it'd get dirty or could get damaged, even for tasks which you could perfectly use a small pocket knife safely for.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 01:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,215 Times in 1,689 Posts

Some cute tiny knives in this thread, perfect for your daughter's Barbie doll.
But as a certain Australian once said, "That's not a knife... This is a knife!"

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Hunter/Survivor

Che FerFal, someday when I go red stag or dove shooting in Argentina I want to buy a couple of Gaucho knives for me collection.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,702 Times in 2,021 Posts

With the exception of cutting watermelon and bread, I see no need for a blade over 4-5".
When the young roman soldier complained about the length of his sword the unit leader told him to stand closer to his enemy. I remember field dressing a deer that I had shot through the ribcage. I was attempting to remove the intestines and not the lungs. The blade of my knife clipped the diaphragm and dropped a mess on me. The only time you need a big knife is when you are on television. Better to have a smaller knife that can hold and edge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 02:17 AM
force multiplier

I was cleaning out my truck the other day, and to my chagrin a I forgot about my my hunting rig. Seems I haven't been on my my stand in several years and I have a knife that accompanies me when I have to do all the dirty work of field dressing. Don't get me wrong, my OKC fighting Knife will get the job done; but my Gerber Gator drop point does the job much more efficiently and would probably be a better all round camp knife than the OKC. Different knives for different jobs, at nearly half the cost of the OKC; YMMV.

Regards

Rod
Old 11-08-2019, 02:31 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
With the exception of cutting watermelon and bread, I see no need for a blade over 4-5".
When the young roman soldier complained about the length of his sword the unit leader told him to stand closer to his enemy. I remember field dressing a deer that I had shot through the ribcage. I was attempting to remove the intestines and not the lungs. The blade of my knife clipped the diaphragm and dropped a mess on me. The only time you need a big knife is when you are on television. Better to have a smaller knife that can hold and edge.
Kbars, glock field knives, everyone living in tropical forests and jungles wielding machetes and bolos, nepales with kukris,gauchos, they all disagree with you. 🙂
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 02:33 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman60 View Post
Che FerFal, someday when I go red stag or dove shooting in Argentina I want to buy a couple of Gaucho knives for me collection.
Good place to buy some very cool facones!
Old 11-08-2019, 03:08 AM
force multiplier

IMHO a blade less than 7" in length is inadequate for overall survival. I mentioned that my Gerber was a better "camp" knife" because it's shorter length would handle all skinning and most camp tasks. However, it is not my EDC knife. A blade 7" or longer will handle nearly all skinning tasks(choke up on it); as well as most camping jobs. Where it shines, is as a defensive weapon, able to pierce the heart, and with a slight twist, sever the spinal cord. Leaving your attacker a non threat.

Most do not want to consider their Knife a "defensive" or "offensive" weapon. You had better, because you or or loved ones may depend on it. A short knife will easilly gut an advisary; but will not incapacitate them. Survival is just that; no if, ands or but's. Ask some one who has been in hand to hand combat; Would he rather have a "short or long knife". The Bowie knife didn't become legendary because it was a good "camp knife"; it was because it was a good "survival knife". It did all tasks reasonably well. Time to deal with the realities; no matter how horrifying they may seem.

EDIT: In my defensive handgun classes we encourage our students to carry a folding knife 3 3/4" in length; not because it is optimal for self defense; but because anything over, the TSA will confiscate when flying. The longer the blade the better.

YMMV but I sincerely doubt it.

Rod

Last edited by Enforcer; 11-08-2019 at 03:56 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 09:42 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,104 Times in 20,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
IMHO a blade less than 7" in length is inadequate for overall survival. I mentioned that my Gerber was a better "camp" knife" because it's shorter length would handle all skinning and most camp tasks. However, it is not my EDC knife. A blade 7" or longer will handle nearly all skinning tasks(choke up on it); as well as most camping jobs. Where it shines, is as a defensive weapon, able to pierce the heart, and with a slight twist, sever the spinal cord. Leaving your attacker a non threat.

Most do not want to consider their Knife a "defensive" or "offensive" weapon. You had better, because you or or loved ones may depend on it. A short knife will easilly gut an advisary; but will not incapacitate them. Survival is just that; no if, ands or but's. Ask some one who has been in hand to hand combat; Would he rather have a "short or long knife". The Bowie knife didn't become legendary because it was a good "camp knife"; it was because it was a good "survival knife". It did all tasks reasonably well. Time to deal with the realities; no matter how horrifying they may seem.

EDIT: In my defensive handgun classes we encourage our students to carry a folding knife 3 3/4" in length; not because it is optimal for self defense; but because anything over, the TSA will confiscate when flying. The longer the blade the better.

YMMV but I sincerely doubt it.

Rod
The TSA will confiscate ANY knife if you try to carry-on. In a checked bag you can carry any knife you want.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:54 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 67,104 Times in 20,549 Posts

I would also consider the Condor Jungle Primitive.

Matt Graham cooperated with this design and certainly is a skilled survival guy.

https://www.camp4.com/condor-tool-and-knife/

I put a rubber wrap on the handle of mine. The handle is too slippery otherwise.

The rough blasted finish blade also makes it easy to just grab the back of the blade for finer tasks.

It is designed to bore holes to make a fireboard.

The sheath is a neat approach to controllably carry a larger blade close to the body to prevent snags.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:10 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Kbars, glock field knives, everyone living in tropical forests and jungles wielding machetes and bolos, nepales with kukris,gauchos, they all disagree with you. 🙂
I cut nopales with a BBQ fork and a buck 110. Stab them with the fork, cut with the 4" blade and drop them into a 5 gallon bucket. No spines in the fingers that way. I live in California which is kind of a jungle but we don't carry big knives, except in the ghetto
The Following User Says Thank You to goat daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:23 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat daddy View Post
I cut nopales with a BBQ fork and a buck 110. Stab them with the fork, cut with the 4" blade and drop them into a 5 gallon bucket. No spines in the fingers that way. I live in California which is kind of a jungle but we don't carry big knives, except in the ghetto
Thats nice but cutting your dinner does not = survival tasks. A real survival knife is supposed to get you by when other tools arent available. A survival knife should be able to double as a prybar, hammer, shovel, axe, saw, doing none of those things great but do them none the less. That's the reason why most survival knifes will have a blade longer than 4", with 6" to 7" being common for utilty/fighting knives, many survival knives often being bigger.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:29 PM
force multiplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
The TSA will confiscate ANY knife if you try to carry-on. In a checked bag you can carry any knife you want.
Thanks. Had a very senior moment last night and just now figured I haven't flown on a commercial airline in 15 years; and had forgotten that they were not allowing short carry on blades. Sitting here staring at my CIA letter opener, and that will not even pass muster now. Haven't taught a self defense class in a while; looks like I need to update my power point:roll eyes:
The Following User Says Thank You to Enforcer For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 01:51 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,209 Times in 5,727 Posts

Hunting I cary several knives,
Western Bowie, is a tool that can do everything I need ; carving, clearing brush, limbing trees, dressing game, preparing meals, digging, pulling a splinter, and a defensive weapon.
Inferior knives are used primarily, saving the edge of the bowie for more important tasks.
I have blades I have made from files, and spring steel, and roller bearing race.
I have a laminated morakniv but to be honest I can't see the hype. the thing it does best, is rust.
I made carving knife from a file that works OK but i made it too big . I need to start over again and make a smaller version, and put a lot more thought in it.
I've not done much carving while camping , but it is not too late to begin.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:53 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
Thanks. Had a very senior moment last night and just now figured I haven't flown on a commercial airline in 15 years; and had forgotten that they were not allowing short carry on blades. Sitting here staring at my CIA letter opener, and that will not even pass muster now. Haven't taught a self defense class in a while; looks like I need to update my power point:roll eyes:
I used to carry a Silver Falcon folder in my briefcase and the little Victorinox in my pocket when travelling. I would place the Silver Falcon amongst some pens and pencils on edge and its thin profile was never picked up. I wouldn't dare try that now. I used the Victorinox scissors to snip open my smoked almonds, someone said no worries they don't give out smoked almonds anymore.

Most of the things people use a big knife for are things I would never use a knife for.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
I have blades I have made from files, and spring steel, and roller bearing race.
I have a laminated morakniv but to be honest I can't see the hype. the thing it does best, is rust.
Laminated Stainless steel mora Companion.
Doesnt rust, super sharp and handy, weights nothing and its dirt cheap.
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 03:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,576 Times in 1,362 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FerFAL View Post
Laminated Stainless steel mora Companion.
Doesnt rust, super sharp and handy, weights nothing and its dirt cheap.
My favorite knife was a vintage Mora laminated steel. My son has it now and I have a similar knife in SS. Are you sure the Companion is laminated SS? If so I would buy one in a heartbeat.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:46 PM
Survivor

I think those of you who require a long blade have never got out of your arm chair. I keep a few longer blades and meat saws in the kitchen of by barn. they are for butchering game. in the field, 4-5" does it all. A concept from an above listing indicated a machete was good? for what, Ever spent time in the woods? It is like the fool that thinks his AR will feed his family in a time of chaos. Ever seen a squirrel shot by a 223? not much left to eat.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:01 PM
Hunter/Survivor

For the sake of argument: all the Rural Types south of our border to the tip of Patagonia use machetes and big knives with great dexterity for all their needs. One blade does it all for them but this is out of necessity not choice.
I am like many here, I have no fewer than 20 knives big and small, and try to give them all field time....
The Following User Says Thank You to Bluesman60 For This Useful Post: