Advice please - need to sell storage food - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 11-07-2019, 10:34 PM

Default Advice please - need to sell storage food

Advertise Here

My username doesn't refer to my location, but rather my age (and digestion). We have eight , forty pound storage buckets of wheat berries, about 22 years old (30 year shelf life) that we can no longer use for food because of allergies. Can you tell me if there might be a market for these? We live in Kitsap County, Washington State. I don't think anyone would pay for the shipping of these so would likely be limited by driving distance. We aren't ready for the "home" yet but we do need to downsize one more time before anything like that happens.
Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2019, 10:53 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,284 Times in 8,909 Posts

I would post them on craiglist. Maybe on the bulletin board at the local gun / sporting goods places. Get a new free email to screen the buyers with. good luck
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 12:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,879 Times in 2,152 Posts

Have a source for local eggs? Maybe you can trade.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2019, 01:13 AM
Storyteller

Thanked 5,260 Times in 1,062 Posts

No sane person will pay $$ for 22 Y/O wheat berries.

I've had 100s of lbs of wheat offered to me free and accepted - to get the metal barrel it was stored in. The wheat went to a local farmer as feed...

You might be able to trade as suggested, with someone with hogs or chickens - as animal feed.

Perhaps you know a young family just getting started that use a gift. Without a mill, not much you can do with it past sprouting...
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DKR For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,542 Times in 1,578 Posts

if you put it up cheap enough you might find a taker on Facebook buy, sell, trade in your area. My wife on occasion sees stuff on there that appears to be preppers rotating their canned goods or downsizing and we have bought a few things through it. We did buy for current usage though and not to store.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:45 AM
Survivor

Thanked 13,868 Times in 5,298 Posts

Allergies bite!

I WAS going to tell you to put a cup of wheat berries in a blender and add the cracked wheat to home made bread, but, yeah.......

Anyways, 320 pounds of cracked wheat used up one cup at a time would probably last a century or two. I do think that Craig's list or offering them in barter would be a good idea.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:50 AM
Harsh and unpleasant

Thanked 2,215 Times in 920 Posts

Lots of people keep chickens
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Hunter

Thanked 7,012 Times in 1,091 Posts

No prepper will buy that old of wheat for food storage.

Maybe you can trade it to a small farmer for eggs, pork or what ever they raise.

1 Bushel of wheat is worth 5.16 dollars and there is 60lbs per bushel. You have 5.33 bushels. So less than 25 dollars in value if I was to try and estimate its worth.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eagle Scout Survivor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 04:18 PM

OK, seven replies in less than 24 hours! Thanks, everyone, for the info - and reality check.

We bought these 40 pound buckets from Emergency Essentials around 1997 for Y2K. I am a retired IT guy and I knew how real the problems were. After spending many millions of dollars the big outfits managed to dodge the bullet. Emergency Essentials now sells these buckets for $60. We also have large tins of canned veggies and such. Some already had to be tossed because of bulging. We also have an electric grain mill and a hand mill for power outages. We thought we might include those for someone who would take the lot.

We really were prepared in our former home. Much more rural, lake water, diesel generator, 3k inverter with a set of forklift batteries for storage, wood stove, and so on. We were rural but now are just outside the city limits of our largest city because driving so far for doctor appointments is no longer desirable. We have three Naval bases in this county and, other than some who have horses, there aren't many farmers here. It looks like the best suggestion for us is Craigslist. Thanks for the suggestion to use a throwaway email to trade there!
Old 11-08-2019, 04:37 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 24,284 Times in 8,909 Posts

I wouldn't feel too bad, you had 22 years of food insurance for what a buck a month.

I hate throwing out food. That's just a little worse than spray and pray with ammo.
Old 11-08-2019, 04:40 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,416 Times in 554 Posts

If you get no interest maybe donate?? Just a thought
The Following User Says Thank You to Sanderhawk For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 04:42 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

If noone ends up taking them, possibly homeless shelter/charity can benefit from it?
The Following User Says Thank You to SmallGame2100 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 05:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,280 Times in 1,107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by overthehillprepper View Post
OK, seven replies in less than 24 hours! Thanks, everyone, for the info - and reality check.

We bought these 40 pound buckets from Emergency Essentials around 1997 for Y2K. I am a retired IT guy and I knew how real the problems were. After spending many millions of dollars the big outfits managed to dodge the bullet. Emergency Essentials now sells these buckets for $60. We also have large tins of canned veggies and such. Some already had to be tossed because of bulging. We also have an electric grain mill and a hand mill for power outages. We thought we might include those for someone who would take the lot.

We really were prepared in our former home. Much more rural, lake water, diesel generator, 3k inverter with a set of forklift batteries for storage, wood stove, and so on. We were rural but now are just outside the city limits of our largest city because driving so far for doctor appointments is no longer desirable. We have three Naval bases in this county and, other than some who have horses, there aren't many farmers here. It looks like the best suggestion for us is Craigslist. Thanks for the suggestion to use a throwaway email to trade there!
I would hang on to the grinders, They can be used to grind other things(rice, corn, rye, barley, nuts, masa, charcoal, beans and so on)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lasers For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 06:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,239 Times in 8,107 Posts

Charities won't take anything without an expiration date and they wouldn't know what to do with long term storage foods.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 07:20 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,083 Times in 962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasers View Post
I would hang on to the grinders, They can be used to grind other things(rice, corn, rye, barley, nuts, masa, charcoal, beans and so on)
Alternatively, OP could list the grinders at a fair price. Include must take all the wheat berries...

Could be a decent deal for a family just starting out, depending on the price.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Camelfilter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 08:09 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,817 Times in 19,388 Posts

Trade them to a farmer for animal feed to get some fresh meat next year.

Regardless of the price you originally paid for puny buckets, wheat is a standard commodity. If it were fresh you only have about $25 worth of commodity. The massive upcharge you paid was for merely the convenience of packaging and inability to easily use the commodity system.

Look at it this way. You may buy a fancy gold bracelet for your wife that you paid a lot for craftsmanship, maker prestige, and corporate pampering, but the pawn shop is just going to weigh/grade and pay for just the gold content. The thousand you bought it for might net you $90 in plain gold weight.

You face the same problem here. Those convenient buckets from EE is what you mostly paid for, not the $20 of wheat in them. But the $20 of old wheat is the only thing of value left. Back then you could have done the grunt work to go find a wheat farmer, bought a truck bed full of wheat for cheap, and done the sealing in mylar yourself. You would not have paid anything remotely like you paid for the EE buckets. You basically paid most of the money for convenience, not product. No one is going to pay you for the intangibles on old product.

Barter with a farmer because you get a better return on barter. Wheat for eggs and the occasional old stewing hen is a good trade.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,371 Times in 1,345 Posts

First open up a bucket and see if the wheat is good, no weevils. Make some bread. I don't see why you couldn't sell them on Craigslist, add some pictures, ask $30, prepare to open one to show, take $20, the buckets alone are worth some bucks.
The Following User Says Thank You to puttster For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 08:52 PM
Prepared

Many people are afraid of food that is more than a year or two old. Wheat has been found in caves in stone jars that was 1000's of years old and still sprouted.

If you want to get rid of your grinder, include the wheat with it as a condition of the sale.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prairiegirl1925 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 09:14 PM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 31,441 Times in 9,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttster View Post
First open up a bucket and see if the wheat is good, no weevils. Make some bread.
You must not have read or understood the post. Someone in the family is now allergic to it. It makes them sick. What part of that don't you get?

And some people are so sensitive to it that even opening the bucket and smelling it can make some people sick.

I just happen to be 1 of them and for me, it causes, muscle pain, headaches, depression and if I keep eating after all that I get diarreah. It also raises my blood sugar and blood pressure. So no. I have been tested for Celiac disease but don't test positive but there is something out there called Non Celiac Gluten Sensitivity. Google it!! Some people have come close to dying before finding out about it.

Make some bread my ass.

Better yet, here's the link, there are literally thousands of links out there for it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-ce...en_sensitivity
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TXplowgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2019, 11:12 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 55,817 Times in 19,388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegirl1925 View Post
Wheat has been found in caves in stone jars that was 1000's of years old and still sprouted.
No, it has not.

You now make yet another victim of the Victorian Era hoax called Egyptomania.

Farmers in England were falling for that scam in the late 1800's and people still keep falling for it unto today.

Temperature, oxidation, moisture, and sunlight exposure will all affect the viability of a grain or seed.

The Svalbard Global Seed Vault stores seed at 0F in 4ply mylar with specialty pharmaceutical packs that absorb both oxygen and moisture. Every factor must be controlled to get what they hope to be hundreds of years of viability.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post: