Baton used by riot police vs. plain wood baseball bat for defense - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 10-17-2019, 11:37 PM
Goat Roper

Thanked 1,498 Times in 573 Posts

Advertise Here

Happened to catch midwayusa on a good day, got them both for less than $50. Thay also have many different bats:
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1017273062?pid=637950
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
I have a few telescoping steel batons. They are BONE crushers.

I'm not familiar with those. Does contact need to be made with the end of the baton, the part that is wider and round?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by basketweave View Post
I'm not familiar with those. Does contact need to be made with the end of the baton, the part that is wider and round?
Contact can be made anywhere. Expandable batons are three pieces of tapered steel pipe nestled inside each other. When you flick your wrist they telescope out and lock in place, making a short steel baton three times longer than they where before. To get them to unlock you have to strike the tip against a hard surface. You can strike your target with any part of them, the little bit on the tip is just to make round, “safer” surface.

In practice, they are like having a 26” steel pipe that up you can keep in your pocket.
Yes, you can hit them with any part of the baton/stick. But the end is where trained stick fighters are taught to hit their opponents. Because it's traveling the fastest when you swing it. Meaning the end tip will do more damage than the middle.
Now to the op. There is no right or wrong answer. It's all based on which do you feel more comfortable with and have more exp with. For me, I'd pick the baton. I have more training with one and I'm not a big person or a very strong person. So I'll take the smaller lighter weapon. But now say sometime who plays baseball. The baseball bat would be a better choice.

With all that being said just like guns. If you're going to carry anything for self defense whether it be a baseball bat, baton, or even mace. You need to train to use it properly and effectively. Or you run the risk of it being used against you.
Old 10-23-2019, 11:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,373 Times in 1,051 Posts

Quote:
What? there actually is one example of it? As far as I knew, it was only ever a silly thing and never actually a problem for a real person.
read this: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...otings.821474/
Old 10-23-2019, 07:26 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 1,624 Times in 650 Posts

http://youtu.be/wiPK3Ij6QMQ
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2019, 09:04 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

I made two baton type weapons from wood closet rod cut to 24" long. I drilled the ends about 5" deep and epoxied in lead 44 caliber slugs. Then I drilled a lanyard hole and tied on a parachord lanyard and wrapped the handle area with friction tape. Its light enough to swing fast but with the end weight should have decent impact.

I also bought a 30" ax handle from Cold Steel made from Hickory or Ash. It should put the hurt on someone if needed.

I also carry a child sized golf putter in my truck. That'll work.
Old 10-24-2019, 08:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,930 Times in 2,625 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
That bat full of nails sounds like a good way to end up in a courtroom, either criminal or civil...
If I have to pick up and brandish a weapon someone is going to get hurt! To hell with the court!
The Following User Says Thank You to Observer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 11:23 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Location: Region 4 - beseiged by communists/ corporate fascists/ criminals...
Thanked 11,863 Times in 3,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer View Post
If I have to pick up and brandish a weapon someone is going to get hurt! To hell with the court!

And Florida law allows it under specific circumstances.
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/.../0776.013.html
The Following User Says Thank You to CrypticCRICKET For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2019, 08:37 PM
old gunsel

If a bat bounces off a person’s head then a baton wouldn't do much better.

And a wooden bat with spikes, in my opinion, would be considered an offensive weapon.
The fact that it’s spiked indicates premeditation. Intent to do great harm.

But even a firearm is no guarantee that someone will stop in their tracks.
I’ve seen someone get up ready to fight after being slammed by a truck.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uteguy View Post
And a wooden bat with spikes, in my opinion, would be considered an offensive weapon.

Buying a firearm for home defense would be considered premeditated as well. But yet it's acceptable and even encouraged.

A firearm has all of the potential of a spiked bat and more. A firearm can permanently cripple, disfigure, and kill with just a pull of the trigger. Defensive weapons are designed to stop a threat. Sometimes they can do that without being used. For them to be effective they have to have the ability to actually stop a threat.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:48 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,888 Times in 5,428 Posts

Never had any use for the ASPs. Seen them used many times ineffectively. I carried a PR-24 for decades (before TJ Hooker did) and it never failed me. Having said that, the most effective, non-issued, impact weapon I have ever seen successfully deployed is a nice old hickory pick-axe handle. Nothing like a nice piece of hickory.
Old 11-03-2019, 12:20 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 4,016 Times in 1,873 Posts

Quote:
That bat full of nails sounds like a good way to end up in a courtroom, either criminal or civil...
Quote:
Like all weapons, it would depend on how you used it.
Quote:
Like on people, vs a wild animal? Ok, sure.

But.

If you built that, and carried it, and then used it on a human...you better have some cuts and bruises, and maybe a bullet hole, to back your story.

You know that silly interwebz thing about SD use of reloads being a legal liability in court? That has actually only been a thing once?

This is that once, times a million.
Quote:
What? there actually is one example of it? As far as I knew, it was only ever a silly thing and never actually a problem for a real person.
This is one of those gun forum subjects that has become "internet fact". That as long as your use of force was legal, that what you use is irrelevant.

Bull****.

This stems from folks who've never spent any significant, or any time in court, not understanding how our imperfect adversarial system works. The "there's never been a case of someone who was convicted because they used ______" is a red herring. Of course you can't be convicted for something that wasn't illegal. But if you think a baseball bat with nails you pounded through the end, won't make responding LE look at you negatively and with more scrutiny, that a prosecutor or jury isn't going to do the same, you're living in la la land.

If your use of force is perfect and without question justified, it won't make a difference. But many/most such uses of force aren't perfect. Often, someone has to make a judgement call, whether you're going to be arrested, whether you're going to be prosecuted, or whether to vote guilty or innocent. Looking like a nutjob or crazed killer doesn't help you in those calls.

Anything that puts you significantly outside general norms, can be a negative factor for you. Prosecutors and defense attorneys routinely put things in front of juries that are "irrelevant" simply to create negative impressions in their minds. It obviously won't be cited as the reason you were convicted or exonerated, but it can play a part. I've been the one to make those judgements call in the field, and I've watched it done in court many, many times, by both sides.

So carry your medieval looking spiked bat, or put a "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" sticker on your AR. Good luck with that if you have to use either one.....

Cue any resident attorney to tell me I'm wrong. They're FOS.

The Following User Says Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2019, 12:40 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uteguy View Post
If a bat bounces off a person’s head then a baton wouldn't do much better.

But even a firearm is no guarantee that someone will stop in their tracks.
I’ve seen someone get up ready to fight after being slammed by a truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCRICKET View Post
Buying a firearm for home defense would be considered premeditated as well. But yet it's acceptable and even encouraged.

A firearm has all of the potential of a spiked bat and more. A firearm can permanently cripple, disfigure, and kill with just a pull of the trigger. Defensive weapons are designed to stop a threat. Sometimes they can do that without being used. For them to be effective they have to have the ability to actually stop a threat.

If you think that anyone that has to evaluate your use of force is going to look at your spiked bat the same as your Glock, you are out of touch with reality.

Again, if Ted Bundy broke in and is trying to murder your sister, it won't matter. If however, your use of force is at all questionable, it might.

Cops, prosecutors, and juries, are all imperfect human beings, with opinions and prejudices. To think that a homemade spiked bat, couldn't evoke negative impressions among many/most folks, is ridiculous.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:27 AM
Freedom isn't free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
If you think that anyone that has to evaluate your use of force is going to look at your spiked bat the same as your Glock, you are out of touch with reality.

Again, if Ted Bundy broke in and is trying to murder your sister, it won't matter. If however, your use of force is at all questionable, it might.

That's why you don't step one toenail outside of the law. So that there is no question.
Old 11-04-2019, 01:20 AM
Wannabe Mountain Hermit

Thanked 31,368 Times in 9,078 Posts

I'm going to pop in here for a minute. Back when I was driving truck I wanted to carry 1 of these. It's called a Truck driver Tire Thumper. Supposed to check those big tires with BUT it is againgst Company Policy to carry 1 for company drivers and I can't remember if it was against DOT regulations or not. They are carried in all truck stops. The independents can carry them or they used too. If lease operator also a no no.

I had 1 but kept it hid, but when I had to come off the truck and found out I couldn't drive anymore I got rid of it then cussed myself out. So I got another 1 and carry it in my suburban. They are anywhere from 1 to 2 ft long and about a lb or 2 give or take. Love mine.

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/roa...ent=Big%20Rigs
For those of us who are disabled, whether it be SSDI, SSI, Military, family members who are disabled and would like to discuss with others on how we might be able to get through today's times, SHTF or joining a MAG and what challenges may be faced with that.

Last edited by TXplowgirl; 11-04-2019 at 04:02 AM..
Old 11-04-2019, 02:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,580 Times in 3,734 Posts

I trained on the PR-24 and was certified, then underwent annual certs year after year after year. In the hands of some one who knows how to use one the PR-24 is one bad ass stick.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 03:00 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,888 Times in 5,428 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I trained on the PR-24 and was certified, then underwent annual certs year after year after year. In the hands of some one who knows how to use one the PR-24 is one bad ass stick.
They had a short release of metal, collapsing ones that all got recalled and decertified.

I used one for awhile that belonged to a guy who didn't like it but wouldn't sell it to me.

For a bit, I was making tonfa (which the PR-24 was based on) with the ends shaped like the traditional English batons. I made one for a local police chief who was 6'6". He wanted one that was 34" long and as thick as a D-Cell Maglight. I custom fit the Yawara handle to his massive hand. He carried it in a modified D-Cell flashlight holder. I can't remember if it was oak or hickory but it was probably the nicest one that I ever turned. I wish I still had a picture of it.

I still take mine out a couple of times a year and do some of the kata (drills.) Mine kept me out of a lot of fights over the years. I found it to be superior to any other approved impact weapon.

When I walked a foot beat I carried an English style baton and learned a lot of the spins and twirls. Most folks don't realize that those techniques were also useful for disarming, retention and other utilities and not just for show.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
Never had any use for the ASPs. Seen them used many times ineffectively. I carried a PR-24 for decades (before TJ Hooker did) and it never failed me. Having said that, the most effective, non-issued, impact weapon I have ever seen successfully deployed is a nice old hickory pick-axe handle. Nothing like a nice piece of hickory.
I think some straight batons are made of hickory.

Quote:
So carry your medieval looking spiked bat, or put a "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" sticker on your AR. Good luck with that if you have to use either one....
Perhaps it would be different in a SHTF event. I'm guessing law enforcement would be now where to be found. OTOH, a bat with nails sticking out would make a unique wound profile, I guess.

Another idea is a ball bat with a bunch of small spikes in the wood. The movie Rollerball comes to mind. Also some winter motorcycle tires have spikes in them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarge912 View Post
...For a bit, I was making tonfa (which the PR-24 was based on)...

I still take mine out a couple of times a year and do some of the kata (drills.) Mine kept me out of a lot of fights over the years. I found it to be superior to any other approved impact weapon.
Do the people that practice the tonfa in the realm of martial arts use two or one at a time? My memory is telling me two, one for each hand/arm.
Old 11-05-2019, 02:37 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticCRICKET View Post
That's why you don't step one toenail outside of the law. So that there is no question.
Right, Captain Strawman......
Old 11-05-2019, 08:47 PM
Freedom isn't free.

Quote:
Right, Captain Strawman......

Are you saying that it's difficult to stay within the boundaries of law? I don't find it difficult to stay well within the boundaries of law. i think it's still nice and safe and comfortable within the boundaries of law. Because I'm a law abiding citizen. Always have been.

I think some people here are just repulsed by up close and personal violence. Very understandable and natural to be repulsed by violence. It's human nature.

The thing is though that as the predators of the world disarm the non predators by new gun/weapons control laws, the disarmed human will resort to whatever devices they can still get their hands on to survive their predators. Most likely that means more crude weapons than what they once had at their disposal. More crude weapons require more emotional discipline, a more predatory mindset, and more commitment to violence than do more advanced weapons that allow a person to beat a predator with less effort and at longer distances. Brutality will increase and the world will become much more violent when firearms are removed from the non violent population.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:54 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,033 Times in 619 Posts

I keep a little league bat in my car.