dad killed by diaper bag carry - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mosque Shooting in New Zealand comdot General Discussion 362 03-28-2019 06:55 AM
Korean War growing more imminent - What's your plan? **Merge Thread** Colt Manmade and Natural Disasters 3152 08-04-2018 09:22 AM
Trump orders AG to ban Bump Stocks **Threads merged here** bonegunner General Discussion 168 02-24-2018 06:13 PM
Are unknown entities grooming mental cases to commit mass murder? Lagnar Controversial News and Alternative Politics 43 02-23-2018 12:04 PM
Dad Isn?t Carrying With a Round Chambered, Gets Self & Son Killed on Video AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 3 04-13-2017 11:47 AM

Old Today, 12:29 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 14,794 Times in 4,975 Posts

Advertise Here

Is it possible that he had in the diaper bag because he was a prohibited person who would likely be arrested on the spot if he had it in a holster?

-----------------------------------------

Further proof, by the way, that that silly little dingus in the Glock/clone trigger is not a safety, no matter how the much evangelists want you to believe that it is. A safety will prevent the gun from firing even if the trigger is manipulated.
Quick reply to this message
Old Today, 12:50 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 28,796 Times in 6,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
I guarantee that had no gun been present to begin with, this also would not have happened.

He wasn't competent enough to handle a loaded gun. In any state of readiness. That's the real lesson here. Just another Darwin Award winner.

Why specifically carry chamber empty in an off-body bag? Trying to see the pros, but failing to recognize any...
Oh really?! Please, you're smarter than this nonsense.

It takes 1-2 seconds to reach into a bag, and withdraw a totally safe (unchambered) handgun, and rack the slide. Conversely not having a gun at all is an entirely different situation. Having a gun, even unloaded/unchambered, is a whole lot different (for better or worse depending on situation) than not having one.

By analogy, try rolling onto a secure installation or thru TSA. I guarantee they will determine whether having a gun, or not, is a material difference.

Same with having a tool (or not) for effective self defense. You have it or you don't. 1-2 seconds to manipulate it can - but very rarely - are going to make the difference. Conversely not having it at all more frequently ends badly if it were needed and not had.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 01:00 AM
Comic, not your lawyer!

Thanked 28,796 Times in 6,997 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfthang View Post
If you're going to carry a concealed weapon, you're silly for carrying it with an empty chamber UNLESS you're an idiot, know you're an idiot and are responsible enough to know that idiots and chambered guns don't mix. If it's your carry weapon, it should be a fairly high quality firearm. It shouldn't go BANG just for looking at it or even dropping it. So, if your weapon is fairly good quality and you have sufficient training to even be carrying a concealed weapon, why would you not want it to have a round chambered????
I am neither an idiot nor irresponsible. In fact, as a former Army officer and combat vet, having qualified expert with my weapons, and a gun owner/shooter for 2 decades, with some competitions under my belt, I'd venture I'm more well trained than the average gun owner/carrier. Yet, I have often carried a concealed or open carry firearm on an unloaded chamber. I've had some very scary dealings. Yet I'm still alive. No AD or ND in my life. Managed to survive a lot of crazy or dangerous environments or situations. Heck, the majority of the "most trained fighting force the world has ever seen" (i.e. the United States Military) carries firearms almost entirely in combat zones totally unloaded, unless directly heading out on a mission outside the wire. I guess they are all idiots as well?

It's called risk mitigation. It's prudent. I think something like 80 service members were still killed from AD/ND downrange. They are alarmingly common. There are times and situations when an UNLOADED gun or chamber is extremely prudent. Off body bag carry is one of them. Too much can go wrong, and the gun is pointed in unpredictable directions.

And heck, did you not read the article? They guy would have been able to carry a gun for rapid self defense deployment (takes 1-2 seconds to rack a slide to chamber a round), and violate every known rule if he wanted to, and be alive if that chamber were empty. Give me ANY gun with an empty chamber and it's impossible to fire it in a AD/ND. And most can be made ready for use with a 1-2 second manipulation.

My longguns in my home are generally stored empty chamber. The flip side, I mostly carry on a loaded chamber. I am comfortable with my arrangement that requires some manipulation to make some guns ready (stored or off body) but others ready instantly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to leadcounsel For This Useful Post:

Old Today, 08:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,744 Times in 3,656 Posts

Quote:
Oh really?! Please, you're smarter than this nonsense.
The event was about operator head space & timing...not the loaded state of his weapon. This was a guy who would likely have lit up a cigarette while pumping gas.

I'm not debating chambered vs non-chambered carry. In that regard, I don't care what you or other people choose to do. You buys your ticket, you takes your chances...

But you didn't answer my question. Why did you emphatically recommend unchambered carry when employing an off-body container (e.g., diaper bag)?

In other words, if I don't normally carry chamber empty on my body... why would I want to do so if I decided to employ an off body bag (diaper bag, sling bag, briefcase, day pack, etc.)?
Old Today, 09:05 AM
LEGAL citizen

Thanked 28,326 Times in 9,305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
A gun in a bag is transporting.

Not carry.

Yea okay... transporting to ChuckECheese
The Following User Says Thank You to America's Patriot For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 09:13 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 35,398 Times in 14,006 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

I am interested in seeing what model of firearm was this?

Was it secured inside of a holster?

The general safety of a loose pistol rolling around inside a diaper bag is my concern. I used to know some old men who wore suits and they all carried .25 pistols lose in their jacket pockets.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 09:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,715 Times in 5,774 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astronomy View Post
The event was about operator head space & timing...not the loaded state of his weapon. This was a guy who would likely have lit up a cigarette while pumping gas.

I'm not debating chambered vs non-chambered carry. In that regard, I don't care what you or other people choose to do. You buys your ticket, you takes your chances...

But you didn't answer my question. Why did you emphatically recommend unchambered carry when employing an off-body container (e.g., diaper bag)?

In other words, if I don't normally carry chamber empty on my body... why would I want to do so if I decided to employ an off body bag (diaper bag, sling bag, briefcase, day pack, etc.)?
As he said....you might carry that way because the gun is NOT in your direct control when itís in the bag.

I would think the fact that he shot himself would demonstrate the absolute FACT, that in his case a bullet in the chamber was a bad thing.

Him being an idiot has nothing to do with it. Crap happens. You mitigate the possibility of disaster in most cases, so why not in carrying a gun?

There are places and times when I want cocked and locked. I wouldnít go there by choice, but sometimes, you have to.

But 99.9% of the time, in the places I frequent...SD and my life arenít dependent on a fraction of a second.
Old Today, 11:18 AM
Survivor

Thanked 9,555 Times in 1,971 Posts

What a crappy way to get shot
Old Today, 11:18 AM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Thanked 3,827 Times in 1,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra007 View Post
I can't understand why people feel the need to have chambered rounds in normal everyday conditions. I could see if you know your going into a possible hostile environment, but Chuck E Cheese.
Because when you don't, this happens:
http://concealednation.org/2019/04/v...PCqQLp8MRCLijc

https://youtu.be/0FXHVjXPtJk

You can't schedule a crisis. The problem here wasn't that he had a round in the chamber, it was that he wasn't properly carrying it.