Study shows that dogs can sniff-out cancer in humans with incredible accuracy - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Study: Shootings spike following NV gun shows Mr. Sockpuppet Firearms General Discussion 12 10-25-2017 08:02 PM

Old 04-10-2019, 11:06 AM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 5,796 Times in 1,231 Posts
Default Study shows that dogs can sniff-out cancer in humans with incredible accuracy

Advertise Here

A new study shows that dogs can sniff-out cancer in humans with almost 100% accuracy:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/health/heal...XT0?ocid=ientp

Some highlights from the article:

Whereas humans only possess six million smell receptors in their noses, dogs have 300 million, which means they’re about 10,000 times better at detecting odors than humans.

[In checking blood samples from lung cancer patients] dogs managed to correctly identify the lung cancer samples 96.7 percent of the time and the normal samples 97.5 percent of the time.

there was a 2013 study that found that trained dogs could detect breast cancer through blood samples 97 percent of the time. Then there’s the 2011 study involving a black lab named Marine who was 97 percent accurate in detecting colon cancer among loose stool samples, which made her success rate even higher than the tests doctors do.

In many of these studies, what was especially impressive was the fact that the dogs could detect cancer while it was still in its very early stages, which could make them even more useful than lab testing when it comes to detection.

It's been know for some time that dogs can detect impending seizures in epileptics and diabetes patients.

I have a personal anecdote to add to this.

In 2011 I had a heart attack. I wasn't feeling good one afternoon. And my little chihuahua, who usually sleeps in the afternoon, seemed very anxious to me. I was resting on the couch, and she kept looking at me and whining. She obviously could tell something was wrong with me. So I drove myself to the hospital, and sure enough--the ECG showed I was having a heart attack.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to zooeyhll For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 11:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,490 Times in 1,235 Posts

Yup it's been known. Want something different look up the woman who can sniff out parkinsons, even before it's diagnosed.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:25 AM
Survivor

Thanked 20,919 Times in 7,072 Posts

I saw something about dogs sniffing moles to see which had gone bad (body moles, not the varmint).

It doesn't surprise me. Cats are more our speed but I have seen a lot of dogs provide valuable services.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:

Old 04-10-2019, 11:45 AM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 12,622 Times in 5,339 Posts

A friend of mine, who it currently being treated for cancer, went to pet a dog that someone was walking past his house. He is very much a dog guy and most dogs come right to him. This one whimpered and hid behind the owner.
She politely asked if he was a cancer victim when she saw his reaction and how the dog reacted.

When he confirmed that he was she explained that her dog was trained to detect cancer and that was how she reacted to it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sarge912 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 03:09 AM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 6,137 Times in 2,423 Posts

Dogs can be/have been trained to detect all sorts of cancers, diseases, conditions, changes (blood sugar levels in diabetics and hypoglycemics, medication blood levels in mentally ill or elderly patients (compliance), etc.), impending seizure, impending stroke, etc., etc., etc.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:05 AM
Survivor

My husband's cat cries all over the house when he is in the hospital. It just now dawned on me she probably thinks I put him down. Sick, leaves the house, doesn't come back. We've done that before!

So I bring her dirty laundry to let her know he's still alive. One sniff and she stops crying, and is happy.

When Biscuit was sick I took him to the vet, who kept him overnight. I did not come home with him that night and she was very upset at me until I brought him home the next day. Kept sniffing at his poor, shaved, butt.

That's my experience with cats, when you get sick. They are pretty good at laying with me when I have a migraine.
The Following User Says Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 08:51 AM

But the chances are against their using dogs as the main source of detection when there are so many expensive machines out there that do tests that can bring in money.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PreppingGal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 10:59 AM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 5,796 Times in 1,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreppingGal View Post
But the chances are against their using dogs as the main source of detection when there are so many expensive machines out there that do tests that can bring in money.
You are right.

Charging people $10,000 a pop for a CAT scan vs. using a mutt picked up for free at the local shelter?

We all know which side THAT'S going to fall down on. And it will be the $10,000 side of things!
The Following User Says Thank You to zooeyhll For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2019, 02:05 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 40,286 Times in 12,443 Posts

Oh thank God. Please send them to the homes of those unfortunate souls who live near the cancer-causing sound of a windmill.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2019, 07:35 AM
Survivor

Not at the county run places. They will look for cost efficiency.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:48 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,338 Times in 3,878 Posts

Our older cat at the time was 6 when my wife was battling cancer in 2013-2014. The cat & my wife were inseparable prior to her cancer becoming worse in early 2014. Her last few months, the cat wouldn't sit with her at all. She'd be friendly but not like it was before. Maybe the cat picked up on something, possibly the new harsh chemo she was on.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:37 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,544 Times in 512 Posts

I used to do my own tests...on my rat terrier. He would go outside (doggy door)….and while he was gone....I would take a piece of Vienna sausage...and each time I would make a piece smaller and smaller.....and hide it...somewhere different each time....and watch his reaction when he came back in. He would strut into the living room....flop down on his pad....and in only a few seconds his nose would start to twitch. He found the treat every time. Was down to a size of a green pea....hidden inside a work boot...covered with a sweat stinking sock...up on a doorway bench...and he found it.

It does not surprise me at all that dogs can smell things like cancer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post: