GPS tracking devices - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Non cell phone gps tracking tomclay98 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 18 06-04-2018 01:19 PM
GPS for creating custom routes in wilderness wilderness_lover Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 59 12-07-2017 12:39 AM
DVR interfering with GPS signal? kotterr DIY - Do It Yourself 22 02-01-2017 12:18 PM

Old 04-10-2019, 10:48 AM
Prepared

Default GPS tracking devices

Advertise Here

Anybody have a GPS tracking device on their generator or garden tractor? Things are changing around our neighborhood. So far-this year- they have only stolen stuff out of unlocked cars. But last year I saw where somebody was warning people to lock their garages and sheds because the little dopers were stealing from them too.
Yesterday a guy who lives a block down the street posted on Facebook that somebody stole a tree that was balled up and laying in his side yard. I would like to know more details about that. He always has dogs at his house and I am surprised that they didn't raise hell.
Anyway I marked my generator with my name in several locations and I wrapped a log chain through the frame with a couple of boat anchors bolted to it to slow somebody down a bit if they try to drag it away.
Just wondering if you have used a reliable GPS tracker that will track the location of something that is stolen? Something that I can attach to the bottom of the generator in case it walks away?
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 08:43 PM
Prepared

Anyway I wrote my name on the gas tank and the frame with a UV marker that is supposed to be invisible. The problem is that once you use that UV pen it picks up paint from what ever you used it on last so I can read my name on it. My homeowners policy would cover the generator but I still don't like the idea of somebody maybe stealing it. I contacted the guy who had the balled up tree stolen from his yard and asked him how they were able to steal it without getting caught. I thought that dogs in his house would sense when somebody is outside. Dogs must have been asleep too. That's the thing about my security cameras-- they never sleep.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:08 PM
Prepared

Well if your cameras don't get a really good picture of the criminals face or license plate, they will only tell you what time the criminals robbed you and maybe what type of vehicle it was. Most criminals are looking for the easy things they see as they drive by, so I try to keep everything out of sight and locked. I would keep a portable generator or anything else in a shed and always keep the doors on the shed, house, and vehicles locked. It isn't that hard to hide and secure things. The criminals will usually just move on to find something easier to take. Locking the generator is better than nothing, but keeping it out of sight locked in a shed, garage, or basement would be best.

I do remember a story once where people went to a house and dug up a bunch of newly planted bushes and trees. Some of them cost hundreds and thousands. And people cut down other people's evergreens in the winter to use for Christmas trees.
The Following User Says Thank You to tractorfarmer123 For This Useful Post:

Old 04-11-2019, 09:01 AM
Prepared

I had a Blink XT camera mounted in an outside type electric box on the back of my house. Couldn't get it to detect movement. This morning I took the camera out of the plastic box and set it on top of the box. It started detecting motion right away. I am trying to figure out how to mount the camera on a 4"X4" satellite dish post that is about 3 feet behind the generator enclosure. With the camera inside of the plastic electric box it was blocking too much signal from my wifi or from the sync module. Works great now that I have it in the open. Takes great video of the whole back yard now.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,223 Times in 6,381 Posts

Wireless camera systems are getting cheap. I am thinking of buying a network of 6 maybe 8.

Seems like the good part is flexibility. Set some at fixed position and other to be moved around.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:58 PM
Prepared

There are bike alarms that when the bike is disturbed calls the owners cell phone.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:46 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post
There are bike alarms that when the bike is disturbed calls the owners cell phone.
My camera system does that too. A GPS chip would tell me where they hide it.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:51 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Wireless camera systems are getting cheap. I am thinking of buying a network of 6 maybe 8.

Seems like the good part is flexibility. Set some at fixed position and other to be moved around.
My wife was worried about me using too much wifi time on my phone so I shut it off and then I couldn't figure why my cameras wouldn't work. I figured it out just before I was going to call for tech support. Turned the wifi back on on the phone and everything works again. Glad I did or I would have felt awfully stupid.
The cameras react to motion and record video without the wifi being ON on the phone. But you just can't the watch video or control the cameras without it being on. You know--through the app.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:59 AM
Prepared

Don't look like a lot of people are real big on using GPS chips in case something is stolen. Maybe I will get one of those pet chips and hide it on the generator. If your dog or cat dies can you send me the chip? Not the whole animal though.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:04 AM
Survivor

Thanked 15,223 Times in 6,381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsclaw 73 View Post
My wife was worried about me using too much wifi time on my phone so I shut it off and then I couldn't figure why my cameras wouldn't work. I figured it out just before I was going to call for tech support. Turned the wifi back on on the phone and everything works again. Glad I did or I would have felt awfully stupid.
The cameras react to motion and record video without the wifi being ON on the phone. But you just can't the watch video or control the cameras without it being on. You know--through the app.
Why not just have motion cameras send to a recorder? Then search as necessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post: