Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remington 700 SPS 6.5 Creedmoor Rifle from $459 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 02-15-2019 06:07 AM
Remington 700 SPS Black 6.5 Creedmoor 24" 4rd from $499 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 09-29-2018 08:58 PM
Savage Model 10 FCP-SR 6.5 Creedmoor Rifle from $549 wikiarms.com wikiarms.com 0 10-28-2017 08:36 AM
Watch: Savage Model 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 08-23-2017 10:00 AM
SHOT 2017: New Remington 700 Rifles AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 02-01-2017 08:00 PM

Old 04-10-2019, 02:20 AM
Amateur of all trades

Default Remington Model 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor

Advertise Here

I'm not privy to a lot of details yet and I also can't divulge much more info than is presented here. So here's what I know and what I wish to get feed back from anyone here who is more knowledgeable than I... which would be pretty much Everyone!
I've been given the opportunity to field test (and write a review) a new Remington 700 in the 6.5 Creedmoor caliber. The 'person(s)' wanted some field tests in Wyoming (assuming it would be a prairie dog shoot) at long distances. Don't have any "prairie carp" at my place, so it'll be paper and steel gongs. I have up to 1,000 meters available at the BOL, and unlimited ranges off property nearby. Let it be known I am NOT a sniper nor am I trained/experienced at shots over 300 yards at my personal range at home.

1) Is the 700 PCR all that and a bag of chips?
2) Which model of 700 should I request for my Test rifle?
a. Otherwise, which model do you folks think is the most accurate.
3) 1:8 twist is what they offer so which velocity and weight should I stock up on for the test ammo? Name brands would be appreciated so I can order ahead of time.

I am thinking of ordering a Thompson Encore barrel in this caliber just cuz I have a frame and a scope/mounts ready to go, so why not?

Thanks for any feed back.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2019, 06:40 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 36,939 Times in 8,996 Posts

Are you doing a review of the rifle or the cartridge?

Both?

If your trying to compare it to other cartridges, the 6.5/.264 bullet has the ballistic coefficient advantage over all other cartridges in its class

You'll want to do wind drift comparisons in this case, drop and hold over don't necessarily compare well with others like the 25-06 or 270 but will have an advantage in bullet weight over the 6mm size cartridges

Ballistic charts with velocity/energy/drop/holdover/wind drift at given ranges will be needed

IMO, if you're trying to compare rifles, its hard not to go to a long barrel to get all the velocity you can to get the most impressive ballistics out of it

But.....

This is a short cartridge, which is its best attribute. You can get a short, light rifle with some long range characteristics all in one package.

You'll need to go over all the best features of whatever rifle you've chosen for the review

If you're shooting little critters, you'll want the lightest bullets in the 6.5, which kind of takes away from the ballistic coefficient advantage that the Creedmoor has to offer

The 1:8 ROT is good for all the long 6.5/264 bullets in the velocity range for the 6.5 Creedmoor......stock whatever you need!

If it was me, I'd ask for a Remington Model 7 with an 18" barrel weighing in the 6lb range for the review but that's JMO

Just my thoughts, FWIW and YMMV
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 08:13 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 32,297 Times in 9,121 Posts

I can think of two options,
A scaled down Sendero (Model 700, 24" heavy profile premium barrel, target trigger)
A scaled down mtn rifle (Model 7, 18" barrel, 6lb. (what Manyfeathers suggested).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:

Old 04-10-2019, 09:34 AM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

I think one of the biggest issues is they don't make the Model 7 in 6.5 Creedmoor but they do in 260 Remington, which could be the better cartridge but it's kind of splitting hairs......

But I'd still ask for it!
Old 04-10-2019, 12:15 PM
Amateur of all trades

Many Feathers,
MODEL SEVEN SS HS PRECISION is offered in the 6.5.
I'm being provided with a rifle in this caliber, just don't know which model 700 it will be until it arrives.
Regardless which one comes to my doorstep, I'm wanting one "Just Cuz" I've a new gun purchase budgeted in for this month and there are financial incentives for me to get a Remington. Having been given the notification, my research into this 6.5 Creedmoor caliber has piqued my interest into finally purchasing what I consider a non standard New caliber.

"IMO, if you're trying to compare rifles, its hard not to go to a long barrel to get all the velocity you can to get the most impressive ballistics out of it" THIS is why I had considered getting a 28" TC Encore Bbl since remington doesn't seem to have one in an off the shelf sale.
The Following User Says Thank You to superflux For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Well......good luck and I hope it serves you well.

Let us know how it shoots!
The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post: