What was your "Prep" for today? - Page 1922 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Link to the "Surviving Disaster" Series - Great to watch for emergency prep. ideas! survive Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 08-26-2019 04:51 AM
Non "Rambo" Prep Helmet Nate74 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 71 07-15-2019 08:29 AM
Finally... a sane answer to "Why do we prep?" SurvivorGirlAL Jokes, Humor & Music 16 06-12-2019 07:58 PM
The Media asks " Why Prep" Northern Raider British Isles and ROI 33 12-07-2017 08:20 AM
Food Prices "will double by 2030" - Oxfam. Time to prep with a home garden? Jubbles Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 130 03-12-2017 02:12 PM
National Geographic has "I Escaped A Cult" in between "Doomsday Preppers" today. Libertarianism 4 All General Discussion 17 03-05-2017 10:08 AM
Article shows how most "sheeple" prep. potatoheadman Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 52 11-05-2016 10:38 PM
An "Emergency Prep Poster" in Japan landline000 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 19 07-25-2016 01:17 AM
Neighbor "found" me online, knows I prep now... AARGH! joyfulheart Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 126 09-02-2014 11:49 PM

Old 10-14-2019, 12:39 AM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,817 Times in 2,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

It's been a busy weekend. Got off work early Friday and stopped at an estate sale (a gal we know has a business doing estate sales) to look at some woodworking equipment (husband want to get back into it, but didn't have the equipment. There was a large lathe marked $600, but got it for $500. There was also a quilting frame big enough to do a king-size quilt on - got it for $50. Daughter and son-in-law finally got the keys for the new house, so Friday evening, we cleaned the inside (counters, cabinets, floors, etc.) so that everything was ready to start putting things away as we got them in.

Saturday morning, husband, son-in-law and I had to try to get the lathe out of the back of the pickup...ended up getting the tractor, and using the bucket of the front-end-loader to slide the heavy end (with the motor) of the lathe into the bucket, then as husband SLOWLY backed the tractor up, son-in-law and I slid the other end toward the end of the tailgate, then had him stop so we could get down, then held that end while he backed up a bit more and lowered it down. (Arms are REALLY sore and tired today!) Once we got the lathe out, had to put a large dog crate in the back of the truck, then load up one of our youngster does to take her about 30 minutes north (after stopping at the feed store to buy 5 bags of chicken feed, one of dog food, and 7 bales of hay. Took 2 bales with us - picked up the rest on the way back home) for a "hot date" with a buck that another family from our church owns. She'll be there a week, then I'll take her twin sister up for her "date" and bring the first one back. After getting back with the rest of the hay and feed, was helping daughter clean dishes, pots/pans, etc. before putting things away in the cabinets we'd cleaned the night before.

Got a call from the gal who does the estate auctions last night - she still had a planer/jointer, some wood, tools, etc. left; $300 for the lot. She said to bring boxes for the loose stuff. So, met her over at the house to pick things up. It was more than could be taken in one load, and she had another house to go to, so she left the smaller entrance door unlocked so I could get into the shop to get the rest of the load. Ended up having to make 2 additional trips after the first, then locked up the door. All in all, ended up getting the lathe and planer/jointer (heavy cast iron construction, NOT the thin cheap metal seen on a lot of equipment now), the quilting frame, two large totes worth of tools and such (even a plumb bob) a HUGE low work table (about 4 foot x 8 foot)and some very nice furniture-grade wood for $850.

Son-in-law and husband went to another house she had staged to pick up a King-sized mattress from another estate sale - had never even been used - since the one daughter and he had stored had ended up with a petrified mouse in it, and needed replaced.

Since we're off tomorrow, we're going to take it easy - and I'll FINALLY get a change to make several batches of cheese. Once daughter and son-in-law get the rest of their stuff out of my guest room and living room, I can get my house cleaned up.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 10:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 38,691 Times in 11,534 Posts

Was tearing down the horribly built front deck yesterday when a car pulled into the driveway. Itís a little old lady who lives about a mile down the road. Made our introductions and such and she asks about the igloo dog house by our mailbox. I explained I put it there hoping someone could use it and pick it up. She said she could as she has sort of an unofficial feral cat rescue. I looked at her car and knew the igloo wouldnít fit. Told her Iíd bring it down to her in a bit. When I did I saw she lives in a very old house (built around 1900) and asked how long sheíd lived there. 35 years or so. We exchanged phone numbers in case an emergency or such happened and good neighbors can help. Always helpful to have good neighbors.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 03:13 PM
Patiently Waiting

Thanked 13,341 Times in 4,106 Posts

I was weak and bought another machete. My first Tramontina. It’s ok, but the blade is a little too flexible for my purposes.

Might make a good hiking machete for the mountains up behind us to clear a trail of overgrowth.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jash For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2019, 03:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,451 Times in 1,570 Posts

Had a freeze so I’m spending Columbus Day canning cheap meat, somewhere on a dog food level of quality. Pressure canning makes it forkable.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rural Buckeye Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 10:01 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 6,817 Times in 2,802 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Since I was "taking it easy" today, made 4 batches of mozzarella, and 1 batch of ricotta. (For those who don't know, ricotta is made from the whey left over from making other cheeses.)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to IceFire For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 PM
Survivor

Got 6 more shipping crates dragged home today. That makes 12 total. Starting to look like something... sorta. Inside area is roughly 16x24, not counting the container insides themselves.

I also got the horrible front deck about 90% torn down. Iíll be able to salvage much of it to build a roof over the containers, giving me an area bigger than one of my shipping containers.
Iím kinda ****ed at whoever worked on that deck. I realize the investor hired the cheapest labor possible and probably set the budget stupid low but for Christís sake. All that was done was waste new lumber decking over a horrible existing frame. Using nails to hold down the decking? Fail! Painting the wood. Fail. So much wrong with it all Iím surprised it didnít fall down on its own.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2019, 11:18 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 23,322 Times in 7,134 Posts

Winter is here. Placed an extra sleeping bag in some of the rigs.
You never know when you or someone else might need one in freezing weather.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:12 AM
VIP Member

Ordered another one of these multitools, specifically for our blasting supply boxes.
Reason being, they have a blasting cap crimper, dynamite punch/awl (to insert a blasting cap) & good blasting wire strippers.

They are inexpensive ($10)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Multifuncti...oAAOSwIKVdjAvD
Old 10-15-2019, 01:51 AM
VIP Member

Ordered a small portable wood burning stove for wall tent heating (with the addition of more stove pipe).

We have a couple large high quality canvas wall tents, but only 1 wood burning tent stove.

$100 & free shipping. (good reviews)
I can't build one for that price, when I include my labor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Outdoor-Woo...4AAOSwHxFbVfaR
Old 10-15-2019, 02:25 AM
SoJer

Thanked 2,723 Times in 902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
...We have a couple large high quality canvas wall tents, but..
..Same, except we've got 5-such 'mini stoves'.. Biggest / best performer (in Our experience, anyway, YMMV.. are the 'Cylinders'.. Love our lil 'Outfitter', https://www.cylinderstoves.com/outfi...e-package.html ..and also got the 'Oven' - https://www.cylinderstoves.com/chimney-oven.html ..Takes a bit of 'trial / error / fine tuning' the wood-used / load to get the heating balanced / stable for bread, etc, but.. 'Muffins' are easy and the oven works well for 'quickie loads' as-such....

..Also got one of the 'gasifiers' (ref-only, didn't get This exact one, but close..)
https://www.silverfire.us/multi-tent-dragon ..Have 'burned it in' - Does heat quickly and looong on even just a small-bit of hardwood, but.. Have not-yet tried heating an 'entire' canvas with it, guess it will depend on ambient / winds, etc, but.. Chiefly as a 'cooker', it does do well..

..But the Cylinders seem to be the 'best of both'... Heat the tent - sometimes Too good and really do serve as a cooker, quite well..

jd
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SoJ_51 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 09:07 AM
Survivor

Thanked 44,783 Times in 5,523 Posts

I have a tent stove can't think of the manufacture right now. But the stove has a hopper for burning pellets. Is pretty nice. I can burn wood or pellets. Makes it great whenyou get set up and its late. I can light the pellets. And cut wood the next day. Or when I go somewhere where there's no wood.. A bag of pellets will last about 2 to 2 1/2 days

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jvtater For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 10:24 PM
VIP Member

A couple up-grades to my truck

Spray in bed-liner

Concealed steps, that come out when you open the door & retract when you close it.

Old 10-15-2019, 10:34 PM

Fresh venison with my compound bow.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Chew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 10:47 PM
VIP Member

24 rechargeable AA's & an 8 slot AA smart charger for the youngsters.
They go through disposable AA batteries like candy.

Old 10-15-2019, 11:12 PM
Cynical Thinker

Thanked 4,636 Times in 609 Posts
Default Up or perimeter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
Got 6 more shipping crates dragged home today. That makes 12 total. Starting to look like something... sorta. Inside area is roughly 16x24, not counting the container insides themselves.

I also got the horrible front deck about 90% torn down. Iíll be able to salvage much of it to build a roof over the containers, giving me an area bigger than one of my shipping containers.
Iím kinda ****ed at whoever worked on that deck. I realize the investor hired the cheapest labor possible and probably set the budget stupid low but for Christís sake. All that was done was waste new lumber decking over a horrible existing frame. Using nails to hold down the decking? Fail! Painting the wood. Fail. So much wrong with it all Iím surprised it didnít fall down on its own.
As you get older one flight of stairs is doable, two is a problem and three is out of the equation. Up or perimeter? jess saying...
The Following User Says Thank You to EventHorizon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 11:54 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
As you get older one flight of stairs is doable, two is a problem and three is out of the equation. Up or perimeter? jess saying...

The first part I understand and agree. Steps are always kept to a minimum when I can. Not sure what you meant by up or perimeter ď??
The Following User Says Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2019, 11:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post
A couple up-grades to my truck

Spray in bed-liner

Concealed steps, that come out when you open the door & retract when you close it.

Those steps are handy (and not inexpensive!). Make sure you line them occasionally so they work properly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 12:29 AM

Stopped by Target, and got a blue tarp and Tiki torch fuel.

Fuel was on clearance, got it for $2.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browneyederic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 01:02 AM

Thanked 1,474 Times in 696 Posts

I tried a Mountain House beef stew for the first time. It was pretty good. It wasn't watery at all. It's supposed to have 2.5 servings, and I actually got 3 decent bowls out of it.

It really, actually has beef in it. But it looks like it's a little high in sodium.

Supposedly 500 calories, and I have no reason to doubt that. If there was any more food in the envelope, it might have been too much for me to eat.

Also, I got an oil lamp and oil, 12 jars, and a camping shower.

The camping shower was $8 or $9, and it's better than I thought.

It's 5 gallons, and it has a warning on it that says that the water can get too hot, and that if it does, you're supposed to add cold water in the vent hole.

I looked up how much water is in an average shower, and it's supposed to be 17 gallons. Since camp showers are cheaper than I remembered, I'm thinking of adding two or three more, to have the ability to take a less Spartan shower, or to accommodate more people. I'm expecting that the water pressure might not be great when you get towards the end of the bag.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jim from 28DaysLater For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2019, 01:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,802 Times in 1,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from 28DaysLater View Post
I tried a Mountain House beef stew for the first time. It was pretty good. It wasn't watery at all. It's supposed to have 2.5 servings, I actually got 3 decent bowls out of it.

It really, actually has beef in it. But it looks like it's a little high in sodium.

Supposedly 500 calories, and I have no reason to doubt that. If there was any more food in the envelope, it might have been too much for me to eat.

Also, I got an oil lamp and oil, 12 jars, and a camping shower.

The camping shower was $8 or $9, and it's better than I thought.

It's 5 gallons, and it has a warning on it that says that the water can get too hot, and that if it does, you're supposed to add cold water in the vent hole.

I looked up how much water is in an average shower, and it's supposed to be 17 gallons. Since camp showers are cheaper than I remembered, I'm thinking of adding two or three more, to have the ability to take a less Spartan shower, or to accommodate more people. I'm expecting that the water pressure might not be great when you get towards the end of the bag.

I keep a good supply of Camp Suds liquid soap around for those kind of showers. It's low sudsing so it rinses easily with less water. Good for shampoo, bathing, dishes, etc.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Black.Dog~ For This Useful Post: