Itís 2020- What age do your kids get access & training for defensive guns? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old Yesterday, 04:34 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,526 Times in 465 Posts
Default Itís 2020- What age do your kids get access & training for defensive guns?

Advertise Here

Given the current and potential future situation, at what age are you training your kids on the usage of defensive firearms, especially for home defense?

What age are you given them access to the same?

In addition, many students are remote schooling, with parents unable to continue ďstay-at-homeĒ work, leaving the kids at home alone for extended periods during the day. Does this increase your concern for potential threats taking advantage of the situation?

If your answer is something other than ďAbsolutely NOT!Ē, how are you balancing the legal, moral, maturity and training aspects of such a decision?

Please note we NOT discussing the age to introduce junior to a single-shot .22 with cans in the backyard, but a probable teenager in handgun and long-gun defensive fundamentals.

Your comments and thoughts....
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to .455_Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 04:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,637 Times in 2,419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
Given the current and potential future situation, at what age are you training your kids on the usage of defensive firearms, especially for home defense?

What age are you given them access to the same?

In addition, many students are remote schooling, with parents unable to continue ďstay-at-homeĒ work, leaving the kids at home alone for extended periods during the day. Does this increase your concern for potential threats taking advantage of the situation?

If your answer is something other than ďAbsolutely NOT!Ē, how are you balancing the legal, moral, maturity and training aspects of such a decision?

Please note we NOT discussing the age to introduce junior to a single-shot .22 with cans in the backyard, but a probable teenager in handgun and long-gun defensive fundamentals.

Your comments and thoughts....
This really depends on the kid because not only do they become responsible at different ages, they can change and start making bad decisions overnight especially as teens. My step daughter first learned on my 1911 when she was 13 and knew where it was kept, so had access to it. About 2 years later she lost that access through her behavior and us not trusting her to be responsible.

My son is under 10 and has shot my 380 enough that I'm confident with him being safe with it and he knows where it is and has access. Not as big of a deal with him though since at his age he is rarely home by himself and then not for long.

you just have to treat them with the responsibility that they earn, and if they do something that shows you they are no longer responsible you take that away.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 25,488 Times in 7,249 Posts

It's not a number. Depends on the person.

But for me I would have to trust them to drive before I would trust them with the decision to use deadly force.

Not the ability....an eight year old could have the marksmanship....but its the judgment of when and who to shoot that is the hard part.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 157,551 Times in 45,610 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

The year doesn't matter. Kids should get the training as soon as they're mature enough to do so safely. Only parents can make that decision. They know their own kids. There's no hard numbers here.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 07:24 PM
Survivor

Thanked 76,160 Times in 23,330 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post

But for me I would have to trust them to drive before I would trust them with the decision to use deadly force.

Not the ability....an eight year old could have the marksmanship....but its the judgment of when and who to shoot that is the hard part.
Someone breaking into your home isn't judgement enough?
Old Yesterday, 07:31 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
What if itís a friend playing a prank and he shots through the door and kills him. Even if it is considered legal, not talking about that, but how will it effect the rest of his life.
The Following User Says Thank You to Offrink For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Survivor

Quote:
One must only look at the numerous examples....some highly publicized....of adults using fatally bad judgment in such situations to see that it isn't.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,667 Times in 6,740 Posts

My 12 year old got off the school bus and made it about half way down the drive( at this point I'm 30 minutes out) a car turns in the drive and follows him the rest of the way to the house. Son turns and asks if he can help the two occupants of the car. They don't answer they just stare. Son opened the door of the how asks if he can be of some assistance. No response. Son reached inside produced the 12ga I keep beside the door , racked the slide and asked again. Car threw gravel go back up the drive . I got there about a half hour later. He comes out with the shotgun and tells the tale.

If you are comfortable enough to leave them at home alone with guns they should be competent enough use them
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to swamppapa For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
What if itís a friend playing a prank and he shots through the door and kills him. Even if it is considered legal, not talking about that, but how will it effect the rest of his life.
"Shooting through a door" is not what I was talking about.

I may or may not of started 'always having a firearm around' when I was in high school.

Some stupid TV show was popular (we didn't have a TV) about friends volunteering their friends to be pranked/scsred.

Several of my friends made jokes about how that would NOT be a good idea with me.

No one should shoot at an unknown and unknown unseen target on the Other side of a door.

I was trusted with my 20 gauge and 22 in my room (with ammo) Sometime between the ages of 10 and 12.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 11,776 Times in 3,719 Posts

My girls were between 10 and 14 when I got them shooting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Exarmyguy For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 09:05 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 33,242 Times in 8,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The year doesn't matter. Kids should get the training as soon as they're mature enough to do so safely. Only parents can make that decision. They know their own kids. There's no hard numbers here.
I started my children, grand children & now great grand children off on a child sized single shot bolt action 22 Caliber rifle around 7 years old.

Safety 1st, starting bench rest & standing target around 20 feet out.

Single shot bolt action teaches them one (1) shot one (1) KILL.

Today, all except the great grand children can safely - competently use various caliber pistols, shotguns & rifles.
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,869 Times in 1,269 Posts

Quote:
"Shooting through a door" is not what I was talking about.

I may or may not of started 'always having a firearm around' when I was in high school.

Some stupid TV show was popular (we didn't have a TV) about friends volunteering their friends to be pranked/scsred.

Several of my friends made jokes about how that would NOT be a good idea with me.

No one should shoot at an unknown and unknown unseen target on the Other side of a door.

I was trusted with my 20 gauge and 22 in my room (with ammo) Sometime between the ages of 10 and 12.
My point was that some kids do stupid things. Guns are no different.

I started my girls at 5 and 7 with a pink cricket single shot 22lr. At 6 and 9 now and I wouldnít trust them to handle a rifle without supervision, not because they canít safely handle a gun, itís because they could do stupid things.
Old Today, 02:16 AM
Working on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offrink View Post
What if it’s a friend playing a prank and he shots through the door and kills him. Even if it is considered legal, not talking about that, but how will it effect the rest of his life.

1)Treat every gun as if it were loaded.
2)Keep your finger off of the trigger until you are ready to fire.
3)Point only at an object you want to destroy
4)Know your target and what's behind it.

All of my children started firearms training at the age of 6 give or take.
At the age of 8 or so, they were allowed to have their weapon of choice.
Everyone has access to ammunition, rifle and pistol safe as long as they are stable, reliable and have sound judgement.

My first born has a Mossberg 20 Gauge pump.
My second has a scope mounted and modified 1022
My daughter has an SR22. She's 13 now and wants to trade it for a G45

All of them have superb trigger discipline, their trigger finger is straight as an arrow when handling a firearm.

Shooting any living thing is a serious matter. If they shoot an animal, they dress and eat it.

They are more than aware that using lethal force is just that, lethal.

They are also trained to use less than lethal weapons.

I am a Veteran and everyone in my household is trained.

Nothing in my home is worth dying for.

Last edited by eatmorchiken; Today at 02:26 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old Today, 02:49 AM
Survivor

None of the laughable four rules tell you when to shoot and when to raise your hands, or run away, or when to start shooting...or when to stop.

Who to shoot is an extremely difficult and serious decision which many people get wrong with life destroying results. Professionals often spends decades learning how to do it. Many 'killers' never actually get far enough in their field to be trusted with the choice.

I would trust most kids to pull the trigger and hit what I told them to hit. I would trust very very few adults to say who that target should be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old Today, 04:49 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,223 Times in 8,629 Posts

Quote:
Quote:

Honestly I would say not for an 8 year old.

I would let the guy have the house before I would put a kid through the trauma of shooting someone.
Old Today, 07:10 AM
SoJer

Thanked 7,921 Times in 2,439 Posts
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbuypotteryfromme View Post
..I would let the guy have the house before I would put a kid through the trauma of shooting someone.
Pff, a) you Would.. b) What if the 'guy' was there For your kids (clearly, of-which, you have None..) or, decided to 'use the kids as collateral' - would you let the kid go thru the 'trauma' of whatever resulted from you / them NOT shooting the POS?? You should just Really Stay Out of discussions that you're, frankly, clearly not Qualified to participate in... We'll all be sure to letcha know soon as it's 'milk crates vs the baddies'-thread day, mkay??

..Anyway, back on Earth..

Quote:
Originally Posted by .455_Hunter View Post
Given the current and potential future situation, at what age are you training your kids on the usage of defensive firearms, especially for home defense?...
Sorry, I took off on the wrong tack on an earlier post (about my 'gradated weapons training' approach with my 3 - Age wasn't really the 'deciding factor' - was Far more about When I felt they each, individually, both demonstrated the maturity / responsibility - and the physical discipline and 'emotional Control' (over Fear, which is a killer, both 'operationally', and judgementally..) to move from the 'Training pieces' (BB replicas, then Blank-firing ones..) to finally the 'real things'..)

..but back to your First question (and I opin, Most Important aspect of it, in bold there..) I guess my answer is.. Go re-watch 'The Patriot' (..and yeah - I know - 'it's a Movie' But 'My advice' is Perfectly summed-up by the whole 'first Raid' on the Martins place.. And all that, then-ensues..) - and I think you'll have your answer..

(Ergo: Given the 'context' of what's Very Likely 'coming our way', in the months / year ahead, well.. That, right there, should be 'your Guide' - based on Your depth of relationship / knowing Your Children, like no one else, and your 'circumstances' (ie: 'High-risk Urban setting' vs 'Lower-risk Alaskan-tundra setting'.. I'm sure you get my gist..

jd
Old Today, 07:27 AM
Survivor

Quote:
None of the laughable four rules tell you when to shoot and when to raise your hands, or run away, or when to start shooting...or when to stop.

Who to shoot is an extremely difficult and serious decision which many people get wrong with life destroying results. Professionals often spends decades learning how to do it. Many 'killers' never actually get far enough in their field to be trusted with the choice.

I would trust most kids to pull the trigger and hit what I told them to hit. I would trust very very few adults to say who that target should be.
which is why I asked.

"If someone breaks into the house" is a very clear delinuation.
Old Today, 08:00 AM
Midwest Born

Thanked 1,004 Times in 447 Posts

back to the OP. in my home, my 16 year old received a 9mm for his last birthday and has been receiving training for self defense from me and my leo friends. when he is 18 I will get him in a class. the last 3-4 years he has been training on rifle and defensive shotgun as well. He will receive a defensive shotgun for Christmas/birthday this year. He has saved his money and is shopping for an AR, although, given the current environment, I have cautioned patience.

my youngest, 14, is receiving the same training the oldest one did at that age. By the time they are out the door at 18, I expect them to be competent in handgun, defensive shotgun and battle rifle and will assure they have access to one of each and are possessed of one when legally able to do so
Old Today, 08:21 AM
Working on it

Quote:

First of all, the 4 rules are not "Laughable," serious business before you lay your hands on a firearm.

My post was more in response to shooting at an unknown object behind a door.

To the original post, in "home defense," yes, absolutely. Castle doctrine has been implemented for a reason. If a stranger forcefully enters you home, it is less than an assumption that they are there for no good reason and serious harm or death to the inhabitant can be assumed.

Could you live with yourself allowing you child to be raped, murdered of taken from you? If your kid feels they need to take lethal force, there is an eminent threat.

My youngest is now 13 and the oldest has been driving for a year now. I would say that they are old enough, and have had enough gun handling experience to defend themselves.

Yes, there is the issue of not ever being able to ever unsee or undo the experience of taking a human life. Same holds true for being raped or tortured or murdered.

As with anyone that owns a firearm for self defense, it is far better to know how to use it than have to.

If you don't feel comfortable with a gun, don't own one.
If you do have a gun, know how to use it safely and know there are consequences for using it in self defense.

Ask Kyle Rittenhouse.

Last edited by eatmorchiken; Today at 08:45 AM.. Reason: moved video link
Old Today, 08:50 AM
Working on it

Kyle Rittenhouse

Toward the end of the video he shows quick judgement in determining the hands up deception, then being a target.