***Ladies Section *** - Menopause - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Ladies Section The Girlvivalists Hangout Area.

Advertise Here

Old 10-19-2019, 08:36 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,189 Times in 4,166 Posts
Default ***Ladies Section *** - Menopause

Advertise Here

I had a look for a thread on this, but couldn't find one, so I apologies if there is one.

I've been told I'm pre menopausal and the Dr is basically (and as usual) not doing anything. I thought it would be a good idea for us survival sisters to get all the information in one place etc.

Here's the NHS page on the symptoms to look out for

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/menopause/symptoms/

I don't want to go on HRT, and I do know that soya products are supposed to help. I also know of someone who swore Yoga helped her.

I'd love to hear any tips you may have.
Quick reply to this message
Old 10-19-2019, 09:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,934 Times in 3,341 Posts

I am at the other end of it all, and must say I had few of the expected symptons other had the hot flushes. I have heard that soy eleviates some of the symptoms, but was also told by a friend who has had a mastectomy, that women who have had cancer should not take soy ( because of the estrogen ). Other than that, I can't really offer any i formation other than what is out there...sorry. Wishing you all the best as you travel this next path.
The Following User Says Thank You to grandma For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 10:01 AM

There are plants that have a pseudo-etrogen soy is one of them. Some herbal teas help the crankies...lemon balm and motherwort worked well for me and they are growing in my herb patches. Im sure there are others, too. But I would use caution with soy, I imagine the GMO folks have messed with soy long enough to make its effects boomerang in odd directions.
Another herb that seems to affect hormones in women is hops....ladies who work with hops tend to get pregnant more easily (and it ain't from drinking them in beer, LOL). Maybe there is something in that old wives tale. Hops are also useful as nervine (remember reading about hops pillows to encourage restful sleep?) so they might be useful as well.

However, if uterine cancer runs in family id think twice - soy tends to stimulate pre-cancerous cells to become cancerous in uterine cancer probably due to those same phyto-estrogens. You need to start monitoring your body more carefully and checking on unusual symptoms. With menopause, often cancer rears up (I noticed breakthru bleeding and got diagnosed early) and you lose the heart-attack prevention of hormones. So if there was ever a time to fine-tune your diet & habits, this is a good one. I eschew soy, and it seems to be in EVERYTHING nowdays...even in special chemo foods (!!!! I had to educate the nurses in chemo about that one by showing them the medical journals. Sheesh.) So frankly, I would AVOID SOY.

I guess I was lucky, my only issue was hot flashes, and they are more of a PITA than anything else. I just wear 'summer' clothing year round with a sweater or jacket that I can remove when a 'power surge' strikes, LOL. A little crankyness was also reported by my family, who said I was much less patient with their shenanigans than 'usual'. (I thought I had just reached critical-mass in the fed-up department) Lemon balm tea is the big go-to in my family for that.

Don't fret the doc not doing anything....'it seems to be a common response to meopause to offer HRT or let it alone completely. Most non hormonal treatments for menopause treat the symptoms that arise instead of messing with the hormonal chemistry which is no longer taken as lightly as it used to be.

No worries, sister....its more of a pita than anything else'. But there is also a freedom from having to purchase 'ladies products' that is a plus. Now I only need tampons for the first aid kit, LOL!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kappydell For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 12:19 PM
VIP Member

I had a friend that swore by "Black Cohosh", an herb that helps during menopause. Said friend had a really bad case with the symptoms until she started taking the black cohosh, especially with the irregular periods, mood swings and hot flashes . It's sold online and at health stores.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eyepal For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Yep, that's another well known herbal remedy. Works very well.
The Following User Says Thank You to kappydell For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 03:51 PM
Target Shooter

I take DIM daily (amazon comments talk about how it helps...it's been awhile and I don't remember all the reasons) and Vitex (to help build progesterone). I'm estrogen dominant, and the vitex has helped my cycle to be more consistent (it WAS anywhere from 17 days on....till I started the vitex! Now I'm about 27 days). Wild yam helps if one's pms is insane.....instant mood calmer! My teen dd takes it. Now that I am on DIM + vitex, my pms is barely there. Thankfully! But if I feel anxious or angry or argumentative....and know it's sometime the week prior to my period, I take it asap.

I truly wish there were more resources for women with peri-menopause. My doc, as much as I adore him, is clueless about how to help....except for putting one back on birth control. Sigh. My mom and alot of women her age, had a hysterectomy, and can't help.

I've only recently gone back to taking the dim + vitex regularly, and I hope they will help with the length of my period....and esp with the amount of the flow + the large clots. I'm thinking fibroids are part of the problem, as I had a d&c almost 2yrs ago, and I had little problems with clots and such for about a yr after. I am thinking maybe the fibroids were taken care of then, but grew back? Idk. But I'd prefer not to have a niagara falls flow, nor the clots. Again, doc says only bcp will help with these. I have to think something else will help? Anyone know??
The Following User Says Thank You to JenFred For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 03:51 PM
Forward, into the fray!

Thanked 8,996 Times in 2,679 Posts

Goodness, of course the doc did nothing. Nothing needs to be done. Just man up and wait to see what your symptoms will be. Most of them you can just ignore. Your hair may thin and loose its curl, your skin my get dry and the boobs go south. Nothing for the doc to do there. Vaginal lining will get dryer and loose its stretch. They have a good hormone cream for that. The major problem most women have is killer hot flashes and turning into a crabby wicked witch of the west. THAT the doc can help with by giving you hormones, but YOU may not get that.

I have roasty feet. When I go to bed and relax my feet light up like they're on fire, keeping me from falling asleep, so I keep a hot water bottle full of cold water to put at the bottom of the bed. I used to get night sweats. Wasn't too hot yet I'd sweat like I was in Death Valley. So I took a towel to bed with me. That symptom has gone away, though.

In the mean time, relax. You could skate through this with no big deal. Most do. Only a few have symptoms that are a real problem. Cheer up, your nails will probably grow so much better.
The Following User Says Thank You to BabyBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2019, 10:10 PM

One of my friends went to an accupuncturist. They give you herbal remedies and she had great results.

I used Selenium and soy milk. No hot flashes and my hair got really thick. I did have little "relapes" for a couple of years. Very annoying when you are unprepared!
Old 10-19-2019, 11:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,770 Posts

Yoga and acupuncture are wonderful. I've done both but not specifically for perimenopause. Recently, I read that the keto diet helps with symptoms.

I was lucky and had very few symptoms that were over quickly, after about 3-4 months, IIRC. My hair remains normal to this day and my voice sounds as if I could be in my 30's. I have always exercised regularly and mostly eaten very healthfully with very few carbs/sugar, although I have always eaten in "phases", done many different kinds of exercise, done guided visualization and meditated. I suspect a many-pronged approach to health and perimenopause is best, especially with the "weird" stuff since we can't expect a lot of help from western medicine with "female problems".
The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 02:59 PM
One of the Frozen Chosen

I guess i lucked out at both sides of the issue. No PMS, then very few menopausal symptoms. If I’d had a husband he would’ve been a happy guy. Lucked out except for being alone i guess. Best advice i can give is to stay active no matter what.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scorinth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2019, 03:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,991 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorinth View Post
I guess i lucked out at both sides of the issue. No PMS, then very few menopausal symptoms. If I’d had a husband he would’ve been a happy guy. Lucked out except for being alone i guess. Best advice i can give is to stay active no matter what.
We are, indeed, lucky women. We should just count our blessings while we are staying active.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kay For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,607 Times in 466 Posts

Menopause for me was a breeze, although I'm tempted to try the selenium and soy milk to thicken my hair. lol ! Once in a while I had a hot flash but nothing I couldn't handle on my own; I learned that drinking a glass of water would stop the hot flash in its tracks. I didn't take any medication for the transition. And yes, it's nice to not have to worry about having a period.
Old 10-24-2019, 12:22 PM

A very good pair of tweezers ��
The Following User Says Thank You to badkarma66 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2019, 03:48 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 42,298 Times in 13,083 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by badkarma66 View Post
A very good pair of tweezers ��
And a 10X magnifying glass
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2019, 10:53 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 9,163 Times in 3,386 Posts

Be careful with phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) if there is any estrogen-dependent cancer in your family or you... breast cancer, endometrial cancer, etc. Or if you have lumps in the breats/armpits or unusual bleeding/pain. Talk to MD, ND, DO before using. Ditto for dietary modifications.

A supplement that's been used is evening primrose oil. It is a problem if there's family or personal history...

Life is sooooooo much better on the other side