Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Y'all twisted my arm - Lyman Great Plains Rifle drobs Black powder 39 08-12-2019 10:43 PM
SHOT Show Report, Day 1 gr8fuldoug Camera Land 0 01-18-2017 11:01 AM

Old 12-19-2017, 08:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,477 Times in 3,878 Posts
Default Finally shot my LH 54 Cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle

Advertise Here

18 rounds down range today. Started with 80grs shooting at a couple at tree stumps and my gong, just to get the feel of it. Was no where near what I was shooting at. Then set up my target stand and moved to my back porch. Couldn't find my targets and didn't want to get my greasy hands all over the house digging for them so just shot at a flattened cardboard box stapled to my target stand.

Shooting standing off hand at 25yds - shots were going way low and a bit left with 80gr of FFFg Graf's Scheutzen. Bumped it up to 120gr and shots were still going a little left but closer to point of aim. Couldn't find my sandbag rest so used my range bag as a rest and shots were more centered closer to point of aim. No pretty groups but I really don't have a good bench setup off the back porch.

Learned a couple things - 2 patches is too thick using .010 thick patches and Hornady .530 dia ball. Got it started then had to hammer it (plastic shot filled mallet) the rest of the way down.

Dry balled one. Took the nipple out and fed powder into the chamber from my flask. Replaced the nipple, capped it, and fired it - cleared the dry ball. Piece of cake!!!

Remington #10 caps worked just fine. Next go at it, will lower it to 100grs and see what happens. Will keep better track of my fired patches. Hard to tell what's going on picking up the patches at the end of the day shooting.

I ran 2 to 3 lubed patches between shots. Bought my patches and 500rds of Hornady ball from Mid South Shooting Supply during a 1 day 30% off Hornady sale a couple months ago. Bought 1 box of .535 dia ball - which I can't see using. At least not with a patch.

Filled a 5 gal Lowe's bucket with water and did the plunger method of cleaning the barrel after removing the nipple & clean out screw. A dedicated brass range rod would make sense for that... Followed that with everyone's favorite - WD40. Keeping track of the cleaning jag is annoying.

I had fun but need a better bench rest. Might need to go to a formal range and borrow their lead sled.

Need a powder horn - filled my powder flask twice.
Made up a possibles bag using an old canvas Romanian AK mag pouch. It works but a nice possibles bag would be better. Plan to buy some FFg but don't feel like driving 1.5hrs to buy it, yet. FFFg worked just fine.

Not having shot in 8 months - my breathing, trigger pull, and follow through are rusty.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,910 Times in 729 Posts

I'm short on time to type right now but I wanted to tag myself into this thread.

Couple of thoughts;

IIRC, the grooves in those Lyman rifles are 0.010 deep. Try loading those.535 balls with one .010 patch. It'll be tight, but my guess is you'll get good accuracy. The trick is to find load that seals but can still be loaded with the stick. I'd build short starter that's about 7 inches long.

People are (shortly) going to disagree, but you are using way too much powder. 120 grains of 3F is a stout load for a round ball. I'd back it off to 80 and sight it in from there. Actually, I'd shoot 80 grains of 2F. Your rifle though. You have to find out what it wants for accuracy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,745 Times in 560 Posts

I concur with Flinter.........120 is not going to be a target round. Even though my 54 is a TC...I get the most accuracy with 70grns. And Finter is spot on about the patches....use several thicknesses (pure cotton!) to find the one that works best with your twist.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rustednail For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2017, 07:22 AM
Survivor

1 patch of a 0.010 thickness worked decently. Will try the 80gr loading again. Offhand it was way low on the target. Need to sandbag the rifle and see what is up. Sure a sight adjustment could be made to adjust the elevation for that loading.

Plan is to see what happens at 90gr and 100grs. Without adjusting the sights.

I plan to stop by a shop that carries 2f and will buy a couple cans. Missouri's Black Powder / Alternative Methods deer season starts Friday, so am trying to get this relatively on paper in hopes of taking a deer with it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2017, 07:47 AM
Old Grouch

Thanked 1,270 Times in 491 Posts

drobs - keep us posted on your workup of a load and then your hunting. I'm following you with great interest.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Big Sarge For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Survivor

That elevation adjustment on the buckhorn GPR rear sight seems about useless. Was filing on my front sight like mad today and was contemplating breaking out a dremmel tool...

I think I'm on now.

Using 90gr of FFFg, Hornady .530 round ball, and .010 patch, I'm putting them right in the bullseye - using a center of mass sight picture. At least I got 2 in there before giving up on chasing the 3rd. Note the manual recommends a 6 o'clock sight hold. That aint working for me.

I played with 80grs as recommended by the manual. But I just don't have all day to file on those sights. 80gr still puts it way low on the target.

Just for giggles - 1st shot out of clean barrel today was a double ball load w/ 120gr. Almost touching but low on the target using the 6 o'clock hold.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:06 PM
Prepared

80 grains of triple f seems a bit high to start off with but like the feller says , ya gotta start somewhere !!

I use .530 ball with a .015 greased patch

The Lyman GPR is one hell of a good rifle . Have fun with that good shooting
reliable muzzle loader.
The Following User Says Thank You to rockuser For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2017, 05:12 PM
Survivor

Need to buy / make a nice leather Possibles Bag. In the meantime made one out of an old Romanian Mag Pouch. Cut the rear divider so it has 2 front pouches and 1 large pouch in the rear.

Added a strap from one of my mag bandoleers.

Old 12-30-2017, 09:58 PM
Hunter

I like it!
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2018, 03:38 PM
Survivor

No luck Deer hunting so fired off the loaded round that I had in the GPR for the past week then loaded and fired one more round. Cleaned/oiled the gun for storage.

Finding the gun really needs to be swabbed between shots otherwise loading is difficult. Soon as I cleaned the gun I thought to myself - hmm should've loaded some undersized ball just for the heck of it.

Watching those NSSA videos, thinking I want smooth bore for quicker shooting.
http://www.n-ssa.org/video/
Old 01-01-2018, 03:53 PM
AimSmallMissSmall

Thanked 1,745 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
thinking I want smooth bore for quicker shooting.
at the expense of better accuracy ??
Old 01-01-2018, 05:45 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post

Over the years I've gravitated to smoothbores. My go to gun (I use a flintlock for 90 percent of my hunting needs) is a colonial fowler. I find that accuracy is fine to about 50 yards, which is about as far as I realistically shoot in the West Virginia woods. When you start playing with shot loads though and begin to harvest squirrels, rabbits, turkeys etc with the same gun it gets addictive. "Eileen", as I call her, is my favorite of all my guns.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flinter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2018, 08:46 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustednail View Post
at the expense of better accuracy ??
This gun is fine for the range but needing to swab between shots makes a quick reload next to impossible. Maybe it will loosen / smooth up or maybe I need to try some thinner patches. Right now if I don't swab between shots I have to hammer the 2nd ball loading down the barrel which is a real PITA.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:00 PM
Survivor

I think I figured out my Fouling issue and possibly why it was so difficult to load a 2nd shot without swabbing between shots.

A few 3 months ago Midsouth Shooters Supply had a 35% off sale on all Hornady products. I placed a last minute, late night, order for 500rds of on sale Hornady ball and .010 thick patches.

I just went back checked my order confirmation. Here's the patches I was using.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...ness-(100-pack)

The description I missed reading or understanding states:
"Pre-oiled with a light, stainless oil specifically designed to inhibit rust and corrosion."

That's gotta be it. Whatever that stainless oil is - it was causing extreme fouling in my barrel. Then, of course, I was using those same lubed patches to swab between shots.
The Following User Says Thank You to drobs For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 04:10 PM
Target Shooter

DO not use any form of Petroleum product in a black powder firearm, It causes a sticky hard fouling, If this is a new gun start at 50 yards on a rest with about 60gr with your PRBs with about three different thickness pre lubed patches, 10, 15,20 also get a selection of PRBs 527, 530 and 535. The barrels on these rifles sometimes are a bit smaller or larger in diameter plus these barrels need to be seasoned( think of it like a cast iron pan) . Fire all your shots at the bull See which combo strikes the target the highest. clean the gun only with warm water or hot if you are at home then lube with Bore Butter or some other natural lube. This process will take sometimes up to 200 rounds.
The Following User Says Thank You to ssonb For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2018, 07:08 PM
Mad Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by drobs View Post
No luck Deer hunting so fired off the loaded round that I had in the GPR for the past week then loaded and fired one more round. Cleaned/oiled the gun for storage.

Finding the gun really needs to be swabbed between shots otherwise loading is difficult. Soon as I cleaned the gun I thought to myself - hmm should've loaded some undersized ball just for the heck of it.

been a N-ssa member for 25 years. gotta say those videos are nothing compared to being there.
The Following User Says Thank You to rjsixgun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2018, 12:44 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsixgun View Post
been a N-ssa member for 25 years. gotta say those videos are nothing compared to being there.
Looks like Tennessee would be the closest location for me. I find it odd this group hasn't made it west of the Mississippi.

N-SSA range map:
https://tinyurl.com/ybptcmhj
Old 07-27-2019, 02:21 PM

I hope it's not to late to reply to this post... I also have a Lyman Great Plains Rifle in .54 cal 1:60 twist. When using one Muzzleloaders Originals .010 patch with a .530 round ball I found my first round to hit low, I then doubled the patches and found great accuracy at both 31 yards and 59 yards on a 10" AR500 plate.

I'm using Alliant Black Mz 90 gr by volume, shooting 20 rounds fired without swabbing between shots, or during the course of fire. Clean up was a snap, and supper easy.

31 yards

Took photo after I got home, this was done at 59 yards
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cottonwood For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2019, 06:05 AM
Survivor

Nice shooting. I'll have to try some Black MZ in mine. I do have 10lbs of it. Supposedly Black MZ creates its own lubrication.

I'll give it a try this week. My GPR is so long it sits right at the front of my safe and I've been more or less tripping over it for the past couple of months. Will pull it out and give it another go.

I need to switch out the rear sight. Currently has the buckhorn rear sight on it which I'm not a fan of. Too much going on in the sight picture.
Old 10-07-2019, 06:05 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,360 Times in 1,415 Posts

I've won a number of matches with my Great Plains Rifle in 54 Cal using 70 grains of FFG.
The Following User Says Thank You to Spade For This Useful Post: