Snakes...eastern diamondback rattlesnake - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
got bit by a rattlesnake this weekend. bigskypreper Health, Fitness and First Aid 24 09-04-2013 04:11 PM
Here's what a Rattlesnake bite will do to you Fight4Freedom Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 68 09-15-2012 09:51 AM
Fried rattlesnake LowBird Food and water 11 04-02-2012 01:07 PM
Rattlesnake swen_out_west Recipes 5 10-15-2011 07:27 AM
MMM Rattlesnake dinner! Replicant General Discussion 22 09-19-2011 11:41 AM
Who likes snakes? Guy handling a deadly Eastern Cottonmouth caliguy2010 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 09-12-2010 03:47 PM
Rattlesnake!!! MountainRecluse General Discussion 0 08-02-2010 08:19 AM
rattlesnake and dog n2h2o Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 04-30-2010 02:33 PM
Rattlesnake Recipes RosesInWinter Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 10 08-23-2008 04:47 PM

Old 10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Dog Walker

Advertise Here

NE Diamonbacks are on the endangered list - so post your results carefully.

a well groomed lawn, cat, and/or dog should help.

Realize that a nest has lots, the neighbours dog and your sighting are seperate, there can be as many snakes as the food supply allows.

Not sure where you live, but early fall is rattler season in the Adirondacks.

Letting the dog run awhile before the kids go outside should keep the snakes away.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Lemon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2009, 10:37 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
heavy hoe about 2" behind head, gut, peel and roast over an open fire.
First off... Ask and ye shall receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrac View Post
Haha if he wants the cat give him the cat? lol or maybe I just dont like cats Or you can get a mongoose (like Riki-tiki-tavi), they are supposed to like killing snakes. And I think Badgers are too but dont hold me to that one, I may be mis-remembering info lol.
Got a Mongoose!

Second

There is no way my ex wife will ever jump on a snake 2'' behind the head....

Ba dum bum

Try the roasted rattler it's the house special...

Old 10-15-2009, 11:09 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFLU4U View Post
Not too crazy about cats either. It belongs to my kid. She would have been broken up if it had bit the cat. Kinda funny but the dog getting killed just made it a little more serious. Worried about the kids now...
Well hey in that case screw the cat, just make sure your little girl is safe and know not to go around the brush or log piles or any other dark place in the yard!
Old 10-15-2009, 11:12 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOFLU4U View Post
First off... Ask and ye shall receive.

Got a Mongoose!

Second

There is no way my ex wife will ever jump on a snake 2'' behind the head....

Ba dum bum

Try the roasted rattler it's the house special...

HAHA aww man, that is ironic. Well you got a Mongose and he has already said he would help kill a snake for you, now just to pay for that plane ticket
Old 10-15-2009, 11:23 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrac View Post
HAHA aww man, that is ironic. Well you got a Mongose and he has already said he would help kill a snake for you, now just to pay for that plane ticket
Nice tie in... Snakes on a plane.

All jokes aside. I really did not know anything about an eastern diamondback rattlesnake. Now I do... Thanks 2 all.

Last edited by NOFLU4U; 10-15-2009 at 11:30 PM..
Old 10-15-2009, 11:52 PM
Custom User Title

Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,028 Posts

Get some boxes or something with holes in them. Get some frozen or dead mice and put them in the boxes. The snake will eat it and sleep in the box. Go around and check all the boxes for the snake and shoot it.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:52 AM
Trapper

Found a new option!

These are the new model and are in high demand so you should expect about a 9 month wait...
Old 10-16-2009, 05:34 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon View Post
NE Diamonbacks are on the endangered list - so post your results carefully.

a well groomed lawn, cat, and/or dog should help.

Realize that a nest has lots, the neighbours dog and your sighting are seperate, there can be as many snakes as the food supply allows.

Not sure where you live, but early fall is rattler season in the Adirondacks.

Letting the dog run awhile before the kids go outside should keep the snakes away.
I'm in SW florida near Ft Myers on 2 acers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	200690568a.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	21364

I go out in what we call the back back and we have a rear horse gate to about 10-15 miles of powerline trails for riding the quad's. minibikes and Go cart. I will have to be more carefull when in the back back I had no idea we had rattlers around here.

We have armadillos we shoot them...

Black racer snakes we like them and don't shoot them. They come out and watch me mow the lawn.

Occasionally an Aligator turtle wanders into the yard we can't shoot, Endangered.

We see swamp buggys on the trails out in the back back

They hunt for hogs with dogs, Kinda cool.

It's going on the market soon so first 450k takes it and the snake. 1/2 price from 3 years ago OH Joy...

Last edited by NOFLU4U; 10-16-2009 at 07:01 AM..
Old 10-16-2009, 06:20 AM

There is a product called "snake away". I buy it at our local Ace Hardware. We put it out at our hunting cabin after finding a copperhead under one of the bunks several years ago. Have not had any snakes since. Does smell like moth balls, and when we go up before hunting season, we air it out for a day.
Then we spread it all around the outside of the cabin.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:01 AM
Target Shooter

Everyone has covered this pretty well ,so heres my little bit.Snake boots are a good investement if you work in the brush during snake season.Yes if you saw one theres another close by and this late and them moving ,you also probably have a den somewhere close (they will always return to the den for the winter).I live in serious timber rattler conutry and a 7 footer here is not that uncommon.I catch them with a 3pronged garden hoe put them in a 5 gal bucket and take them to the wildlife management area down the road.Ought to have seen the argument I had with a game warden about letting a 6 footer go on the area. Its been mentioned about King Snakes eating other snakes .There is a 7footplus king that lives in my fence row so luckly I don't have a problem with rattlers in the yard ,just the garden. Most dogs hate snake and will kill them if they can ( Dobermans are great at this and mine have killed several 6 foot plus snakes)Good luck and watch where you step.
The Following User Says Thank You to SurvivalDog56 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2009, 07:34 AM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurvivalDog56 View Post
Everyone has covered this pretty well ,so heres my little bit.Snake boots are a good investement if you work in the brush during snake season.Yes if you saw one theres another close by and this late and them moving ,you also probably have a den somewhere close (they will always return to the den for the winter).I live in serious timber rattler conutry and a 7 footer here is not that uncommon.I catch them with a 3pronged garden hoe put them in a 5 gal bucket and take them to the wildlife management area down the road.Ought to have seen the argument I had with a game warden about letting a 6 footer go on the area. Its been mentioned about King Snakes eating other snakes .There is a 7footplus king that lives in my fence row so luckly I don't have a problem with rattlers in the yard ,just the garden. Most dogs hate snake and will kill them if they can ( Dobermans are great at this and mine have killed several 6 foot plus snakes)Good luck and watch where you step.
I see you are from TN.

After we sell the home that's where we wan't to go... TN near or on douglass lake by the smokies. Guess the rattler issue was training for TN.

All great posts... I feel like a semi expert. Snake boots... Whodathunkit? Guess a trip to Tractor supply is in order! (I love that place)

Old 10-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Target Shooter

I'm not sure about east Tn. but around here is loaded.My part of Tn is mostly limestone so you have rattlers .South of me where it turns into red chert rock; you get into the copper heads .I can deal with the rattlers ,but don't want any part of those coppers!! Heres one for ya , about ten yrs ago I had a Dobie come in rattler bit and the fang marks were 3&3/4 inchs wide .Biggest I have seen were on a 7ft3in and were 2 &1/4 wide .How big is the other one ??
Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,833 Times in 578 Posts

They ae endangered. Just push it out of the yard with a broom or something. It's against the law to kill them. I never see them here. We have plenty of timber rattlers. They are larger, and the last several inches of their tail are black. I just push them with a broom and they go away. We found two at the end of the driveway one day.