Survivalist Forum banner

Lessons Learned From an Indoor Water Fall

1K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  Ramius 
#1 ·
Last night I had a very sobering experience…

Last winter I forgot to empty a CPVC water line that ran from my house, to my garage, and then to my pool. After hooking a hose up to the pipe at my pool to fill it, I turned on the water supply in the house. A few minutes later I was wondering why there was no water coming out of the pipe at the other end. I figured a valve must have been closed in the garage, so I walked inside…

An entire 20 foot length of pipe running across the ceiling had ruptured and a water fall was pouring down the one wall of my garage. If this wasn’t bad enough, 90% of my magazines and ammunition were directly under the pipe! I quickly turned off the water line in the house and inspected the damage to my goods.

Luckily all of my ammunition is stored in military ammo cans, so I was fortunate enough that none of it got wet. However, my AK-47 magazines were not so lucky. The day before I bought some additional magazines at a gun show and was in the process of putting them into an 81mm mortar can. I left the lid of the can open because I was not finished inspecting/cleaning the magazines from yesterday. Well…the mortar can was completely full of water! Now I have to clean all the magazines again. Urgh!

My lessons learned? Metal ammo cans are the BEST way to store ammunition and related gun supplies which you want to be kept dry. Accept no substitute! If you have any ammunition, store it in a dang can to avoid situations like the one I went through. You never know when Mr. Murphy will come about. I very easily could have lost most of the supplies I have been accumulating over the past 10 years. Financially, I would not have been able to replace everything. Protect your investments. Likewise, the cans only work if their lids are sealed! My second lesson learned is to always close up the lids to the cans when not in use. I’ve always followed this rule except for this one time and paid the price. Luckily the damage was minimal. The third and fourth lessons were to make sure all water is out of the water lines during the winter and make sure my vital supplies are not under a water line.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.