Ammo in a BOB - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How much ammo do you keep in your BOB? TX85 Firearms General Discussion 103 12-12-2014 11:26 AM
How to carry extra ammo in a BOB as efficiently as possible? TechPrepper Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 33 08-13-2013 02:44 PM
shotgun ammo for BOB TSnyder5133 Shotgun Forum 28 12-09-2012 12:10 PM
Shotgun ammo for BOB? Argartis Firearms General Discussion 19 10-17-2012 01:30 PM
How many rounds of ammo do you keep in your BOB? Mello Mike Reviews and questions 17 09-26-2012 10:43 PM
BOB Ammo Selection chemicaljake Firearms General Discussion 22 09-21-2012 04:09 PM
Ammo in BOB Riggs Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 23 11-04-2011 02:14 PM
how much ammo in bob? hamdizle Urban Survival 58 12-22-2010 06:32 PM
Humidity level for BOB ammo? steadfast Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 7 12-01-2010 09:46 PM
BOB ammo quanity question NicktheMedic Reviews and questions 14 05-18-2009 02:52 PM

Old 03-04-2016, 10:39 AM

Default Ammo in a BOB

Advertise Here

I've tried to prioritize what I personally need and my family needs in our BOBs. The ammo is where I'm stumped. I personally feel one box of ammo and few extra loaded mags for my pistol is enough. A BOB is only intended to get you through a short period of time. So, I feel the only area to go heavy in is the food and water. Different people have told me to carry a few hundred rounds. I just don't see the need to carry more ammo than I stated. Am I wrong?
Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Master Rationalizer

Thanked 4,436 Times in 1,252 Posts

Depends on your situation. Personally, I'm not "bugging out", I'm bugging home. I always carry, and keep 3 extra magazines. GHB is in the truck, sidearm is on me with all ammo, extra in my bag is a waste of space and unnecessary weight. Your situation may vary.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CORangefinder For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 11:26 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,180 Times in 1,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whosurdaddi View Post
I've tried to prioritize what I personally need and my family needs in our BOBs. The ammo is where I'm stumped. I personally feel one box of ammo and few extra loaded mags for my pistol is enough. A BOB is only intended to get you through a short period of time. So, I feel the only area to go heavy in is the food and water. Different people have told me to carry a few hundred rounds. I just don't see the need to carry more ammo than I stated. Am I wrong?
Here's the way I see it:
1) Weight matters when you have to hump it..
2) If you're gonna be in multiple gunfights, odds are that you will get wounded at some point. Taking the long way around a bad spot is a good tactic sometimes.
3) The BOB's mission is to get you safely from Point A to point B, not a six month deployment. It could get hairy at times, but you're not taking on the entire Taliban yourself.
4) You will want *some* ammo though.
5) You will only need as many as you will shoot, but you don't know how many rounds you will have to fire.

The amount you need depends on:
A) The distance (and time) you need to travel to your Point B, which should have a well-secured supply anyway.
B) The type of disaster that causes your primary location to be significantly less safe than your secondary. Natural disaster isn't going to be bad on day one, as people are too busy dodging the tornadoes, wildfires, flooding, etc . Rioting gets hairy immediately.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BBQ_Pork For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2016, 11:27 AM

Bugging out is my final option. I'm bugging in till I have no choice
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Whosurdaddi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,180 Times in 1,077 Posts

Quote:
Bugging out is my final option. I'm bugging in till I have no choice
That's usually the whole idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to BBQ_Pork For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 12:52 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,991 Times in 1,877 Posts

Don't let other people's Rambo fanatsies influence your thinking. Traveling with your family food/water are more important.(instead of spending money for more ammo spent it on a good water purifier that meets the need for your area, then buy more ammo) This will allow you to carry less water. In any situation while traveling, where you need hundreds of rounds of ammo, the odds of coming out alive is up there with winning powerball. Goes without saying you should cache ammo at your bug out location.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to seawind For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 01:13 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,473 Times in 10,269 Posts

You need to clarify what weapon you are packing, and it's expected use. Anything I have that uses magazines I have 5 for that are tuned to unit. Damage to magazines is way to easy.

So if you are in an area where you could supplement your food supply with a firearm then maybe more ammo is good. Depends on the caliber and if you can use a chamber adapter effectively. A 12 gauge with a 22 LR for example, a coupe of hundred 22 weigh about the same as a box of 25 shotguns shells.

With an adapter you could shoot 32ACP in your 7.62x51 battle rifle weight wise 4 or 5 to one? The 32ACP would catch a rabbit or a grouse maybe a deer if you can get close enough.

If you are packing ammo just for combat, chances of getting past the second magazine are low.
Old 03-04-2016, 01:18 PM
Prepared

A BOB needs to have enough ammo to get you to your BOL, where hopefully you have more ammo. If you don' thave a BOL with more supplies, then really it's a INCH bag (I'm Not Coming Home) and you'll need a lot more ammo. But if this is really for a GHB (Get Home Bag), it's just enough to get you back home where you have most of your ammo stored.

IMO, a BOB or GHB only needs 50-100 rounds, loaded in magazines (unless your BOL or Home is hundreds of miles away and you hav eto go on foot - in which case, you're not doing it right). An INCH bag needs to have as much as you can carry, balancing need for ammo with other needs like food, clothing, shelter, etc.

But it all depends on when and how you expect to be able to reach or acquire more supplies, how far away that is, what your mode of transport is, etc. There is no one answer.

If you are on foot though, I can't imagine humping more than 12 loaded magazines. Even that might be too much.

Last edited by BMassBMore; 03-04-2016 at 01:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Front Towards Enemy

Thanked 1,506 Times in 385 Posts

I am accustomed to going heavy on armament and ammunition, and light on everything else. Everyone is different, and must pack their BOB according to the particulars of their environment, health, comfort, training, and how long they think they'll have to live out of it. The BOB is only a small part of, and should fit in with the rest of your survival/emergency plans. Pack what you feel you need to get you safely to the rest of your stuff.

As for me, I have multiple, well-stocked caches at multiple BOL's where I can resupply with food, water, first aid supplies, etc, and because of this, I personally feel that I can carry more ammo than most people in a similar situation. My BOB contains 200 rounds of 7.62X39 on stripper clips, 100 rounds of .45 ball, and a meager handful of 12 gauge OObuck. All that food and water won't do you any good if you're too dead to use them, right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lt. Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 01:27 PM
Hillbilly By***!

Thanked 1,669 Times in 683 Posts

I carry 200 rounds in my GHB but if I do my job, I'll never fire a shot and if I really do my job, I'll never present a weapon.. It's just there just in case, my brain and my Marine training are my weapons.. The gun is just a tool and I hope to never use it. If you plan on getting in gunfights as soon as SHTF you wont be around long. You ever been shot at?
It's chaos! At first you're scared ****less then you get ****ed then the you turn it on..
Nope, not me.. I am avoiding people and and talking the path less traveled even if it takes me 3 days to get there.. I'd rather carry extra food and water than a ton of ammo..
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Confederate Grey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 02:05 PM
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Thanked 32,120 Times in 7,664 Posts

I carry about 100-150 loose plus 3 mags full for M&P Shield and 4 mags full for Glock 19 for a total of in the 200 +- range. I cannot imagine a scenario where I would need that much, but would rather have it than not. Since I carry 2 firearms, if I'm with someone else it could be divided between us. (I'm keeping the Glock if the S has HTF. )
Old 03-04-2016, 02:08 PM
Apocaloptimist

Thanked 6,503 Times in 1,722 Posts

Im a little over kill. If I can carry it, I will. That said, I have about 500 round of .40S&W loaded in mags and some loose double-bagged in plastic in my BOB or on my person. I do not carry any rifle ammunition because I do not carry a rifle around everywhere I go. I have that at the house and the BOL.
Old 03-04-2016, 02:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 74,384 Times in 22,899 Posts

I'm an Iraq combat vet, so that likely colors my choices.

Many things I can do without.
I can go hungry, I can shiver, I can (have) worn the same clothes for a month.

But ammo and water are 2 things that when you need it, brother you NEED it!

I can always pour water out, leave smmo in the truck, or throw it in a ditch.
I roll heavy.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 02:43 PM
Time to melt snowflakes!

Thanked 66,357 Times in 22,045 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I'm an Iraq combat vet, so that likely colors my choices.

Many things I can do without.
I can go hungry, I can shiver, I can (have) worn the same clothes for a month.

But ammo and water are 2 things that when you need it, brother you NEED it!

I can always pour water out, leave smmo in the truck, or throw it in a ditch.
I roll heavy.
A person can go some time without food, but water? Not so much. Water is probably one of the most important supplies.

I don't have any rounds in my bag, but my standard carry is two to four spare magazines, so I have around sixty to seventy five rounds on my person or vehicle anyway.
Old 03-04-2016, 04:41 PM

Quote:
I think you're on the right track and many commentators here have discussed the bug out bag, INCH bag, bug in, bug out location, staging points, etc. What hasn't been discussed that I've read is the skill level with the tool being used. You mention you, "feel one box of ammo and few extra loaded mags for my pistol is enough," but you don't mention what firearm that is for or what your proficiency is with that firearm.

I typically feel very comfortable with fifty rounds of ammunition for a tuned revolver in .357 Magnum, .45 Colt, or .44 Magnum. In fact, for a bug out bag alone I feel like this is probably excessive. I will typically have more in my car, more at home, more at my bug out location, more at staging points on the way out of my work area and more at staging points on the way into my bug out location, but fifty in my back pack is enough.

That said, I have typically carried a tuned revolver that I shoot five hundred to a thousand rounds of ammunition per month in silhouette competition and "for fun" and sometimes in IDPA competition. When shooting for fun and competition I use loads that have similar ballistics to my carry round. In other words I need one round to hit a man sized target at distances in excess of a hundred yards, and that one round is going to be a 125g JHP at 1350fps (505fpe) at a minimum. The .44 Magnum I'm having built now I will probably carry with a 240g JPH at 1250fps (833fpe).

If you carry a .38 Special snubnose loaded with 158g JHP at 850fps (253fpe) that you practice with at fifteen yards or less, your requirements will be significantly different than mine. While many disagree with me based on the posts I read here, I am of the opinion that it is the rounds that hit the target that are important.

You can't miss fast enough to win a gunfight.

There certainly is a valid use for volume of fire. Military tactics, doctrine, and engagement have proven this time and again. However, as many have said on this thread and others, in bugging out the intention is to avoid conflict rather than engage in it. Further, while volume and sustained fire may be appropriate in a firefight such as the battle of La Drang valley, unless you have Huey's bringing in ammo that's not really a sustainable strategy.

My recommendation is that you prioritize water and emergency stores. Practice with your weapon of choice until you feel OVERGUNNED with FEWER rounds. Some people will never get skilled or comfortable enough to hit a man sized target at over a hundred yards. In that case you would probably be better served by something like a take down 10/22 with a few boxes of hot 22lr than with a pistol.

I often read comments along the vein that, "Anything over fifty yards isn't defensive." Careful study of political unrest here and around the world in the past half century proves this to be untrue. I personally want to be able to engage, with reasonable confidence, hostile shooters at distances of up to a city block. I envision (as a very, very bad scenario), being confronted by "bad guys" up close who have a "sniper" on a roof a few buildings down the street. I want to be able to engage both the up close threat and the "sniper" with my primary weapon. I do not feel the need for a double tap to the chest with 240g JHP .44 Magnums at 1250fps. And yes, in almost any environment my handgun IS my primary weapon as it is the only one that I can feel almost certain I will virtually always have with me. IF I have an M1A in my hands of course I will be more than happy to shoot bad guys with it... but my hands may be holding one end of a litter, carrying a child, helping an injured comrade, etc. I will virtually always have my revolver on me.

You can train and improve your skills with your primary weapon. You cannot train hard enough to reduce your reliance (or that of your family and comrades) on water, shelter, medical treatment, etc. Carry the things you cannot train against, train for those things you can. Study and practice to improve your situational awareness and learn to "blend" (gray man) to try and avoid confrontation.

Finally, and I ONLY mention this as a very, very, very worst possible case... If confronted with bad guys you might find that one well placed round to prove that you're not someone to be trifled with might discourage the others.

Namaste
Kate
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elisavaet For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2016, 04:51 PM
ΙΧΘΥΣ

Thanked 32,120 Times in 7,664 Posts

I think, too, it depends on how far you are going to be from where you are going. I travel for work and if stuck at the furthest point I go from my home, it would take me some time to make my way back. If I was likely to be within 30 miles of home, I wouldn't carry nearly as much.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:18 PM

Well... I have my XD9 that I can shoot the nuts off a nat with. Or my glock 43 which is lighter but a single stack. But I'm barely proficient with because I find it a little difficult to have consistent groups with past 7 yards.
These are not my only pistols, but I see the merits of having either/or or possibly both.
The Following User Says Thank You to Whosurdaddi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2016, 10:31 AM
The Lieutenant

Thanked 2,160 Times in 885 Posts

Several magazines readily accessible. A box of 50 for spares to reload the mags with AFTER any firearms use. Just as in bushcraft, always prepare for the next fire, for personal protection, always prepare for the next firefight!
I don't remember how many spare mags I have in my GHB, at least 4 or 5, plus two on me. I have around 50 to 60 spare rounds in my homemade "battle packs". I laid out rounds in a row in a seal a meal bag and suck & sealed them for a waterproof compact package.
That's for the 9mm pistol. I have a spare .380 pistol and extra rounds for it hidden in the SUV for backup, 2nd person, and ammo compatible for my wife's EDC pistol. Planning on adding my new to me AR7 to the SUV with a couple Altoids tins jammed full of .22LR. Working on sound silencing them.
GHB Ammo considerations are about breaking contact, surviving and getting home, not prolonged firefights.
The Following User Says Thank You to boomerweps For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Remove Kebab

Thanked 9,072 Times in 2,546 Posts

I regularly carry 43 rounds in 3 magazines as part of my daily carry. That's just on my belt. Perhaps instead of a bag you could put on a belt with mag pouches and a med kit already on it. Saves you room in your bags and carrying on your belt is comfortable and easy access.
Old 03-05-2016, 11:15 AM
Just some dude on the net

Thanked 8,210 Times in 1,918 Posts

My GHB has three rifle mags, and three 33 round Glockmags. I also carry two extra G17 mags. Plus the mag in the AK, and the mag in my G19.

That gives me a total of 120 7.62x39 and 148 9mm. Honestly that's probably more then I need...

I figure that's enough to get me back to the house and through a limited gun battle. But honestly I don't see any reason to carry a bunch of ammo, I'm a single person and would prefere to avoid a fight if I was on my own. The main goal is to get back to the house where I can resupply and hunker down.

I agree with what has already been said before about water and food being more important. Also like someone already said in the thread having a ton of ammo would not only slow you down but also predisposition you to the looking for a fight mentality rather then avoiding one.
The Following User Says Thank You to JoshTF For This Useful Post: