"Rambo" survival knife - Page 3 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Knives, Swords & Axes Survival knives, multi-tools, gerber, buck, cold steel, leather man.....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Survival Knife" - How would you pack a hollow handle? Mudcat Stew Knives, Swords & Axes 79 12-20-2015 04:40 PM
Revisiting the "big blade" survival knife debate... SirThrivalist Knives, Swords & Axes 71 09-04-2015 11:32 AM
Best "pocket/folding/survival" knife? Big.T Knives, Swords & Axes 40 03-30-2015 11:43 PM
Question about a knife for "survival" mcswood Knives, Swords & Axes 24 03-22-2014 08:11 PM
Excellent! Knife Throwing as a "Survival Skill" GunnyHiway New Member Introduction 16 12-15-2013 11:25 PM
Media coins nutjob as a "survivalist/rambo" type NoMoreOp4 Controversial News and Alternative Politics 14 06-19-2011 12:05 PM
"Iron Age" Survival Knife Contest Karmakraze Knives, Swords & Axes 16 10-25-2010 11:56 PM
The "Survival Knife" perspective Rhino78 Knives, Swords & Axes 27 05-17-2010 08:08 PM
Double Review: Maglight "SOLITARE" and "Value Tools" Folding Knife Duncan Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 05-22-2007 10:02 AM

Old 04-18-2020, 03:09 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,416 Times in 6,660 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 375H&H View Post
Schrade is now making one that is all one piece of steel like Reeves'. I forget what they call it. Look in their catalog.
https://www.amazon.com/Schrade-SCHF1.../dp/B001CZFPSE
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2020, 09:40 AM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 11,057 Times in 3,910 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamppapa View Post
Schrade made at least 2 models, and I bought 2. They are great
knives that have a bit kit inside. Only downside is they are a bit
heavy. Cold steel has some hollow handle knives I own also.
One is a bit tougher than the Schrade, lighter, but the handle
is not as useful for holding things because it has no screw on
lid. The other one has the lid but is light duty.

Things have changed since this thread started. You can buy
a hollow handled knife and carefully baton with it with no
problems if your careful. I know, some here hate to baton
with a knife.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:14 AM
Hiker

What has changed is that, outside a few rare factory cheapos, like Shrade, all the quality custom makers are gone, even more so the big ones. Reeve stopped making them in 2009, newt Martin died in 2017(?), Colin Cox died in 2012. RDW made a few big ones but also stopped years ago. Lile closed in 2001. Parrish is gone. The only serious hollow handle maker still active outside Randall is Greg Wall, who makes fairly accurate homages to Lile Randall Parrish and Crain. Good stuff but a near four month wait half paid up front, which seems to me on the high side for a mere order. Otherwise His prices are fair. Other than that, the old stuff is very rare even on eBay, where it used to be plentiful.... the only common big high quality hollow handle these days is the al mar sf-10, which oddly enough used to be rare....
Old 04-26-2020, 06:09 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 11,057 Times in 3,910 Posts

I have seen a few torture tests over the years and from what
I have seen the Schrade is tougher than the Chris Reeve its
a copy of

It's heavier than what I like, but for what it is, its
a high value knife.
Old 04-27-2020, 06:25 PM
The Black Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zodiac. View Post
I'm looking for a durable survival knife with the compartment in the handle and a screw-on compass. I've searched and can't seem to find anything but cheap Rambo knock-offs.

I want to minimize what I have to carry on me on some of my ventures out into the woods and being able to store matches, fishing line,hooks,iodine tube and a compass in the knife is a plus to me. A knife like this would give me options.......and I like having options.

Anyone have a lead?
Ed Martin Knives

http://edmartinknives.com/AVAILABLE.html
Old 05-29-2020, 12:17 AM

Anyone telling you that hollow handle knives are a bad idea and are prone to breaking haven't handled or used a Chris Reeve hollow handle knife. They are made of one continuous piece of steel. Extremely well made and will last a freaking life time. Almost all other hollow handle knives are made so that the blade attaches to the hollow handle and then attaches to a buttcap. This type of design can be weak due to the multiple places for failure. This isnt the case with the Chris Reeve hollow handle knives.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:51 AM
Hiker

The Reeves knives are out of production and very expensive.

They are also painted which wears off, and Carbon steel which rusts.

Edge holding of the Reeves is nothing special. 420 or 440 is often significantly better on this point.

The narrow “fighting” blade of the Jereboam Mk II (8.9” blade) 1.4” tall, has a tendency to roll when chopping because of the narrowness combined with a Sabre grind... (It bounces the Sabre grind shoulders on the V cut)

The strength of the one piece construction is irrelevant, as separate piece handles are equally strong. That point is always irrelevant to good construction...

A better hollow handle to my mind is the current Mission copy called the Master Cutlery Rambo II: wider 1.8” wide 10” blade and excellent 420J steel that is easy to sharpen and also stainless. Even the leather sheath is excellent at 3/4” thick, and comparable to the Reeve sheath for $100 vs $12000 for an old Reeve.

The MC R2 does require edge sharpening but so does the Reeve... Bevel the saw tops to make the saw do 1/2” notches, sharpen the edge and return clicking handle ones until you get a perfectly tight handle: Once you get a tight one you have something totally indestructible, certainly even better than an original Lile (which were rougher in finish!)... And for all that it is barely over $100 US. Add padded bike handle tape and you have something that feels like a Kraton handle and makes it a truly unbeatable survival tool. Don’t trust the “experts” who treat those as wall hangers: They beat most customs (but do not confuse Master Cutlery with the older United Cutlery Rambos, which have huge problems)

Gaston
Old 06-01-2020, 06:02 AM
Prepared

one piece NO hollow handle forged knives are the strongest, in a good sheath you can store a lot of things