Mtn Wilderness Survival Retreat Experiences with 60 + pics - Page 55 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pictures of your bug out retreat/permanent wilderness shelter Psyclops DIY - Do It Yourself 6 07-07-2016 06:22 AM
New pics on my remote mtn survival retreat (2013 - Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 119 11-19-2014 07:16 PM
Nice cabin pics where I worked & mtn retreat I Lived Summer 2010 ( Pic Heavy ) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 123 06-17-2014 07:33 PM
A Real Wilderness Retreat Akita Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 08-18-2013 06:00 PM
New Pics of my mtn Survival Retreat Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 413 05-31-2013 01:19 PM
New pics showing more of my BOL / mtn retreat, bunker and Solar setup (pic heavy) Mtnman Mike Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 26 04-08-2013 08:03 PM
Illinois Wilderness Retreat Project! ForrestSpaceModule Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 20 02-26-2012 08:51 AM
Wilderness camp program experiences? smallbrat Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 0 01-11-2011 09:26 PM
Long-term survival. Wilderness and rural retreat. Le Loup Australia and New Zealand 0 07-22-2009 09:56 PM

Old 06-29-2019, 10:52 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,757 Times in 953 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnman Mike View Post
That's a neat cabin, it would look good on your property!
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2019, 08:35 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Thanked 23,535 Times in 4,799 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 2

I will give updates as things / events in my life occur but right now especially this time of the year around the 4th of July >>

Many possibly have not seen this or saw it and ignore it, don't believe it for whatever reasons they might have etc. Possibly most people all over the world even are brainwashed aka indoctrinated aka educated. It is not easy to believe but the more one has studied and knows then likely the more one knows some things are true including this quote >

Quote:
More and more people are realizing the following. I have realized it for more than thirty years and now finally am ready to move to the hopefully only place I feel and know that I am most free and where I can do much of the following without getting permission to build, work and Live! Much more to come as I finally DO permanently hopefully for the rest of my life, what I have been able to do quite a bit since I bought my remote mtn land in 1987.

This quote goes along with the above quote and it may or may not have been said or written by Jefferson but still a great quote >

Here are some real proven quotes from Thomas Jefferson and hope many will read, understand and even use them sometimes. People need to have strong beliefs, hopefully true and good beliefs. Many hundreds of quotes I could post but for the 4th of July aka Independence Day which Jefferson was the main author here are more of his writings. If it is possible then many should read the Declaration of Independence also written by Jefferson If it is possible that many did not know that.

A few of Jefferson's quotes on liberty >

On personal liberty: “Under the law of nature, all men are born free, every one comes into the world with a right to his own person, which includes the liberty of moving and using it at his own will. This is what is called personal liberty, and is given him by the author of nature, because necessary for his own sustenance.”

On law and liberty: “Liberty . . . is unobstructed action according to our will: but rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will, within the limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add ‘within the limits of the law’; because law is often but the tyrant’s will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual.”

On the purpose of government: “The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government.”

On government and tyranny: “Whereas it appeareth that however certain forms of government are better calculated than others to protect individuals in the free exercise of their natural rights, and are at the same time themselves better guarded against degeneracy, yet experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms, those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny . . . ”

On limiting government: If we can but prevent the government from wasting the labours of the people, under the pretence of taking care of them, they must become happy.”

On resisting government intrusion: “The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all.”

The best quote I have found regarding survival, preparedness and such things is this one which far too many immediately reject because they hate the Bible and such great wonderful things and writings >>>

“The prudent see danger and take precautions. The simple go blindly on and suffer.” – Prov. 27:12

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 06:55 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,576 Times in 2,515 Posts

Mike, I know you are leaving for the mountain next week. I want to wish you a heartfelt good luck on your venture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:

Old 07-02-2019, 09:24 AM
Geezer In Training

Thanked 1,775 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
More and more people are realizing the following. I have realized it for more than thirty years and now finally am ready to move to the hopefully only place I feel and know that I am most free and where I can do much of the following without getting permission to build, work and Live! Much more to come as I finally DO permanently hopefully for the rest of my life, what I have been able to do quite a bit since I bought my remote mtn land in 1987.

This is SOOO true, my friend...
and it gets truer every day...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OKGlocker For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,757 Times in 953 Posts

Wishing you the best!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eddie_T For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 09:30 PM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
Mike, I know you are leaving for the mountain next week. I want to wish you a heartfelt good luck on your venture.
Thanks and I haven't seen you post for a long while. Guess you have read many possibly all of my posts in this thread anyway. I never wiill know everyone who has read unless they respond, post, send me an email or other message or even a thanks. Mtnairkin is one of the very few who has actually seen my mtn retreat and he saw WR also in mid June 2014 when there was still a lot of snow up there.

I should try to make a list of everyone who has seen my land before I do forget. I have forgotten many names but they might come back to me. I won't post real names of people on this internet though. I am not absolutely certain of the exact day that I am going to Finally move to my mtn place since the boss guy of the work crew who will move me will not give me an exact day.

I know I have told in some emails and private messages but not sure if I posted the following. I don't have time or inclination to look back on all of my posts. But the boss guy I have met in person when I bought a large Husqvarna chainsaw from him seems like two years ago now. He told me that he will have a work crew of six guys so it will be 8 men including me.
Hope I won't be the weakest guy but I am more out of shape than I ever remember. Just too much watching tv, which I am very sick of watching since May 2018 when I had the amputations. No tv etc. on my land unless I get a satellite dish and I am not planning to get one of those very soon If ever.

I must be moved up there before mid July though and I most likely will tell the day I am moving as soon as I know.
I will also post from my land if possible. I know I can send texts and call from a cell phone. I have never tried a smart phone up there though and will see what happens.

I know I will get back in shape just from walking around on my land plus moving huge amounts of stuff, from all kinds of food to put iinto storage to much firewood. Moving the firewood closer to the woodstoves I will be using. I have five woodstoves and the largest one is in the back of my large F-350 truck. That woodstove has been in the back of the truck since Nov. 2017.

The boss of the work crew told me it would cost me about $3,000 and hope it won't be more than that. No other moving company, friend or relative will move me and I think and hope this work crew will move all of my stuff as high up on my driveway as possible. Hope they will listen to me and do what I need done. I likely won't hire anymore work crews and hope I can build all that I need to build by myself. I have much built already and mainly just have to clean and organize it all during the coming few years. Much more to write about all of that later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGlocker View Post
This is SOOO true, my friend...
and it gets truer every day...
I think many things are true although many or maybe it is most people do not want to believe that many things are true. I hope to do many of the things that my Dad and even most other of my ancestors did such as what was listed in that meme. I maybe will do more since I doubt any of my ancestors built a bunker. I know that my grandparents had a great root cellar where they stored many jars of food from their large garden. They lived on very little money also which I must go back to doing that and only one place I know where I can live on little money, once I get things bought and built and also only the one place I know where I have and where I can be more Free than anywhere else I know about.

I won't go into all of that again but I have posted plenty about what I think and believe. Anyone can ask me more and I will likely answer if I am able to answer. But after mid July give or take a few days I will be off grid more than anyone I know. Possibly too off grid to have any iinternet which would actually be a good thing for the next few months anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post

Wishing you the best!
Thanks Eddie. I think it was a year or two ago I never knew about you. You seem to like everything I post or at least hit the thanks button. I know that many possibly don't have a thanks button if they are using a smart phone but I still think that many are thankless, don't like what I and many others post or just don't care..

And Eddie it is eerie that you found a photo of what looks far too much like me looking down onto the valley below my mountain land. It especially looks smoky hazy like that during many summers when there are distant forest fires even from many hundreds of miles away in AZ and CA. I must take more pics of that valley although possibly I can find a pic that is similar if I get more time to search. Thank you everyone for still coming here to this remote pic thread. Sort of a joke there but this seems remote and safer than most of the net and even other parts of this S-boards.

This has been pretty much my blog for at least ten years now. Not sure if I will post a lot more but I plan to post as much as I can if I still get internet over the next year or more. Thanks again to everyone even to any lurking out there wherever.... I will try to post more in the next few days but anymore just never know.... Thanks and take care everyone....
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 06:14 AM
Climate change advocate

Thanked 28,425 Times in 10,121 Posts

Quote:
The boss of the work crew told me it would cost me about $3,000 and hope it won't be more than that. No other moving company, friend or relative will move me and I think and hope this work crew will move all of my stuff as high up on my driveway as possible. Hope they will listen to me and do what I need done. ....
I wish you luck Mike although I have my doubts about you succeeding.

However, on this part I quoted. If you are paying people to do a job then they darn well better do it or you don't pay them. I have found through life that there are very few times you can just go along and hope that others will be responsible. You don't go to a Hardware store and hope that when you pay for a 2x4 that they will give you one instead of a excuse. Not to say that everything works out exactly as you contract for because it almost never does. But never forget you are the one paying the bill.

It is no fun being a demanding hard ass. Just necessary sometimes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 09:08 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
I wish you luck Mike although I have my doubts about you succeeding.

However, on this part I quoted. If you are paying people to do a job then they darn well better do it or you don't pay them. I have found through life that there are very few times you can just go along and hope that others will be responsible. You don't go to a Hardware store and hope that when you pay for a 2x4 that they will give you one instead of a excuse. Not to say that everything works out exactly as you contract for because it almost never does. But never forget you are the one paying the bill.

It is no fun being a demanding hard ass. Just necessary sometimes.
Ok I must answer this and then get back to packing another box of stuff. I have at least 8 boxes of stuff in this motel, mainly food and other items of value. My clothing, two expensive very warm down coat and a vest are packed in extremely heavy duty plastic bags.

Sometimes I write too much or too fast. I trust this guy more than any stranger since I have gotten to know him, mainly on facebook but he has friends whom I have known since my school days. And I met this guy with the work crew almost two years ago when I bought a very nice large almost new Husqvarna chainsaw from him, $300 less than the store price.

I have to travel to the small town he is in then ride with him and his crew. He is bringing two large pickup trucks etc. I won't pay all until the job is done but I will pay for his fuel etc. He has never told me in writing but from all of his posts on FB and what he has told me some he sounds like a survivalist / prepper. He is very conservative, likes Trump and likes what many on this S-boards like and I won't go into all of that but people can imagine.

I don't really like this quote but it is appreciated and just motivates me to succeed. I wish you luck Mike although I have my doubts about you succeeding. I bought my land in July 1987 and have spent most summers up there camping, working, doing All kinds of survival etc etc etc. I have survived and thrived and plan to finally do it full time no matter what. If I had went up to my land a couple years ago without experiencing what I have experienced this past year or so then I may not have succeeded in living up there even completely thru the long terrible winters up there.

THIS is what has motivated me more than ever and has shown me at least, that I survived almost dying and I will not let that happen again. >>>

Proof that this is me showing my amputated big toe. All for now unless there are comments or questions anyone might have. >

I Hope to get back to hiking in July at least around my rugged mountain almost four acres and maybe even cross country skiing and snow shoeing as shown in this pic taken of me near a snow cave I and an ex Green Beret from Cheyenne built in April 1999 >

If I am even in half as good physical and mental condition as I was back then in April 1999 then I will be plenty good enough to do what I need to do. I can walk, even run if I have to. I can carry much, not as much as I did twenty plus years ago but I can still do a great deal and I am more motivated and prepared than I ever have been.

I now have a few months supply of food and I have already contacted the main guy who can obtain a great deal more food and supplies for me. I mainly need more stored food since I have an over abundance of water - the two good springs - and I have at least 4 sheds packed full of much. This guy and his family who have the best store for many miles is where I plan to buy more and even get things delivered here if I cannot get stuff delivered right up to my gate / driveway. > http://www.riversidegarageandcabins.com

I have planned this since 1987 when I first saw my mountain retreat land so I should be more ready than almost anyone. This is a do or die kinda "adventure / expedition / LIFE " - my very last chance and so I will try and DO or fail and die and anyway more updates as things - events occur. Sincerely, more serious than ever MMMike
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 09:37 AM
Climate change advocate

Thanked 28,425 Times in 10,121 Posts

Quote:
... This is a do or die kinda "adventure / expedition / LIFE " - my very last chance and so I will try and DO or fail and die and anyway more updates as things - events occur. Sincerely, more serious than ever MMMike
Just have fun, and if don't work out, don't let it kill you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 10:08 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Just have fun, and if don't work out, don't let it kill you.
Thanks and my kinda "fun" is different than most people's idea of fun. I will be working physically harder than ever although I will pace myself. Being by myself then I can do as much as fast or as slow as I need to. I am going to try harder than ever to Not kill myself with too much stress, exertion or carelessness. I have since 1982 called myself a Survivalist and that means to survive even thrive no matter what may happen. If / when I do die I hope it will be on my mountain but I also hope I won't die for at least twenty or more years from now.

The following is what I know, believe and Do > I never called my mtn place a BOL until I joined this S-boards but I have and still call it a survival retreat. Now my retirement retreat and place to survive as long as possible whatever may come. A retreat is a place to go to Live, Not die. It's a place out of the mainstream of events that contains the means to survive without outside support. It is defensible and built with the understanding of what the dangers might be.

This is also the best quote I have ever found on what motivates me. Even if people are atheists - I am the opposite of an atheist for the most part - but anyone can and probably should believe and do this > “The prudent see danger and take precautions. The simple go blindly on and suffer.” – Prov. 27:12
Old 07-03-2019, 10:52 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post

Wishing you the best!
I finally found this photo that looks pretty similar to the one you posted Eddie. This photo was taken a few years ago from my sunny hillside looking to the east. The beautiful Snowy Range mountains in southern Wyoming seen in the distance are about 30 miles to the east of my land and the Continental Divide.
The top of the Divide is about one mile west of my land.

Part of my 2 plus mile long private road that I share with a couple dozen other people is shown at the bottom of this pic. Most of those people are only up there some weekends in the summer. Very very few up there from late Sept. to June.

I wonder where Eddie's photo was taken? Could be anywhere but I would bet it is somewhere in the Rocky Mountains although I suppose it could be in CA ? The shape of the foothills is especially what got me to wondering. The distant mountains are a bit similar but not exactly like mine.

I will have to take more photos this next summer, even for the next many summers as long as I have a functioning camera.
I also hope any human visitors will take pics. I won't say more about non-human visitors. Anyway hope many see what I see in comparing these two pics. It is much better in real life.
Old 07-06-2019, 08:15 AM
Tested in the Wilderness

Awards Showcase

Guess I should post one last time. One of these very likely will be my last post although if and when I do get online I will post if possible. I also Hope to make a blog or at least a paper journal. I might create a long pic post even thread in September or so. Here are some meme's - pics that help explain much of what I am doing and going to do within the next few hours - day or two. >>>

Within the next year or two or three I should build something like this. I Must build a log garage over my Palomini camper trailer before Oct. 2019 though. I like this pic and if possible I might build this also >

I must believe this and hope it will also be true for many. For me it will be true in a few hours finally >

A small but doable cabin I can build. I have some solar panels and two gasoline generators plus 5 woodstoves. I will use the newest largest woodstove the most. >

Hope this coming Christmas 2019 I can have something like this photo. I could have a campfire but more likely I will have a large woodstove going. I will not have a cat or dog - maybe someday. It would be much more likely I would have a squirrel or pine marten and such.

Just hope I will be on my land for possibly twenty more Christmas' even if I will have to be alone without people. My people up there are mainly the wild creatures and possibly any neighbors with cabins who might stop by....

Getting no message, no response, no thanks, no likes even on facebook is a message. Possibly the message that people don't care. I try to at Least thank / like many posts. Sorry if I have ever ignored or offended anyone.

Beginning in a few days I will be very off grid, off line, off suciety as I like to say. Being off on my mountain place, retreat and where I should and hope to be for at least the next twenty years. I likely will not be able to post or even see facebook unless someday I get a satellite dish. Will see.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, liked and thanked my posts and just been there. I would like to be there for everyone but not possible sometimes. I do wish everyone a good possibly even happy life. I am Finally going to do what I need and want to do from now on. I wish I could have a good lady to share my life with but Maybe someday. Take care everyone...

This is Finally going to happen soon for me when I finally move up to my mountain place, my retirement cabin, site and vacation spot. I bought my mountain land - only 3 and 1/2 acres in July 1987 and most summers since I have been able to Live up there all summer, camping, working, building and Doing what I need and want to do. Finally I will be able to do all of that and more permanently everyday year round. In a few hours actually....

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mtnman Mike For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 09:53 AM
Bear Magnet

Thanked 5,983 Times in 2,101 Posts

None of those cabins will work up there Mike. You should build a very steep A frame.
You and I both know how it can snow up there and one of these years, you're going to have one of those 20+ feet of snow winters.

If you're going to make it through this coming winter you better get busy sawing and splitting firewood. You're going to need, at the very least, four cords.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biathlon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 PM

And mountain mike slips off mysteriously to survive in the wilderness again....god speed sir
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lawnmower For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 12:32 AM
Bazinga!

Thanked 2,620 Times in 1,059 Posts

Best of luck Mike - keep us updated as well as you can....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad-max For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 03:28 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 2,226 Times in 811 Posts

If ever I wished someone could have their dreams come true and succeed, it is you. My son, Robbie would love this as he wished to live this life you are planning but it was not to be for him.

My husband and I truly wanted to visit and help with your move and we were planning our trip out west. I guess it was not meant to be as our son, Robbie passed away not quite 2 weeks ago. We are devastated and a trip is not possible right now. I do hope one day I can visit you.

Live free, my friend. We only get 1 life so live it your way and thrive. I will always consider you my friend and I want you to remember that there are people who care about you and want to hear how you are doing. Take care of yourself.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sherrieallen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 02:02 PM
begger of beer

Got a text message back from MMM. he is up there and moved. Not any more info.

Iím sure he is busy. Did say he doesnít plan any trips to town for awhile. Iíll pass along any details if I do hear from him. -K
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedweller View Post
Got a text message back from MMM. he is up there and moved. Not any more info.

Iím sure he is busy. Did say he doesnít plan any trips to town for awhile. Iíll pass along any details if I do hear from him. -K
Thanks for the heads up on MMM.
FWIW, this has turned into a really crappy site, with pop ups springing up constantly. I'm not sure how much more of this I want to put up with?
I have only been coming back to see what's going on in MMM's world.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ballenxj For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2019, 01:08 PM
begger of beer

Iím not having pop up issues, but might have to do with being on my iPad. I hear you about this site. Too much noise to filter through to find quality information. Every thread seems to be a link or YT video followed by a bunch of useless comments.

As for this thread. MMM doesnít have any plans to travel to town for a while. He said maybe Labor Day. There should be some good post showing up a week or so after Labor Day

-K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
Thanks for the heads up on MMM.
FWIW, this has turned into a really crappy site, with pop ups springing up constantly. I'm not sure how much more of this I want to put up with?
I have only been coming back to see what's going on in MMM's world.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cavedweller For This Useful Post: