Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 PM

Default EMP and defibrillator

Advertise Here

Hi, My father in law has a defibrillator installed. Will this stop working if there is an EMP? If it does will it hurt him or will it just stop working but cause no harm? I am trying to "brace" myself.
Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2019, 10:53 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,482 Times in 8,699 Posts

You should ask the manufacture? I have an older friend that has some kind of device due to his like 7 heart attacks. He had to get a different welder and not use the older microwave oven.

I'm thinking grid down is going to thin out the population that are dependent on meds and such.
The Following User Says Thank You to charliemeyer007 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
You should ask the manufacture? I have an older friend that has some kind of device due to his like 7 heart attacks. He had to get a different welder and not use the older microwave oven.

I'm thinking grid down is going to thin out the population that are dependent on meds and such.
I was really hoping to not have to call the company and ask what would happen during an EMP. He still has to deal with the company twice yearly to check the device.
I agree that a lot of people would perish in a grid down. It would be horrible. One second after was an eye opener.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2019, 06:42 AM
VIP Member

Implantables, defib's included, rely on SMT (Surface Mount Technology) and consequently are very susceptible to ESD (Electro Static Discharge) failures.

But (if memory serves), titanium is the metal of choice for implantables, and may well shield the device completely from an EMP. However that is only a guess only.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jackpine1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 06:57 AM
Bad Dog

Thanked 15,727 Times in 3,363 Posts

I suspect the manufacturer has not tested the device against an EMP. Any answer they give you may be speculative.

No one knows exactly which devices will fail in an EMP. The only scenario I don't believe is the one that says all electronic devices will fail nationwide. It will depend on the proximity to the blast, the natural shielding of the device, and the nature of the components.

This has never been experienced, so no one knows. There were a large number of scientists who believed that the first atomic test would produce a chain reaction that would destroy the planet. That apparently did not happen.

There have been hundreds of atomic and nuclear tests that did not wipe out the electronics that were fairly close to the blasts.
The Following User Says Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 07:30 AM

Thank you all for the honest answers. Maybe nothing will happen. I will hope for the best.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 AM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 23,482 Times in 8,699 Posts

You know what they say about wishes ... I'm thinking my buddy's older stick welder, a Lincoln AC-225 is the one he can't use anymore, ask them about using that. Their answer might give you a clue.

Yes, we will all be hoping for the best. I would think it would just quit working and not short out like the brain implant in the movie The Terminal Man?
Old 07-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Target Shooter

Best info I have gathered over the years says no, not an issue. Whatever device it is that is electronic has to have an antenna of sorts to gather the charge, and the implantable defibs do not. Likewise insulin pumps will remain unaffected as well.

40+ years of medical practice. I have learned a thing or two.

RR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reasonable Rascal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 06:00 AM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reasonable Rascal View Post
Best info I have gathered over the years says no, not an issue. Whatever device it is that is electronic has to have an antenna of sorts to gather the charge, and the implantable defibs do not. Likewise insulin pumps will remain unaffected as well.

40+ years of medical practice. I have learned a thing or two.

RR
Hmm. Might the electrodes be considered antennae? A concern with any tachy device is delivering therapy when it isn't needed. I'm not sure how the device would interpret an EMP.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5021727/
Old 07-12-2019, 07:19 AM
Target Shooter

The device would ignore an EMP because it is not sustained, and in fact would faster than the device can even detect. They depend on pattern recognition. EMP has no pattern, just a one-time pulse. Pacers and implanted defibs are also not affected by external defibrillation. Been there done that.

The leads would not be long enough to gather enough of a charge to cause any damage. Despite the common PAW novels that tout EMP as the be-all and end-all, it is not. Even the great majority of automobiles are likely to be fine with a mere 'reboot' as it were. As in, restart them.

RR
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reasonable Rascal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 08:23 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 30,182 Times in 9,940 Posts

Depends on altitude and yield. But honestly, if you're that close, you would probably have bigger issues. Yes, it can fry the defibrillator, but it wouldn't kill him unless he is dependent on it all the time (which is not what they are designed for). I would be more concerned with microwaves and large fans, than EMPs... LOL