Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Firearm support Bootguy Firearms General Discussion 27 07-15-2017 09:54 AM
Introduction to Firearm Safety in Colorado Black Jack Firearms General Discussion 0 06-30-2017 04:09 PM
Simple Pump Nightmare DrPepper Food and water 19 05-03-2017 05:51 PM
DIY Weekend Project: Painting a Firearm (Pic heavy) 40cal General Discussion 6 03-19-2017 03:54 PM
tsa and firearm part, not confidence inspiring... jstert Firearms General Discussion 33 11-04-2016 12:13 AM

Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,602 Times in 8,963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

I believe that in this version the cartridges are premade, with the fuse in place in the cartridge. There would be no need to replace any fuses when the weapon is in use.

When the cartridges are reloaded after being used would be when fuses are added. Just as when a primer is placed in a modern metallic cartridge.

Just my opinion.
Old 11-17-2018, 02:17 AM
Militant Normal

Thanked 18,870 Times in 6,422 Posts

It may be fun to speculate, but I'm remembering the men started working on this problem centuries ago.

If there were anything simpler than what's already in the history books, it would be in the history books.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 11:30 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,279 Times in 1,106 Posts

Assuming no modern chemicals or primers the most simple gun that would be relatively reliable would be a matchlock. I have a flintlock and usually it fires instantly, on occasion it will have maybe a split second hang fire that feels like an eternity when you are trying to hold your aim and figure out what happened and waiting for it to explode in your face. When there is a hang fire I can't come near to hitting the target.

Using a fuse to get ignition through the touch hole and into the powder would take much longer than a split second my gun takes when there is a problem.

With a matchlock, or any muzzelloader, if you want to make loading faster you can make paper cartridges with p remeasured powder and a ball. You can tear the paper open, dump in the powder then ram the ball down the barrel using the paper as a patch . Or load the entire paper cartridge and prick it through the touch hole to make a hole in the paper(this method leaves a much higher chance of embers in the barrel and since you are putting the powder and ball in together if that happens you will end up shooting your hand when trying to tamp it down with the ramrod if there are still embers in the barrel). Paper cartridges can also be soaked in various chemicals to make them burn quicker to make the chance of embers remaining less.
Old 01-01-2019, 09:20 AM
Awesome

Thanked 22,294 Times in 7,424 Posts

instead of the lighter?.. why not have a couple electrodes in the chamber that are powered by a piezo which gets struck by a hammer you could cock like a normal pistol?
Old 01-01-2019, 05:59 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randkl View Post
That's the prob. Long term. It takes a long time to become as good with a bow as a pure beginner can be with the simplest of firearms. While good arrows may become rarer than hen's teeth, the parts of a simple firearm never will. Right now in your own home, you have the makings of a couple of dozen useable firearms. Not so for a bow and arrow.

Welcome to the forum, sir!
Not if you're talking about the OP's "firearm"
The parts for making bows and arrows grow on trees.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,948 Times in 2,630 Posts

Yawn.......again. It would be what the Bible called a sling!
Old 01-12-2019, 07:26 PM
Lunes

Here’s a few updates on the project

Instead of a fuse I will use electric ignition, the reason why I preferred a fast fuse initially over E-match, is because the time it take to connect wires together., it can be pretty awkward. But I realized that I can use magnets to connect the wires, which will make the wires snap in place by themself. Like this
Here’s the main idea

I also tought that it could be possible, maybe, to use shorter cartridges with the same dimension as the bullet, that could be forced down through a strong magnet instead of a ramrod, like this

Here’s another version with the magnetic wire connection inside the chamber, it will work for barrel-length cartridges atleast.

In order to extract the case, either you have to pull the wires out if they are connected to the cartridge, or have another string connected to the cartridge.

Maybe a spring can be used to eject the cartridge automatically, as an ejector, like this

Or a string connected to the projectile/sabot, like this

With sabot (when the sabot pushes the cartridge out, the projectile just contuneing forward, they are’nt attached together.

How long does that strong and thin string, made of fishing line or similar, need to be? The pressure has to leave the chamber and bore before the string can push the cartridge out..

A combustible cartridge could also be used instead, maybe.

Any thoughts? I doubt if it still can be considered ”the most simple firearm” though.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:05 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,034 Times in 456 Posts

Are you this same guy on TheFiringLine forum?

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=600193

I don't fault you for thinking outside the box but you are coming up with dead end designs.

the most simple and usable firearm will most likely always be a matchlock BP gun. Anyone should be able to build one of those with a nitrated cord, homemade powder and a piece of pipe and wood for a stock.
The Following User Says Thank You to hatchet jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,808 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Any thoughts?
Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel?
None of these designs will work, and none are any better than current designs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2019, 09:26 PM
Hiker

pretty sure a couple sharp rocks and a sling shot would be as effective
Old 02-04-2019, 09:54 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,121 Times in 1,357 Posts
Default The most simple firearm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyt00 View Post
pretty sure a couple sharp rocks and a sling shot would be as effective

Considering your post in the “Mexico Texas border barricade”thread I’m not surprised you don’t know this but if you have a sling and/or slingshot a sharp rock is going to be the worst ammunition you could choose. Ideally you’d want something perfectly round like a ball bearing or marble, failing that a smooth rock is much better than a sharp rock if you actually hope to hit your target.
The Following User Says Thank You to Corpus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 09:50 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 62,602 Times in 8,963 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

I do not think anything small enough and flexible enough to go inside the assembly would be strong enough to withstand the heat, flame, and sudden acceleration of the bullet and pull a case from the barrel.

Even metal wire, unless fairly heavy gage would be doubtful. It would need to be insulated to keep from shorting out, and the insulation would burn away, creating many problems. Plus, I am not sure how it could be fastened to the cartridge case in a way that would be strong enough to withstand the forces of firing.

Instead of a 9v battery, you might consider using a piezo sparker. It would not need any batteries. A simple trigger release of a spring powered hammer unit to strike the crystal would work. Which is exactly what the starters for lamps and stoves are, already self-contained.

If two pins are mounted in the base of the inner tube of the barrel, that would puncture a paper cartridge, a charge could be used to fire the black powder. I am not 100% sure if the piezo striker would have enough energy to short through very much powder. It might require a battery.

Another option is to use a nichrome wire or strip igniter, such as those used with model rocket engines, or salvaged from old toasters. Attached to the base of the paper cartridge, and the internal contacts of the barrel being an almost full semi-circle, so there would always be contact between them and the nichrome wire or strip, the weapon could be fire electrically. If I remember back to my old rocket days, I think it required 12 volts, but that was often simply 8 D-cell batteries in a holder with safety interlock and firing button.

With modern batteries I think that could be done with AAA or AA batteries.

Definitely some possibilities.

Just my opinion.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:18 PM

Not bore ignition, but either a Greening type shotgun with brass shells, or a Handi rifle with a Lee loader and molds for the caliber would allow you to use black powder, cast lead bullets and for not much money, 10,000 primers that should last a life time. Low pressures, fired from the same weapon, and no case sizing would allow many reloads of a single cartridge and if you use 30-30, 308, or other common cartridge, should be able to stockpile a few hundred cases for pennies each. Often free at ranges, size once and use in your weapon from then on.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:03 PM

The problem is when you limit your self to being proficient with just one weapon you will fail sooner than later learning how to make weapons and how to Master all that you come across is a survival skills in it's self a easy cheap gun can be made by down scaling a potato gun to 1/2 inch pvc pipe is it the best gun no will it work in a jam yes would I want a single shot 22 with a 5gal bucket of 22 ammo yes will I have it most likely no can I make a bow yes can I make arrows yes can i make a atlatl and darts yes can i make a David sling yes A sling shot a spear a knife a Panna bolas rabbit stick if you have never been through a advanced SERE school this is what you learn weapons of opportunities the weapons you have may not be the best but it may be all that you have at the time until you can pick up something better.