Survivalist Forum banner

Fish Recipes

7K views 67 replies 26 participants last post by  NCalHippie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
We had a great discussion in the thread "What's for Dinner?" about cooking fish. In the last 9 years I have been a member I don't recall a fish recipe page, so I started this one. Indoors, outdoors, grilled, poached, pan fried, let's hear your best! I will start it off with one of the first ways I learned to cook fish, without frying it.

Caesar's Fish
Any firm flesh fish can be used for this recipe. We usually use halibut or roughy.
Preheat the oven to 400.
Brush skinned filets generously with Caesar salad dressing.
Season with garlic salt and black pepper.
Coat the them with crushed Caesar salad croutons. Pressing the crumbs into the flesh.
Place in an oiled dish.
Bake 8 min before turning and adding a topping of parmesan cheese. Continue to bake 5-8 min more until fish flakes easily.
After removing from oven top with a little basil and lemon juice.

#2 ·
For the most part I prefer my fish very simply done. Either a simple grill, bake or fry with butter and lemon and/or tartar or cocktail sauce on the side but year's ago I came across a Panko crusted fish that's delicious and makes it's own "tartar sauce" while cooking. This is from my own recipe file. I'd give credit to the original source but I have no idea where it came from and a quick internet search isn't giving me the same recipe.

Ingredients

2 cod fillets
cooking spray
1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped and divided
1/8 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
lemon wedges for serving
Steps
Preheat oven to 450°.
Toss Panko with 1/2 tablespoon dill.
In a separate bowl, combine remaining dill, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. **I actually did this a couple hours in advance. I wanted the flavors to be really well blended.
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray.
Pat fish dry with paper towels, lay in pan then season with salt and pepper.
Slather top and sides of fish with mayonnaise mixture
Sprinkle with Panko and pat in to fish making sure it sticks.
Bake on middle rack of oven until crumbs brown, about 15 minutes.

And one that I posted in the "What's For Dinner" thread...a real favorite here...Greek Salmon. Like I said there, fresh flavor explosion!

FOR TOPPING:
1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 2 lemons
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
Freshly ground black pepper
1 c. cubed feta
1 c. quartered tomatoes or halved cherry tomatoes
1/4 c. sliced kalamata olives
1/4 c. chopped Persian cucumbers
1/4 chopped red onion
2 tbsp. freshly chopped dill

FOR SALMON:
1 lemon, thinly sliced
1 small red onion, sliced
4 (12-oz.) salmon fillets, patted dry with paper towels
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper

Steps

Preheat oven to 375°.

Marinate feta: In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Season with pepper and add feta, tossing to coat. Cover and refrigerate for about 10 minutes while preparing other ingredients.

Roast fish: Scatter the sliced lemon and red onion at the bottom of a large baking dish.
Add salmon fillets, skin side down, to baking dish.
Season with salt and pepper and bake until opaque and flaky, 18 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, make topping:
Into the bowl with feta, add tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, chopped red onion, and dill.
Fold gently to combine.

To serve:
Plate salmon with lemon and red onion slices and top with feta mixture.

#8 ·
When I was stationed in Florida (we won't say how long ago), there was one restaurant in or close to Panama City that served fish tacos in a buttery sauce, and they were fantastic. I've never come across anyone else who prepares them like they did. Can anybody help with a recipe? I looked on line more than once, but none of them are right. (Fish, but not sure what kind, shredded cabbage, no salsa but a buttery sauce, unknown seasoning, not sure of the rest.)

#9 ·
The best fish I ever had was at a small Italian restaurant "Scirris" in Tonanawanda NY.
It was a whitefish of some sort baked in a seasoned broth. It was $3.50 for a big plate of the fish and some exquisite potatoes. They only had it on Fridays. They have probably died by now.

Then there was breaded fried lake perch sandwiches along lake Erie. Unbelievable.

Then there was Redfish Ponchartrain at the Momument Inn in San Jacinto, which burned a few years after I discovered it. Unbelievably good.

My only recipe is put the filet in a frying pan covered with butter and bake at 400 deg for about 18 minutes.

#10 ·
Here is a recipe I frequently make after visiting the Kemah docks. Kemah is a tiny town on Galveston Bay that is a home port for a number local shrimping and fishing boats. Basically buying seafood off the boats coming in.

It's typically red snapper but any good sized whitefish filet will work. Flounder is my typical 2nd choice. You need a fair sized length filet. Like 8 to 12 inches. I also buy a lb of whatever affordable fresh shrimp is to be found, celery, onion, garlic, and one of those larger cello bags of Pepperidge Farm cornbread stuffing.

After boiling the shrimp you reserve the water to wet the stuffing mix. Peel the shrimp and dice, along with celery, onion, and garlic. This is not a case where more garlic is better. Use either a mild sweet onion or just less of it. The diced shrimp, onion, celery, and garlic are added to the stuffing mix and it is whetted until is more sloppy than usual. This is a wet smear spread that you smear on a long filet and then roll up into pinwheels.

You skewer the stuffed rolls to hold them together and grill outside on the pit on high heat turning once. Drizzle/baste with an OJ/soy thickened sauce while cooking. Serve with a large side of grilled mixed veggies.

You inlanders can adapt as best you can, but skip the import salmon. Strong taste fish don't work well. Tiny fish are a pain too. Skip the talapia. Catfish might work if it is fresh kill that you caught.....maybe.....personally I wouldn't risk it. Walleye or pike might work, if the pike is well deboned filets from a cold water source. Bass might work well, but I haven't tried that. Perch is too small. Trout too strong. Carp not worthy of the effort. Don't half ass this effort. This is a very careful expensive effort worthy of premium ingredients. It's not terribly hard to make but the ingredients carry most of the load. This isn't a situation where skill will make up for cheap product.

#12 ·
Coupla great 'toppers' for Salmon fillets...

1) Blend a 'french-style dijon mustard' (Grey Poupon, etc) with horseradish + lemon juice, and 'baste' that over a buttered, salt/peppered fillet, sprinkle Dill to-cover, and a few Capers (sparingly..) Alternatively, top w/ crushed-up smoked Almonds.. :cool:

..Put in a 'foil burrito' - Fillet in center, bring sides to middle, fold-over / down (like ya used to do w/ a brown-bag lunch; leave a bit of room up top to 'steam'..) Roll ends over/in (to keep juices in..) and pop in a 400˚ oven for 10-12 mins, tops.. Comes out like Heaven.

Side-serving suggestions: Rice Pilaf and baby Asparagus.. Alt: someone in the 'Dinner thread' mentioned Honey/Buttered Carrots - Hells to the Yes, just sprinkle-on a bit of Dill.. :cool:

2) Few ounces of either Cholula (or Tabasco)-brand "Chipote" hot-sauce + Rasberry Preserves (must be Preserves, seeds and all, not 'jelly' - gets too runny, besides.. jelly.. blecch..

..Mix 50/50, to-taste (sweeter or hotter, etc) and copiously coat yer Salmon steaks before Grilling. Make Sure to partition-some off to the side for 'dippin' / post-grill slathering, SO good.. (PS - This mix also makes an Awesome baste for Grilled Chicken, ('specially with the skin-on) and Super ++ Amazing with Pulled-pork..)

More to come, later, but.. There's a coupla Family-favs, for now.. :cool:

Here is a recipe I frequently make ...a wet smear spread that you smear on a long filet and then roll up into pinwheels...
Oh Man, those sound fantastic.. :thumb: I'm thinking Pollack should work well (?) and also thinking some fresh-squeezes of Lime over them, while grilling couldn't hurt, ya? Plus, I'd deffo root for Red Onion as the choice..

..Can't wait to try 'em!

jd

#11 ·
Panfish, bass or even pike, run filets thru an egg previously beat, shake in bread crumbs and fry in butter for just a few minutes on each side. Fish crumbles when done. I love, love panfish like this. My brother used to fish a lot. He was really fast at cleaning fish as he had done thousands. I have not had any panfish since he died almost two years ago. I can catch them but stink at cleaning them.

#15 ·
It just depends. Catfish taste is heavily influenced by their diet.

I've basically disliked most catfish my whole life, especially farmed. But I've visited a farm or two where the fish is out of this world good.

It has to be slowly tinkering with the feed until you find a winning combo. You've got the power here to adjust the food until you find the right mix and amount that works.

Fish chow, though, is notorious for nasty additives. If the easy bag stuff doesn't work then look into other animal feed options.

Catfish will eat almost anything.

Reactions: MikeK
#17 ·
I find them difficult to use to really good effect except in soups because they are too water saturated. They rock in soup though.

Buy some high end import Ramen and add them just near the end with some chopped green onions. All you want is for the shrimp and onions to heat up.

Or make a proper fish stew and again add them right near the end.

But trying to saute them in a pan just makes a swampy kind of mess.

#28 ·
Nope catfish like live (or freshly killed baitfish , once they get much size to them) not to say they won't eat other things because they will. But like many critters they'll feed on what they prefer whenever they can .

#24 ·
The only thing I have seen really work for carp is to cut the throat, then put them on a stringer and drop them in the water for a few hours. It will bleed them them out and turn the meat white.

To me it's still not worth it since I can catch a dozen sheepshead (freshwater drum) to each carp and I don't have to do anything special to them since they are already a nice white meat that is mild to bland. Takes seasonings very well though. I only keep the 3-5 pounders. Smaller isn't worth it and larger isn't as firm.

#31 ·
My fish tacos:

You'll need any filet that's thin enough to cook through without being flipped.

Scale and filet the fish, but DON'T skin the filets. The skin has beneficial fats, tastes good, and most importantly holds the filets together. Brush both sides with a mix of soy sauce and citrus juice of your choice, and lightly season with whatever strikes your fancy. Get the grill to 400 or hotter and lay the filets skin side down, and brush with the sauce/juice mix every few minutes until it's done.

Put the whole cooked filets, some pickled red onion, yellow rice, salsa, and a little cheese on a tortilla and enjoy.

#32 ·
^ Don't ferget the fresh Cilantro! :) And Definitely +1 on the 'skin is Good fats'.. :thumb:

OK, so here's one more Family-Fav, then I'll shutup.. ;) We call this 'Vomito de Chucho' (colloquial-Spanish for 'Dog Barf'.. :D: which is the name my Wife gave it, first time I made it / served it to her (LMAO!!) And, visually, she's not wrong, but.. Whence eaten, man, it's Quite the yummy-opposite..

- Thinnish (~3/8-1/2" thick) Tilapia fillets (skin-on, or off, yer choice, but skin On, is yummier..) Quantity, as-per serving-size of yer particular House Sharks..

- 1x 14-16 oz can Black Beans, 1x same-size (or, volume if you grow yer own..) White / Sweet Corn, 1x 12 oz package of Shredded 'Mexi-Blend cheese' (or, sure, DIY..) and 2-3 Ripe Avocados... (sorry, Jojo.. ;) Also get together: Salt/Pepper, Butter / Olive-oil 'spread', your favorite 'Mexi-style spice' (ie: we Love McCormick's 'Mexican Seasoning', or just DIY..) small bouquet of fresh Cilantro, and 1x fresh Lime..

Prep some 'foil burritos' (See Post#12, Recipe #1 for 'instructions'..) for each fillet, Pre-heat oven to 400˚ (Ps, this can even be done in a Toaster-oven or on the Grill.. Yet 'another great reason' we Always do these 'foil burritos' when Baking fish.. Incredible-flavor, never dry, easy 'cleanup', etc..)

..Lay-out each fillet in center of its' foil-shuttle, and Butter, salt/coarse-pepper, and seasoning-sprinkle each, to-taste. Add an ample-covering of the black beans, corn and cheese. Sprinkle with a bit of cilantro, and drizzle Lime, to-taste. Fold-up / put in oven, as-per the Instructions in Post#12.

Now, normally, most fillets (under 3/4" thick) will nicely steam-cook thru in foil in ~10-12 mins, but Because this is a rather 'wet' dish (and there's nowhere for the juices to 'escape' in these foil-burritos..) you'll need to adjust the cooking-time a Bit.. Maybe ~14-15 mins if ~1/2" thick fillets, ~12-14 mins if under 1/2".. But, rarely will you Ever go more than 16 mins - this is a Really Quick way to cook fish, also..

When "done" (yes, you can sack-out the 'burritos' / unfold a bit, and carefully peak / fork each fillet / put-back if not cooked-thru yet - just be super-careful the juices don't escape the ends - been there / done that.. ;) Carefully extricate from the foil, and transfer to serving-plate, then Top with thin-slices of Avocado / serve with fav side - Rice, whatever..

Now, if you're Really Good at moving delicate / sloppy foods, it'll 'present well', but.. If these fall apart during the 'transfer' (as these usually do, they're So moist / flakey..) well... You'll quickly understand How this dish 'earned its name'.. :)

..Though, have to say (for those that have Kids..) when they enthusiastically ask 'What's for Dinner??!!' and your answer is "Dog Barf!".. the 'shock and awe-value' is... Priceless. :D:

Enjoy.. :cool:
jd

PS - Yes, this recipe works Great as a basis for "fish tacos", whether soft or hard-shell.. Just prep / add for serving: diced red onion / tomatoes / more fresh cilantro, and lime to squeeze.. Yummz..

#34 ·
One of my Alaskan favorites, and can be prepped ahead of time.

Great for lower fat fish that can tend to be dry after freezing, think halibut. Not exact recipe but you’ll get the idea.

Place fillet in baking dish
Add splash of wine and some butter
Salt / pepper
Liberally cover with “seasoned mayonnaise”
Sprinkle with bread crumbs
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese

“Seasoned mayonnaise”:
Mayonnaise
Fresh dill
Thyme
Garlic
Hot sauce
Salt / Pepper
Old Bay seasoning (or similar)

Bake, then broil last couple minutes to brown cheese (careful will burn quickly)

Beginners tip: DO NOT overcook the fish. Remove form heat prior to being fully cooked. It will continue to cook from retained heat. (Just like a beef roast or steak). Take off heat when still slightly opaque in center.

#40 ·
Beginners tip: DO NOT overcook the fish.
This can't be repeated enough. Fish isn't like a big pork roast that gets better if you cook it to death.

No fish gets better being overcooked.

or as a sushi chef would suggest, cut a thin slice of raw fish and eat it.
So if people wonder why sushi seems safe to eat, but you see all those warnings about raw seafood, there are some hidden facts.

First, all the fish used in sushi are salt water ocean fish. These fish are inherently less victim to parasites. Next is almost all is wild caught. The few sushi species that are farmed are farmed the way we do salmon on the West Coast, as opposed to Atlantic salmon farming. Pacific farming is more like farmed birth, wild release to grow, and then a close facsimile to wild catching. Whereas Atlantic salmon farming uses actual farm pens. So sushi fish farming is a whole lot more like wild caught, other than raising fingerling spawn to release into the ocean. Also, all sushi fish farming is done by the Japanese, who are fanatical about quality and purity.

Also, a lot of the sushi fish are cold water varieties, which is also less likely to be infested with parasites.

Next, proper sushi fish have been usually been flash frozen first. This too greatly reduces parasite risk. It has the added bonus of tenderizing the fish a bit. Sorry, your freezer at home isn't up to the task. (cue the one crazy fool who sasses me by saying they have a nitrogen pumped ice cream freezer in their garage)

And finally after all those precautions the fish gets inspected by experts at several spots along its journey from ocean to plate.

So don't be thinking you can started hacking raw slabs off that perch you just hung on your stringer at the lake. ;)

Btw, most sushi consumed is either partially or fully cooked. Novices can have a great time enjoying sushi if they visit a better quality sushi house and make the chef understand they only want cooked and veggie offerings. Most novices that get turned off typically get dragged to a sushi place by another novice who has hit the fanatic phase and pushes their reluctant partner into food they are not comfortable with trying so soon. Either go alone or with a long term aficionado who won't rush you and takes you to a better quality establishment. You'll love everything except the bill. A serious sushi habit is like a drug habit when it comes to cost.

Jojo, the name you are looking for is called churashi, or "scattered sushi".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sushi#Chirashizushi

Though the Hawaiians made a derivative that is now a national craze called poke.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poke_(Hawaiian_dish)

#37 ·
Yep, sometimes LESS is more.

You won’t put ketchup on a fine Japanese Wagyu NY Strip Steak.

So don’t put heavy sauces, roux, or mayonnaise on a great piece of fish. Think of fresh Alaskan Copper River King Salmon, or even just fresh wild caught red salmon. It would be a shame to bury it with sauces.

Skin on
Salt fillet
Light sprinkle of tamari
Light sprinkle of olive oil
Course pepper

Bake.

Remove from heat while still slightly opaque in center. Do NOT overcook.

#44 ·
I do know people that would take that good steak and cover it in ketchup or A1 or BBQ sauce, even one that to the horror of my tastebuds will actually mix some dill pickle juice with some micacle whip and brush it on just before it comes off the grill.

I always figured how they eat their steak is their business not mine as long as they don't try to feed me one made the same way. Same with salmon. I don't care where it's caught or how fresh it is (I've had it grilled as caught out of the cold clear waters of lake Superior.) There is no way to make it better than edible.

#38 ·
Since Sushi was mentioned I will throw this one out there.
Technically called roll in a bowl, we call it it hillbilly sushi.
No raw fish or skill needed for this one.

2 cups dry California Calrose Sushi Rice
5 Tbsp rice vinegar , divided
2 Tbsp granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 1/2 Tbsp sriracha
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
10 oz imitation crab or lump crabmeat , torn or chopped into small bite size pieces
1 1/2 cups diced English cucumber
3/4 cup roughly chopped matchstick carrots
1 nori (seaweed) sheet crumbled into small pieces (optional - this is the only recipe I would use it in, so I don't keep it)
1 1/2 Tbsp chopped pickled sushi ginger
1 large avocado , peeled and diced
Toasted sesame seeds , for garnish

Place rice in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under cold water until water runs clear (it will take about 2 minutes of rinsing). Tap bottom of strainer with palm of your hand until water no longer falls from strainer (it should be well drained). Transfer rice to a medium saucepan along with 2 1/4 cups water. Bring mixture to a full boil then reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer 15 minutes. Remove from heat, keep covered and let rest 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan combine 4 Tbsp of the vinegar with the sugar and salt. Heat over medium heat, cook and whisk until sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat, let cool while rice is resting then pour vinegar mixture over rice and toss to evenly coat.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together mayonnaise with sriracha. Thin with 1 1/2 tsp of water if desired. Transfer to a sandwich size resealable bag. Set aside.
In a small mixing bowl whisk together soy sauce and remaining 1 Tbsp vinegar, set aside. In a large mixing bowl gently toss together crab meat, cucumber, carrots, nori, ginger and avocado. Divide prepared rice among 4 or 5 bowls. Top with crab mixture then spoon soy sauce mixture over top of each serving. Cut a small tip from one corner of the resealable bag holding the sriracha mixture, drizzle over each serving. Serve immediately.

#41 ·
Parasites in fish here in pnw and alaska are common, a lot in bottom fish like halibut but also salmon. Bigger older fish tend to have more parasites, smaller younger halibut are better eating, too.
In Hawaii people eat a lot more fish and a lot is raw. Still they have much fewer problems.
Freezing does kill parasites but home freezers are not cold or fast enough. Government has rules on freezing for guaranteed parasite destruction. But there are really no set standards for sushi grade, more a marketing term. I have heard that some tuna are exempt from freezing rule because they are open water fast swimmers but don't know if that is correct. Plenty of tuna are frozen, at Tskigi fish market in Tokyo i saw frozen tuna wheeled around on carts like torpedos and cut up later with knives as long as swords. Tuna prices can be insanely high there.
Mixed or scattered sushi, you can buy kits at asian stores that include the ingredients you need except the flavored rice. Can be expensive but Japanese stuff tends to be so. Korean ingredients can be significantly cheaper but japanese sushi and Korean sushi look alike but Japanese use vinegared rice while Korean s use sesame oil and salt to flavor rice.

#42 ·
I read the same thing on a govt site years back but I don't remember the particulars. I remember that all fish destined to be served raw had to be frozen to like 30 below for 7-10 days or something. Or 40-50 below for less time. I wish I remembered the details. I do remember tuna not needed to be frozen because it's not prone to parasites.

I always cringe when I hear of fishermen eating mahi or wahoo raw. Though I have yet to ever hear of any of them getting sick because of it.

#43 ·
One of my favorites is Fish Leek soup. Made it last nigh in fact.

No set amounts but its basically equal amounts leeks and any firm white fish, whatever you can afford, I usually use about 2lbs of each.

Cut the fish into large chunks, 3-4" inches at least. It breaks up when cooking and you will just get mush if you cut it too finely. If its something like tilapia I just throw the fillets in whole.

With the leeks you want the green leaves and the white stalk parts both. Leeks usually have sand trapped inside the leaves so I chop them all up first and then stir, rinse, and drain them in a clean sink full of water.

Dump the leeks in a pot, and add enough water to cover them and turn the heat on high.

Throw in a whole stick of butter and a generous amount of black pepper and salt.

Just before the water starts to boil and the leeks are almost done, dump in your fish. Its only going to take maybe 10 minutes more heat before everything is done.

This is not a simmer all day soup, this is something you throw together in half an hour. Don't overcook it. Both the leeks and the fish are best the less they are cooked. You still want the fish in chunks and the leeks to 'squeak' when you bite them.

Don't use too much water...the goal is not a few chunks of leeks and fish floating in water...the goal is a stew that is mostly solids and 'fresh' tasting rather than a simmered down chowder sort of a thing.

The leeks turn sweet and tender when done, and the stick of butter and salt makes a rich briny broth that still doesn't feel heavy.

If you have it, you can use fish sauce instead of salt when making your stock.

Don't try and add a bunch of other ingredients, this soup works so well because it just has a couple simple distinct flavors.

#49 ·
I'm still seeing people trying to extol the genius of a fried fish.

It may taste really great, especially with the right fish, but it isn't genius.

Nothing is learned by others in this thread by writing to frying a fish.

Try a Walleye out of a northern border state simply pan frying it. Out of this world. But you learned no new skills from that revelation.

Genius of simplicity? Courtbouillon, the kind I told you to ignore when I was talking about Louisiana fare.

The rest of the cooking world uses a faint gentle stock to gently poach a piece of fish. Conceptually the easiest way to cook fish ever. The problem is making the right poaching liquid, selecting the right piece of fish, and knowing exactly how long to poach it. Many a Michelin chef labor for weeks just to get find the perfect combo of broth, fish, and cooking time. Done right, it is the greatest that kind of fish will ever taste. Anyone can do it, but rarely do it well.

The best advice on how to master this is first pick the best fish you can get locally consistently. A fish your local area is famous for. It's hard enough learning to perfect one type, so skip the Kroger fish case and other stuff trucked in that varies in consistency. You will also likely have to settle on one season per year when that one local fish is at it's best. Next comes the long drudge of trying different poaching liquids. Try anything light you can think of. Loads of poaching liquid ideas online. Stick with the same fish in the same best season and try all the poaching stock ideas that you can find. Dial it down to a "couple best" choices after trying them out with the fish and then start using a stopwatch to try different poaching times. The shorter time the better. It has to be at that magic moment when it is exactly cooked and not one second more. In time you will have it down to an exact science for that one fish in your home. Then you can throw a ritzy dinner party. Expect to need a bunch of this fish as you perfect the one dish. But the perfect piece of poached fish has landed many chefs their first international accolade.

It helps to watch the cooking shows that feature poaching a fish to get the feel for the process. Just don't get married to their way because you'll be using your local fish.

And then comes the accompaniments on the plate that don't overpower something so delicate, but you don't want them to be dull either.

Ugh, something that seems so easy, yet so hard to get perfect.

#53 ·
Genius of simplicity? Courtbouillon, the kind I told you to ignore when I was talking about Louisiana fare.

The rest of the cooking world uses a faint gentle stock to gently poach a piece of fish. Conceptually the easiest way to cook fish ever. The problem is making the right poaching liquid, selecting the right piece of fish, and knowing exactly how long to poach it. Many a Michelin chef labor for weeks just to get find the perfect combo of broth, fish, and cooking time. Done right, it is the greatest that kind of fish will ever taste. Anyone can do it, but rarely do it well. .
Very true, I will explore this further as the menu allows. On a similar note, Steaming in bamboo baskets follows the same principle. We have done a fair amount of that. Aromatic steam can be like a cross between smoke and broth... Although very subtle. Mahi Mahi steamed in banana leaves etc.
The goal being perfectly cooked fish with subtle herb and spice notes that bring out and enhance the fish itself without taking anything away. Only suitable for the freshest and premium of seafood's.

You are also right that sides must work with the main. It is easy to confuse a plate.

Wife's Birthday dinner last year.

First course, Mushroom risotto with butter poached langostino.
The umami from the mushrooms whet the appetite and the buttery bites of langostino sets one up for wanting more.

And the main was simple Crispy skinned Salmon over a bed of wilted fresh baby greens with a heated a citrus vinaigrette and some simply seasoned french bread.
Salmon stands on it's own and I have yet to have something amazing when over played.

White wine before and during and sweet wine for a finish. No dessert.

**Let me know if the pictures didn't show.

#60 ·
My apologies for walking past the (maybe unintended) genius of this post.

There's a lot of great tasting fish out there ignored by sportsmen because we were raised to appreciate certain species on the hook.

Please look wider at the species in your region that can be exploited for good taste, not just the age old sportsman favorites.

The fact is that the 1st World demand and the 3rd World eagerness to supply for a payday is running our oceans dry. Factory ships and wasted by-catch are scraping the bottom of the ocean barrel.......literally.

I'm no tree hugger, but we really are making a mess of our oceans right now.

The solution does start and end at the choices at the dinner table. Capitalism is about supply and demand. Forget the "save the whales" noise. Eat a crappie or bream out of the bay instead. It will taste great and might save a trophy fish for the next generation.

This next post is a perfect illustration.
Redfish On The Halfshell.
Looks like a tasty recipe that substituting Drum instead will not change the taste one bit, but will give an endangered species a bit of breathing room. About 20 years ago all the great Louisiana chefs made a plea to switch to drum over redfish. The plea has taken root and redfish are recovering nicely. With some care and a long term plan the species may be around for the long haul. Drum have been taking it in the teeth but they had the numbers. Soon we can switch to controlled catches for both fish and enjoy them indefinitely.

Let's be responsible sportsmen, even if that only means dinner table choices.

Don't forget to buy your annual fishing license every year in your state, even if you might not get out this year or only fish for species that don't need a license. While not perfect over all 50 states, by and large the various state fish and game agencies are doing a pretty darn good job.

Supporting well defined user taxes is very Libertarian of you.

Reactions: Jojo
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.