Things that make you say "Hmmm" - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 01-24-2020, 12:28 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,022 Posts
Default Things that make you say "Hmmm"

Advertise Here

I was trying to call a client today on my cell phone, they could hear me but, I couldn't hear them. I'm in a populated city just across the river from a Democratic city we'll call Portland.. Cell towers everywhere, no connection there..

But, during the action over in the litter boxes, 4 GI's can be riding in a HumVee, next thing you know Abdul Moamar Muslimistan dials a number on his flip phone, buried shell goes BOOM, GI's spend most of the rest of their lives in a VA hospital or going to appointments for PTSD, missing parts, etc..

I say we quit shootin at those diaper heads and hire them to be our tech suport for companies like T-Mobile, etc..
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 12:33 AM
Grumpy Old Bastard

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,022 Posts

In the real world versus TV Land: Why is it that my doctor in Longview, WA sends me to Vancouver hospital X for my CPAP annual checkup, then over to Portland for my Liver ultrasound, then to another hospital back in North Vancouver for a skin doctor?? And most of those are referrals that Tricare has to "approve"

You NEVER see that on TV.. Need your chest opened up, send them upstairs, need a kidney, 3rd floor, Hemmorhoids, 5th floor.. Main doctor (Who really IS a doctor and not a Nurse Practitioner posing as a doctor) 7th floor...
The Following User Says Thank You to kl0an For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 04:22 AM
operatorchan.org

Thanked 2,311 Times in 1,092 Posts

The Following User Says Thank You to strokes762 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2020, 05:32 AM
Dog Lives Matter

Thanked 22,626 Times in 4,834 Posts

The problem behind each of your questons is . . . gubbermint.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HomeDefense For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 09:32 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,931 Times in 1,991 Posts

How FEMA Could Lose American's Next Great War

Recently, we discussed the need for a more traditional civil defense program for the US.

The article below discusses how we got away from it 25 years ago and makes some suggestions for what the program should entail. However, the author does not discuss the impediments for such a program or a way to deal with them.

Today, the federal government spends more effort on preparing for the impact of a future asteroid than on preparing for the domestic civilian responsibilities in a future war with one or more peer adversaries.

https://www.hsaj.org/resources/uploa...War_042919.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2020, 10:01 AM
Hunter

FEMA for serching and recovery work they excel at..

FEMA as a disposed persons camp not so much..

given the sanitation issues in the camp are going to be bad I would hope the smart ones own a caravan or 5th wheel
Old 01-27-2020, 10:41 AM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,049 Times in 328 Posts

I had an issue with high blood pressure a year and a half ago. I ended up in the emergency room on a Friday night. Got in to see the PA on Monday and he ordered a bunch of tests which I passed with flying colors. He had me taking Lisinopril, which left me falling asleep all the time, and told me to come back and see him in six months. I moved and found an actual MD who said "Let's have a look at the kidneys." Problem solved.

Medicine is more about business, anymore, than about medicine. The book do have to balance, but when the CPAs are making the critical decisions in medicine, manufacturing, etc., a loss of focus has occurred.
The Following User Says Thank You to PromptCritical For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 10:39 AM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 5,931 Times in 1,991 Posts

Some comments on the article linked in post #5 above:

Every threat the author raised has been used in real world operations. Russia in Georgia and Crimea; Israel against Syria.

Very real. Devastating at critical times.

Anti-access area denial has a huge defensive component. Our military ignores it because “we win on the offense”.
You can only tell the flags what they don't want to hear but so many times, then they don’t invite you into the room anymore.

Critical infrastructure protection gets a ton of lip service. I’m pretty comfortable that our nuke facilities do it well. Commercial power, telecomm, etc do it less well. Setting the right incentives for spares, maintenance, and emergency surgery capacity might do a lot more good for infrastructure protection that any lead federal agency plan.

Nuclear war is A threat, but not THE threat. It’s the black swan.

Cyber and precision strike against APOD/SPOD and C4ISR control nodes are the military threat.

SPODS have potentially devastating consequences for citizens. Bomb a LNG tanker at the port of Bayonne and things might get sporting in NYC and beyond as the consequences build over a week or two. Good Civil Defense builds resilience to buffer against major disruptions. Commercial drones are becoming cheaper every day for those who point to our great port security.

Americans are spoiled and entitled. They expect someone else to save them. Congress will balk at spending cash for CD training and risk mitigation. Everyone expects the CDC to save them from Ebola... or whatever virus results for poor lifestyle choices.

In light of all this, I think the tax structure is the right place to start CD efforts in Congress. Little things like immediate expensing for emergency repair supplies rather than depreciation. That helps utilities and businesses invest in the right things. Similar credits for family CD stocks and equipment could be arranged like the recent tax credits for so-called green energy investment.

The Generals DO know the risk to critical infrastructure. Besides Paul Nakasone, few mention them in polite company because of the risk to preferred programs. DC politics.

Share the above linked article with your elected representatives.

It’s a start if people in power read it with an open mind.

I've sent it on to my Senators and a former classmate who’s on the Carlisle Army War College faculty.

It’s worthwhile to make explicit one of my assumptions: that many bureaucrats don’t have the right knowledge or incentives to implement a large scale program. That includes military officers operating outside their expertise centers.

I don’t mean to imply that all government employees are incompetent or lazy. They aren’t. Most are quite conscientious about their duties. However, many tasks are unfamiliar or beyond their skill set. They do the best they can, which sometimes is "good enough for government work" but sometimes is harmful. The Army acquisition process is filled with examples of both. As are recent our wars.

My starting point for discussion is always to look at incentives and trust private sector initiatives. The private sector isn’t perfect and will often get things wrong. Private companies simply respond and correct faster because they have to (unless part of a monopsony arrangement buffered from immediate consequence.)

So, there IS a role for government leadership and coordination of effort. The bulk of the heavy lifting should be done by private sector experts with appropriate incentives to reward desired choices. A nudge, if you will (though I dislike the Cass Sunstein abuse of that idea).

I appologise if my comments sometimes seem incomplete due to unstated assumptions, based on a former audience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 01:57 PM
Bear Fighter

Location: North of the 45th Parallel, West of the 115th Meridian
Thanked 2,289 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post
I say we quit shootin at those diaper heads and hire them to be our tech suport for companies like T-Mobile, etc..
Obviously you've never called tech support. In my experience, 90% of tech support personnel I've dealt with is from a mysterious land
The Following User Says Thank You to Area Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2020, 04:16 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Area Man View Post
Obviously you've never called tech support. In my experience, 90% of tech support personnel I've dealt with is from a mysterious land
Ha~!
I called in regarding a mail-order prescription that failed to deliver.
The first person was so useless that I asked for her boss.
Ultimately the boss told me that I had to write the prescription information
on the back of my check.
I said "BS". Checks have an area for signatures and indicate that nothing
should be written below that area.
My conclusion was that this boss was not in the US and probably had
never been here.

So mysterious land.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mule Skinner For This Useful Post: