Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Hunter

Default Planning an addition to our home?

Advertise Here

The wife keeps bringing up the the topic of adding more space to our home (usually statements like, "we could just do this, or just do that") so I'm trying to get us (mostly her) set up to start researching this idea.

If one were looking to add an addition to their home, where do you start...who do you speak with first?

I took a stab at where I think we start, and the progression after that, but please let me if I'm off:
  1. Architect - takes ideas and develops design
  2. Structural engineer - is the project even possible (usually works with architect)
  3. Local code enforcement agency - inspections/code compliance, offers guidance for permitting
  4. Township - zoning, building permits
  5. County road commission - permit for added driveway; I would like a 2nd driveway and would help minimize the yard being torn up
  6. General contractor - organizes the demo, excavation, rough construction, electrical, plumbing, septic, HVAC, etc.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-09-2019, 04:08 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,289 Times in 897 Posts

I'd start with the architect if you have ideas but no blueprints.
He can tell you if it's "possible".
Once you have prints, talk to contractors for bids, and let them get the permits.
They already know the process.

Don't worry about the driveway too much until the other construction is finished, unless you need it for access to the addition.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:56 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,817 Times in 4,139 Posts

If it where ME, I would start by talking to my wife about what we need the addition for, what it has to do, and then spend a couple weeks thinking about it and sketching out floorplans on my laptop.

Then I would borrow the neighbors bobcat, do the earth work and start hauling sacks of concrete for the foundation home every change I got until I had enough a big enough pile of sacks. At night after dinner I would go out with a pick and shovel and the laser level and work on finalized the earthworks.

One day before it got too cold I would drop off the kid with the grandparents and me and my wife would put on some music and start mixing concrete, three sacks at a time in my cement mixer, mostly she would tend the mixer while I ran the wheel barrow and the trowel.

While it cured I would start hauling boards, or blocks or whatever I was using to build the addition this time.

Maybe after a week or two I'd started building up the walls, unless it was almost winter in which case maybe I'd have to wait until next summer.

Anyway...you get the idea. Thats how I've built all the additions to my home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2019, 07:00 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
start hauling sacks of concrete for the foundation home
If going to that much trouble I hope you are using Maximizer in the blue bags...
Old 09-09-2019, 09:27 PM
Prepared

Well the first thing you need to do is figure out what type of living space you need .
Bed room ,bath , master bedroom sweet , in my area we have a lot of bi levels and we do a kitchen remodel plus family room addition off the kitchen dining area approximately 20 feet wide by 16 or 18 feet deep deep .
If your are not looking to build a supper hi end addition and you could wrap your mind around plans and pictures , you should seek out a midsize design build contractor .
This guy could draw a set of working plans , add his input , get your permits and build your addition for a fair price .
The hardest thing is securing financing , you will need a scope for the project so you no how much money you need to borrow .
Talk to 3 contractors listen to there ideas work with the guy you like , contractors are very competitive these days , at least in my area .
It is a safe bet to not go with low bidder .
Try to work with the owner of the company not a sales men .
Insist on a written detailed Proposal And payment schedule Deposit 5000 start of work 10000 finished foundation and inspection 10000 finished framing 10000 finished elect plumbing and A/C 10000 finished roofing 5000 finished drywall 5000 finished trim and tile 5000 substantial completion 5000 . Expect 10% extra in work order changes .
This is a payment schedule for a small 2 story addition in my area .
This has to be fun so enjoy the process .
Good luck with your project
Old 09-09-2019, 10:00 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,092 Times in 567 Posts

1.) Pay off your existing house.
2.) Save the cash to pay for the addition
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to neiowa For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 01:39 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,817 Times in 4,139 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucksforever View Post
If you going to that much trouble I hope you are using Maximizer in the blue bags...
Never heard of it....and yes....I did all of the concrete for my house and outbuildings additions, etc. Several hundred bags worth over the years.
Old 09-10-2019, 03:24 AM

Start out by drawing up some rough plans and staking out the area to make sure about what kind of addition you want. There are lots of good home design software choices, some for free. You can draw your current house and then look at what the addition would look like from the inside and outside from different angles. Have some fun with it. Take your time and be sure of what you want. For a simple addition like an extra room or two, a good contractor can make suggestions and estimates based on your drawings. Consider talking to friends and family members for a good contractor referral or three. If you're interested, talk to the contractors about sweat equity.
The Following User Says Thank You to gavrilo princip For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 03:33 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,371 Times in 1,672 Posts

1)set a budget

2)set up financing

3)talk with architect

4)talk with contractor

5)double your budget

6)re-figure financing

and I'm dead serious,not being funny
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cook For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 12:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,984 Times in 961 Posts

buy some graphing paper.

Have her draw an outline of what she thinks she wants. It should show roughly where it would fit into the house. If it doesn't, draw an outline of the house and ask her to put the addition where she wants it. This way you will have a better idea of what she is looking for instead of 'just more room'.

Is the addition near the kitchen -- she wants more kitchen prep area, more dining area or a family room facing off the kitchen [and ten to one a eating counter].

If she wants another bedroom or two -- does she want more kids?

A new room towards the front of the house -- a formal living room?

A few rooms behind a garage [or non-existant garage]. She wants storage space, crafting space, a good laundry room, sewing room, space to toss that teenager with the loud music.

Hey, you have all winter to figure out what she wants and why and how to make adjustments.

Now 'blow up' the graph size of whatever it is she wants. one sq. per foot. Find a room in the house that is approx. that size and see how she would put things.

Toddle out in the snow and put in stakes [or paint the snow] to show her where this room would be.

Then talk around and find out how much per sq. feet things approx. cost to 'add on'. [do not give her a low figure].

Whatever are you finances, calc. who needs to get another job or how to cut costs, set up a separate bank account and toss money into it.

Only by then, start doing stuff on the computer drawing it up. [with her doing the work or at your shoulder].
The Following User Says Thank You to Florida Jean For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 01:26 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 22,733 Times in 8,485 Posts

I'd let her do the all planning and just check her work before you actually spend money. Fishing and hunting seem a better use of your time.
Old 09-10-2019, 07:45 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neiowa View Post
1.) Pay off your existing house.
2.) Save the cash to pay for the addition
This is what I would rather do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemeyer007 View Post
I'd let her do the all planning and just check her work before you actually spend money. Fishing and hunting seem a better use of your time.
Agree 100%!

I don't dislike the idea of adding a space off the back of the house. We have a pond and nice yard, where our existing floorplan has us looking at the road out the front in our living room. I was on-board with a covered deck or 3-season room, but her grand plans scare the hell out me. I know that she has little understanding of what this will truly cost and anytime I open my mouth, I'm just being negative and not supportive, so I'm going to let her do the leg work. "Just" is a word that is being used frequently. I don't work in the trades, but I'm pretty sure you can't "just" put a new structure over your septic, gas, and electrical connections without spending a ton of money to move them, and you can't "just" blow out a wall that I know is load bearing.

The idea has already gone from putting a screen room on our deck (I already did that), to making it a covered deck, to making it a 3-season room, to making it a full on addition...complete with moving utilities, remodeling the kitchen and a bathroom, and a mudroom/laundry. So I'm not even sure what the target is anymore! I'm guessing no less than six figures for what she wants, so I'm going to step back and let professionals quote her numbers we can't afford, and let the natural order of accounting and the lack of zeros in our bank account determine the fate of this idea.

Thanks for all the feedback! I'll relay where she will need to get started.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zuren For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 10:12 PM
Golfer

Thanked 2,238 Times in 1,283 Posts

If your house is old consider tearing it down and building the perfect one.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:09 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 3,645 Times in 936 Posts

WHAT are you actually contemplating?
adding a second floor
putting in a basement?
converting a closet to a half bath?

My father had a construction company for years. I wired and plumbed and rough carpentered probably close to 100 cabins and houses.

a lot of things you can do on your own without needing an architect. That is why I ask what do you want to do?

Example, add a garage. There are engineered packages where everything is already figured out and all you have to do is put it up.

Just curious what you are trying to accomplish so can have better idea as to proper response.
Old 09-11-2019, 08:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,424 Times in 992 Posts

Aerindel, much experience with mixing concrete here. We went to the local gravel pit, got a trailer of their mix for concrete and then the bags of Portland. I mixed it four to one, if I remember correctly. Much cheaper than bags and a good product. Anything over 2 yards came off a concrete truck.

Sorry for the thread drift. Wifey needs to set some firm goals. Having been in the trades, it can be very frustrating wasting time putting figures together for someone who isn't clear on goals. Maybe a quick sit down with a local contractor will help focus and illustrate the cost of even small projects.