When will boaters learn to get a rescue beacon before heading out in the ocean? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 08-19-2019, 02:05 AM
Perspective provider.

Thanked 5,580 Times in 2,534 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Another tragedy in progress with 2 young firefighters fishing off Florida.

https://www.news4jax.com/top-stories...ayer-walks-set

heartbreaking and pretty much avoidable with a beacon.

Now a small army will be searching for days with little idea where to look.

The beacon relays your GPS coordinates to the rescue folks.
No guesswork. The rescue craft will zip out and save your sorry butt if you get in a jam.

For probably less than the price of the gasoline in the boat's fuel tanks, they would be at home safe and eating dinner.

They should have also had a good VHF radio, and more than a single engine. From the pic, it looks like it might have had only a single motor.
The answer is simple: never. That would mean that people would have to admit that not everything is in their control, and bad things can happen regardless. Many can't admit that to themselves.

Look at hikers. Howmany who hike remote regions have PLB's?
Quick reply to this message
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to IC_Rafe For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 02:19 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,321 Times in 18,964 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC_Rafe View Post
The answer is simple: never. That would mean that people would have to admit that not everything is in their control, and bad things can happen regardless. Many can't admit that to themselves.

Look at hikers. Howmany who hike remote regions have PLB's?
Yeah, the western half of Europe is basically tamed to be nothing short of government parkland.

And yet they still keep loosing hikers and climbers.

Head into eastern Europe or just about every other continent entirely and you can get lost in a heartbeat.

Without intimate local experience of an area it is easy to get way out of your depth.

Water? People die all the time within sight of the shore.

There is a reason local guides ask for money. They keep you from dying too soon.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 05:27 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,283 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
These guys are young and tough though.
As long as the boat didn't sink, they should get picked up tomorrow by a fisherman off Hattarus.
There have been bad storms off the NC coast for the past couple of days.
If they got that far I wouldn't expect them to survive the weather conditions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 06:12 AM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 64,091 Times in 19,728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
There have been bad storms off the NC coast for the past couple of days.
If they got that far I wouldn't expect them to survive the weather conditions.
Bad weather will keep most of the fishing fleet from going out also.

Not good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 06:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 28,129 Times in 7,348 Posts

I agreed. I lived on the gulf for 10 years and am a avid offshore fisherman. The very first thing I did was buy a a good EPIRB and marine radio. When all else fails it will save your life. If an EPIRB goes off there are no questions asked, the coast guard is headed your way pronto..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 06:53 AM

I was told that the Coast Guard no longer does rescues , at least on the East Coast.
They said they would call a tow boat company. Might not be true though, just what I was told when I was boating over there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 07:01 AM
Survivor

Quote:
I was told that the Coast Guard no longer does rescues , at least on the East Coast.
They said they would call a tow boat company. Might not be true though, just what I was told when I was boating over there.
Maybe, but I'd find that kinda hard to believe. They may be talking about the idiots that head offshore without enough fuel and run out or break down The CG used to tow them in, but may have stopped. If your in life threatening distress they come. That's what the EPIRB'S are for. In the gulf, when they'd tow them in for being stupid (fuel etc) they would actually charge the boat owner for doing so.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 10:03 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,931 Times in 1,842 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
Not just the ocean, but can save your bacon in large lakes, riverine and coastal waters.

Also useful for wilderness backpacking, off-road ATV and light aircraft.

We use SPOT locator all the time and also carry either an Airband, Marine or 2-meter ham VHF, depending upon the AO, duration and type of outing.
Couldn't agree with you more! You can buy the latest Gen 3 Spot for $75 now, and get a year's service for a hundred bucks. The SpotX two way satellite communicator is 200 bucks now. They don't completely take the place of an EPIRB on a boat since they don't activate automatically, but they're a no brainer for remote hiking, camping, etc. And they're certainly better than nothing out in the ocean.

The Following User Says Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinID View Post
Couldn't agree with you more! You can buy the latest Gen 3 Spot for $75 now, and get a year's service for a hundred bucks. The SpotX two way satellite communicator is 200 bucks now. They don't completely take the place of an EPIRB on a boat since they don't activate automatically, but they're a no brainer for remote hiking, camping, etc. And they're certainly better than nothing out in the ocean.

There are some important differences between SPOT and the 406 satellite rescue beacons.

Spot is cheaper to buy, but in the long term, the annual fees will cost more than the pure rescue beacon, which has no annual fee.

Spot has a weaker signal and may not get a signal through in some conditions.

Spot will let you send some simple messages, and the rescue beacon will not.

No annual fee for the rescue beacon.

The user can't change the batteries (theoretically) on the pure rescue beacons. SPOT I think you can put new batteries in like any other device.

The pure rescue beacons will work anywhere on earth. SPOT, last time I checked was limited to their coverage areas.

If you are in the middle of the ocean, the pure rescue beacon will send the distress signal info to a satellite, which then rebroadcasts to the ground station in a few minutes once it goes over land.
I don't think SPOT can do this. If you are out of range, you don't get your signal through.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 05:42 PM

Just saw the updated news report. Those idiots are searching in the wrong place! They said the search zone is from middle of Georgia down to Florida. They are easily past N. Carolina by now.

Can't these fools perform basic math? 5 knot current means you drift 120 nautical miles every 24 hours.
3 days = 360 nautical miles or around 415 regular miles.
Old 08-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,283 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
It's not true.
It's largely dependent on the circumstances.

The news today said they had found some items identified as belonging to the missing men about 50 miles off the FL coast.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...7-d02d3af06386

Quote:
The wife of a missing Jacksonville firefighter posted on social media Monday afternoon saying rescue crews found his tackle bag. It was found off the coast of St. Augustine, Fla. about 50 miles out, Stephanie Young McCluney said on Facebook.

Her husband, Brian McCluney, a member of the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department, went missing on Friday, along with Justin Walker, a Fairfax, Va. firefighter. The two were last seen entering a boat dock for a fishing trip near Port Canaveral and they haven't been seen since.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:46 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 17,871 Times in 6,109 Posts

Gotta tell this one:

Back in the '80s I was a pretty serious roadracer, and traveled to Canada for several races in the series. At Mosport one evening the conversation turned to how dangerous the sport is. Some well-informed Canuck piped up with the statistic that, in Ontario, the sport having the greatest number of fatalities was.............(wait for it)...............fishing. I've always wondered how many of the drowned bodies were found with their fly unzipped.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:47 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,521 Posts

Quote:
Unless you are in danger of sinking, you are likely to have your emergency call referred to one of the commercial sea tow companies who will tow you in and charge a hefty rate for their effort. They can put a lien on your boat under salvage laws.

I have watched idiots sailing in Key Biscayne getting grounded on sand bars on their first time out. Lots of fatalities, swimmers plus beer plus propellers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 08:48 PM

Well, the gulf stream changes all the time. Maybe they weren't out far enough to be in it.
https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...a-2b5c1e884e14
Old 08-19-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Unless you are in danger of sinking, you are likely to have your emergency call referred to one of the commercial sea tow companies who will tow you in and charge a hefty rate for their effort. They can put a lien on your boat under salvage laws.

I have watched idiots sailing in Key Biscayne getting grounded on sand bars on their first time out. Lots of fatalities, swimmers plus beer plus propellers.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
I rescued about 30 powerboats with my sailboat in my time sailing in barnegat bay. I would tow them back under sail to kind of rub it in.

Friendly rivalry between stink potters and blow boaters.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29

Thanked 8,511 Times in 3,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Always dreamed of a Diesel Duck.

Instead I bought lakefront BOL property and a steel johnboat with a trolling motor.

Waaaaay cheaper.

Growing up, the cheap tiny rowboat, that would have been a not-very-rich person's dinghy to get to their real boat, was our boat. Oars with a small outboard in case SHTF, and life vests. Stayed close enough to the shore to be able to swim in if we got in trouble. We watched the sky and the water closely and at the first sign of change, took it in. Even so, calm can become a running current and/or 3 foot whitecaps crashing on the rocks in just a couple of minutes
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Old fart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 04:30 AM

I know they are trying to be postive and hopeful, but the story that they intentionally threw their fishing tackle bag overboard makes no sense to me.

It is a way for them to catch fish. No way would I throw that overboard. If they are out of food and water, eating raw fish can keep them alive. Remember that guy that launched off California a few years ago? He lived a year adrift, catching and eating fish and birds, long after his boat was out of food and water. I don't care how tough they are, once they are out of water, they won't live long.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3...ador_Alvarenga

So I figure they got run down by a freighter or something. Or the tackle bag flipped overboard accidently and they didn't notice it?

If it rains, they can try to collect the water in the cockpit I guess. After the first bt of rain to rinse the salt from the deck, stopper up the drain and drink the water that collects. Yum.

The other consideration beyond the current is the wind. That boat is mostly above the water, so it will be moved a lot depending upon the prevailing wind direction and strength. The tackle bag would likely be mostly under the water, removing the influence of wind as a significant factor in drift.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 06:11 AM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,768 Times in 779 Posts

Quote:
I understand that their policy is to save people not property.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 06:18 AM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,768 Times in 779 Posts

Quote:
I rescued about 30 powerboats with my sailboat in my time sailing in barnegat bay. I would tow them back under sail to kind of rub it in.

Friendly rivalry between stink potters and blow boaters.
LOL , I did that once in the Carquinez Strait. The best part was cutting them loose when the depth got to 4' and making them wade in, keel don't you know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2019, 06:37 AM
Survivor

I was thinking last night and got to wondering if they did the ultimate stupid. The seas weren't bad, so how could they lose the boat (short of hitting something). I'm wondering if they forgot to put the drain plug in the transom. Sounds silly, but it happens. The boat will float long enough to launch and leave. Any water that got in will drain back out while underway. But, when you stop to fish or troll the water will come in. You eventually find your boat low in the water and it will eventually capsize. I had a coworker that did just that. They managed to get about 15 miles out and while fishing they found themselves in trouble. The boat capsized. They managed to swim to a nearby unmanned oil rig. They were there for about 12 hours before someone discovered them. The also got ripped to shreds by barnicals when climbing the rig.

When I was preparing to go out the very first thing I did was install the drain plug and then I'd double check myself a few times while loading up..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pitbull_Dallas For This Useful Post: