When will boaters learn to get a rescue beacon before heading out in the ocean? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here

Old 08-18-2019, 06:01 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 64,161 Times in 19,745 Posts
Default When will boaters learn to get a rescue beacon before heading out in the ocean?

Advertise Here

Another tragedy in progress with 2 young firefighters fishing off Florida.

https://www.news4jax.com/top-stories...ayer-walks-set

heartbreaking and pretty much avoidable with a beacon.

Now a small army will be searching for days with little idea where to look.

The beacon relays your GPS coordinates to the rescue folks.
No guesswork. The rescue craft will zip out and save your sorry butt if you get in a jam.

For probably less than the price of the gasoline in the boat's fuel tanks, they would be at home safe and eating dinner.

They should have also had a good VHF radio, and more than a single engine. From the pic, it looks like it might have had only a single motor.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 06:37 PM
Survivor

Location: Outside the Moderate Damage Radius, over the mountain and far away.
Thanked 4,663 Times in 1,623 Posts

Not just the ocean, but can save your bacon in large lakes, riverine and coastal waters.

Also useful for wilderness backpacking, off-road ATV and light aircraft.

We use SPOT locator all the time and also carry either an Airband, Marine or 2-meter ham VHF, depending upon the AO, duration and type of outing.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Outpost75 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 07:43 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
Another tragedy in progress with 2 young firefighters fishing off Florida.

https://www.news4jax.com/top-stories...ayer-walks-set

heartbreaking and pretty much avoidable with a beacon.

Now a small army will be searching for days with little idea where to look.

The beacon relays your GPS coordinates to the rescue folks.
No guesswork. The rescue craft will zip out and save your sorry butt if you get in a jam.

For probably less than the price of the gasoline in the boat's fuel tanks, they would be at home safe and eating dinner.

They should have also had a good VHF radio, and more than a single engine. From the pic, it looks like it might have had only a single motor.
I have been watching this. I heard it was a shakedown run of a boat that had previous problems to be sorted out. With a rescue beacon and at least a cooler to hang onto, you have a chance of survival. Otherwise, it is a very big ocean out there even just a mile out.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I have been watching this. I heard it was a shakedown run of a boat that had previous problems to be sorted out. With a rescue beacon and at least a cooler to hang onto, you have a chance of survival. Otherwise, it is a very big ocean out there even just a mile out.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
They are required to have life jackets at least.
There is an ocean current that might have swept them Northeasterly if their motor died. They said it was the one guy's late father's boat, so maybe they didn't know what they were doing. Hope they find them. I guess they could have been run down by a freight ship and not have time to don life vests.

The current is around 5 knots, so if they have been drifting for 2 days, they are about 200-250 nautical miles to the NNE of their Jacksonville launch point. depending upon how long their engine ran.
So they should be off the N Carolina coast and about 40-80 miles offshore.
There is a big sport fishing fleet up there, so maybe they will spot them when they all head out tomorrow morning.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justme11 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 08:42 PM
Not a Commie

Thanked 1,792 Times in 785 Posts

I dont carry a radio.
I prefer to drown like a gentleman.

Sir Francis Chichester aboard Gypsy Moth.

I probably didn't get that quote right, but it's close.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 08:44 PM
NE TN Disaster Mik

About the cheapest EPIRB available at marine stores run around $400-$600. I have seen simpler systems online around $300. They USUALLY require a good recharger system mounted to a bulkhead, but could be housed in a car or even at home. Most operate for 24 hours then quit. Not a cheap device for a small craft with minimal electrical systems and outboards.

I have held a Master's (Captain) License for several years. When I operated small vessels offshore South Florida, I had many backup systems including GPS and Loran-C tracking. I have towed back to the harbor MANY small craft who ran out of gas due to simple poor planning.

US Customs and Coast Guard stations in Miami and Fort Lauderdale knew me and my vessel well, but they are often responding to vessels in danger near shore without even the required life vests.

We could all do better. The best protection aboard that is often lacking is.... Good common sense.

Sun Tzu: Best defense, don't be there!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MikThundercloud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Clinton's Hitman

I just heard that a cooler and life vests were recovered. Everybody here in FL who has a boat figures they are an expert. I have taken sailing lessons from a pro, and while I got some "papers", and learned the lingo and could operate a sailboat, there was not nearly enough focus on safety and equipment.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikThundercloud View Post
About the cheapest EPIRB available at marine stores run around $400-$600. I have seen simpler systems online around $300. They USUALLY require a good recharger system mounted to a bulkhead, but could be housed in a car or even at home. Most operate for 24 hours then quit. Not a cheap device for a small craft with minimal electrical systems and outboards.

I have held a Master's (Captain) License for several years. When I operated small vessels offshore South Florida, I had many backup systems including GPS and Loran-C tracking. I have towed back to the harbor MANY small craft who ran out of gas due to simple poor planning.

US Customs and Coast Guard stations in Miami and Fort Lauderdale knew me and my vessel well, but they are often responding to vessels in danger near shore without even the required life vests.

We could all do better. The best protection aboard that is often lacking is.... Good common sense.

The big EPIRBs used to cost around $1200 for a good one.
Now, ACR makes a nice inexpensive floating personal EPIRB. You have to manually turn it on. Not an automated float free type.

I have one. $289

https://www.amazon.com/PLB-375-ResQL...gateway&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/ACR-ResQLink-...gateway&sr=8-4

The lithium batteries are good for like 8 years.
No recharging. Small and only a few ozs. Stick in your pocket and forget about it unless you need to be rescued from a life and death situation.

If you want a cheaper one, there are a couple other suppliers.
McMurdo, etc.

These guys are young and tough though.
As long as the boat didn't sink, they should get picked up tomorrow by a fisherman off Hattarus.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:52 PM
Clinton's Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikThundercloud View Post

There is nothing about boating that is cheap. Being cheap and operating a boat or plane is a disaster waiting to happen.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Central Scrutinizer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 08:57 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 17,923 Times in 6,123 Posts

My Rhode Island friends said that "a boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 08:58 PM
Not a Commie

When you go out to sea you are on your own.

I spent 2 years sailing the West coast of Mexico with complete knowledge that if something went wrong it was on me to fix it, I went willingly.

100 miles offshore, response time can be a bit sluggish.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkbait View Post
I dont carry a radio.
I prefer to drown like a gentleman.

I probably didn't get that quote right, but it's close.
There were some great sailors that refused to carry radios.
But they were GREAT SAILORS! Their boats were equipped to weather a hurricane and escape with minor damage. They were expert at seamanship. They knew storm defense tactics and had the equipment.

They could repair hull breach, they could fix engines, they had storm sails, drogues, sea anchors. Their boats were way stronger than normal. Their rigging was bulletproof. The hull shape, keel type and rudder type were selected for maximum traditional survivability. Their boats were set up to survive a full roll. They had devoted a major part of their lives to being the best. So yeah, if they didn't want a radio, no arguents. They were on esoteric journeys of adventure and enlightenment.

Bernard Moitessiere was my hero, but there are others of course in that same league.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:48 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,363 Times in 18,974 Posts

Unless your front porch is a Cajun or Everglades swamp then you don't need a boat unless its your job.

Boating is not a hobby for those on a shoestring budget. Just buying a tiny baggie of 5 stainless screws at West Marine for $3.99 instead of the pack of steel ones at Home Depot for $1.29 should clue you in that you have moved to a different cost category for everything.

Think you can pull up to the Walmart Murphy gas dock and get filled for $2.29 a gallon for unleaded? Ha!

Don't do boating halfway. Either pony up what it really costs or sell the damn boat.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 10:16 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,288 Times in 364 Posts

When ?? If they survive the first incident.

Maybe ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Logit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 10:23 PM
Militant Normal

Thanked 17,923 Times in 6,123 Posts

Never too old to learn something new. The words Gypsy Moth and Chichester conjured up to me the pioneering trip he made from England to Japan via Australia in a deHavilland Gypsy Moth biplane. Also sans radio.

I did not know that he then became a sailor.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Old Coach For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 10:37 PM
Not a Commie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
There were some great sailors that refused to carry radios.
But they were GREAT SAILORS!
Any damn fool can navigate the world sober, it takes a really good sailor to do it drunk.

The guy was a source of great quotes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 10:40 PM
Not a Commie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Coach View Post
Never too old to learn something new. The words Gypsy Moth and Chichester conjured up to me the pioneering trip he made from England to Japan via Australia in a deHavilland Gypsy Moth biplane. Also sans radio.

I did not know that he then became a sailor.
I think he did the first OSTAR, but I'm old and my memory is failing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 10:43 PM
Not a Commie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamZeke View Post
Unless your front porch is a Cajun or Everglades swamp then you don't need a boat unless its your job.

Boating is not a hobby for those on a shoestring budget. Just buying a tiny baggie of 5 stainless screws at West Marine for $3.99 instead of the pack of steel ones at Home Depot for $1.29 should clue you in that you have moved to a different cost category for everything.

Think you can pull up to the Walmart Murphy gas dock and get filled for $2.29 a gallon for unleaded? Ha!

Don't do boating halfway. Either pony up what it really costs or sell the damn boat.
A cheap boat will be the most expensive thing you'll ever buy.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sharkbait For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 12:10 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,363 Times in 18,974 Posts

Always dreamed of a Diesel Duck.

Instead I bought lakefront BOL property and a steel johnboat with a trolling motor.

Waaaaay cheaper.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 01:02 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 3,932 Times in 1,843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I just heard that a cooler and life vests were recovered.
Coast Guard says it's not from their boat.

But they're still missing.... At least they're young and probably in good shape. Hopefully this is still going to turn out well.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HappyinID For This Useful Post: