Frozen 1/4lb hamburger patties recommendations. - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 08-17-2019, 12:32 PM
Don't get me started

Thanked 29,421 Times in 10,410 Posts
Default Frozen 1/4lb hamburger patties recommendations.

Advertise Here

It has been getting to where the frozen hamburger patties found in my local stores are not worth buying. Filled with gristle, sometimes bone chips and not very good tasting. This has caused me to look online for what might be available.

The problem is (beyond price and some of the prices are steep!) that there are not many places that sell 1/4lb burgers (must be able to separate while frozen) though many have 1/3lb (too large in my opinion for regular hamburger buns). I am not impressed with all the buzz words like all grass fed or organic. Makes them sound like marketing to health food faddists and not those of us that care about taste. I want tender, flavorful meat that grills up without a lot of fat to cause flash fires. But enough to hold together and retain juices.

I have tentatively identified a couple of possibilities. Both have 16-1/4lb burger selections. One has corn fed beef and the other all grass fed. The corn fed is higher cost but may just be worth it.

Any of you folks out there have any favorites I could look at? I am not interested in making my own from fresh. Just too much hassle to do properly, and for a single guy, the ability to grill up one or two frozen pre-made patties is hard to beat.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 01:28 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,062 Posts

The usda now says what was known as pink slime can be sold as ground beef.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:07 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,610 Times in 456 Posts

I don't know if you have HEB in you area, but here's what I really like.

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...ct-description

These are pre-cooked burgers and I find them to be very delicious. We've been getting these for about three years now and I've never had any gristle or bone in them.

If you don't have a HEB nearby, maybe your local grocery store has a pre-cooked version of their own.

I know I was reluctant to try pre-cooked meats because that kinda stuff tasted awful when I was younger. It seems to me "they" have come a long way since then though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2019, 02:21 PM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornly2 View Post

Thanks, but there is no HEB around these parts. My choices are basically Walmart and Aldis. There are a few smaller grocery stores but they do not have much.
The Following User Says Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:26 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,169 Times in 9,066 Posts

Quote:

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h...ct-description

These are pre-cooked burgers and I find them to be very delicious. We've been getting these for about three years now and I've never had any gristle or bone in them.

If you don't have a HEB nearby, maybe your local grocery store has a pre-cooked version of their own.

I know I was reluctant to try pre-cooked meats because that kinda stuff tasted awful when I was younger. It seems to me "they" have come a long way since then though.
If they are pre-cooked, doesn't reheating dry them out or over cook them? I like my burgers pink and juicy on the inside.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:29 PM
6 Boys and 13 Hands

Thanked 27,088 Times in 6,834 Posts

Get a hamburger press and make your own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Creek Walker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,610 Times in 456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
If they are pre-cooked, doesn't reheating dry them out or over cook them? I like my burgers pink and juicy on the inside.
You would think they'd be dry but they come out just fine, juicy and tasty. Of course it won't be pink in the middle. I'd compare it in taste and texture to a Whopper patty from Burger King.

Anyway, that's part of what I meant when I say they are getting better at this stuff these days. You just gotta try some of these precooked offerings sometime. You might be surprised.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cornly2 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Don't get me started

In my searching today I found a place called Western grassfed beef. I just put in a order for hamburger patties and a few other items like steaks and roasts (to get the free shipping if you buy $100 or more). I notice they are in California which is a fair piece from my place in Arkansas so it will be interesting how the thing works out. Especially with it being Summer time and all.

I will update this Thread once I get a chance to try them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:44 PM
Survivor

Quote:
You would think they'd be dry but they come out just fine, juicy and tasty. Of course it won't be pink in the middle. I'd compare it in taste and texture to a Whopper patty from Burger King.

Anyway, that's part of what I meant when I say they are getting better at this stuff these days. You just gotta try some of these precooked offerings sometime. You might be surprised.
Thanks, but i doubt that I will ever give it a try. My preferred way of making burgers is to buy a 25+ pound chuck roll, cut it up into roasts and use the scraps to grind for 80-20 burger.

That said, until our house is rebuilt we have been buying pre-ground and making 1/4 pound burgers as needed.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCalHippie View Post
Thanks, but i doubt that I will ever give it a try. My preferred way of making burgers is to buy a 25+ pound chuck roll, cut it up into roasts and use the scraps to grind for 80-20 burger.

That said, until our house is rebuilt we have been buying pre-ground and making 1/4 pound burgers as needed.
I should have placed my order with you. Thought about going into business?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 02:49 PM
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
It has been getting to where the frozen hamburger patties found in my local stores are not worth buying. Filled with gristle, sometimes bone chips and not very good tasting. This has caused me to look online for what might be available.

The problem is (beyond price and some of the prices are steep!) that there are not many places that sell 1/4lb burgers (must be able to separate while frozen) though many have 1/3lb (too large in my opinion for regular hamburger buns). I am not impressed with all the buzz words like all grass fed or organic. Makes them sound like marketing to health food faddists and not those of us that care about taste. I want tender, flavorful meat that grills up without a lot of fat to cause flash fires. But enough to hold together and retain juices.

I have tentatively identified a couple of possibilities. Both have 16-1/4lb burger selections. One has corn fed beef and the other all grass fed. The corn fed is higher cost but may just be worth it.

Any of you folks out there have any favorites I could look at? I am not interested in making my own from fresh. Just too much hassle to do properly, and for a single guy, the ability to grill up one or two frozen pre-made patties is hard to beat.
Real grass fed beef (not the grass pellet feed) will taste like chlorophyll which is bitter.
Grass feed beef is usually switched to grain feed for a few weeks until the bitter flavor is gone.
They have grass pellets now, which I know little about, but the probably removed the bitterness of the grass somehow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoveman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 03:10 PM
Cynical Thinker

Thanked 4,402 Times in 549 Posts

I've ground my own from beef knuckle trim leftovers. It was fresh but nothing to rave about. We habitually purchase already frozen Sam's Club ground sirloin patties. Rated 4.7 out of five stars, I know we really enjoy them. Now for the bad news; they're 1/3 pound before cooking. PS The trick to keeping the patties easy to separate is getting them to the cooler with freezer packs ASAP for the ride home.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EventHorizon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 03:17 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,705 Times in 2,062 Posts

Costco has black angus frozen patties in a bun you just microwave. I just add condiments and onion for quick decent burger. Bought on sale not a bad price, there is a coupon fairly often.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dmas For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 03:54 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,309 Times in 906 Posts

We buy whole boneless chuck roasts when on sale for $2.99/LB and do our own grinding.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snyper708 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 04:14 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper708 View Post
We buy whole boneless chuck roasts when on sale for $2.99/LB and do our own grinding.
I think we paid $2.78/lb for our last chuck roll. We never buy if it is over $3.00/lb.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 04:16 PM
More than .0001%

Thanked 2,035 Times in 701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
I've ground my own from beef knuckle trim leftovers. It was fresh but nothing to rave about. We habitually purchase already frozen Sam's Club ground sirloin patties. Rated 4.7 out of five stars, I know we really enjoy them. Now for the bad news; they're 1/3 pound before cooking. PS The trick to keeping the patties easy to separate is getting them to the cooler with freezer packs ASAP for the ride home.
We buy the same patties from Samís and agree they are very good. My wife separates them by simply hitting the edge of the patties against the counter top corner and they pop right apart.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lb0190 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 04:17 PM
Survivor

Quote:
I should have placed my order with you. Thought about going into business?
I would love to help out, but I am sure there are way too many heath codes to bother with.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:27 PM
Don't get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
... Now for the bad news; they're 1/3 pound before cooking. ...
Yeah there is a lot of 1/3 pound patties out there. They are just the wrong size for me. 2 of them are too much for a dinner and 1 is not enough. Walmart carries frozen Black Angus patties of that size (probably the same as Sams) and I tried them out. I ended up thawing 3 at a time to make chili and tacos from the meat rather than use them for hamburgers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MattB4 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2019, 04:34 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Yeah there is a lot of 1/3 pound patties out there. They are just the wrong size for me. 2 of them are too much for a dinner and 1 is not enough. Walmart carries Black Angus patties of that size (probably the same as Sams) and I tried them out. I ended up thawing 3 at a time to make chili and tacos from the meat rather than use them for hamburgers.
For the most part, I make 1/4 pound patties, but now and then we buy the bigger buns which really need the 1/3 pound to fill them. When I make the 1/3 pounders, I end up with leftovers for breakfast.
Old 08-17-2019, 04:44 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 21,945 Times in 6,888 Posts

We pasture raise / butcher 2 or 3 steers every year.
Then ground our own hamburger.
We use a WESTON Hamburger press for making patties.

If you can find good buys on bulk ground beef?
A Weston burger press makes it easy to make your own patties.
They are all over Amazon & eBay around $20.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bunkerbuster For This Useful Post: