LIVING in a vehicle as a prep? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 08-18-2019, 01:14 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,898 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerindel View Post
Is it really different? because I think the inside of a thick metal tank would be pretty good for a tornado. Not as good as buried shelter but a lot better than say, an RV or mobile home.

And although those tanks are not thick enough to stop high velocity rifle rounds they would stop all normal pistol calibers etc.\\

And again, I will reiterate, although I really like the idea of living in a large heavy duty vehicle, I don't necessarily think a liquid tank trailer is the ideal starting place.
Having seen tanker trucks thrown about by tornadoes, I believe that there is a difference.

The trailer/RV can be left ready to go, either at the primary residence or a secondary location.
We had a pretty good fire in town last July 4th. Local LE and Fire evacuated about a third of town, @4000 people displaced in minutes. Thanks to the wind not changing, unusual for here and a psychotic city worker on a bulldozer, only a couple of houses suffered smoke damage/melted siding.
Had he wind shifted, half of town could have burned.

Thats when I really started looking at evacuation plans and methods. Something like this happens again it would be nice to be able to just drive off with a second "home" that is at least partially stocked so we don't have to be refugees with nothing.

I'm betting on personal SHTF's again. The heater goes out in January, we just climb into the trailer and fire the heater up. Snow collapses the roof? Same.

Dramatic SHTF happens, for us at least, if we can't stay at home, then being able to sneak into the backcountry around here, well its gonna look like a giant trailer park anyway out in the boonies considering the number of trailers in town alone. Kinda looks like that already during hunting season.
Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2019, 02:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,828 Times in 1,353 Posts

Been looking at wood burning stove chimney inserts. Had an idea about installing casters under the baseplate. I still have cords of seasoned split wood. Any ideas or helpful hints on this?
Old 08-18-2019, 11:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,797 Times in 18,789 Posts

I've written repeatedly about my 3 years full timing in my airstream.and how it's a TERRIBLE idea from.a.preparedness standpoint.

Extremely limited storage, not efficient, dependant upon the system, high cost, low secirty, etc
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 12,780 Times in 4,126 Posts

Something I didn't really make clear previously, is that I would never WANT to live in a vehicle.

However, I fear that the landowning lifestyle's days may be numbered. I have a constant low level fear that taxes, building, codes, laws, etc are going to change as we proceed with the collapse in a such a way that I won't have the option of living in one place. This has already happened to tens of thousands of people.

I would rather have something akin to a bunker on wheels ready when this time comes than end up like everyone else:

The Following User Says Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 09:24 PM

Thanked 1,282 Times in 604 Posts

I think it makes sense if what you were trying to do was transport people covertly-- except the part I have a problem with is why a moving vehicle, especially something like a tanker, would be less interesting to enemies etc. than any kind of group of people.

Another circumstance in which it might be smart is when you just had no other type of vehicles or structures to use but this one. You had no RV, reefer, etc.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:00 PM
styer sniper

A milk tanker would be good for this double lined and insulated some have a cooling system between the double walls. Ive seen several lowboy trailers made into cabins. They would be nice to have a rig to haul it. Insurance, health card , commercial dl, mdot number, etc... Come into play while some form pf law is still in play. Mad max season this would be awesome. Ive always thought a gooseneck horse trailer with the living quaters woyld be great. Have a living area and a storage/ whatever area in the back. I bought a 4/5 horse one with living quaters a while back for $1800.king size bed, ac/heat, tv, couch, and kitchen. My 500 gal fuel tank can slide in the back along with my 4wheeler. We have had mandatory evac due to hurricanes and a few tornadoes. Next time on truck hauls this and the other hauls the camper. The main thing is its ll stuff we use regularly and not special bought
The Following User Says Thank You to tomclay98 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2019, 11:42 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,307 Times in 3,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
SAW THIS pic on a site

Good idea

bad idea

could be workable

an interesting idea anyway.

As long as you can have good ventilation, it would be legit.

Throw some cameras on it, plant mines around the tanker, and see if you could convert the top hatch to a turret.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
Old 08-30-2019, 03:24 AM
Hunter

Thanked 3,114 Times in 1,221 Posts

Normally I would say this idea makes no sense as it seems to have few advantages over normal RV. However where this concept might work well is in Thailand. In Thailand RVs are illegal because too many of them caused issues in the past, but there are many amazing camping areas. I think other Asian countries have similar rules as well. Just make sure to set up a tent beside it anytime you stop for more than a short time to not draw suspicion. I am not sure the specifics of the law there so not sure if you would be risking breaking it or not, but I suspect it would be fine. There is certainly no law against sleeping in your vehicle.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-31-2019, 06:58 PM
aka Mental Avenger

Thanked 5,970 Times in 2,258 Posts

Most tanker trucks would be targets. There are two ways to make them less appealing.
Include a high pressure air tank or compressor somewhere in the truck. Let enough air out of all the tires to make them look flat, without breaking the bead. If you need to move, you can inflate them. Meanwhile, they will look useless and appear to have been there a long time.
Paint a professional looking logo on the sides of the tank and the truck doors, Sewage Pumping and Removal. Paint brown and black streaks down the sides, making it look like sewage has been leaking out. Vent the sewage from your toilet out onto the ground to make it real.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yehudi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 09:23 PM
gagged

Thanked 9,596 Times in 2,735 Posts

We used to be in the septic pumping business. We pumped out the systems in some rural jails. Once when we were leaving the jail the gaurds had lost track of a prisoner. They wanted to search in our truck. The driver tried to explain that we pull a vacuum on the truck to load it but the guards were adamant. Finally he called the office and ask me to explain why he was sure the prisoner was not in the tank. I told the gaurd, when we load up our truck we use a 100gallon per minute pump we pull as much of a vacuum as possible to enable us to load as much as possible. The gaurds were still not satisfied, finally I told the guy, sir if your prisoner is in our tank with 3000 gallons of sewage, he is dead. The gaurd paused for a moment and said, well OK then I guess yall can go, because I don't want that paperwork issue.

Sent from my SM-J727U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to orangenomad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2019, 10:10 PM
American fearmaker

Thanked 26,915 Times in 8,700 Posts

Why not put the water tank or whatever that tank of fluid is at the front and then put a door on the back end for easier access? Also how did the people in the drawing get a full size mattress into the tank area? I've seen those tiny manhole openings on top and that portal on the front isn't big enough for a mattress to go through either type of them. So did they build the tank around the mattress or what?
Old 08-31-2019, 11:22 PM
Mini tourer expert

I think this is cooler.

Old 09-01-2019, 04:46 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,191 Times in 798 Posts

A tanker would be sub optimal to say the least. The shape and lousy use of space is only the start of the issues. Bigger problems would be insulation and condensation build up. Shipping containers even when lined can be tough to keep dry.

ex Milk tanker wouldnt have chem issues
The Following User Says Thank You to Timbersawz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 05:48 AM
Just some guy

Thanked 18,495 Times in 6,076 Posts

Well I sorta live in a vehicle now. I can do 30 days without having to buy anything or eat in restaurants. I have the truck set up pretty nice and keep it well stocked.

Here's some pics of a meal I made in the truck and a view of my " living space "

The pics aren't the greatest, sorry.

I have a decent sized fridge with freezer. Microwave. Little one burner stove. In addition to the refrigerated and frozen foods I keep plenty of canned goods, non perishables, and water water and more water.

You probably can't see but it's actually a condo sleeper. I have the top bunk folded up against the rear bulkhead when I'm by myself.

I can't show my storage areas because I have things in them I'd rather not share but if I got rid of my work related equipment I could easily store enough food and water for two people for approx six months.

Power is supplied by a battery bank. Truck auto starts if the batteries get low. I usually get away with 12 hours just running light ac and fridge on a full charge. I idle when I cook or use the microwave to protect the batteries.

If I'm not pulling a load I can get 1200 miles on full tanks. If I'm hitting the power hard the truck will idle and that fuel usage is approx 1 gallon of diesel per hour. That's about how long it takes to fully charge depleted batteries.

I'll post more pics and ideas if y'all are interested in what I'm doing with this thing in terms of prepping.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to iyaayas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 08:24 AM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 33,892 Times in 9,539 Posts

I bought a used full sized van conversion a couple months back, as an emergency evacuation vehicle. Since it is 20 yrs old, it needs lots of work before it can bug anywhere. It already has a nice fold down bed in the back, so my plan is to add a removable kitchen unit, and portapotty.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hick Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 09:19 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,443 Times in 883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post

I'll post more pics and ideas if y'all are interested in what I'm doing with this thing in terms of prepping.
Please do...
Might want to start a new thread.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woowoo2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Fix Bayonets!

Thanked 7,307 Times in 3,229 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyaayas View Post
Well I sorta live in a vehicle now. I can do 30 days without having to buy anything or eat in restaurants. I have the truck set up pretty nice and keep it well stocked.

Here's some pics of a meal I made in the truck and a view of my " living space "

The pics aren't the greatest, sorry.

I have a decent sized fridge with freezer. Microwave. Little one burner stove. In addition to the refrigerated and frozen foods I keep plenty of canned goods, non perishables, and water water and more water.

You probably can't see but it's actually a condo sleeper. I have the top bunk folded up against the rear bulkhead when I'm by myself.

I can't show my storage areas because I have things in them I'd rather not share but if I got rid of my work related equipment I could easily store enough food and water for two people for approx six months.

Power is supplied by a battery bank. Truck auto starts if the batteries get low. I usually get away with 12 hours just running light ac and fridge on a full charge. I idle when I cook or use the microwave to protect the batteries.

If I'm not pulling a load I can get 1200 miles on full tanks. If I'm hitting the power hard the truck will idle and that fuel usage is approx 1 gallon of diesel per hour. That's about how long it takes to fully charge depleted batteries.

Living well!

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to ForgedInTheFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2019, 01:53 PM
democrats = Hydra

Thanked 9,242 Times in 3,610 Posts

I don't have the resources for a full Mad Max system

would love to have maybe a large pickup with a cap. big enough to sleep in and basic supplies (PBJ materials, nutrition bars, water of course; scanner/radio/batteries).
I'm thinking in terms of temporary bug outs; house cut off by flood or blizzard, evacuation from forest fire (happened down not far from me) etc. something I could park @ Wal-Mart or the county 911 center for a few days and not have to go in and bunk with the street people. in an emergency I would really love to maintain as much independence as possible.