Advertise Here
Closed Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,869 Times in 7,119 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
Is it alright if I call you Catholic from now on?
Not with a capital "c". I believe in the universal church worshiping God, the father; God, the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Or stated otherwise:

I believe in the catholic church worshiping God, the father; God, the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

If you believe in those 3 things with only God's Word, the Bible, and prayers to God without an intermediary then you believe in the catholic (God's universal) church.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Survivor

God has answered too many prayers and forgiven me of too much without a Priest. I have no need for a human go-between called a Priest or Pope. They are a resistance and obstruction to each and God.

Pastors, preachers, ministers all serve God and God's people helping to provide earthly comfort, council, evangelism and mission work. They are answering God's call to them and serving God with their gifts and talents. That does not make them necessary for a personal relationship with God. They are not necessary to receive the forgiveness and grace of Christ. And the Holy Spirit resides in each and every person. This is all given to us by God. Neither works nor a Pope and his Priest are necessary for a this personal relationship with God.

If you believe otherwise that judgement is between you and God. All of this is how God's word read through the Holy Spirit within me speaks to me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 01:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,020 Times in 705 Posts

Quote:
Gal 2:7* But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;*
Gal 2:8* (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles*
Paul Says is Scripture that the Gospel to non-Jews was given to him (from the Holy Spirit) and the Gospel to Jews was given to Peter(by the same Holy Spirit)

Scripture clearly shows that the only Apostle to go to Rome was Paul. Peter is never mentioned as being in Rome. Surely if Peter was in Rome during the time Paul was imprisoned there, Paul would have mentioned him (being he was prominent as an Apostle) since he mentioned all the others that were there.

The only Scripture that might possibly indicate that Peter was in Rome is
Quote:
1Pe 5:13* The church that is at Babylon, elected together with you, saluteth you; and so doth Marcus my son.*
However. it is much more likely in view of Gal 2:7,8 that Peter was in the general area of Babylon ministering to the descendants of the Jews that had remained in Babylon after the headed up by Ezra and the later effort by Nehemiah. Babylon was itself destroyed but many Jews were still in the area many years later.

The church of Jesus Christ can only be built on the death, burial and resurrection of Christ Himself. That is what make a person a Christian and member of the true church.

Quote:
Mat 16:15* He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?*
Mat 16:16* And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.*
Mat 16:17* And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.*
Mat 16:18* And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.*
The Rock is Christ
Quote:
1Co 10:4* And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.*
Quote:
Mat_21:42* Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous in our eyes?
Mar_12:10* And have ye not read this scripture; The stone which the builders rejected is become the head of the corner:
Luk_20:17* And he beheld them, and said, What is this then that is written, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become the head of the corner?
Act_4:11* This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.Eph_2:20* And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
1Pe_2:6* Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
1Pe_2:7* Unto you therefore which believe he is precious: but unto them which be disobedient, the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,
Christ is the cornerstone of the Church. He is the Rock. He is the rock upon which the church is built.

Compare Scripture with Scripture.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinkerpv For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2019, 02:00 PM
Layman

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
Not with a capital "c". I believe in the universal church worshiping God, the father; God, the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

Or stated otherwise:

I believe in the catholic church worshiping God, the father; God, the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.

If you believe in those 3 things with only God's Word, the Bible, and prayers to God without an intermediary then you believe in the catholic (God's universal) church.
I'm glad we are both catholics
The Following User Says Thank You to Sloth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Layman

Thanked 2,847 Times in 1,371 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkerpv View Post
Paul Says is Scripture that the Gospel to non-Jews was given to him (from the Holy Spirit) and the Gospel to Jews was given to Peter(by the same Holy Spirit)

Scripture clearly shows that the only Apostle to go to Rome was Paul. Peter is never mentioned as being in Rome. Surely if Peter was in Rome during the time Paul was imprisoned there, Paul would have mentioned him (being he was prominent as an Apostle) since he mentioned all the others that were there.

The only Scripture that might possibly indicate that Peter was in Rome is However. it is much more likely in view of Gal 2:7,8 that Peter was in the general area of Babylon ministering to the descendants of the Jews that had remained in Babylon after the headed up by Ezra and the later effort by Nehemiah. Babylon was itself destroyed but many Jews were still in the area many years later.

The church of Jesus Christ can only be built on the death, burial and resurrection of Christ Himself. That is what make a person a Christian and member of the true church.

The Rock is Christ

Christ is the cornerstone of the Church. He is the Rock. He is the rock upon which the church is built.

Compare Scripture with Scripture.
in all of the letters from St. Paul Peter is referred to as "Cephas" which is rock in Aramaic.

Jesus changes his name to Rock but he's not the rock?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sloth For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2019, 09:33 PM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 6,376 Times in 1,392 Posts

I'm always dismayed when discussion like this descend into barren and trivial arguments.

All Christians should stick together. Silly disputes over hair-splitting doctrines and obscure differences only divide us.

There are plenty of forces out in the World today, that would like to wipe-us out. Regardless of what shade of Christian we might be.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to zooeyhll For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 11:06 AM
It's ok to be white

Thanked 90,991 Times in 24,031 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhll View Post
I'm always dismayed when discussion like this descend into barren and trivial arguments.

All Christians should stick together. Silly disputes over hair-splitting doctrines and obscure differences only divide us.

There are plenty of forces out in the World today, that would like to wipe-us out. Regardless of what shade of Christian we might be.
So very well said!

I have always believed if there was some global force (and there is) that would put out "wanted posters" on each one of us for committing the crime of Christianity, we would band together like never before in history. Oddly we would discover the same unity Christ called us to. Maybe even discover that unity doesn't necessarily have to mean total agreement.

IMHO Christianity was designed to work best under the sword of persecution. We sorta suck when in we are in charge and have something to brag about.

We are talking about a son of a poor carpenter and twelve men in back-water Judea that changed the world and turned it on it's head in a few short years. NOTHING has been the same since then. Truly a mustard seed of nothing, moved cultural mountain ranges all over the globe.

Is there any wonder why God allows trouble to come into our lives. Personally when the world caves in on my world, I'm "suddenly" spending so much more time with BIG dad and regretting my own actions and asking for forgiveness.

yeah, I'm beginning to see a pattern
Old 06-03-2019, 12:02 PM
Survivor

Where Did The Pope Come From? From his mother and father just like any of you. He is no different than any of you _ well have of you. No women are permitted to be Pope. I wonder if a trans could become Pope? Or could a tans become a Sister? Wonder how Pelosi reconciles her hypocrisy between her politics and religion?
Old 06-03-2019, 02:24 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,020 Times in 705 Posts

I agree with those that have advocated for unity in the Christian faith. However, false doctrine should be set straight.

When major doctrinal differences are disregarded, ecumenism becomes the norm and soon it doesn't matter what you believe.

Paul said in
Quote:
Rom_16:17* Now I beseech you, brethren, mark them which cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrine which ye have learned; and avoid them.
Quote:
1Co_14:26* How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.
Eph_4:14* That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
Biblical doctrine should be adhered to. Unbiblical doctrine should be rejected.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:19 PM
Survivor

Thanked 14,111 Times in 3,318 Posts

Quote:

All Christians should stick together. Silly disputes over hair-splitting doctrines and obscure differences only divide us. ....
Trivial arguments? Do you mean "trivial" arguments like those that deny Jesus' divinity and argue that he was a mere mortal man equal to Aristotle or some other philosopher?

"Silly disputes over hair splitting doctrines" like the Sacrament of the Holy Eucharest are neither silly, nor splitting hairs!

The Protestant denial of 1,500 years of Church history certainly does divide us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMan View Post
So very well said!
...We are talking about a son of a poor carpenter and twelve men in back-water Judea that changed the world and turned it on it's head in a few short years. ...
We are talking about G-d incarnate and His 12 handpicked Apostles.

Am I splitting hairs? It would seem that the above post denies the divinity of Christ, or does it just disrespect and denigrate Him?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 06:00 PM
Survivor

Thanked 21,430 Times in 5,453 Posts

By any chance could the OP have been wondering in the biological sense?
The Following User Says Thank You to AZ_HighCountry For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:02 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,148 Times in 10,218 Posts

Quote:

All Christians should stick together. Silly disputes over hair-splitting doctrines and obscure differences only divide us ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batko10 View Post
Trivial arguments?
Yes, trivial arguments. I'm reminded of the saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff - and its all small stuff."

Your problem is you want to win a war of words while losing souls - starting with your own.

The Danger of Criticism
Remind everyone about these things, and command them in Godís presence to stop fighting over words. Such arguments are useless, and they can ruin those who hear them.
2 Timothy 2:14 (NLT)

Accept other believers who are weak in faith, and donít argue with them about what they think is right or wrong.
Romans 14:1 (NLT)

So letís stop condemning each other. Decide instead to live in such a way that you will not cause another believer to stumble and fall.
Romans 14:13 (NLT)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Am I splitting hairs?
Yes. You are arguing Law when we're talking about Grace.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 20,834 Times in 5,809 Posts

Well said pe! Well said brother.
The Following User Says Thank You to TENNGRIZZ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TENNGRIZZ View Post
Well said pe! Well said brother.
Thanks! I know that no matter how well I make a point, some members here will find ways to be divisive about it, reply with ad homenim, strawman, etc.

If only they could put their powers to good in this world ...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
in all of the letters from St. Paul Peter is referred to as "Cephas" which is rock in Aramaic.

Jesus changes his name to Rock but he's not the rock?
Who is the better foundation of Christianity, Jesus or Peter?

Why do they call Jesus the cornerstone? (Link summarized different from header to infuriate SB pharisee's. )
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 08:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Yes, trivial arguments. I'm reminded of the saying, "Don't sweat the small stuff - and its all small stuff."

]
Denial of Christ being G-d incarnate is NOT small stuff.

Denial of Christ's death and resurrection for our salvation is NOT small stuff.

Denial of the Holy Trinity is NOT small stuff.

Protestants ignoring 1,500 years of Christian history, tradition, and study/interpretation of the Scriptures by the early Church fathers and saints is NOT small stuff.

Since you're not a Christian I suppose none of this means anything to you. However, I wonder about TENNGRIZ, Ohio Man, and a few others who would appear to support you. They claim to be Christians, but support the positions of a non-Christian Universalist or whatever you claim to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Denial of Christ being G-d incarnate is NOT small stuff.

Denial of Christ's death and resurrection for our salvation is NOT small stuff.

Denial of the Holy Trinity is NOT small stuff.

Protestants ignoring 1,500 years of Christian history, tradition, and study/interpretation of the Scriptures by the early Church fathers and saints is NOT small stuff.

Since you're not a Christian I suppose none of this means anything to you. However, I wonder about TENNGRIZ, Ohio Man, and a few others who would appear to support you. They claim to be Christians, but support the positions of a non-Christian Universalist or whatever you claim to be.
You are equating God and Christ with the men of the Catholic Church. You are correct that is not small stuff that is big time heresy. Which is exactly what the Pope and Priest are committing_heresy.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:29 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Protestants, Orthodox and RCC ignoring the believing Jews that were edged out leaving behind the 4th commandment and the feasts of God.
Old 06-03-2019, 10:52 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmettoTree View Post
You are equating God and Christ with the men of the Catholic Church. You are correct that is not small stuff that is big time heresy. Which is exactly what the Pope and Priest are committing_heresy.
I'm NOT Catholic, but I don't see the RCC denying the divinity of Christ, His suffering, death, and resurrection for our salvation, nor denying the Holy Trinity as Peter Energy and others on this form have done.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread