Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
America is under attack by an evil ideology Caseyboy General Discussion 163 12-08-2017 08:53 AM
America a Christian Nation? Ian Treloar Religious Discussion 144 03-29-2017 09:55 PM
President Trump Needs Your Support - Join ACT FOR AMERICA Now! Batko10 Political News and Discussion 4 01-30-2017 07:42 PM
It's done. (Trump is done) Crixus Political News and Discussion 1318 11-10-2016 10:21 AM

Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,886 Times in 1,043 Posts

Advertise Here

Fr Lazarus El Anthony Monk's Life (modern hermit living currently in Saint Anthony the Great cave). Worthy disciple.

Coming from Protestant family. Wonder of wonders...

Australian by birth.

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 09:50 AM
Hunter

Old 08-21-2019, 07:32 AM
Hunter

Holy Relics-Orthodox Saints.

Among many the Holy Hierarch John Archbishop of Shanghai and San Francisco, the wonderworker.

He is beloved and celebrated worldwide, with portions of his relics located in Serbia, Russia, Mount Athos, Greece (Church of Saint Anna in Katerini) Bulgaria, Romania, United States (San Francisco, Atlanta), Canada (Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church, Kitchener), England (Dormition Cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church, London) and other countries of the world.

Relics of St. John the Wonderworker Parish (Atlanta, USA), canonized in 1994. First church in the world named after him, the priest is presenting the relics in this wonderful church:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,069 Times in 1,929 Posts

Thank God for the Orthodox Church
The fabric of the Body of Christ is better for it
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Thank God for the Orthodox Church
The fabric of the Body of Christ is better for it
Thank you John. Appreciated. You can certainly visit our churches in America/Canada (or even the monasteries) and find only cleanliness both spiritual and human as well. You will find good food at the end of the service and you will find peace of the Lord in our liturgies. Sometime a soul just needs the peace of the Lord but it is not easy to find it. In the Orthodox churches you will find this Peace and if there is also a relic there you will feel it when you are near it even more.
The Following User Says Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 6,069 Times in 1,929 Posts

Will do...........
I am determined to fellowship with as many members of the Body of Christ as possible
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Will do...........
I am determined to fellowship with as many members of the Body of Christ as possible
Good thought.

Also a definitive "guide" of relics (Catholic relics in this case) here:

The Following User Says Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM

I'm not a believer. I just want to mention Jay Dyer's name. He's an Orthodox Christian...probably the most well-read man I've had the pleasure of meeting.

I've never seen him do anything but commit small-scale genocide in religious debates. Brilliant guy if you're interested in the more intellectual stuff/historicity of the Church. He's all over Youtube.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwoke View Post
I'm not a believer. I just want to mention Jay Dyer's name. He's an Orthodox Christian...probably the most well-read man I've had the pleasure of meeting.

I've never seen him do anything but commit small-scale genocide in religious debates. Brilliant guy if you're interested in the more intellectual stuff/historicity of the Church. He's all over Youtube.
Looks interesting.

What subjects impressed on you from Orthodox Theology as per what Jay Dyer discussed?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwoke View Post

Not all that speak Orthodoxy are Orthodox. Beware! We have to stay in Truth. Not mimic the Truth.
Jay Dyer needs to prove himself. Rebellion against certain Orthodox hierarchies shows lack of humbleness, shows one is there to glorify himself. You can even speak the correct words but the Spirit of God might not be in you. Your acts shows more than your words. All I say is people that are new to Orthodoxy still need a lot of wisdom to understand it and to understand the mystery of the Lord.

The Lord can meet you half way but humble heart is more required than sharp mind. Saint Spyridon was a humble shepherd but to him it was given to show at the Council of Nicea the mystery of the Holy Trinity when he went against the heretical Arian Philosopher Evloghius that was dominating the debates and split a brick in the 3 elements (water, clay, fire) in his hands using the power of the Holy Spirit and rendered Evlogius and all his oratory power to nothing and Evloghius said "As long as there were disputes, I could easily speak words against words. But when, instead of words, it came out of the mouth of this old man the power and the work of wonders, nothing can be said against the power. "

Story here:

"The Hierarchs assembled at the Synod of Nicaea have clarified the teaching of the Church, namely that the Son is exalted with the Father, and so is God. In explaining this problem, an important role was played by Saint Spiridon, the bishop of the Trimitunda who, without using academic formulations or other sophisticated words, showed to all those present that God is One in being, but in Three Persons. How did he do that? First he took a brick in his left hand and told those present that, although it is a single object, it consists of three elements: earth, water and fire. Then with his right hand he made the sign of the Holy Cross, saying: "In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

After the squeezing, the brick, on the top of the bricks lit fire, the water rushed to the floor, and in the hand of the Holy Spyridon remained only clay. Following this miracle, the philosopher Evloghius, a follower of Arius, baptized and became orthodox, saying:

“As long as there were disputes, I could easily speak words against words. But when, instead of words, it came out of the mouth of this old man the power and the work of wonders, nothing can be said against the power. ""

Saint Spyridon prayed to the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, not JUST to the Father. God validated his prayer by the miracle. The Holy Trinity was adopted in unanimity by the Council as Orthodox (Correct) Teaching.

P.S. From one of comments in the video above:

Conon Iconium

"Jay Dyer has some good material but please don't mistake him for an Orthodox apologist. He is a very recent convert, and doesn't seem to understand that the best apologetic is the life one lives and is based on one's actions and spiritual disposition, not calling your opponents retards or making novel scholastic-like arguments that God can be proven from a syllogism."

Caution is required with new converts. They tend to infuse Orthodoxy with their old ideas. And those "new" ideas are wrong.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 14,071 Times in 3,313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_1978 View Post
JAY Dyer vs Erick Ybarra...JAY injects Protestant Presuppositionalism v Evidentialism into Orth/Cath - YouTube

Not all that speak Orthodoxy are Orthodox. Beware! We have to stay in Truth. Not mimic the Truth.
Jay Dyer needs to prove himself. ...
I watched parts of a few of Jay Dyer's videos and felt like there was something not quite right about him. On the surface he sounds good, but I think that he is NOT an Orthodox Christian. He expounds on topics supposedly defending the Orthodox position, but I get a bad feeling about him.

I'm not as smart as most people here and can't expound on presuppositonalsim or evidentialism. But, I was raised from birth in the Russian Orthodox Church and I have to go with my gut that something is amiss with this Jay Dyer guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 10:17 AM
Hunter

Thank you Watchingtheweasels for this video:

Holy Orthodoxy: The Ancient Church of Acts in the 21st Century

Old 09-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Totus tuus

Okay, I have an off the wall sort of question. I really would like to know. What is it with the beards? Seems like all Orthodox have them. Admittedly, I know few Orthodox Christians.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:35 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
Okay, I have an off the wall sort of question. I really would like to know. What is it with the beards? Seems like all Orthodox have them. Admittedly, I know few Orthodox Christians.
Only the monks. Its a monk thing, asceticism related. Higher hierarchy comes from the monasteries. Almost all the city/family priests do not have it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Hunter

Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future: An Orthodox Christian Understanding of UFOs