Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
America is under attack by an evil ideology Caseyboy General Discussion 163 12-08-2017 08:53 AM
America a Christian Nation? Ian Treloar Religious Discussion 144 03-29-2017 09:55 PM
President Trump Needs Your Support - Join ACT FOR AMERICA Now! Batko10 Political News and Discussion 4 01-30-2017 07:42 PM
It's done. (Trump is done) Crixus Political News and Discussion 1318 11-10-2016 10:21 AM

Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,815 Posts

Advertise Here

Fr Lazarus El Anthony Monk's Life (modern hermit living currently in Saint Anthony the Great cave). Worthy disciple.

Coming from Protestant family. Wonder of wonders...

Australian by birth.

Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2019, 09:50 AM
Survivor

Old 08-21-2019, 07:32 AM
Survivor

Holy Relics-Orthodox Saints.

Among many the Holy Hierarch John Archbishop of Shanghai and San Francisco, the wonderworker.

He is beloved and celebrated worldwide, with portions of his relics located in Serbia, Russia, Mount Athos, Greece (Church of Saint Anna in Katerini) Bulgaria, Romania, United States (San Francisco, Atlanta), Canada (Holy Trinity Serbian Orthodox Church, Kitchener), England (Dormition Cathedral of the Russian Orthodox Church, London) and other countries of the world.

Relics of St. John the Wonderworker Parish (Atlanta, USA), canonized in 1994. First church in the world named after him, the priest is presenting the relics in this wonderful church:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2019, 07:37 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,157 Times in 3,151 Posts

Thank God for the Orthodox Church
The fabric of the Body of Christ is better for it
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 07:42 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Thank God for the Orthodox Church
The fabric of the Body of Christ is better for it
Thank you John. Appreciated. You can certainly visit our churches in America/Canada (or even the monasteries) and find only cleanliness both spiritual and human as well. You will find good food at the end of the service and you will find peace of the Lord in our liturgies. Sometime a soul just needs the peace of the Lord but it is not easy to find it. In the Orthodox churches you will find this Peace and if there is also a relic there you will feel it when you are near it even more.
The Following User Says Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 07:46 AM
VIP Member

Thanked 10,157 Times in 3,151 Posts

Will do...........
I am determined to fellowship with as many members of the Body of Christ as possible
The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Swilling For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2019, 07:56 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Swilling View Post
Will do...........
I am determined to fellowship with as many members of the Body of Christ as possible
Good thought.

Also a definitive "guide" of relics (Catholic relics in this case) here:

Old 08-22-2019, 06:29 PM

I'm not a believer. I just want to mention Jay Dyer's name. He's an Orthodox Christian...probably the most well-read man I've had the pleasure of meeting.

I've never seen him do anything but commit small-scale genocide in religious debates. Brilliant guy if you're interested in the more intellectual stuff/historicity of the Church. He's all over Youtube.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:48 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwoke View Post
I'm not a believer. I just want to mention Jay Dyer's name. He's an Orthodox Christian...probably the most well-read man I've had the pleasure of meeting.

I've never seen him do anything but commit small-scale genocide in religious debates. Brilliant guy if you're interested in the more intellectual stuff/historicity of the Church. He's all over Youtube.
Looks interesting.

What subjects impressed on you from Orthodox Theology as per what Jay Dyer discussed?
Old 08-24-2019, 07:52 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwoke View Post

Not all that speak Orthodoxy are Orthodox. Beware! We have to stay in Truth. Not mimic the Truth.
Jay Dyer needs to prove himself. Rebellion against certain Orthodox hierarchies shows lack of humbleness, shows one is there to glorify himself. You can even speak the correct words but the Spirit of God might not be in you. Your acts shows more than your words. All I say is people that are new to Orthodoxy still need a lot of wisdom to understand it and to understand the mystery of the Lord.

The Lord can meet you half way but humble heart is more required than sharp mind. Saint Spyridon was a humble shepherd but to him it was given to show at the Council of Nicea the mystery of the Holy Trinity when he went against the heretical Arian Philosopher Evloghius that was dominating the debates and split a brick in the 3 elements (water, clay, fire) in his hands using the power of the Holy Spirit and rendered Evlogius and all his oratory power to nothing and Evloghius said "As long as there were disputes, I could easily speak words against words. But when, instead of words, it came out of the mouth of this old man the power and the work of wonders, nothing can be said against the power. "

Story here:

"The Hierarchs assembled at the Synod of Nicaea have clarified the teaching of the Church, namely that the Son is exalted with the Father, and so is God. In explaining this problem, an important role was played by Saint Spiridon, the bishop of the Trimitunda who, without using academic formulations or other sophisticated words, showed to all those present that God is One in being, but in Three Persons. How did he do that? First he took a brick in his left hand and told those present that, although it is a single object, it consists of three elements: earth, water and fire. Then with his right hand he made the sign of the Holy Cross, saying: "In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit."

After the squeezing, the brick, on the top of the bricks lit fire, the water rushed to the floor, and in the hand of the Holy Spyridon remained only clay. Following this miracle, the philosopher Evloghius, a follower of Arius, baptized and became orthodox, saying:

“As long as there were disputes, I could easily speak words against words. But when, instead of words, it came out of the mouth of this old man the power and the work of wonders, nothing can be said against the power. ""

Saint Spyridon prayed to the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, not JUST to the Father. God validated his prayer by the miracle. The Holy Trinity was adopted in unanimity by the Council as Orthodox (Correct) Teaching.

P.S. From one of comments in the video above:

Conon Iconium

"Jay Dyer has some good material but please don't mistake him for an Orthodox apologist. He is a very recent convert, and doesn't seem to understand that the best apologetic is the life one lives and is based on one's actions and spiritual disposition, not calling your opponents retards or making novel scholastic-like arguments that God can be proven from a syllogism."

Caution is required with new converts. They tend to infuse Orthodoxy with their old ideas. And those "new" ideas are wrong.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:38 AM
Survivor

Thanked 17,340 Times in 4,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat_1978 View Post
JAY Dyer vs Erick Ybarra...JAY injects Protestant Presuppositionalism v Evidentialism into Orth/Cath - YouTube

Not all that speak Orthodoxy are Orthodox. Beware! We have to stay in Truth. Not mimic the Truth.
Jay Dyer needs to prove himself. ...
I watched parts of a few of Jay Dyer's videos and felt like there was something not quite right about him. On the surface he sounds good, but I think that he is NOT an Orthodox Christian. He expounds on topics supposedly defending the Orthodox position, but I get a bad feeling about him.

I'm not as smart as most people here and can't expound on presuppositonalsim or evidentialism. But, I was raised from birth in the Russian Orthodox Church and I have to go with my gut that something is amiss with this Jay Dyer guy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Batko10 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 10:17 AM
Survivor

Thank you Watchingtheweasels for this video:

Holy Orthodoxy: The Ancient Church of Acts in the 21st Century

Old 09-06-2019, 07:13 PM
Totus tuus

Thanked 1,115 Times in 516 Posts

Okay, I have an off the wall sort of question. I really would like to know. What is it with the beards? Seems like all Orthodox have them. Admittedly, I know few Orthodox Christians.
Old 09-06-2019, 09:35 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticus View Post
Okay, I have an off the wall sort of question. I really would like to know. What is it with the beards? Seems like all Orthodox have them. Admittedly, I know few Orthodox Christians.
Only the monks. Its a monk thing, asceticism related. Higher hierarchy comes from the monasteries. Almost all the city/family priests do not have it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Survivor

Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future: An Orthodox Christian Understanding of UFOs

Old 09-17-2019, 03:53 AM
Survivor

Thanked 16,794 Times in 5,315 Posts

Orthodoxy, Protestantism, and Salvation
https://blairmulholland.wordpress.co...and-salvation/

"... Orthodox believe that salvation is a process of theosis – becoming more like Christ, becoming God’s image (or icon, if you like), becoming who God originally intended us to be before the Fall. This occurs through the Holy Spirit, by the grace of God, through the faith He has given us. But God requires our co-operation and our ongoing vigilance in these matters. We do not pass from death to life intellectually, or in our spirit, at a fixed point in this life – there is no Billy Graham moment where we make a “decision for Christ” and we are “saved” from that point forward. It is true that God knows our hearts, and that, like the thief on the Cross next to Jesus, we can live a deeply sinful life, and yet appeal for Him to remember us in His Kingdom at the last and be saved. But for most of us, the decision to repent and follow does not represent the end of our earthly lives, but represents the first step of the journey into Life. We are saved by faith alone, as Paul tells us, but it is ongoing faith that must be committed to with mind, body, soul and spirit, on a daily basis. And as James the Just tells us, faith that is not shown by deeds is dead, and cannot save us.

In this view, salvation is not just a ticket to heaven for our soul and spirit at the end of our lives. It is a gradual renewal of our whole being on a daily basis as we live out this life, and pass on to the next. And this renewal must be sought on an ongoing basis, through physically living out our faith... "

Worth a read. Transactional altar call religion is one of the main reasons why the church in the west is in such trouble.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchingtheweasels View Post
Orthodoxy, Protestantism, and Salvation
https://blairmulholland.wordpress.co...and-salvation/
Great post in that blog. I see more and more Protestants are willing to go over the view that was instill in them in the last few centuries and make the effort to understand the errors in that view. Think of this:

Heresies appeared in the Church from the beginning, some even taking almost the whole Church with them but only for a brief time (Arius). However since the Great Schism the West changed not only its theology but practices structure, thought structure and even much more in their soul and the relationship between their soul (the emotions are part of the spirit, but do not sum up the soul because there is much more into it) and their spirit (the mind is part of the spirit but do not sum up the spirit because there is much more into it) exaggerating the emotion of the Passions of Christ and requiring discipline and order beyond the natural freedom of man. That is why we see Orders in the Monasticism in the West that become political in nature while in the East the monks are free of political interference from the Church and there is no Orders that can compete or be used against each other. That is why Scholasticism was put on foreground and even in place of the good balanced theology of the Fathers of the Church that defended the Church for a 1000 years from exaggeration or heresies, in an intelligent and graceful way.

While the Church in the West went on an emotional path related to the Passions of Christ and gave a lot of heart (and even flagellation) to our role in angering God because of our sins, the East marched on theosis and what can we do about our lives to become more Christ like, to renounce sins in a organised manner through discipline and hope. The counter current to so much spiritual self-flagellation in the West was the exaggerated hope of the Protestant theology saying something like "Stop crying for your sins and take happiness in the fact that you are already saved. Act as if you are already saved because you are.". That is the error that comes from Protestantism but we see this error is an effect of the error to exaggerate the Passions of the Christ.

In Orthodoxy all events described in the Bible, from Genesis until the Resurrection of Christ and even the first events showing the facts of the early Church are equally important, they are part of ONE BIG STORY, ONE BIG VISION (the Plan of Salvation from God) and they cannot be taken separately and exaggerate one part against another. Sure Christ came and died for us and saved us but that was already promised and to doubt God's promised will show one is weak in faith. If one should start to see Salvation everywhere and be very happy about it then please start in the Garden of Eden and take heart God promised Salvation that will come through the seed of the Woman. My heart rejoices when I read that promise because that was already a plan in motion from the moment God spoke about it. Second thing He did is to make and put clothes on them. That shows love.

To take the Passion of Christ and cry about them more than to be happy about the entire plan shows lack of understanding of the Plan of Salvation. The Passions are contained in the same promise to Eve and the victory of the Seed against the Devil is shown there as well. So the Orthodox take the Promise as a whole deal and they are mindful about the fact that all these are stages to bring us the chance that is contained in this promise, the chance to change our lives and become what God intended for Adam and Eve to be before they were tempted. Jesus was also tempted by the Devil/Serpent and He shows us how to defeat the Serpent, with what heart to defend ourselves from His temptation, so that we go beyond and above what Eve did. This is theosis. Becoming what Adam and Eve should have been by using the Plan of Salvation as guide through out our lives.

This is beautiful theology that does not infringe our liberties or force us in a state of sadness, or requiring us to DO DEEDS. we just have to become the new Adam, full of Hope and Love in our heart but also aware of our weaknesses and the continual need for the Grace of God in our life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cat_1978 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2019, 08:39 AM
Survivor

Absolutely right Cat. This was the reason for my contribution to the "sum up the gospel in one sentence" thread that read...

""For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous."
Romans 5:19

There was a time in my life that I would have reflexively answered John 3:16...and its not wrong, really, just too limiting. It distills Jesus work down to that one day on Calvary and minimizes the rest of his ministry. It is the difference between the fullness of faith I have found and a strictly contractual faith."

Everything He did mattered to show us the way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Survivor

https://youtu.be/nB1zh0sZiCc

St. Paisios discusses the end times.
The Following User Says Thank You to Watchingtheweasels For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 08:48 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchingtheweasels View Post
https://youtu.be/nB1zh0sZiCc

St. Paisios discusses the end times.
All true. It's trembling to see how far we are from God, us now, in the modern times than our ancestors. So much changed and not for the better.

About the End Times I noticed that about 300 years ago there was a multitude of events specifically in the field of inventions or science. This was possible because many people started to inquire things that are outside religion or to support scientific development for practical matters, they wanted to become wealthy or some even famous. This was possible because there was a Spirit of the World that was let loose on Earth more than at any time in our history.

I know God let this Spirit of the World loose in order for the End Times to be prepared. Nothing gets done without God's approval so this Spirit of the World was let loose in the hearts of many 300 years ago, gradual but fast enough. All the discoveries that were made or put to good use for humanity made life safer and easier to live on a material spectrum but harder on a spiritual spectrum. Along with this Spirit of the World God also put more intelligence into people or to say it correctly He gave them more "ideas" than what they had before. This plus their willingness to forget religious duties and to give themselves to these ideas, to input all their energy into these material ideas (inventions, creation of wealth, large companies, etc) made the recipe for urban development and population increase. What were before small static cities or villages suddenly started horizontal development and later on even vertical development until we got to huge cities both on the horizontal and the vertical lines.

This was done so that people will go after their own heart and forget God. God decided that it is time to test us. And tested we were and still are more now than ever. The wars increased in scope and ferocity. The cruelty among us grew to insane levels and today we see the level of laziness and faith in anything else BUT God increased to historical levels. These are so that the End Times be prepared for us. It is no different than what happened before the Great Flood, when God let the people go after their own hearts so they will drown in their own sins before drowning in the waters.

I am afraid that there is no going back to a life of harmony with large families and good relations between the majority of people and with God. The holiness is leaving us and there are no efforts form us to get it back. I am almost sure the End Times are closer than we think. All there is do be done is some great event that will lead to great destruction of civilization. The same civilization that forgets about God so that it can to glorify itself.