Replanted 2018 Spring Garden - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring 2018 MidWest Get Together - Venue Change and Classes gallard Events, Connections and Get togethers 4 10-19-2018 09:00 PM
2018 Spring Chicks kev Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 52 06-16-2018 09:16 PM
How To Pick Seed Potatoes For Your Spring Garden AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 1 02-23-2018 02:57 PM
2018 garden plans Longhunter89 Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 20 01-20-2018 01:09 AM
Spring in my low labor, handicapped friendly garden Kansas Terri Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 03-23-2017 05:46 AM

Old 04-28-2018, 07:38 AM
Forum Administrator

Thanked 39,232 Times in 7,835 Posts
Default Replanted 2018 Spring Garden

Advertise Here

I decided to go ahead and replant the 2018 spring garden. Something is wrong where I planted the first garden, as nothing is growing. I suspect the soil is too alkaline, but I need a soil test to prove/disprove the theory.

Other threads on this topic:

Transplanting pepper plants?
I think I Made a Mistake With The 2018 Garden

Part of the 2018 garden was supposed to be organic with only chicken manure and potash as fertilizer. Since I am running a month behind I decided to go ahead and use 13-13-13 on the garden, except where some pepper plants are at.

I left a piece of the garden maybe six feet long which only uses chicken manure tilled into the soil as fertilizer. Then I planted peppers in that spot.

Two rows were tilled up:

Contender snap beans and squash planted in one row.

Other row is peppers, zucchini and contender snap beans.

This is very disappointing to be a month behind on this years garden. The only thing I can do is move forward.

Okra will be going in the ground in the next couple of weeks.
The Following User Says Thank You to kev For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2018, 05:27 PM
GO Dawgs

Thanked 1,404 Times in 683 Posts

I am just now putting in my garden,it has been unusually cold and rainy this spring. I am 2-3 weeks behind but it will catch up.
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-28-2018, 06:51 PM
Prepared

if this is the garden you tilled in the chicken poo, now you know why you need to plow it under, way to hot on the surface.
The Following User Says Thank You to rancher1913 For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2018, 10:20 AM
gard'ner

The important thing to remember about a long growing season... plenty of time to plant...
I was out planting tomato SEEDS! today!

I dug all the volunteer tomatoes just before the last frost (March)... replanted them after... caged them last week... but in the long southern summers, tomatoes play out with months of heat left... so... we learn to stagger our plantings...

so... I plant corn each month through august... and beans...

tomatoes... usually just need the seeds planted at the same time that we set out the starts... that usually gets me through till frost... peppers? last year, I planted bells and ghost pepper seeds in May, and they did fine. I still have ghost pepper plants going from last year, dug them up and brought them in the house over the winter... covered in blooms, now.

The thing about organic...

We don't give up and put out chemicals in the organic garden... NO MATTER WHAT!

interesting garden you have... rows through the pasture grasses.
Any idea what grasses you have growing there between the rows?

Looks like north-south rows... going by the lack of morning sunlight that you are getting.

At my house, I got so tired of all that morning shade that I've started a vicious campaign of cutting limbs... and trees...
the A.M. sunlight is the most important sunlight of the entire day...
I run my garden length east-west, to get as much daylight to the veggies as I can.