What's For DINNER? - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's for dinner? Chrysalis Health, Fitness and First Aid 30 01-29-2018 04:12 PM
Nine item menu for dinner/supper... What's for dinner tonight? caridad Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 5 11-10-2016 11:38 AM
Hey Men What's For Dinner? Denny367 Manmade and Natural Disasters 78 12-04-2012 02:10 AM
Dinner comes to me Big Eye Hunting and Trapping General Discussion 11 07-30-2010 07:16 PM
Dinner Is In The Jar Urban Homesteader Book Reviews 12 07-12-2010 10:54 PM
Last dinner JAYBUG70 General Discussion 9 06-05-2010 12:22 PM

Old 02-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Prepared

Advertise Here

We had a real thick and hearty venison stew and home made biscuits.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to robin48 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadon44s View Post
Chili in a roasted garlic bread bowl.
I really like this menu.

The Following User Says Thank You to handgun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 05:37 AM
Hiker

Thanked 1,178 Times in 403 Posts

Today's menu is:
-------------------------
Breakfast:
1 Glass of Soy Milk (sweetened), tastes way better than milk, sweeter too.
1 Can of mackerel in tomato puree.
2 Perry fruits.

Dinner:
Beans seasoned with my special spice mix, and lightly cooked vegetables, here's the recipe:

1 BOX of pre-cooked beans (equal to canned, except we don't use canned beans anymore due to the high Bisphenol A (poison to us) content).
5 broccoli heads (small)
5 cauliflower heads (small)
1 cup of peas
1 cup of sliced carrots
2 cups of haricot verts
1 Broth cube (usually chicken broth, but vegetable or fish broth will do just fine)
1 cup of corn

Seasoning/Spices: (very little of each, season by tasting...everyone have different tolerance levels for spices):

- Cumin
- Garlic powder (or essence)
- Tarragon (awesome taste!)
- Curry (use a LOT more than the above spices)
- White pepper (powder)
- Black pepper
(notice the absence of sodium/salt...you'll find natural salt in the pre-cooked been packages and chicken broth).

Instructions:
Pour the beans into a large frying pan, and turn up the heat all the way.
Mix in the Broth right away.
Also mix with curry, cumin and garlic powder right away. Stir until the mix starts to sizzle and bubble.
Now turn the heat all the way down to the lowest setting, and put on a glass-cover.

Cook the vegetables, start with cold water...this actually works best with frozen vegetables as you don't need to prepare them and they're already sliced up neatly into the right proportions. Again, heat quickly...once it's near boiling....(you can see activity in the water), turn it all the way down to the lowest setting...DON'T SEASON YET...this part is VITAL for the taste.

The timing of the vegetables is the hardest part of all, if you're new to this - you're most likely overcooking the vegetables and you'll end up losing most of it's wonderful taste & crunchiness. A good way to spot if you overcooked it...is if the water you pour out...turns green. if it's totally clear...you undercooked it, if it is barely green - and you can feel the crunch in one of your carrot slices (not too crunchy and not too soft)...then you've done it PERFECTLY right. Pour out the water.

Put it back on the stove again, shake gently...and get rid of some of the moisture, shake and shake so the vegetables doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the casserole.

Now pour all the vegetables onto a big dinner plate and season with Tarragon (don't be stingy, use a lot), keep spicing it up with a little garlic powder, a fair amount of white pepper powder, and add some black pepper to make it sting a bit. No salt is needed as it already exist in the bean mix + broth.

When seasoned evenly, pour the bean mix directly onto the vegetables, try to spread the natural bean sauce and beans evenly across the entire dinner plate.

Serve with a cup of Green tea (no additives, no sugar, no sugar substitutes, just strong green tea).
Enjoy!

Afternoon:
In the afternoon, I enjoy some healthy popcorn snacks, I use the old fashioned methods as MicroWave popcorn isn't THAT good for any of us. Most of you, know how to make that - so just take a look at youtube for the best old fashioned popcorn methods. I have both Peanut Oils and Olive Oils for the purpose, now....Peanut oil has a high boiling point and makes popping popcorn easy...but Olive Oil make the popcorns simply fantastic, crispy, healthy and you don't get any oil on your fingers - despite using quite a lot of it. But beware, Popcorn is notoriously difficult to pop with Olive Oil as the oil...when heated properly...will do the DANGEROUS Oil-Dance in your pots and pans...so use a protective cover, with a little opening...so your popcorn doesn't become sticky and moist.

With the Popcorn, I use organic California Raisins, a handful is enough as these are HIGH in sugar content.

As well as a glass of Sweetened Soy Milk.

Well...you did ask....
The Following User Says Thank You to The Burbanite For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 05:46 PM
Survivor

Thanked 23,169 Times in 9,066 Posts

Last night's dinner ended up to be home canned spaghetti, broccoli, salad and sourdough bread. It is handy having home canned when given 15 minutes notice that we will be having six more for dinner, lol.

Monday night is sandwich night, so probably French dip using sliced leftover steak.
The Following User Says Thank You to NCalHippie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,863 Times in 1,178 Posts

Brinner tonight. French toast stuffed with cream cheese and strawberries.
The Following User Says Thank You to gearheadon44s For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 06:04 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadon44s View Post
Brinner tonight. French toast stuffed with cream cheese and strawberries.
Sounds yummy, but I would have to have some extra protein with it. Maybe a side of bacon would do it for me, lol.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:59 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruble Noon View Post
I made ham & beans for supper also, used one of my DAk hams. Not bad. Cornbread was another story though. My mix was 5 years old. Tasted fine but it didn't rise at all, ending up about a half inch thick.
Next time, you might want to add a bit of fresh baking powder, I hate when that happens.
Old 02-11-2014, 06:03 PM
Survivor

Tonight is taco casserole using up some leftovers. Still trying to come up with a vegetable to go with it, maybe spicy baked cauliflower and a salad.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:25 AM

Arrow What's For DINNER?

I didn't see this thread posted so I thought perhaps I could start one, but if it does exist, please let me know.

Don't know about you all, but I'm running out of ideas for dinner, and I'm bored with the typical "go to" meals.

Suggestions?

Also, I love cooking with my preps, so perhaps we can include prep meal ideas too?

Please share!
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to wyopride For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 10:30 AM
This is a great survival forum

Thanked 64,219 Times in 15,110 Posts

Uhm.... home made pizza (I prefer a thin crust) topped with pepperoni, Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions and peppers.

Grilled pork loin and baked potato casserole (had that the other night).

Tonight I'm going to make baked cod in a parmesean sauce, home made cole slaw, and french fries.

I use a lot of my preps in meals, because a lot of my preps are home grown or home canned stuff. Example of the pizza, I buy flour in bulk, grow tomatoes and herbs for sauce, and the italian sausage is mostly venison I shot with some pork shoulder ground in so it's mostly home made.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:44 AM
Indefatigable

Thanked 41,744 Times in 12,913 Posts

We have these threads pop up from time to time, I like them, I get tired of my own ideas and it's nice to hear some new menu suggestions. Here's what's for dinner tonight:

Jamaican coleslaw - just like regular but replace the dressing with 1000 island and add hot sauce to taste
Jerked pork sandwiches
Oven baked sweet potato fries
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Contingency Planner

If you have steak (or any meat really), real butter, and a little red wine, the possibilities are endless! Any good meal begins with meat..least ways, that's how I was raised.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Defilade For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:06 AM
Gangster of Love

Goulash.
Ten characters.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dwb.usa For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:20 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,803 Times in 661 Posts

A pork loin in the crock pot in the morning, dinner at night. Vary the sides and you can have just about any meal you want. Pull the pork apart and have sloppy joes with french fries. Slice it and have mashed potatoes and green beans or grilled asparagas. Use your imagination and make tacos with grilled onions and rice and beans.

Bold shows some prep items on hand. You can improvise with the pork loin and create a nice gumbo and serve over rice. Substitute pot roast for meat with pasta noodles, or even chicken breasts. Crock pot cooking is super simple. You can even put chicken breast, rice, and a cream soup in there and have a meal ready when you get home. These are just basics, add any number of sides for a complete meal. Fresh bread with butter is always a treat you can add to any of these dishes for real comfort food.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Tdog02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:31 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 39,761 Times in 10,661 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdog02 View Post
A pork loin in the crock pot in the morning, dinner at night. Vary the sides and you can have just about any meal you want. Pull the pork apart and have sloppy joes with french fries. Slice it and have mashed potatoes and green beans or grilled asparagas. Use your imagination and make tacos with grilled onions and rice and beans.
Put a package of Italian dressing mix, a jar of Pepproncini and a beer in the crock pot with the pork loin. Very good stuff.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Zomby Woof

Thanked 39,761 Times in 10,661 Posts

Had this about a week ago, and it made the permanent go-to list.
http://www.foodgeeks.com/recipes/tor...n-lasagne-6293
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SkullyWV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 11:42 AM
Ephemerally here

Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,739 Posts

Madras Lentils, with Brown Rice, then added Pace Picante Salsa. Fruit and Cheese plate for Dessert.

A nice Red Wine with the meal, then a Crisp Chardonnay with Dessert.

We'll be in good Spirits thereafter.
The Following User Says Thank You to HandLoad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 12:31 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,354 Times in 1,084 Posts

We had hillbilly goulash last night. Hamburger, sausage, rice, shredded cabbage, tomato sauce and herbs to taste. We were all out yesterday so mother in law made a BIG pot for everyone on the farm.

Ranch pork and potatoes, meatloaf (oh the MANY recipes), pizza, steaks, soups. If you're looking for something specific, pm me, I have thousands of recipes.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to catlady12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2014, 12:36 PM
I love this forum

Hey Grandpa, What's for Supper? Here's what's on the menu tonight:
Venison rolls with onions an' taters, with a good bowl of okra and t'maters, and a homemade light bread a-golden brown, and the strongest coffee there is around.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:39 PM
NC Native

Thanked 1,104 Times in 451 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyopride View Post
Also, I love cooking with my preps, so perhaps we can include prep meal ideas too?
Well, I see wifey has a ham in the refrigerator, so maybe that's dinner. Though I wouldn't mind a meatload.

Good idea about sharing prep ideas...We haven't eaten any of our Augason Farms stuff...maybe we should.