Buying old Civil Defense Geiger counters? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 08-15-2019, 07:17 AM

Default Buying old Civil Defense Geiger counters?

Advertise Here

I recently learned that old Civil Defense geiger counters are being sold online--and that some of them actually work.

I don't have a need for a geiger counter (my preparations are oriented toward natural disasters), but I have to admit a nostalgic interest in stuff like this and it would look pretty good on a shelf with some of my other old stuff.

I notice that when you buy one of these, there's no guarantee it'll work... meaning for the same price, you could get a functional one or a broken one.

If I have to pay the same price, I'd definitely want a working one.

Has anyone bought one from one of these eBay sellers? What's the likelihood of getting something ornamental over functional?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Troglodad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 07:49 AM
Solo Adventurer

Thanks for this. I am going to look into it.
Old 08-15-2019, 10:42 AM
Para Bellum

Thanked 7,050 Times in 2,275 Posts

I've bought a few on ebay, they all worked.
You can get them calibrated as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to TraderBob For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2019, 12:43 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Thanked 4,005 Times in 1,603 Posts

You have to read the item descriptions, some say working, some say for parts, etc. The CD-V700s, are the only ones that are actually Geiger counters, and they are the only ones that will read anything less than post-nuclear war fallout. So I would stick to those. There is a sticky at the top of this sub forum that covers these devices in greater detail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 02:03 PM
French Prometheus unbound

Thanked 64,004 Times in 19,698 Posts

If you actually want a working device, why not buy a new modern one?

Technology has improved slightly I would think.
Old 08-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,817 Times in 2,545 Posts

You also may want to look into dosimeters, those might be more useful for you. I bought some NOS civil defense geiger counters, dosimeters, alarms, etc. back in the early 2000's along with M17 & Israeli gas masks along with good filters. I chose the M17 cause that is what I used when I was in the military & as the military had switched to a newer model the were also quite affordable. The Israeli ones were also affordable, easy to use & came in childrens sizes, which I needed as my kids were still small back then.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 02:13 PM
Limited Tolerance Member

Thanked 7,817 Times in 2,545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme11 View Post
If you actually want a working device, why not by a new modern one?

Technology has improved slightly I would think.
Radiation is either present or it's not. Newer ones might have better recording features & be slightly more accurate/sensitive, but they also tend to be less robust, especially if you are person that worries about an EMP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckleberry For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 03:52 PM
VIP Member

you might try looking at this site...
http://www.ki4u.com/index.html

I sent my survey meter there for calibration.
they also service meters and sell them.
the old cd units are robust, but should be checked out and upgraded with some new parts where required
Old 08-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,792 Times in 533 Posts

I bought mine and the dosimeter kit both off of Ebay and they were as best I could tell brand new and had been calibrated with in three years from my purchase date I think I have less than 50 dollars in both
The Following User Says Thank You to ncwebnut For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 05:04 PM
Para Bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by solar1 View Post
you might try looking at this site...
http://www.ki4u.com/index.html

I sent my survey meter there for calibration.
they also service meters and sell them.
the old cd units are robust, but should be checked out and upgraded with some new parts where required
Yep, that's who calibrated mine. Great people
Old 08-15-2019, 09:16 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckleberry View Post
Radiation is either present or it's not. Newer ones might have better recording features & be slightly more accurate/sensitive, but they also tend to be less robust, especially if you are person that worries about an EMP.

Not exactly. I think youíre conflating contamination and exposure. When it comes to screening for contamination, yes, sometimes itís enough to know itís there or to know a rough proportion. But when it comes to exposure and stay times, knowing how much is there is critical.
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2019, 11:36 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,812 Times in 901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderBob View Post
Yep, that's who calibrated mine. Great people
I have a few CDV-715's that I bought of ebay and they all worked. Sent one off to ki4u for calibration.

The others are for nostalgia. They make a great conversation piece.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:44 AM
Free-ish Man

Thanked 1,867 Times in 936 Posts

Quote:
I've bought a few on ebay, they all worked.
You can get them calibrated as well.
I'm far from an expert on radiation or nuclear anything. How do you know that they work? Can't imagine there's a way to test them at home. I assume if you got one that didn't work the calibration place would just tell you when they test it? Do you have a link to a place that calibrates them?
Old 08-16-2019, 11:09 AM
Para Bellum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK View Post
I'm far from an expert on radiation or nuclear anything. How do you know that they work? Can't imagine there's a way to test them at home. I assume if you got one that didn't work the calibration place would just tell you when they test it? Do you have a link to a place that calibrates them?
radmeters4u.com

You can get cesium 137 and other low level radiation sources to test with. I happen to have some.

You can buy it at unitednuclear.com, perkinelmer.com, a3bs.com...it's everywhere, and cheap if you want to test several items.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:35 PM
Formerly WIMountainMan

Quote:
radmeters4u.com

You can get cesium 137 and other low level radiation sources to test with. I happen to have some.

You can buy it at unitednuclear.com, perkinelmer.com, a3bs.com...it's everywhere, and cheap if you want to test several items.
It takes a pretty significant source to get any response from a CD-V715 or 717. Usually the unlicensed sources aren't enough. That's one of the reasons I don't recommend them.

There's a bunch of info in this stickied thread:https://www.survivalistboards.com/sh...d.php?t=403307
Old 08-17-2019, 11:41 AM
Hiker

I would look at an ADM-300 instead even calibrated there is no guarantee since there is no built in self test like on the ADM and it replaces both CDV models in one unit with dosimeter function built in as well.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:09 AM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsapo View Post
I would look at an ADM-300 instead even calibrated there is no guarantee since there is no built in self test like on the ADM and it replaces both CDV models in one unit with dosimeter function built in as well.
What built in self test? Prior to each use of an ADM you have to attach each probe and scan the appropriate source from the E Kit.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 08-22-2019, 07:07 PM
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!

Thanked 39,918 Times in 9,546 Posts

Some of those old CD monitors have a source under a foil label on the side

If you'll read the instructions, it's easy to check for calibration

Realize that after all these years and depending on when your monitor was issued, the source may have reached it's half life and may not put off enough radiation to check calibration. There is a scale to use in the instruction manual

Most of the monitors have an analog meter and it's not actually a Geiger counter until you have the head phones on! (hint....Geiger counters click)

Also realize some of them only detect gamma rays, others only do alpha and beta. Doesn't hurt to do some googling to figure out which one you want!

The Following User Says Thank You to ManyFeathers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 06:57 PM
American by Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
What built in self test?
Some detectors, like the V-715 and V-717 have a self-test position on the switch. Basically it's just a simple test of the electronics to make sure there aren't any burned out resistors, dried out capacitors, or anything like that. It's not a guarantee it's accurate, just that there aren't any gross electrical faults with the stuff on the circuit board inside.

If it fails a circuit test, if you have a soldering iron, multi-meter and basic skill with electronics they're made to be easily repaired. The included 715 and 717 manuals have a parts schematic and you can test each of the items on the circuit board with the multi-meter, then de-solder and replace anything that's gone bad.

On the models I listed above, the gauge and detector tube and purpose-built for these detectors, but the rest of the parts on the circuit board can be bought at any store that sells basic circuit board components.

I'm no expert though, and I'd suggest you rely on the advice of an expert before buying one, or especially relying on one for your safety. CONELRAD linked a sticky post with much better and more complete information than I've posted here.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:08 PM
Trapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBI View Post
Some detectors, like the V-715 and V-717 have a self-test position on the switch. Basically it's just a simple test of the electronics to make sure there aren't any burned out resistors, dried out capacitors, or anything like that. It's not a guarantee it's accurate, just that there aren't any gross electrical faults with the stuff on the circuit board inside.

If it fails a circuit test, if you have a soldering iron, multi-meter and basic skill with electronics they're made to be easily repaired. The included 715 and 717 manuals have a parts schematic and you can test each of the items on the circuit board with the multi-meter, then de-solder and replace anything that's gone bad.

On the models I listed above, the gauge and detector tube and purpose-built for these detectors, but the rest of the parts on the circuit board can be bought at any store that sells basic circuit board components.

I'm no expert though, and I'd suggest you rely on the advice of an expert before buying one, or especially relying on one for your safety. CONELRAD linked a sticky post with much better and more complete information than I've posted here.
I was referring to the ADM309.

We had the CDV kits for our shelter program when I was in California and Nebraska. Had to conduct operations checks on them monthly.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk