FarmerChads GreenHouse/Market Garden - Page 67 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading, blacksmithing and living off the grid.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weedinhoe's 2018-2019 Garden Weedinhoe Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 1238 09-13-2019 11:04 AM
Southeast Michigan, Pond's Edge Homestead & Garden 2014 - 2019 inMichigan Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 809 07-29-2019 03:25 PM
2017 Resolutions for Preppers kev Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 34 05-09-2017 10:56 AM
2017 Midwest Seed Swaps & Seed Libraries PondEdge Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 8 03-02-2017 11:33 AM
Mountain Valley Canned Garden Seeds (16 Varieties) Cope's Distribuitng Cope's Distributing 0 02-24-2017 08:45 AM

Old 07-01-2019, 11:13 AM
Market Farmer

Thanked 7,397 Times in 2,353 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

Advertise Here

Finally, some time to update and post pictures.

Here's the run down. Monday and Tuesday are days where I get caught up on chores around the property. Also, recipe development on those days. Sometimes I will try something new, or revisit an old recipe that just didn't work. Right now I have on the kitchen counter, Pretzel Bun Dough, Honey Wheat Bagel and Blueberry Lemon Bagel Doughs. They are rising as I type.

Wednesday I begin the starters for the Italian Breads. I also, when possible, get the Bagels started. If I need to make a couple extra batches of Bagels on Thursday, that's ok. But I prefer to take care of the bulk on Wednesday, usually in the late afternoon or evening.

Thursday I bake all the Italian Breads. While those are baking, I do another round of starter for Friday's bread. I have to be finished by about 2 PM. I load up and head to the Farmers Market. I'm back out at the new Thrusday Market. The one in the Richie Rich neighborhood. That Market runs 4-8 PM. Setup at 3.

Friday is a long baking day. Bagels and Italian breads for the Saturday Market. I do the bagels first, earlier in the day. The loaves of bread I bake in the evening. I usually finish up around midnight. I want them to be as fresh as possible for the Saturday Customers.

Saturday afternoon I start another batch of starter. I also put together some pastry dough for fruit tarts.

Sunday morning, I bake the fruit tarts, italian breads, and a couple pans of bagels. Then head to that Market. I'm considering baking the Tarts late Saturday night. They hold for a couple days without issue. The Sunday Market is the only Market I make the tarts for. I might change that up a bit, we will see.

Usually by Sunday evening I feel about dead.

And now, some pictures, for fun.

Italian Loaves. The real magic is the pans themselves. They keep the bottom of the loaf round. They have hundreds of little holes that allow the bottom to crispen up a bit. These pans are fantastic for sandwich buns as well.

If your interested, these pans came from Amazon. $25 each, but totally worth it.

Oven fresh. These loaves are brushed with oil before and after their trip thru the oven.

These are the round loaves. Not much more to say. I switch back and forth between parchment paper and silicone baking mats. I like them both.

Lemon Tarts. So dang tasty. Everything really changed when I switched these over to pastry flour. The tenderness of the crumb is sublime. The dough has heavy cream, and lots of butter. Lots.

Here's how I buy my flour. 50 pound sacks from a wholesale supplier. This particular one is for the bagels only. Has around 14% protein. Gives the bagels a real chew. Each bread product has its own flour that I use. Each flour has certain properties that really affect the final product. Currently I go thru about 100 pounds a week. I store flour in 5 gallon buckets with the screw on gamma seal lid.

Everything Bagels waiting their turn for the hot box. These are my number 1 seller. Hands down.

At the Market I had to figure out a method to display the bagels, but be able to protect from insects. I have a bunch of these 8 quart restaraunt food containers. They are perfect for the job. I got the little chalk board signs from Hobby Lobby. They hook on the edge of the container.

Garden Update

I was asked about the bush beans in my tomato patch. Epic disaster was the outcome. I picked exactly no beans.

Tomatoes. Tomatoes are going well. I have been picking both types of cherry maters for the markets. I put them in clear containers. They hold around 10 ounces of tomatoes.

Other stuff is long gone. Due to heat or bugs.

That sums up the garden update.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 12:23 PM

looks wonderful - nice job. I started using those types of pans this past year for some sub sandwich loaves. they are a good buy.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KBee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Prepaired

Thanked 1,379 Times in 563 Posts

Those lemon tarts look great. If you would pm me which market those will be at.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slclarry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 08:32 AM
gardener & news junkie

Thanked 4,458 Times in 1,860 Posts

Your baked items look fantastic! And I still want an Everything bagel.
Oh, and a tart as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBee View Post
looks wonderful - nice job. I started using those types of pans this past year for some sub sandwich loaves. they are a good buy.
They really take the bread to the next level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slclarry View Post
Those lemon tarts look great. If you would pm me which market those will be at.
Not sure if your serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedinhoe View Post
Your baked items look fantastic! And I still want an Everything bagel.
Oh, and a tart as well.
Oh, I have to try my hardest to stay out of them. It's a challenge.

Something new

Looking to add sammich rolls to my offerings at the Market. Let me introduce you to these beauties. Ny Onion Rolls. They are fantastic. Chewy on the outside, pillowy on the inside. Taste light years ahead of the garbage at the grocery store. Do believe I'll be making some for the Saturday Market. I won't be attending the Thursday Market this week.Going to be out of town.

Future Project

The wife and I have been discussing a future project. It's becoming evident that my baked goods are...

1. Doing very well at the Market

2. I'm running out of kitchen space

3. Keep running into bottlenecks, which slow down my product.

We have decided to convert our 12x24 storage building into a small bakery. It's ideal. It's large enough that I won't run out of room anytime soon. Water is nearby. Electrical service is already installed.

All the stuff that is in it, will have to go into another building. We have been looking at the prefab kits. They deliver them, and setup. It would be the fastest solution. I installed electricity a couple years back to the current building. Would just need to finish the interior walls, floor, and install plumbing.

This project isn't something that will happen next week or anything. But hopefully this year.

More to come.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2019, 08:46 PM
gardener & news junkie

DROOLING over the onion rolls! Out of curiosity, which flour are you using for those?

I was wondering when you'd finally run out of kitchen space. It sounds like a good move into that out building. Elbow room! A few questions... Are you going to have to have any kind of business license, health inspection or special codes for the plumbing (sink sizes, etc)? And is it just for baking or will you move your sausage making out there too?

Geez, you're not just a farmer anymore. You're a conglomerate!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 05:53 AM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,458 Times in 1,467 Posts

Seems like every time I check in on this thread, you've added another product. No doubt, more product variety is a good thing. Are you still doing the sausages and cheeses as well?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
DROOLING over the onion rolls! Out of curiosity, which flour are you using for those?
They are mighty tasty. I ended up eating 3 yesterday.

Oddly enough, I'm using the hi-gluten bagel flour. That's what the NY Baker said to use. You would think they would be horribly tough and chewy, but that's not the case. Not in the least.

Quote:
I was wondering when you'd finally run out of kitchen space. It sounds like a good move into that out building. Elbow room! A few questions... Are you going to have to have any kind of business license, health inspection or special codes for the plumbing (sink sizes, etc)? And is it just for baking or will you move your sausage making out there too?
In my little rural neck of the woods, no one issues business licenses. They simply don't exist. We are "out in the county"... Health inspection not needed, curtesy of cottage laws. If anything, dept. of Ag. I would only be producing bread out there. That's it. So it's pretty lax. What peaks their interest are "high moisture" breads. Cake, pie, etc. for those they do a water activity check. I have zero interest in cake making. I do like pie, but my famous pecan pie cost to much to make and try to sell. So no pies and cakes.

Quote:
Geez, you're not just a farmer anymore. You're a conglomerate!
I learned a long time ago, variety is the key. That way when one product doesn't pan out, you still have something to sell. For example, last Friday I screwed up a batch of bread. I discovered Saturday morning while loading up that 8 loaves of bread didn't have any salt. That's right. 8 loaves of worthless bread. I royally screwed up Friday night. But, I still had 8 loaves of the other variety. Plus I had bagels. And, I had cherry tomatoes to sell. I had plenty of inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
Seems like every time I check in on this thread, you've added another product. No doubt, more product variety is a good thing. Are you still doing the sausages and cheeses as well?
Those are on hold. Sausage I prefer to make in the winter. Cold temperatures result in a better finished product when smoking meat. It just tastes better, I can't explain why.

As far as cheese, the milk changed. The last batch I made, or tried to make, didn't make cheese. It made curdled milk.

I still have people ask on a nearly weekly basis though. Right now, I don't have time to make it anyways.

Another Market?

Well, I have found out about another Market. I actually found out about it previously, but forgot about it. I was reminded the other night about it. It's on Tuesday evenings 5-8 pm. It's a potential candidate. I know several vendors who go there. Time to pick their brains about it.

More to come..
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 12:48 PM
gardener & news junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerChad View Post
...last Friday I screwed up a batch of bread. I discovered Saturday morning while loading up that 8 loaves of bread didn't have any salt. That's right. 8 loaves of worthless bread.
Hmmmm, what about cubing it up, bagging it and selling it as stuffing mix? Or selling it as "Low sodium"?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 06:16 PM
Preparing

Thanked 11,148 Times in 7,264 Posts

Bread pudding with rum sauce?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LindaLou For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2019, 06:59 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,768 Times in 2,600 Posts

Glad to see you back.

Man, where do you get the time to do all that? I'm working daylight 'til dark in the gardens and not enough time to get it all done.

Deer hitting my sweet corn pretty hard. Fish and game guy coming out this morning. On the phone he recommended one of those dancing inflatable men that you see at car dealers. I like that idea. Don't have to sit up all night to ambust the culprits.

Also noticed I misspelled ambush but I like the newly coined word better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mtnairkin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 06:33 AM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Hmmmm, what about cubing it up, bagging it and selling it as stuffing mix? Or selling it as "Low sodium"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaLou View Post
Bread pudding with rum sauce?
I was thinking along these lines, but never did embark on that. I ended up just tossing the bread into the woods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnairkin View Post
Glad to see you back.

Man, where do you get the time to do all that? I'm working daylight 'til dark in the gardens and not enough time to get it all done.

Deer hitting my sweet corn pretty hard. Fish and game guy coming out this morning. On the phone he recommended one of those dancing inflatable men that you see at car dealers. I like that idea. Don't have to sit up all night to ambust the culprits.

Also noticed I misspelled ambush but I like the newly coined word better.
Time is always an issue. When I first started seriously considering baked goods, I would time myself. Then I would figure out where bottlenecks occurred. Determined how I could improve procedures. It's still a work in progress, but I'm getting there.

Sorry to hear about the corn. The inflatable idea sounds promising. Might have to move it around periodically.
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 08:50 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Sad News..

I meant to post earlier about this, completely forgot. One of the best kitchen helpers I ever had..

Friday evening I was mixing bagel dough when it finally happened. The Heavy Duty KitchenAid Mixer bit the bullet. I was busily churning out dough when I noticed a smell. A rather pungent smell. Smoke started emitting from the mixer head, I shut it off.

The mixer was so hot, you couldn't touch it. I got the smaller KitchenAid out to finish the dough. Unfortunately the smaller mixer has about half the capacity of the larger, but it was better then nothing.

While I was baking all those bagels, my wife kindly ordered me a new mixer. I already had my eye on a particular one, she found a good deal on Amazon. Let me present to you...

The Bosch Universal Mixer. I'll admit, it looks nothing like a standard mixer. Bosch claims it can handle around 15 pounds of dough. I'm going to find out, I can promise you that. The mixer should arrive tomorrow. My hopes is that I can run a quadruple batch of bagel dough thru it. Each batch produces 6 bagels. I used to run a double in the KA. A quad would give me about 24 bagels each cycle. That would be a huge step up in production.

More to come...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 10:56 PM
gardener & news junkie

Sometimes better things come in the strangest ways.....

It was meant to be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weedinhoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 10:58 PM
No One of Consequence

Thanked 2,355 Times in 885 Posts

We have one of those Kitchen Aid mixers too. Hasn't seen much use lately, maybe that will change soon.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BrettTheOkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 09:50 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,406 Times in 550 Posts

Question for Chad, when do you sleep?!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vivisky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Sometimes better things come in the strangest ways.....

It was meant to be.
Yeah, $455 later.

Anyhow, the Heavy Duty KA is about 15 to 20 years old. I faintly remember my wife finding a good deal on it, on Black Friday one year. Its turned out a lot of product over the years. I have no idea how many hours of use is on it. The last 5 years or so, it's been rather cantankerous. A few repairs here and there. Recently I had to regrease the planetary gears. Within the last few weeks, about once a week I have had to keep readjusting the timing on the motor. For anyone curious, a KA Mixer should make 1 full revolution per second on "stir". On speed 6 it's 180 revolutions per minute, or 45 revs. In 15 seconds. To adjust those, remove the rear cap. You will see a speed controller. Top 2 screws adjust the low speed. The bottom screw adjusts the higher speeds.

I noticed last week, she no longer had much top end speed. No matter how much I adjusted it. I didn't really mind, that mixer was strictly for dough. If I needed to whip or cream ingredients, that would go in the smaller KA.

With all that being said, I think it's still fixable. I believe the "phase control board" burned up. I haven't really looked into it to much, maybe this afternoon. If it is that part, that's about $14 plus shipping. If that fixes it, I'll keep using it for the softer doughs. Those doughs I make in smaller quantities and they put no strain on the mixer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettTheOkie View Post
We have one of those Kitchen Aid mixers too. Hasn't seen much use lately, maybe that will change soon.
I assume your referring to the Heavy Duty? It's a great mixer, when it's not dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 01:32 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivisky View Post
Question for Chad, when do you sleep?!!!
It's overrated.

I get caught up the first of the week. I'll admit though, I didn't go to the Sunday Market, yesterday. Told the wife I didn't have it in me. We went out of town for the 4th. Came home on Friday, got here about 3 PM. I had to immediately start making dough. While all the dough was rising, we went out for dinner, a local fast food joint. Got home and was pretty much ready to start baking. The last batch of Onion Rolls came out of the oven at a little past 1 AM. I napped until the alarm went off at 530 AM. Loaded up and went to the Market. By the afternoon I was dragging, not going to lie.

New Market Is A Go

I got ahold of the Market Manager for the Tuesday Market. She was very interested in the bagels. It's good to have a unique product. I can't emphasize that enough. That Market runs 5-8 PM.

Good thing my new mixer is coming today. I have bagel dough to be making.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 06:19 PM
Market Farmer

Awards Showcase

New Mixer Update

So the Bosch Universal Mixer arrived at about 245 today. By 3 I was prepping for mixing. I opted for a quadruple batch of bagel dough. According to my math, converting grams to ounces and pounds, I should be under the 15 pound limit.

I'm not going to lie. I had my doubts. All those doubts were quickly erased. The Bosch kneaded the dough without too much struggle. The motor automatically slows down for heavier loads. After taking a break for dinner, the mixer just finished its 4th load of dough.

I think this mixer is a winner.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FarmerChad For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Prepaired

Thanked 1,379 Times in 563 Posts

Chad,
We don’t do the volume or frequency you’re going to but we’ve been using our Bosch for 25 years and it still works like a champ. We bought it when we lived in Salt Lake and got into bread making. The majority of our Mormon friends, who made a lot of bread, recommended it. Their advice was if you are going to make cakes the KitchenAid is fine, if you want to knead dough get a Bosch.

There’s a lot of attachments for it but the FLM roller mill attached to it gets regular use. We roll soft white wheat and use it for a breakfast cereal. Its slow but for low volume it works great.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slclarry For This Useful Post: