Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here

Old 06-21-2019, 02:31 PM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Thanked 3,459 Times in 1,468 Posts
Default Potato Chips In Heaven

Advertise Here

As I stood in my kitchen fighting the urge to completely binge on a family size bag of salt and vinegar potato chips, I dreamily thought ďI canít wait to die, so I can eat as many chips as I want when Iím in heavenĒ. But then I realized, that canít be. Binge eating is gluttony, a sin. There is no sin in heaven. Many believe we have free will in heaven. If so, how can the desire for gluttony reconcile with an existence absent of sin?
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 02:44 PM
Prepared

Maybe the reasons one is a glutton will be removed by being in the Presence of God. We often sin out of our need for something more...and that something more is usually a need for more of God. (Though overeating salt and vinegar chips is also often just because they taste so durn amazing! Lol!)

I would think food in heaven is pleasurable (ex, the tree of life will have a different fruit growing on it every month....12 different fruits).....but our fulfillment in eternity will be God and not some food, or some pleasure.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JenFred For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 02:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,926 Times in 1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
As I stood in my kitchen fighting the urge to completely binge on a family size bag of salt and vinegar potato chips, I dreamily thought “I can’t wait to die, so I can eat as many chips as I want when I’m in heaven”. But then I realized, that can’t be. Binge eating is gluttony, a sin. There is no sin in heaven. Many believe we have free will in heaven. If so, how can the desire for gluttony reconcile with an existence absent of sin?
You are familiar with what is happening to a pregnant women, related to their ever shifting food preferences during the pregnancy. So what if instead of finding pleasure in gluttony, food is something not really looked at for the same purpose (stress eating, or finding pleasure through taste or the filling of a full belly)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Gumpherhooberpelt

Thanked 7,875 Times in 2,643 Posts

Ahem, souls cannot eat potato chips, in heaven or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to jetgraphics For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 03:18 PM
Prepared

Yet we have the marriage feast of the Lamb in heaven? Yet there is the tree of life with 12 different fruits for us to eat in heaven? Yet we receive a new body in heaven? Didn't Jesus say He would not eat of the bread nor drink the wine till He gets to eat/drink it with us in His Father's kingdom?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JenFred For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 03:20 PM
Prepared

I think velvetelvis just wants permission to eat those chips! Or this is his way of asking us to pray against those evil chips?! Throw them away! Get rid of that temptation! Flee!

Maybe in heaven, we really CAN stop at one chip!
The Following User Says Thank You to JenFred For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenFred View Post
Maybe the reasons one is a glutton will be removed by being in the Presence of God. We often sin out of our need for something more...and that something more is usually a need for more of God. (Though overeating salt and vinegar chips is also often just because they taste so durn amazing! Lol!)

I would think food in heaven is pleasurable (ex, the tree of life will have a different fruit growing on it every month....12 different fruits).....but our fulfillment in eternity will be God and not some food, or some pleasure.
+1
Old 06-21-2019, 03:25 PM
High Concept

Thanked 6,678 Times in 2,417 Posts

Potato chips in heaven? Well it wouldn't be heaven without them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rett For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 03:48 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 1,285 Times in 362 Posts

Gawd spoke to me after reading the OP's post.

Gawd said : 'Potato chips are out ... Doritos are in. Oh ... and since I come from the South ... RC Cola and Moon Pies are served daily.'

So .. there you have it ! Enjoy the southern cuisine.
Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logit View Post
Gawd spoke to me after reading the OP's post.

Gawd said : 'Potato chips are out ... Doritos are in. Oh ... and since I come from the South ... RC Cola and Moon Pies are served daily.'

So .. there you have it ! Enjoy the southern cuisine.
Bahahaa! I will GLADLY have an rc cola + a moonpie!
Old 06-21-2019, 04:01 PM
Rom 14:1, 13; Jam 4:11-12

Thanked 29,147 Times in 10,218 Posts

Potato chips in heaven are their because they have no calories and no negative health consequences. So, eating them is not gluttony?
The Following User Says Thank You to PeterEnergy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2019, 07:16 PM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Quote:
I think velvetelvis just wants permission to eat those chips! Or this is his way of asking us to pray against those evil chips?! Throw them away! Get rid of that temptation! Flee!

Maybe in heaven, we really CAN stop at one chip!
Itís my light hearted way of tackling the deeper musings I frequently ponder in regards to heaven, especially in regards to freewill versus a more ďcollectiveĒ type of existence.

It also touches on a wonderment of mine that perhaps what is deemed as sin on earth is not deemed as sin in heaven, and thus could partially explain how there is no sin in heaven. I realize there are cracks in my that concept, so I continue to think on these matters. We know so little about actual heaven from scripture , yet people have these intense emotionally driven perceptions.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:36 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 12,844 Times in 4,194 Posts

Yeah, sin and heaven are mutually exclusive.

We would've passed the test and earned our reward, and I doubt obesity will be a problem. Neither will cirrhosis.
Old 06-21-2019, 07:52 PM
Prepared

It was very cute....and it's funny how many things we can wonder about!

I see sin as our way of either going against God's plan or trying to be the same as (or better than) Him or trying to fill our life with (or worship) something other than Him. Why would we need to go against Him or try to be better than Him or fill ourselves with something other than Him when we are in heaven....with Him. He fulfills all that we need. And in heaven, we have Him for an eternity. Seeing it that way makes sense to me as to why there is no marriage in heaven.....we don't need the same things that we would on earth.

So....eat those chips now?!
Old 06-21-2019, 07:58 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 22,718 Times in 8,483 Posts

I read when ask about chain smoking cigarettes Edgar Cayce replied there are no cigarettes in heaven.

Potato chips cost about 100 times more than potato's. Lots of mark up for adding fat and salt. Microwave popcorn is even worse for additives.
Old 06-22-2019, 06:44 AM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Quote:
I see sin as our way of either going against God's plan or trying to be the same as (or better than) Him or trying to fill our life with (or worship) something other than Him. Why would we need to go against Him or try to be better than Him or fill ourselves with something other than Him when we are in heaven....with Him. He fulfills all that we need. And in heaven, we have Him for an eternity. Seeing it that way makes sense to me as to why there is no marriage in heaven.....we don't need the same things that we would on earth.
Yes, that is the general notion. And its also reflective of what I was referring to. We believers have this vague, ethereal concept of contentedness. Saying he fulfills all that we need..... even though I agree, I scratch my head when I try and figure out "what is that really saying, what does that mean in a literal sense or illustration?" No matter how I attempt to grasp it, it still ends up imaging like moths to a flame rather than a free thinker, free will existence. I see us as being so overwhelmed and in awe of whatever God is that we stand there with mouths agape like an involuntary collective. That satisfies the scripture which tells us there is no sadness, pain, tears in heaven.

The more traditional, idyllic view of heaven that I suspect most people dream up is a lot more about leisure and enjoyment. I used to erroneously correlate heaven to "winning the lottery" where now, after enduring the heavy burden of life in a fallen world till the end, believers can now go and do and have whatever they want as they pleased. Instant gratification for all eternity. If I wanted a bacon cheeseburger.. "poof" I have the best one possible. If I wanted another dozen.... or endless salt & vinegar chips, they were a mental snap of the fingers away like "I Dream of Jeannie". Flying, fishing, playing baseball, performing on stage to a sold out arena etc. Some version of that is how I believe most people view heaven. And there simply isn't any scripture that definitively supports it.

I don't have time right now, to flesh out my thoughts on this out a bit more.

This subject makes people uncomfortable, but it's a more honest and intellectual dialogue than arguing about denominational superiority complexes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Velvet Elvis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2019, 03:31 PM
Prepared

I agree that the traditional idea of heaven is more of a free for all, get whatever your heart desires, idea. We can do anything we want, and get all we want.

I believe I've read that we will have work to do...ministering to do? When there is a new earth and a new heaven? Maybe I am thinking of the 1,000 yr reign on earth, after Christ's 2nd coming?

But I think heaven will be so overwhelming...that trying to describe or quantify it now would be impossible. To be in a place where someone's sin won't hurt me, and my sin won't hurt someone else (or myself)....because there is no sin.... There's a Bible study I'm doing now by Lysa Terkeurst that talks about how everything was perfect after creation....and before sin. And how we were made for perfection....and how we long for that sinless time. The time when no one got sick, no one died, no one hurt, no one hurt others. That this world was created in perfection and with perfection as its goal/purpose....and any- + everything else disappoints us.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:45 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,280 Times in 1,208 Posts

Isn't heaven a temporary abode for those who die before the return of Y'shua?
Old 06-24-2019, 06:41 AM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 120,913 Times in 23,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Elvis View Post
As I stood in my kitchen fighting the urge to completely binge on a family size bag of salt and vinegar potato chips, I dreamily thought ďI canít wait to die, so I can eat as many chips as I want when Iím in heavenĒ. But then I realized, that canít be. Binge eating is gluttony, a sin. There is no sin in heaven. Many believe we have free will in heaven. If so, how can the desire for gluttony reconcile with an existence absent of sin?
Maybe in heaven you really CAN eat just one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2019, 07:27 AM
GrowingFromScratch.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Isn't heaven a temporary abode for those who die before the return of Y'shua?
The current version, yes. There will be a new heaven, new earth, new Jerusalem. My understanding is that they will be largely be one in the same. Which strikes me as an interesting parallel to the three in one concept that had not occurred to me previously.