Bernie Sander's "Medicare for All" plan--what do you think? - Page 6 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

General Discussion Anything non-survival related - news and information, current events, general chit-chat stuff.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Start Anew 223shootersc Books, Movies & Stories 1101 12-24-2018 08:53 PM
ALWAYS have a plan..or..How I survived WWIII NW GUY Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 8 04-18-2018 11:59 PM
Plan twice, prep one is out of date rabbitone Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 22 07-10-2017 07:15 PM
Health Insurance/Healthcare Plan....could this work? OhioMan General Discussion 11 05-16-2017 06:24 AM

Old 04-17-2019, 07:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 57,816 Times in 18,796 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Considering my daughter just joined the Navy that is not encouraging to hear....I hope she doesn't get injured or sick

I went to a VA hospital for a check up one time while married to ex that was in the Army. It didn't seem as bad as some of the hospitals now here in the U.S. to be honest. But that was more than 30 years ago
That was also was when the VA was withering on the vine for lack of "customers"
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 PM
Survivor

Thanked 9,308 Times in 3,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
That was also was when the VA was withering on the vine for lack of "customers"
Well, from personal experience I would say that there are ****ty doctors in all systems. I came across several really bad ones in private not government funded healthcare , I had some good ones in socialized medicine. I think it just depends on where you are and who you are dealing with. Best thing, like I said, is AVOID hospitals and doctors at all cost anywhere because you never know what you will get
Old 04-17-2019, 08:01 PM
Survivor

Quote:
. I think it just depends on where you are and who you are dealing with.
You may think what you like.

Those of us with extensive personal experience (in multiple states) know better.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 12:30 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,318 Times in 18,962 Posts

Quote:
Unless she screws something up, she is going to be in school for a few years to learn to fix airplanes. No combat there (its in Florida). Then who knows. But thanks for the info I will pass it along to her. She starts boot camp next week
Thankfully she didn't get into the job she really wanted...rescue swimmer. They offered her a higher sign up bonus ( a LOT of money) to be a aircraft mechanic, so she took that.
Mechanics deal with a lot of toxic petrochems and solvents. Military maintenance is the primary cause of all those toxic bases.

If your family has a skilled tradesman or craftsman then ask them to visit before she leaves to push the import of workplace safety. Her bosses in the military will be focused on hustle and production. They will treat safety education as a yawn worthy discussion. But very few places are more hazardous for accidents than a military flight line.

If something happens you can be sure the military image will rate higher than her sacrifice.

Push her often and hard that safety is job one.

Number two should be for her to get all the civilian certifications and qualifications she can get while she is in. If after military school she gets posted to a base and she's not in the base community college as fast as she can then ride her butt until she wises up. Don't be afraid to seem a nag about learning everything she can. She can carve years off taking a science degree in college after the military if gets extra education while she's in.

Screw the thread digression. It's your baby sticking her neck out.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 01:31 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,811 Times in 1,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biathlon View Post
Uuuhm? NO!!! The best information has been out there for a very long time. People who make poor decisions need to face the consequences on their own!

Smoking? Obese? Sedentary lifestyle? Riding motorcycles without a helmet? Use illegal drugs? Drink too much? Risky sex? 5, 6 8 or 13 children?

You're on your own. I aint paying for your care.
I am all for that.
But there cannot be any sacred cows.
No tax amnesty for churches.
No home mortgage interest deduction.
No MACRS depreciation for farmers.
No enterprise zones for corporations.

In fact, in lieu of income tax, let's just have a national sales tax.
Everyone who consumes, pays the tax.

Personal responsibility only.
No .gov or IRS determining winners/losers.
Old 04-18-2019, 02:33 AM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 54,318 Times in 18,962 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife View Post

It's called the Fair Tax Plan and been out there for years.

Search using Google, type "site:survivalistboards.com" in Google's search box, followed by the search parameters. You can use all normal conventions, limit searches by date, etc. Works quite well and beats the native search function.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamZeke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 05:13 PM
Smile..wait for the flash

Thanked 2,449 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleKitty View Post
Not affordable.

Not something I want.

At best, people don't realize how much you copay on that 20%. My husband has Medicare and I see it.

Self-pay, I got comprehensive blood tests (at a walk-in cash lab) for $180, Doctor visit (also cash) for another $50, and a final $50 for 3 month's worth of medication. All self pay, for less than $300. No special programs. I don't need help with that.

Give me a decent catastrophic plan for about $200 a month and I'll be happy.
I only read as far as your post PK, but agree! My wife and I had to cancel our health care this year and go without anything. Just couldn't afford the Affordable Care Act anymore. We put what we can afford into a HSA, otherwise, we are just being careful.

I get most of my meds from overseas. Asthma inhalers I get from India for about $4.50 after shipping. Same med, same amount, costs me almost $100 from the local pharmacy.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:42 PM

For it, works in every major country with a diverse industrial/tech economy. It's just a redirecting of funds away from private unnecessary middle men, and to a collective insurance pot. I've no issue paying higher taxes for something I'd be paying the same, or from what most studies have shown, more for via private insurance. The U.S. ranks the worst among modern countries in preventive care for a reason, people don't go to the doctor even when they have insurance because they often can't afford the extra stuff that comes with it.
Old 04-18-2019, 05:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 37,580 Times in 11,276 Posts

^^^ troll troll troll your boat, gently off a cliff...
The Following User Says Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedlovesjeeps71 View Post
^^^ troll troll troll your boat, gently off a cliff...
Yeah, yeah, don't engage what I said, just call me a troll.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:09 PM
Survivor

Trying to boost your post count now? Nice try.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:20 PM
The Power of the Glave

Thanked 6,376 Times in 1,392 Posts

I am wondering about getting health procedures done abroad i.e. "medical tourism".

For example: I am needing a mitral valve replacement.

The cost here in the U.S. is anywhere from $40,000 to $150,000.

Yet the same procedure can be done in a top-notch clinic in Poland for $10,000 max.

Similar costs for getting it done in clinics in India, Thailand, Israel, and Lithuania.

Same lower costs for other treatments and surgeries. Can be done in other countries for 10-15 percent of the cost here in the U.S.

And by fully competent and excellent surgical teams.

Could it be that the best solution for unaffordable and skyrocketing health care costs in America, is to let the free market take over?

Get rid of all medical insurance?

Just like the way manufacturing went. Go overseas to where the costs are lower.

Thoughts? Opinions?
The Following User Says Thank You to zooeyhll For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:24 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooeyhll View Post
I am wondering about getting health procedures done abroad i.e. "medical tourism".

Yet the same procedure can be done in a top-notch clinic in Poland for $10,000 max.

Similar costs for getting it done in clinics in India, Thailand, Israel, and Lithuania.

Same lower costs for other treatments and surgeries. Can be done in other countries for 10-15 percent of the cost here in the U.S.

Could it be that the best solution for unaffordable and skyrocketing health care costs in America, is to let the free market take over?

Ding-ding!!! Winner winner, chicken dinner!

If enough people stopped feeding the beast which has become medical gouging, forced government programs, and providing for the non-productive, the free market would revert to a better system. Until then...may as well find quality elsewhere if it’s affordable. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tedlovesjeeps71 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:34 PM

I have been on Medicare for several years now. We have paid into it all our working lives and it is still not, or ever will be free. $142 per month and going up every year. And it sucks. So I have a supplemental plan thru Medica for $79 per month. Ok that's better... But RX thru Humana sucks at $25 a month also going up yearly. No Dental or Vision. Basically an 80/20 copay but there are variables, things not covered, appealing claims supposedly covered and caps etc....not perfect but it's the best I'll get for $250 a month but certainly not FREE. I won't buy what the dems are selling...
Old 04-18-2019, 06:55 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
Yeah, yeah, don't engage what I said, just call me a troll.
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadian View Post
For it, works in every major country with a diverse industrial/tech economy. Incorrect

It's just a redirecting of funds away from private unnecessary middle men, and to a collective insurance pot.
S o, rather than getting rid of that you want to add a public unnecessary (even LESS effective) middle man!?!?!?!!!!!

I've no issue paying higher taxes for something I'd be paying the same, Your pay more, and in most countries..... DOUble. That's why Canadians come here. Even their prime minister came to the U.S. for health care.
England (and o thers) people pay their taxes, then if they can afford it pay cash out of pocket for services.
or from what most studies have shown,false, or academically incorrect studies. more for via private insurance. The U.S. ranks the worst among modern countries in preventive care for a reason, yes, lots of illegals using care they don't pay for. Just liKe if we took out criminal on criminal gun crime .in <6 cities our "gun violence" stats would fall BELOW many anti-freedom countries.
people don't go to the doctor even when they have insurance because they often can't afford the extra stuff that comes with it.
There, done.

Your still a troll, and still wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 07:23 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 120,913 Times in 23,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLife View Post
I am all for that.
But there cannot be any sacred cows.
No tax amnesty for churches.
No home mortgage interest deduction.
No MACRS depreciation for farmers.
No enterprise zones for corporations.

In fact, in lieu of income tax, let's just have a national sales tax.
Everyone who consumes, pays the tax.

By your examples, you seem to understand the purpose and theory of taxation, except for one one: churches are not receiving a "tax amnesty;" they are not engaging in taxable events. If you were to tax their activities, you would be double taxing money that had already been taxed at the point of taxable event. Pooling resources to help the poor or engage in not-for-profit activities is not a taxable event because there is no commerce involved.

It is no different than if you and I decided to pool our pocket money to buy a homeless guy lunch two days in a row, instead of you buying him lunch the first day, and I buying it the second. But under your theory, the former charitable act deserves to be robbed by government, because we joined our efforts together.

It doesn't add up. Money that passes through churches isn't income.
The Following User Says Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 07:25 PM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 120,913 Times in 23,958 Posts

Quote:

Thoughts? Opinions?
It can be done here for that same savings. Google the name of the surgery and see. I had a $17-21K surgery done for less than $2K
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmless Drudge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 07:36 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,867 Times in 7,119 Posts

I think he is stupid. I know his plan is stupid.
The Following User Says Thank You to PalmettoTree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2019, 07:58 PM
Dunning-Kruger Survivor

Thanked 19,588 Times in 5,084 Posts

Quote:

Thoughts? Opinions?
IMO, Poland or Israel. But you can probably get it cheaper than you think here.
I also would never get an implantable anywhere but the US if I had any choice in the matter. You don't know the provenance of the manufacturer, what if there's a recall or issue? Was it harvested legally? Ethically? Etc... etc... Bad juju with a pretty important organ to save a few dollars.
Set up a payment plan if you have to. People spend more than that on cars all the time, a heart valve is far more important than vehicle.

Every hospital is now required to provide a price list by CMS, though it can be hard to find online. But it's there.
Here's a link to a helpful list:

https://qz.com/1518545/price-lists-f...nsparency-law/

But, you can call and they have to give you the information too.
Mitral valve is not cheap anywhere, but you may find good pricing at dedicated academic centers (usually has 'University of..." in the the name), and there may be some cardiac surgery centers doing it too. Many times their costs are more flexible or negotiable as they're physician owned.
You have to be an informed consumer, you can't just let your insurance provider tell you X,Y,Z.
A lot of work, but could literally save you tens of thousands of dollars.

And I'd say, if you haven't gotten a second or even third opinion, do. Be sure you need actual replacement and not just a repair. Cuts the cost in half or more if it's a repair.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Bernie Sanders has announced details of a "Medicare for All" plan.

It would basically replace the entire privately funded health care and health insurance with a "single payer" system.

Highlights from the article:

Saying he wants to end the “international embarrassment” of the U.S. being the only wealthy country that doesn’t provide universal health coverage, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-VT) released a new version of his Medicare for All plan Wednesday. The bill’s 14 co-sponsors include Sanders’ fellow presidential candidates Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), Cory Booker (D-NJ), Kamala Harris (D-CA) and Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY).

Medicare for All would be phased in over four years, with the qualifying age falling by a decade each year. In the interim, Americans would be given the option to buy into a publicly run health care program. The Indian Health Service and the Department of Veterans Affairs would remain independent for at least 10 years.

There would be no premiums, deductibles or co-pays for health services, excluding prescriptions drugs.

Enrollees would face a $200 maximum co-pay for prescription drugs annually.

Medicare would be required to negotiate drug prices and create a drug formulary listing the medications that may be prescribed.

Providers would be paid under the existing Medicare fee schedule.

To pay for this, Sanders proposes:

A 4% tax on employees (exempting the first $29,000 in income for a family of four), a 7.5% tax on employers (exempting the first $2 million in payroll) and a new tax on “extreme wealth.”

It's anticipated that health care will be one of the most important, if not the most important, issue in the 2020 election.

Do you think the Dems might possibly have a winner with this?

I live in Nebraska. In the 2018 mid-term election, there was a proposal on the ballot to require the state to vastly expand Medicaid. Even though Nebraska is a fiscally conservative Red state, I was surprised that it passed by a large margin.

Sanders' plan sounds enticing. But I also am wondering: how will employers react to an additional 7.5% tax for employees? Will they cut wages accordingly? Will they avoid expansion and adding new employees?

And what--exactly--will be the criteria for "extreme wealth"?

Thoughts? Opinions?

First, there is no FREE LUNCH. The Sanders plan will Have no competition, costs will make it junk. And you will have zero options when that comes to pass. Can you name one government-run plan that works well, how about the DMV or the Post Office, better yet Congress.
One more point, where does it say the government is responsible for your health care? I can ask that about your income, or your home, where is it stated you should have a house?
Seems we Americans have been indoctrinated into thinking we should have lots of free stuff. Well, that's not true.