Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Business Trips aka Flying Shad Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 08-12-2014 03:20 PM
Photos from various ski trips. biathlon General Discussion 12 03-08-2014 01:01 AM
satellite maps when on trips mreddie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 07-21-2013 08:52 AM
50% off the Elite Sportsman Card - Save Thousands on Hunting & Fishing Trips GearHog GearHog 0 01-03-2013 02:00 AM
Yak trips in Texas Yakman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 02-20-2011 08:18 PM
Hungarian trips PATHFINDER-ENE Hungarian 21 12-01-2009 02:44 PM
Earth strangest trips swwjeff General Discussion 6 11-10-2009 10:34 PM
Survival trips in texas Highlander Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 07-21-2009 01:54 PM
Favorite Fishing trips/stories heehaw Boating and Fishing 4 02-06-2009 09:57 PM

Old 01-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Molōn Labe!

Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 2
Default 2 of my fishing trips

Advertise Here

ok, i'm a fisherman at heart, but i've devoted all my time on this forum to the survival/gun areas. I couldn't let that sit well for much longer, so i've decided to rectify that. Here are a couple pics of two of my more memorable fishing trips:

This guy here is a 32 inch Red that i caught March 3rd, 2007 approximately 7pm under a FULL MOON. He was 12 pounds, 14 ounces. I took a weekend trip to the East Cut which is the northernmost part of South Padre Island and caught him off the jetties of the Ship Channel which is cut through at that point. To the north is Port Mansfield in the distance. It's about 20 miles driving through open sand from South Padre Island to get to this point, and you can only do it at low tide. High tide will prevent you from travelling the choke points all along the way. About 15 of us were all out there camping and having a blast!

I set up my brand spanking new 7 foot surf rod with a double line rig and was fishing with cut mullet if i remember correctly. I tossed it into the channel, dropped my pole in the jettie hole after tightening the line, then went to my neighbor to help him untangle his line. After that, i walked back to my pole to tighten it a tad, and brought this guy up.. All within 5 minutes of hook in the water! The pole was so brand new, i had not even taken the time to remove the stock crappy line and install some good monofilament or stranded Stren or Spiderwire. I used a 5 ounce weight just to fight the chop it was so bad.

This guy was my second largest fish ever caught, but the single best overall because of the conditions in which he was caught. My top fish was a 43 inch Black Drum. It was an oddity, because our Bay boat caught 13 of them in 4 hours. Only one was legal size. The rest were too damn big to eat.

This stringer is composed of 19 sand trout and whiting. There might have been 1 or 2 other species there, but it was captured in the bay of South Padre Island on a standard bay boat ride. These fish don't get terribly large due to the amount of bay fishing. $20 for a 4 hour ride (3 hour fish time) is much more affordable for people than deep sea fishing! My Air Force buddy was in town for this trip and managed to catch a whole 3 fish. In this style of fishing, you drop the weight to the bottom floor, kick the release to locked position, then tighten just a tad to maintain taughtness. You wait for the bite, set the hook, and bring the bugger up. If you don't set your hook, then you lose your bait by the second nibble. Bait used was primarily thawed out frozen shrimp with a few squid and mullet bits thrown in periodically.

These were caught around June of 2005.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to BakCompat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 20,734 Times in 7,374 Posts

nice drum.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 01-11-2008, 01:45 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,888 Times in 861 Posts

I love fishing as well and will post some pics next time I go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2008, 03:16 PM
Good Bye

Thanked 1,410 Times in 672 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

great post. I love Texas fishing!
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Wherever I may Roam

Here's my dinner!
The Following User Says Thank You to sixpack110 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2008, 10:02 PM

Thanked 1,209 Times in 528 Posts

I have not wet a line or drowned a worm in 15 years . I live 15 miles from the Green River in Wyoming .....................maybe this summer , if I can find a spot between the yuppies .

Was a pretty good fly fisherman back in my youth , even tyed my own thanks to Dad .
Old 01-12-2008, 11:35 PM
trois pour cent

Thanked 5,651 Times in 2,305 Posts

I've fished that area and love it. Nice thing about Padre Island, you can take your truck on the beach. I've driven my camper/truck rig out there and hung out for days. Caught good just fishing the surf.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:29 AM
Molōn Labe!

Awards Showcase

when i was in high school, it was quite common at that age to want to "go to the beach" and mess around. This would entail anybosy with a 4x4 wanting to hit the dunes.. be it a Bronco, Suzuki, truck, or 4 wheeler. Unfortunately, the eco-nazis got sway and pushed through the initiative to ban all vehicles in the dunes due to "soil erosion." Ok, if it's legitimate, then i'm definitely for susatainability and conservation, but what soil? It's pure sand. No soil in the undeveloped areas where the road ends. There is always a big push locally every xmas to recycle dead xmas trees for rebuilding the dunes, and this is a great useage. It prevents them from hitting the landfill taking up space, and is able to maintain dunes, keeping them from drifting across the road. They also act as windbreaks. Surf winds are pretty much constant, and anybody who has to pay the insurance for an island building will encourage windbreaks every chance they get!

At any rate, the misguided preconception that the soil was in trouble led to anybody who dropped off the asphault getting busted for a $300 fine. Ridiculous. You would even get busted if you were caught exiting the road at the end of it, instead of using one of the public beach access cut-offs, where you need to pay the $3 "recycling" fee and get a free trash bag. What? Now i have to go through a toll road to get to the beach also? How much more of this BS do i have to go through. As a punk kid, i didn't think all that much of it.. I just wanted to get out to the sand and drink some tequila and burn some bonfires while hanging out with my homies. Those were pretty good days, but then i suppose they generally are for anyone of that age. No particular responsibility. Not many cares in the world, and pretty much no real stress...

Sometimes i would go surf fishing. That used to be my preferred style of fishing. I used to think that was "the only way to fish". Going out to the second sandbar (~300 feet), casting off, then walking back to the shallows and playing fisherman. whee! Feeling all those little rubs up against my ankles. Conceptually understanding that there were fishies running across my feet, not connecting the quantities of stingrays in there, despite pulling a couple of stingrays out EVERY time i would surf fish. I would also pull out hammerhead sharks EVERY time i would go surf fishing. They weren't particularly large, perhaps 10-14 inches or so, but think about them next time you are standing in pounding surf water up to your neck!

Yup, good times. Which reminds me, i'll need to dig out some surf photos to post for your perusal.
The Following User Says Thank You to BakCompat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2008, 11:20 AM

Who was the main guide company when you went to South Padre?
Old 02-24-2008, 05:50 PM
Molōn Labe!

Awards Showcase

we didn't go with guides. We drove north to the end of the pavement, got on the sand, then continued north about 25 miles or so to the end of the island. It's called the East Cut, and is open to anybody who can make it out there. All you need is enough gas and 4x4 to get there. Of course, if you head out there, make sure you take your supplies with you, because you are 30+ miles away from the city of South Padre Island. It would really suck if you ran out of gas. Generally though, anybody in distress can usually get help from others out there, as most everyone has been in minor straits themselves, and has had help come from others.

Now, if you just want to go bay fishing on one of those boats, then i have generally always gone with Fisherman's Wharf or Murphy's Fishing. Fisherman's Wharf is north of the Causeway and Murphys is directly south of the Causeway. You can expect your 4 hour ride to run you $20 and catch sand trout and whiting primarily.

I've gone for red snapper only with Murphy's and easily hit my limit of only 2. I caught 10+ snapper (keeping only 2) and also caught a lane snapper (freebie, no limit). I don't know what the cost of the deep sea ride was as i got in for free under a buddie's company trip. But the price was fairly up there. My buddie (first time on a boat) caught a mahi mahi on his first try. The bastard.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Molōn Labe!

Awards Showcase

posting pictures is quite easy. All you need to do is scroll down a bit and click on the button labelled "Manage Attachments" which will open a new window. In this new window you select the browse button and select each pic you want to upload. When you choose each pic you want to, hit the upload button. When done uploading, your pics will be posted in the slider applet style.