How much do you layer in the winter? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Base Layer Clothing Review. Thejeepster Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3 11-11-2014 08:51 PM
Warm Outer Layer survivalscience Reviews and questions 18 08-30-2013 01:30 AM
Alternative to layer 7 ecwcs remingtonlover7 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 3 01-25-2013 12:30 PM
My Dogs Add Another Layer of Defense Starblaster Urban Survival 12 06-30-2012 12:32 AM
Winter outer layer question pineswiggle Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 7 04-28-2012 10:54 AM
The Marine Layer Bosco Warden General Discussion 3 05-21-2011 12:50 PM
underneath the BS layer on Japan luckyfasteddie Political News and Discussion 17 03-21-2011 07:02 PM
Need help with (base layer) sky walker Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 16 01-23-2010 07:28 PM
From Nothing, Something: One Layer at a Time Ordr General Discussion 0 09-30-2009 09:43 AM
Use cashmere as a base layer JLB Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 5 01-21-2009 02:54 AM

Old 02-03-2015, 09:47 AM
Target Shooter

Default How much do you layer in the winter?

Advertise Here

I'm about an hour, maybe 90 minutes NW of Philly and today it's in the 20's and kinda windy. This morning it was in the teens so it was chilly but not unheard of for us. Fortunately those days never stick around and before you know it we are back in the 30's for highs. But talking to guys at work made me wonder how much I layer up versus others. I always seem to run cold and this year I started doing something about it. Wool socks, wool thermal tops and bottoms, either canvas pants or insulated (great find at EMS, FYI), good boots, so on. Lately my feet have been cold so I even did 2 pairs of socks. 1 light pair of ankle socks and then my thick wool ones over top. I'm feeling pretty good today.

How do you other SB guys handle the cold?
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2015, 10:13 AM
Hunter

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,113 Posts

I run cold, its my nature, always have. Its usually thermals, thin PJs, then jeans, tshirt, sweatshirt, 2 pair of socks and jacket if I am just out and about. If its outside for long periods of time, add insulated bib overalls (big sale at Tractor Supply) under jacket.

Yes, I look like the kid from A Christmas Story (I can't put my arms down) but I am warm.
The Following User Says Thank You to catlady12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,652 Times in 5,809 Posts

Merino wools socks, base layer bottom (polypro), base layer top (polypro), cotton t-shirt, fleece top, down coat. Water resistant 10" insulated boots w/shearling insole. Watch cap, fleece gloves, and scarf in pocket in case it gets windy.
It's 3F currently outside and I'm plenty warm.
The Following User Says Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 10,983 Times in 5,386 Posts

As much as is necessary for the conditions.

Ignore people that wear cotton in winter.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,652 Times in 5,809 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post

My underpants are cotton.

If I could afford a doz merino wool t-shirts and a doz sets of silk underwear, I'd omit the cotton ones from my winter wardrobe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,386 Times in 536 Posts

Living in New England cold is something I deal with a lot. One item that I added recently is a Primaloft vest that I can add as a 4th layer under my coat. I've also switched to lined windproof zip-up sweaters for my 2nd layer, which gives you essentially 2 layers in 1 item. So it's a base layer (merino wool or poly), windproof wool sweater and a Gore-Tex winter shell, with the vest added in on extremely cold days. Everything down to the base layer has zippers, so I can easily adjust if I start getting too warm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnmcd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Survivor

Thanked 25,689 Times in 7,968 Posts

Daily, I don't layer up at all, I work indoors, cold isn't an issue.

If I'm out and about, I use MANY layers. I hate being too hot or too cold, I want to be able to adjust.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape View Post
My underpants are cotton.

If I could afford a doz merino wool t-shirts and a doz sets of silk underwear, I'd omit the cotton ones from my winter wardrobe.
These guys don't make the cheapest things around but the quality and warmth well outweighs the premium.
Minus 33 merino wool
The Following User Says Thank You to EB85 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Target Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajole View Post
Daily, I don't layer up at all, I work indoors, cold isn't an issue.

If I'm out and about, I use MANY layers. I hate being too hot or too cold, I want to be able to adjust.
I work indoors, too, but I also work about 25 feet from a garage door that opens and closes throughout the day and occasionally have to go outside for brief periods. Plus, like I said, I run cold so my layers are essential for me to feel warm.
The Following User Says Thank You to EB85 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 01:14 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,430 Times in 719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
I'm about an hour, maybe 90 minutes NW of Philly and today it's in the 20's and kinda windy. This morning it was in the teens so it was chilly but not unheard of for us. Fortunately those days never stick around and before you know it we are back in the 30's for highs. But talking to guys at work made me wonder how much I layer up versus others. I always seem to run cold and this year I started doing something about it. Wool socks, wool thermal tops and bottoms, either canvas pants or insulated (great find at EMS, FYI), good boots, so on. Lately my feet have been cold so I even did 2 pairs of socks. 1 light pair of ankle socks and then my thick wool ones over top. I'm feeling pretty good today.

How do you other SB guys handle the cold?
For that temp range, I usually put on a fleece sweater. A windbreaker as well if needed. Regular running shoes for around town, and light gloves.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 29,681 Times in 7,118 Posts

If I'm working, like shoveling snow, I'll put on a sweatshirt, a pair of gloves, and earmuffs if it's 0-10 F. Depends on the wind. If I'm blowing snow, I wear construction work gear with a pair of snowmobile gloves, a neck gaiter, and ski goggles. Those construction guys stay warm with that working all day outside and it works for me. I normally have shorts and a T-shirt under it because I get hot huffing snow. If it's below zero I toss that in the car on my commute.

It was a bib overall/coat set I bought at Menards on sale for $30 or $40 one spring 10 years ago. I can barely keep cool in it most of the time. If I layer it with underarmour, jeans, sweatshirts, headgear, and decent boots, I can work outside for hours and usually have to remove something after a while.

The biggest problem I have is the zippered pant legs are a little big so you get snow in if you sled in them. :D I need a pair of gaiters for my feet.

I can survive in that get up outside snowmobiling so it'll take the cold.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Listen to the ghosts

Thanked 9,557 Times in 3,490 Posts

As always, it depends. First, everyone experiences different temperatures. Night before last it was 37F, and that is as cold as I expect it to get this year. And that's a cold year for us, although we do get to 32F once or twice some years. Second, I work indoors in a professional job, so a great deal depends on whether it is during the week or on the weekend.

Ordinarily, during the deep winter, just three layers on top (tshirt, long john shirt, dress shirt) and two on the bottom (long john bottom, dress pants) during the week and on the weekend casual clothes counterparts plus fleece pullover or sweater, fleece jacket, rain jacket as needed. However, I've been known to add a union suit to that lineup when camping, especially if we head north.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:45 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,829 Times in 1,073 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankylus View Post
As always, it depends. First, everyone experiences different temperatures.
+1

It's also humidity. Here in MI, 30 to 35 degrees will often feel colder than mid 20s because the humidity can be a good bit higher.
Old 02-03-2015, 06:50 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 46,057 Times in 14,083 Posts

For most winter days in OK:
Jeans, wool socks, boots, plain tshirt, light weight wool sweater or long sleeved work shirt, all weather trench coat with hood, lightweight leather driving gloves.
If its colder I add tights under my pants, a wool scarf, cap and mittens to go over the gloves.
When its really crappy: Tights, lined wool pants, wool socks and heavier/taller snow boots. On top a silk turtle neck, insulated wool shirt or heavy sweater. Change out the trench coat for a parka.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jojo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 07:31 PM
Target Shooter

A new jacket is on my list at some point. I've been rocking a Patagonia R4 for probably 5 or 6 years and while it's warm, it's not wind nor is it waterproof and it has no liner. I also want to add a good quality scarf to seal up the top side.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:40 PM

depends. Like if I am working outside for the day (like today) I will wear military thermals (top and bottom), wool socks, and enough layers to be warm. I work outside enough to know what that is. I am in southern canada, and today was cold so I had the thermals and the socks, jeans over top (on extremely cold days I wear military surplus pants - jeans and cold dont mix, but I need the pockets), and up top it was the thermal shirt, a sweater, a coat designed to protect from wind, a very thick hoodie, then on top of all that a quilted plaid farm coat. If its going to be too cold for even all that, I have military surplus items for that as well. When I am not at work I dress totally impractical because its short term - dresses, hose, heels - so we wont even go there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bacon Betty For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Possum Lover

Thanked 27,951 Times in 10,016 Posts

Houston's pretty mild. We went into full panic mode (the city) when we had a cold snap with lows in the 20's.

On a really bad day, I will wear wool socks, fleece long underwear, jeans, t-shirt, sweatshirt, long quilted coat on top.

On a typical "nasty" winter day I do wool socks, long underwear, jeans, t-shirt, and jacket or hoodie. Hot flashes have their advantage.

Ideally I also have a wool hat. I also like Hot Hands.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,084 Times in 5,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppine View Post

Burlap underwear is making a comeback I hear...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iamfarticus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,084 Times in 5,769 Posts

I'm seriously claustrophobic, so less layers for me. If its something that I pull over my head that takes effort, that's a no-go.

I was outside last night clearing snow with my snow blower and it was 23* and some wind gusts. I had on a sleeveless Under Armor t-shirt, jeans, work boots and a down ski jacket. When I get hot, I just unzip the jacket a little and I wind up not sweating at all.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:06 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 1,959 Times in 417 Posts

The winters here in So Cal are brutal. Today I didn't venture out of the house without my tee shirt, shorts, and flip flops.

Brrrr !!! It got all the way down to the mid 70's today.