Survivalist Forum banner

Configuring a Legal Tactical Rifle in CT

23K views 27 replies 16 participants last post by  Str8Edge 
#1 ·
The one thing I'd really like to add to my collection is a nice tactical rifle. I've only fired a couple of these. I've got a handgun and shotgun, but my belief - right or wrong - is that a tactical rifle is really a do-it-all kind of home defense weapon.

While I have never fired a Daniel Defense DDM series, they've really got the kind of feature set I'd want. Only... can't get them here. I have no interest in building my own weapon from random parts. Not trying to become an expert. Just want a solid package that's easy to clean / maintain and can work well from 30 feet to 300 feet.

My understanding is pre-ban lowers potentially make something legal. It seems that just about anything you could get is going to be at least $1,000 and maybe more. This just isn't in my budget right now, but when I can swing it, it's a major To Do item. I definitely want to be legal because I'll need to take this thing to a range.

Anyone else in same boat? What are you planning to configure / buy?

#2 ·
Pre bans are completely legal here. You can put whatever scary collapsing stock or scary black fore grip and it will still be legal. I know someone who bought a complete pre ban a few months ago. Cost him around $1300. I've been seeing lowers for around 700-800 lately. If money is an issue just buy the lower for ~700 and slowly build it up as funds allow. I think it's just about your only option if that's the style rifle you're looking for.

#5 ·
Same boat I'm in also.
Only riffle I currently have is a new 10/22 takedown.
I've been seeing a lot of preban lowers for about $800 +/-, way out of my league but saving up. Good news is the scare/ rape prices are going down significantly. A lot of shops have complete prebans ( AR 15 )starting at around $1100 and up. Maybe not top of the line but you can always upgrade on most designs and put whatever you want on them as long as they are the preban models. I've considered the sks and the mini 14 but something about the ar15 that I'm just really attracted to.

After a lot of research on the three riffles I still want a ar15.
I'm going to wait it out a little more before dropping $800 for a preban lower or $1100 for a used and abused ar15. I'll probably buy a lower and build one out to my needs and purpose.

#6 ·
Really? There is a State worse than CA? Not to make light of your situation, but I have found that if you do your research, there is usually a way around most obstacles. They may not be easy or cheap, but you have to decide what is acceptable to you.

Myself, I can live with a bullet button which I can change out in a couple of minutes and mags that I can pull the block out of in about the same time, or building an 80% lower.

#8 ·
You don't need to be an expert to build your own AR. I happened to have gotten some lowers right before the ban. I put in a DPMS lower parts kit, and pined on complete uppers. Upper is the difficult part and you can buy them assembled.

I know you wanted AR, but there may be alternatives.

Have you considered the mini-14? Many models are not covered by the ban, and they fire the same round as the ar-15. It is based on the M-14, a reliable rifle with a great record. I have never owned mini-14 but have M-14 and is is a smooth rifle, easy to clean and operate. Mini-14 also had guard for operating-rod so you don't pinch your fingers. I always had me eye on that rifle.

#17 ·
Second on the Mini 14. It's really the only .223 w/ detachable mags that you are going to be safe with for now.

You could get a Spikes AR. They install a .22 conversion and block the buffer tube to make it legal but otherwise it's a standard AR. All you really have to do convert it to 556 is pick up a BCG and buffer/spring.

#20 ·
I am the proud owner of a 1994 preban colt ar15, and a mini 14 model 583. I highly recommend a mini!!! My rifle eats every type of ammo that I feed it. It is very accurate, and there's just something about that wood stock that puts a smile on my face every time I pick her up..

#22 ·
bug out gun

how much ammo do you think you can take with you, Do you have a bug out truck? How much are you taking with you? Where would you Bug out location? Water, Food, Fuel, Shelter mmmmmmm Gun ok A 10/22 and you can take 1000 rounds with ease, also you and have 2 Rifles and one hand gun.
for the price of one ar.

You did not state why you wanted a Rifle. Shot Guns are cheap. slugs will reach out to 100 yards with ease. Always Do as you like but will you be able to get where you want to go is on the top of the list and my quick list is what you will need,,, a few more things, pots, pans, forks spoons and if you look in your kitchen that is what you need. Tents, sleeping bags and so so much more. Rifle ok hand gun I say yes.. a S & W Stainless Steel Revolver in .357/38 and the 10/22. So your in charge but you only have so much space.
Hell water will take up so much space.

#23 ·
bug out Rifle

in Connecticut you do not have many options, very little off road access to leave city,s or small towns. Connecticut will be hard to leave.

Maybe the northern West part of the state will be easy but most will try to get to the north west.

I am sure roads will be blocked off at that point. But once more Good luck.

What you need a small personal Air Craft of some type. And hope where you are going is not full of aircraft when you get there. R-22 would be the best.

#27 ·
I’m just finishing up some work on a stainless & black composite mini-14. I mounted a bolt-on rail under the barrel for a LED light (not the prettiest arrangement, but very functional), I drilled and tapped four #8-32 holes in the underside of the front stock and mounted a 5.5” rail there for a 9” bipod, another rail over the receiver with a red-dot scope and added a Specter SOP 3-point sling and a piston/bolt buffer. There’s no way a mini 14 is a tactical rifle, but here in CT you have to improvise. The rifle shoots under 2 MOA consistently and eats any ammo I’ve fed it so far. I've considered mounting a barrel stabilizer, but I doubt the $180 will make it a tack-driver. If I want tight groups at 300 yards, I'll use my Win M70.

#28 ·
My mini14 was the 16” stainless/black synthetic with muzzle brake. I had a scout rail with red dot and was working on a light mount. I wanted to love the mini, but I just couldn’t. It was ridiculously hard and expensive to modify, and the reliability was not good enough to trust my life with. I got the “other” AR and added flip-up irons, Vortex red dot, surefire light, and 2-point sling. It is better than the mini in every possible way. If for any reason in the future I cannot bring the AR out in public, I will opt for the M1a scout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.