Business Trips aka Flying - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Revenue officer trips KRINKOV762 Political News and Discussion 13 04-24-2014 02:06 AM
Photos from various ski trips. biathlon General Discussion 12 03-08-2014 01:01 AM
satellite maps when on trips mreddie Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 07-21-2013 08:52 AM
How is business at your local gun shop? Business is booming in Illinois! Sped Man Firearms General Discussion 33 10-25-2012 04:15 PM
Yak trips in Texas Yakman Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 6 02-20-2011 08:18 PM
I see talk of SB camping trips name-old General Discussion 6 03-30-2010 10:07 PM
Hungarian trips PATHFINDER-ENE Hungarian 21 12-01-2009 02:44 PM
Earth strangest trips swwjeff General Discussion 6 11-10-2009 10:34 PM
2 of my fishing trips BakCompat Boating and Fishing 10 02-25-2008 03:46 PM

Old 08-12-2014, 10:54 AM

Default Business Trips aka Flying

Advertise Here

I'm a relatively young father of 3 and married for 7 years. Providing for my family requires that I travel 1 or 2 a quarter for work for a few days at a time. Looking for some advice from the community on what kind of preps people do that have to travel alot. I'm not talking car preps and having a bug out bag for the car but what is realistic for air travel? TSA prevents 3/4 of the prepping stuff as carry on and no way I can check my stuff.

I know practice situational awareness and learned a lot of good information on preventing or what to do if there was ever a plane hijacking but what preparedness stuff would you do for your limited business trip?

If something happened am I just out of luck?

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to Shad For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 12:57 PM
Survivor

Thanked 74,673 Times in 22,975 Posts

What is the nature of your trips?

Meaning: do you fly to one pal e you could mail stuff to, or preposition at, or do you "travel the eastern seaboard" or similar?
Old 08-12-2014, 01:17 PM

I fly to Vancouver Canada 4 to 7 times a year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2014, 02:12 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,961 Times in 749 Posts

Rent a cheap storage space and stuff it with gear and a moped?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nucky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Survivor

Thanked 74,673 Times in 22,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shad View Post
I fly to Vancouver Canada 4 to 7 times a year.
Then it depends on yor resources and what you want to spend.

I know you can take a shotgun to Canada, don't if you can leave it there...
But you could always make one, and as was said, a storage unit or friends house...
(third option, just mail stuff to your hotel and mail it back with the preprinted shipping label)

Wouldn't need much, just enough for the "camping trips" you like to do.
Old 08-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Prepared

working for the government years ago we learned that a weapon you can carry onto a plane and that has several uses......... a sharp no. 2 pencil
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warrpath For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 03:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,755 Times in 2,192 Posts

FAK, paracord, lighter can all be taken in carry on luggage. As soon as you get off the plane you can buy a couple of bottles of water. If you check luggage you can take a small knife or even a short length of chain with a padlock attached to one end which you can transfer later on to your soft-sided computer bag or briefcase..If you go to the same location renting a small storage space would be ideal. Keep a bike, shotgun, and some supplies in there
Old 08-12-2014, 03:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,961 Times in 749 Posts

I plan on packing one or two of these collapsible water containers on my trips. Fill with water as soon as I arrive at the hotel. In an emergency, you won't get stuck without any water. A small water purifier would be needed also.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nucky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Bushidoka

Thanked 6,454 Times in 2,144 Posts
Default World Traveller Preps Lite

I'm sure someone will come along with a more heavy duty list.

Meanwhile, for the "normal" business traveller, esp outside the USA, you might want to consider some of the following, which I have carried for years without incident between Canada, US, Latin America, and Europe. (I am still working on kitting out a safari vest to be a GHB in the tropics, but if you're only going to Canada you won't need that stuff.)

EDC, modified for air travel, includes
cell phone, phone card, Sidewinder hand charger, water bottle on a strap, baggie, coffee filtre, water purification tablets, hat, sunglasses. All this goes into a large floppy shoulder bag, which also carries passport, purse, lunch (I nearly always carry snacks if not a full meal on aircraft these days), iPad & who know what else.
If I were travelling to Vancouver, I would include an umbrella in an outside pocket of my checked bag (so you wouldn't have to carry it on, but it is there when you walk out of the terminal).

Carry-On Mini First Aid Kit:
"stick" versions of antibiotic and anti-burn lotions, moleskin for blisters, disinfectant wipe, bandaid, rehydration packet, Immodium, ColdF-X, painkillers, etc.
Almost forgot, as a result of the latest "wankfest" about Ebola, I just moved my protective plastic eye glasses and N-95 mask into the above carry-on mini...
Luggage: Besides any other "sharps" or "liquids" that have to be checked, I have a small Dog Walkers Fanny Pack which I also take when travelling abroad without the dog because it contains a few self-defence items which seem to cross borders fine if carried in luggage, and it can be worn unobtrusively when I am out and about:
Swiss Army Knife (with scissors, etc), small pepper spray, insect repellant, sunscreen, moleskin,SPF lip balm, Bic lighter, post-its & pencil, Cdn & US quarters& dimes, plastic poncho.
I'm sure there's more, but I think this hits the high spots. Hope it helps.

Last edited by ambos lados; 08-12-2014 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: New for Ebola threat (lol)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ambos lados For This Useful Post: