Mylar reflective sheets for preps - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dehydrator sheets overcomer DIY - Do It Yourself 6 01-21-2015 01:32 PM
NEW! Remington Rem Wraps Per 10 sheets - $3.99 (FREE S/H over $49) apps47inc For Sale 0 09-19-2014 11:52 PM
polar ice sheets rugster Manmade and Natural Disasters 37 09-22-2013 10:46 PM
Energy Sheets on Sport WOOT EODblake Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 08-31-2012 10:12 AM
Low-power reflective heaters Inazone Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 01-09-2012 08:01 AM
Space blankets (mylar reflective) degrade when wet tankman1989 Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 19 09-20-2011 06:42 AM
Bed Sheets AmericanPatriot121 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 27 05-16-2011 08:05 AM
Food Inventory Sheets.......... momof4survivor Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 8 01-04-2011 03:55 PM
My reloading data sheets.... Gunner65 Firearms General Discussion 9 12-05-2010 12:06 AM
Prep Log Sheets Purdy Bear Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 2 08-14-2010 06:59 AM

Old 05-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,912 Times in 2,482 Posts
Default Mylar reflective sheets for preps

Advertise Here

Mylar film has some excellent survival attributes, among them:
1. Reflects existing light in a room to increase the total light from the source.
2. Helps indoor plant seedlings get more light by reflecting the grow lights or low sunlight.
3. Line solar ovens for faster cooking.
4. Increases outdoor plant growth in low light situations or when temperatures are low.
5. Can scare birds away from your seedlings or berries when they see their own reflections.
6. Could increase effectiveness of a solar dehydrator.

The mylar sheets look like a mirror and reflect back 98% of the available light. They can be fastened to a wall so one lantern or candle can seem much brighter.
For less than $30 with shipping you can order 25 feet of it online in most places.
The 2 mil mylar sheets are more sturdy than tin foil and reflect more light.
It is easily cut with a scissors.

Here is a picture of it: (The price is not the lowest you can find):
http://www.hydroponics.net/c/54

What do you think? Has anyone tried it? Are there other purposes it could serve? Would like your input before I order a roll.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lanahi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 01:17 AM
Trust but verify

Lanahi,
Thanks for the wonderful ideas.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nedla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 AM
Board Supporter

Thanked 3,917 Times in 1,044 Posts

Hey Lanahi,
Those are some really good ideas. I have a lot of the 5 gallon bucket size bags, but I bet you could cut them open and do the same thing. I have this Mockingbird that has been eyeing my blueberry bushes real close too ... they are just getting ready to start turning purple, and I was wondering what to do about that little rascal. That just might work. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2010, 05:20 AM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
Hey Lanahi,
Those are some really good ideas. I have a lot of the 5 gallon bucket size bags, but I bet you could cut them open and do the same thing. I have this Mockingbird that has been eyeing my blueberry bushes real close too ... they are just getting ready to start turning purple, and I was wondering what to do about that little rascal. That just might work. Thanks again.
Lol, I love mockingbirds, but I love blueberries more! Let us know if that works. If not, maybe you will have to put a net over the bushes.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:51 AM
Deo VIndice

Thanked 4,135 Times in 2,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graywolf View Post
Hey Lanahi,
Mine are just starting to turn as well. I have 4 varieties staggered in 5 rows about 6 acres long each for pollination purposes.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:48 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 155,226 Times in 45,070 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

I bought a roll of narrow mylar to scare birds away from my garden last year. It was silver on one side and red on the other. Bright flashy stuff and it worked very well.

Another source of larger mylar is space blankets. Sometimes you can find them very cheap at dollar stores.
Old 06-01-2010, 08:33 AM
off-grid organic farmer

Thanked 36,737 Times in 14,485 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

It is great stuff to have around. I got a 50 foot roll a few months ago.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:02 AM
Prepared

dont forget most chip bags are mylar some are the reflective kind inside
Old 06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Spooky

Thanked 1,455 Times in 655 Posts

Rolls of aluminum flashing from are much cheaper and last longer than mylar and are easily obtained from the average home center.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:00 AM
Trust but verify

Here are some additional ideals and interesting historical note:

Don't Throw Them Away!

Compared to latex helium balloons, Mylar balloons last for weeks on end, but they finally lose their lift and slowly sink to the floor like all other helium-filled balloons. A Mylar balloon is far too good to throw

away, and if it can't be refilled because of a hole, it can still be used in a number of other creative ways. The graphics are colorful, and some are used to send a special message in honor of a specific occasion.

Can you imagine how many Mylar balloons are in landfills right now? Try these creative ways to reuse a Mylar balloon instead of stuffing it into the trash. Next time you have a Mylar balloon that has sunk to an all-time low, give the balloon new life, and consider these creative ways to recycle and reuse. You'll save money, and you'll do your part to help the environment when you reuse something that would otherwise end up in a landfill.

Framed Photo Backing

Instead of using a matte to embellish a framed photo, consider mounting the photo on a colorful section of Mylar balloon. Wrap a piece of cardstock of appropriate size with a piece of Mylar balloon, and affix to the cardstock it with spray adhesive or double-sided tape. Carefully attach the picture to the colorful eye-catching backing with double-side tape, and frame the photo. The silver Mylar and the colorful graphics will make a very unique framed photo unlike anything you'll find in the store.

Packing Material

When sending a birthday gift, get well gift, or any other gift by mail, search your stash of old Mylar balloons, and use one or more for packing material. A scrunched up Mylar balloon will help keep items from breaking and shifting in transit, and it's a much better choice than using expensive bubble wrap or newspapers that make black ink stains and dirty looking marks. Best of all, this creative packing material can be used and reused again for the same purpose.
Source: http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...r_balloon.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mylar« polyester film
Since Mylar« polyester film was invented in the early 1950s, it has been used in a variety of applications that add value to products in virtually all segments of the world. After nearly 50 years, the future still holds great promise for Mylar«. Its excellent balance of properties and extraordinary range of performance capabilities make Mylar« ideal for a broad array of applications in the electrical, electronics, magnetic media, industrial specialty, imaging and graphics, and packaging markets.
Mylar« polyester film, only by DuPont Teijin Films, is available uncoated or coated in a broad variety of thickness and width.

Source: http://www2.dupont.com/Automotive/en...lms/mylar.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nedla For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I bought a roll of narrow mylar to scare birds away from my garden last year. It was silver on one side and red on the other. Bright flashy stuff and it worked very well.

Another source of larger mylar is space blankets. Sometimes you can find them very cheap at dollar stores.
Did you put up the red or silver side, or doesn't it matter?

I'd forgotten about the space blankets.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestBeekeeper View Post
It is great stuff to have around. I got a 50 foot roll a few months ago.
What all are you using it for?
Old 06-03-2010, 02:19 PM
Father of 11 husband of 1

Thanked 13,686 Times in 5,686 Posts

Wait, are you saying that you can make your own space blankets out of the roll stuff? Will it fold up nicely or is it too stiff?