Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bug out in a winter cold spell in England -ideas? rghal British Isles and ROI 6 11-14-2017 07:19 AM
What would you do in an all-out war situation? Crunchyness Urban Survival 140 08-30-2017 11:10 AM
Preppers: Check Seed Germination Rates AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 05-02-2017 08:30 AM
Winter Wilderness Bug out unknownprepper Canada 24 02-04-2017 10:36 AM

Old 03-24-2018, 02:43 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,294 Times in 606 Posts
Default This winter has been a reality check...

Advertise Here

Hello fellow keloland dwellers! I've just moved here from WA in december, where it never got colder than 20 degrees. I've had to deal with some things I never considered before.

Storage of batteries:
I checked my batteries, and 1/4 of my Aaa batteries had leaked. They were not discharged at all, which leads me to believe they leaked do to freezing. Also, I was gifted a stanley jump pack with compressor, the battery failed by January. Is it unreasonable to store an sla battery in my car? All I can figure is it slid in my trunk and turned on at some point, draining the battery, then in its discharged state it froze. I went to use it, discovering it was dead so I plugged it in to charge. I've read a sure way to kill an sla battery is to charge it while it's frozen.

Storage of water: I knew this would be a problem.. But... How the heck do Yall store large quantities of water if you can't heat the space you store it in?

Duct tape:
To my surprise, this stuff doesn't stick worth crap when it's cold. It actually started falling off the roll when I tried to get some. Any other product like duct tape that can work in - 30?

Clothing:
I have had a hard time finding a ballance between something that blocks the wind but I won't sweat to death in. In WA, when it was cold I would wear a cotton beanie, and take it off if I started sweating. I did that here when I was working in my storage unit, but as soon as I stepped into the wind, my hair froze. I have replaced it with wool, I can keep it on while sweating and not feeling like a wet mop.

Plastics:
I have found that at these Temps, some plastics crumble like this glass when impacted. What plastics are good down to - 30?

Frozen mud in my tires:
I never had to deal with this before cause I'm a city boy, but my folks live out in the sticks, with lots of dirt roads twice now I have gotten mud trapped in the wheel that causes a bad vibration at speed. Is that just something I need to live with? Sure I could use a hose and spray it out, but my dad doesn't want to use it when it's cold.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jihiggs For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2018, 03:12 PM
Paramedic and ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Thanked 5,962 Times in 2,023 Posts

All really amazing "ahhh moments" especially when you move to a climate you aren't used too. This winter was nasty for so many. It should be an eye-opener to many of us.
The Following User Says Thank You to zumhug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 12:29 AM
Hunter

was it particularly bad? cause i heard it is usually colder. im east river.
The Following User Says Thank You to jihiggs For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2018, 07:19 PM
Midwest Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihiggs View Post
Hello fellow keloland dwellers! I've just moved here from WA in december, where it never got colder than 20 degrees. I've had to deal with some things I never considered before.

Storage of batteries:
I checked my batteries, and 1/4 of my Aaa batteries had leaked. They were not discharged at all, which leads me to believe they leaked do to freezing. Also, I was gifted a stanley jump pack with compressor, the battery failed by January. Is it unreasonable to store an sla battery in my car? All I can figure is it slid in my trunk and turned on at some point, draining the battery, then in its discharged state it froze. I went to use it, discovering it was dead so I plugged it in to charge. I've read a sure way to kill an sla battery is to charge it while it's frozen.

I.never store extra batteries in the cold.

Storage of water: I knew this would be a problem.. But... How the heck do Yall store large quantities of water if you can't heat the space you store it in?

Yes,leave bit of room for it to freeze/thaw. A small cooler full of water bottles helps keep them warmer and will contain water if they do freeze.

Duct tape:
To my surprise, this stuff doesn't stick worth crap when it's cold. It actually started falling off the roll when I tried to get some. Any other product like duct tape that can work in - 30?

Try gorilla tape

Clothing:
I have had a hard time finding a ballance between something that blocks the wind but I won't sweat to death in. In WA, when it was cold I would wear a cotton beanie, and take it off if I started sweating. I did that here when I was working in my storage unit, but as soon as I stepped into the wind, my hair froze. I have replaced it with wool, I can keep it on while sweating and not feeling like a wet mop.

No way around it you need layers. A base layer, regular clothes, Then I always go with a sweat shirt before my heavy coat. Unzip and/or peal off layers when u get warm. Head covering is a must

Plastics:
I have found that at these Temps, some plastics crumble like this glass when impacted. What plastics are good down to - 30?

No idea

Frozen mud in my tires:
I never had to deal with this before cause I'm a city boy, but my folks live out in the sticks, with lots of dirt roads twice now I have gotten mud trapped in the wheel that causes a bad vibration at speed. Is that just something I need to live with? Sure I could use a hose and spray it out, but my dad doesn't want to use it when it's cold.
Inside the wheel or between tire and wheel well? I knock mine out with a stick. My other answers are inside the quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2018, 08:49 PM
Hunter

on the inside of the rims, not something i could just knock out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
Inside the wheel or between tire and wheel well? I knock mine out with a stick. My other answers are inside the quote
Old 03-26-2018, 02:11 AM
Abnormality biased.

Thanked 23,692 Times in 6,788 Posts

Use a weed burner to heat up your wheels. I did this all the time in Alaska, and even sometimes in Montana. Some wheel designs are worse than others for this.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerindel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 04:05 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,042 Times in 2,269 Posts

Car battery: Buy an Interstate. They make a regular and a heavy duty. Get the heavy duty and get it one size bigger than your car calls for. When it's -35 and the wind bringing it down farther you don't want to be ****ing around in the dark trying to get your car started for work.

Tires. Buy an all terrain or snow that is up to you but don't mess around get good ones and get heavier than normal. I would get 8 ply if you're not hauling anything heavy and 10 ply if you are. In fact I do keep 8 on the wife's SUV and 10 on my truck. Cold is just as hard on tires as the extreme heat of the southwest plus yearly temp swings from -30 to pushing +100 is really asking a lot of that rubber. Changing a tire at -30 is not something you want to do.

Every fall pop the hood and check your car over. Even if you aren't the mechanical type you can at least check the lines running from your radiator for signs of dry rot or damage. Breaking down can be deadly especially in a sparsely populated area.

Cabala's sells clothing with wind stop technology. I have tried some of it and it's pretty good. I'm sure competitors make something similar.

Wrap water bottles in towels and pack into a cooler. This will protect them from all but the worst of the cold.

Stick a couple Sterno cans and a Stove in the car somewhere. It can be used in the car to thaw frozen water and to keep you from freezing to death.

Last edited by Potawami II; 03-27-2018 at 04:06 AM.. Reason: Auto correct
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 07:21 AM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 12,192 Times in 2,977 Posts

ONE COLD weather thing I do plus it really saves vehicle electrical systems, as in you never have to replace any electrical parts, Seriously, I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with 170,000+ on it and nothing electrical ever goes wrong, same for the trucks.

I install a dual battery system in my vehicles, run them in parallel and NO isolator between them. In a regular car you might have to get creative for placement. Most truck or SUV types have room for a second under the hood. For my Wrangler I had to mount the second battery inside the passenger compartment behind me because I didn't want to go with those gelcell types that while fitting have a checkered reliability history. MY connection uses 2 gauge welding cable to carry the load. I replace the stock battery with 2 new matched Interstate batteries, you want new matched batteries so one does not act parasitic on the other.

Also having that much amperage parts are not damaged by having too little juice running to them which is very harmful to a veh electrical system.

I have been in northern Quebec caribou hunting when it was around -50 and windchill in -70 range one night. I had to jump every vehicle in the camp the next day, diesel or gas.

My vehicles always start no matter how cold

These are the type connectors I use. Most auto parts places sell them and they are great quick connect for things like winches or jumper cables etc...

https://www.parts-express.com/4-awg-...ector--263-192
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Plastics:
I live in North Central SD and am in the same boat with the water storage, if you find something that works you will have to let me know. As for the plastics what are they being used for? There are several different kinds and some are better than others for various tasks.
The Following User Says Thank You to average_sapien For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2018, 05:38 PM
Hunter

plastic storage totes, some old zip ties i had, but newer zip ties are fine. im told they bury the water lines 6 feet here, thats not a reasonable solution for me. only other thing i can think of is something like an aquarium heater with a solar backup. large containers, like 55 gallons should take a really long time to freeze.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:52 AM
Trapper

Thanked 1,415 Times in 547 Posts

I live in Central Oregon and struggle with water storage in the winter. One of the very last things I do every fall is rotate my 7-gallon water jugs and put them in the house. I have about 8 of them...enough to get me through a power outage, but nothing long term.

Here is my plan. This is one of my Spring/Summer projects.

We have a big shop. It does have a woodstove but it takes HOURS to heat up and it very cold in the winter. I am going to do one of two things this year.

Option one: buy a shipping container that fits across the back wall and outfit it with a heat source. Build shelves in a for water, paint, caulking and anything else that needs to stay above freezing.

Option two would be similar but build a storage area in the back of the shop. You could also use an insulated cargo trailer for this.

My long term plan is to build a Walipini (in ground greenhouse) and line the walls with 50 gallon drums. The theory here is the sun will warm during the day and they will keep the greenhouse warm at night. Still working on this, but it is on my list.

For paint, caulking, and other things normal people store in garages use an old refrigerator with a light bulb. Since they are sealed, the light bulb will keep it above freezing with minimal energy use.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdogmom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2018, 10:10 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,135 Times in 522 Posts

Polypropylene thermal underwear, pants and shirt, that clings tightly to your body over your underwear makes a huge difference.

Hands: Silk gloves, ski globes with outer mitten shells for hands.

Bottom: Underwear, thermal underwear pants, blue jeans, ski pants.

Top: Undershirt, thermal underwear shirt, long sleeved shirt, wool sweater, down jacket, windbreaker.

Head: Silk ski mask, thick polypropylene ski mask
The Following User Says Thank You to ConradCa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2018, 09:34 AM
Homesteader

Thanked 5,124 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote:
on the inside of the rims, not something i could just knock out.
Take it to the car wash
The Following User Says Thank You to Gulcher For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2018, 12:26 PM
TEXAS!!!

Thanked 11,391 Times in 4,385 Posts

Quote:

Storage of batteries:

Duct tape:

Clothing:

Plastics:

Frozen mud in my tires:
Answer:
Move to Texas.
Old 03-30-2018, 04:05 PM
Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulcher View Post
Take it to the car wash
there are no open car wash stations when its that cold
Old 03-30-2018, 04:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 13,532 Times in 4,684 Posts

We did not have -30 here, but we live in SW Virginia, where it is NOT supposed to be -5 for a week. We were not prepared for this sort of cold. This winter has been hard and we had a hard time. Thankfully we didn't lose any animals except one goat kid that was deformed anyway.

Things we are definitely doing different next winter ( um, if this one IS over...we had 2 feet of snow last week...)
Absolutely NO goat kids or lambs until April ( the fencing is going to be fixed , even if we have to put a 8 ft electric prison fence around the property)

MORE firewood

We are going to stop heating water in pots and put in a proper hot water heater ( attached to a wood stove)

Space heater in milk house

more solar panels so we don't have to drag the generator from the barn to the house ( a steep slope on dirt road) and back ( no power at barn, no power at house for most of March due to snow, lightening and wind, not kidding , still not fixed)

Stock up on WAY MORE hay and straw earlier

this is a big one, work on getting son a 4wd, so he can get to school and work and back
The Following User Says Thank You to sonya1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2018, 05:25 PM
reluctant sinner

Thanked 29,559 Times in 10,295 Posts

You need to wax the areas that you don't want mud to stick to before winter like at Thanksgiving. I spray my door gaskets with WD-40 then too so my doors don't freeze shut. I spray the lock mechanism too. Never use your emergency brake to park for long as it can also freeze and render you car inoperable.

Carry a small ice chest. Put in hot water bottles, it will say liquid for the day, take it in at night.

-30 isn't all cold. Maybe you should look at different container materials, such as metal, wood and fabric instead of plastic.

Don't fill the water storage containers and just let them freeze.

Keep your battery charged - cut and pasted - Good chance a frozen lead acid battery is ruined by the physical damage. Charging when frozen could rupture it due to hydrogen gas generated can't easily escape until it blows.
At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature drops to approximately -16 degrees F. When a battery is fully charged the electrolyte will not freeze until the temperature drops to approximately -92 degrees F.

Its not just your hat. You need work all your clothing layers and your work output to keep from sweating. Having a towel to mop up the sweat off your head keeps it from running down into your shirt and then pants.

Lithium cells due better in the cold, they cost more or you could just take your stuff inside every night instead of leaving it to freeze.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:23 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,230 Posts

Quote:

Storage of batteries:
Not unreasonable to store a lead acid battery in your car. If that was the case, many people would have a heck of a time starting up in the winter. I don't know whether it kills a battery worse trying to charge it while it's frozen, but discharging it, and then getting it real good and cold usually does it.

I haven't had too much problem that I can recall storing NiCad batteries, in the cold. I'm sure I've had them below -40 with no ill effects. Though they really don't last long in the cold. Lithium Ion are much better at being freeze proof.

Have not read many good reviews on many of the jump starters. And usually the combo deals cheap out on all the add ons.

I carry good lights, and a decent air compressor. Wish I could tell you what brand, but saying it's a Motomaster "Deluxe" (or something) from Canadian Tire probably won't mean much. I also carry a spare or two for battery connections. Along with jumpers, it's probably a better bet to just carry a spare battery, and make sure it's charged up now and then.

Keeping the terminals clean and running a good pure synthetic oil makes all the difference in the cold.

Quote:
Storage where? You could just fill part way and let it freeze, or if you have electricity to burn, a pail heater will keep it warm.

Quote:
Duct tape:
Depends a little on the brand I think. Tuck tape is better, but at -30 C not much is good, and at -50 C I don't think there is anything that will work.

Quote:
Clothing:
Vents and layers. Leather and wool works well, but there is nothing wrong with synthetics now, other than they don't work great if you get them wet.

Quote:
Plastics:
Frozen mud in my tires:

Probably polyethylene. Some of it (maybe all?) is good at very cold temperatures.

Quote:
If you have big tires, it's a huge help to have them bead balanced. The beads inside self balance and really make up for the errant clump of mud.

I have used a spray lube, on the inside of the rim, and it seems to help.

Just noticed that I am commenting in a South Dakota section. Hope it's okay that I am commenting from somewhere colder...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2018, 07:44 PM
Semper Fi

Thanked 17,653 Times in 5,481 Posts

How much water are you wanting to store? Bury a cistern about 6 feet down and it will never freeze. Keep the plumbing for it at the same depth until it can be brought above ground in a warmer area such as a basement/crawlspace.

Wool and synthetics work well at keeping you warm but wool works better when wet. Layers of clothes are what you are looking for. Layers that you ACTIVELY manage, as in taking off some items as you warm up from exertion BEFORE you start sweating and then putting them back on as you cool down.

Also you need things like underarm vents you can open in your wind/waterproof outer layer to aid in removing excess moisture and providing a way to vent heat when conditions don't allow for removal of the outer layer.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:20 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,162 Times in 386 Posts

i grew up in SD from 1979 to 1991, from 10 years old to 22. i remember playing outside in -30, -40 through the day. the coldest ive ever been out in was , i think the winter of 88/89, february i believe, with the windchill it came to 80 below. that day i had to walk about a mile to the bank & store. the oil in my pan turned to vaseline, we had to drag the car behind my dads in gear to get it to warm up enough.