surplus 5.56? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files


Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Military Surplus trailhiker499 Reviews and questions 32 09-14-2016 06:20 PM
Surplus 9mm Lead Pistol and Revolver Forum 25 11-18-2012 03:20 AM
surplus stores so.cal.eric Reviews and questions 10 11-14-2011 10:43 AM
Identify this mil surplus bag- what's it for? CrypticCRICKET Military Weapons Forum 6 10-26-2011 02:15 PM
Which mil-surplus pack? Nolan.Sackett Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 27 04-12-2011 11:54 AM
Mil Surplus Steiners ??? PolishX Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 06-14-2010 08:57 PM
Surplus 30.06 kenxkillz Firearms General Discussion 17 05-07-2010 03:52 PM
gunny's surplus jfirebalrog Reviews and questions 17 03-23-2010 09:37 PM
Surplus gun Heaven Newwavenightmare Rifle Forum 16 09-14-2009 03:34 PM
military surplus chesterfield84 British Isles and ROI 16 08-26-2009 09:58 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2009, 06:38 PM
kenxkillz kenxkillz is offline
In a pile of brass
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Best place on earth
Age: 26
Posts: 3,776
Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,649 Times in 863 Posts
Default surplus 5.56?



Advertise Here

is anyone expecting to see any surplus 5.56 after were done in iraq / afghanistan? I have heard people say they will just release warehouses full of it, and i have heard people say they will destroy it all "so it doesnt go to africa" (like they did with my damn .303!!!!)

anyone got any insiders, or opinions?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 06:50 PM
GoodOlFroathyOne's Avatar
GoodOlFroathyOne GoodOlFroathyOne is offline
11B20 - Status Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Age: 40
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 3,497
Thanked 4,995 Times in 2,346 Posts
Default

I am guessing that they will have to rebuild a war-time stock pile, as you saw how quickly they went through the last stockpile.

I wouldn't expect to see any. Especially since it is still in use. Now in 15-years time when these wars are over, lol, maybe they will replace the 5.56 and you will see a flood of milsurp.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM
kenxkillz kenxkillz is offline
In a pile of brass
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Best place on earth
Age: 26
Posts: 3,776
Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,649 Times in 863 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOlFroathyOne View Post
I am guessing that they will have to rebuild a war-time stock pile, as you saw how quickly they went through the last stockpile.

I wouldn't expect to see any. Especially since it is still in use. Now in 15-years time when these wars are over, lol, maybe they will replace the 5.56 and you will see a flood of milsurp.
gosh, i guess the "best" thing that could happen for us gun owners, is they switch to 6.8mm or .308

just another reason every soldier doesnt need a automatic weapon, just encourages spray and pray.... im pretty sure i saw on military channel in WWII with the M1 it was like 20,000 rounds per kill. and when they introduced the M16 it went up to something like 150,000!!!

i think if most soldiers had semi auto weapons they would actually aim and not just spray (look on liveleak, there is alot of spraying going on in all those videos).... but i would want a full auto M4 if i was out there
Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
madcritter's Avatar
madcritter madcritter is offline
Here's my safety Sir
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: SE Coastal NC
Posts: 14,679
Thanks: 12,348
Thanked 20,734 Times in 7,374 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxkillz View Post
gosh, i guess the "best" thing that could happen for us gun owners, is they switch to 6.8mm or .308

just another reason every soldier doesnt need a automatic weapon, just encourages spray and pray.... im pretty sure i saw on military channel in WWII with the M1 it was like 20,000 rounds per kill. and when they introduced the M16 it went up to something like 150,000!!!

i think if most soldiers had semi auto weapons they would actually aim and not just spray (look on liveleak, there is alot of spraying going on in all those videos).... but i would want a full auto M4 if i was out there
I reload my 223 so no problems here and my brass is free. But my AR15 I am building now is 6.8SPC
__________________
Ride hard you can rest when you die
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM
kenxkillz kenxkillz is offline
In a pile of brass
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Best place on earth
Age: 26
Posts: 3,776
Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,649 Times in 863 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcritter View Post
I reload my 223 so no problems here and my brass is free. But my AR15 I am building now is 6.8SPC
dont you get raped on 6.8 prices?

and mags?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
GoodOlFroathyOne's Avatar
GoodOlFroathyOne GoodOlFroathyOne is offline
11B20 - Status Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Age: 40
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 3,497
Thanked 4,995 Times in 2,346 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxkillz View Post
gosh, i guess the "best" thing that could happen for us gun owners, is they switch to 6.8mm or .308

just another reason every soldier doesnt need a automatic weapon, just encourages spray and pray.... im pretty sure i saw on military channel in WWII with the M1 it was like 20,000 rounds per kill. and when they introduced the M16 it went up to something like 150,000!!!

i think if most soldiers had semi auto weapons they would actually aim and not just spray (look on liveleak, there is alot of spraying going on in all those videos).... but i would want a full auto M4 if i was out there
Actually, most soldiers (at least in the army) don't have automatic m16/m4's.

In my section, anti-armor infantry, we had 3xm4 (semi/burst), 1xm4 w/m203 (semi/burst), 2xm249 (full auto). Crew served were 1xm2 and 1xMk19 and 2xTOW systems.

I for one never used the burst mode on my rifle, I am pretty sure most of the other people didn't bother with burst either. To be perfectly honest, as a squad leader I never really had an opportunity to fire my own weapon, too busy with a radio in my ear and directing fire.

I think the ratio of rounds down range to targets down is more to do with the nature of the change of warfare as much as to do with full auto capabilities.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 PM
kenxkillz kenxkillz is offline
In a pile of brass
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Best place on earth
Age: 26
Posts: 3,776
Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,649 Times in 863 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOlFroathyOne View Post
Actually, most soldiers (at least in the army) don't have automatic m16/m4's.

In my section, anti-armor infantry, we had 3xm4 (semi/burst), 1xm4 w/m203 (semi/burst), 2xm249 (full auto). Crew served were 1xm2 and 1xMk19 and 2xTOW systems.

I for one never used the burst mode on my rifle, I am pretty sure most of the other people didn't bother with burst either. To be perfectly honest, as a squad leader I never really had an opportunity to fire my own weapon, too busy with a radio in my ear and directing fire.

I think the ratio of rounds down range to targets down is more to do with the nature of the change of warfare as much as to do with full auto capabilities.
but dont you think if someone is scared and has a weapon which fires more than one round per trigger pull, they will start shooting semi-randomly/sporatically? where as with a weapon such as an M1 garand, each shot has to be carefully aimed and fired, because only one round leaves the barrel, and you cant use "bracketing" fire? (i think bracketing is the term... firing lots of rounds in the hopes that one hits? not quite spray and pray, but not aimed.)
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 PM
GoodOlFroathyOne's Avatar
GoodOlFroathyOne GoodOlFroathyOne is offline
11B20 - Status Inactive
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New York
Age: 40
Posts: 5,036
Thanks: 3,497
Thanked 4,995 Times in 2,346 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxkillz View Post
but dont you think if someone is scared and has a weapon which fires more than one round per trigger pull, they will start shooting semi-randomly/sporatically? where as with a weapon such as an M1 garand, each shot has to be carefully aimed and fired, because only one round leaves the barrel, and you cant use "bracketing" fire? (i think bracketing is the term... firing lots of rounds in the hopes that one hits? not quite spray and pray, but not aimed.)
Maybe, but I am far too much of a micromanager to allow any of that business in my squad :D

I wouldn't want some idiot standing next to me to just start firing at a target that he doesn't know where it is. I think that cases where you find that happening someone is not controlling their squads fire, which is more of a leadership issue and not a issue of being able to drop a belt of ammo.

I mean if fire is coming from a window from a building two blocks away, by all means open up on that window for a good 10-15 sec. If the fire starts again open up on it more and take the walls down. If it is still coming from that window I want to know why there is still a window left to shoot out of and why someone hasn't put a few mk19 rounds into that thing

Oh ya... I guess the above makes your point lol. But I guess that is how/why rounds get burnt. But it is also as I said the difference in the type of fighting your facing. I mean it is not like there is a definitive battle line drawn where you can go out and attack your enemy. It is someone hiding and taking pock shots at you from a concealed/covered position that requires a little finessing to get them.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodOlFroathyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 PM
greenhorn's Avatar
greenhorn greenhorn is offline
Survivor
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: western washington
Posts: 4,732
Thanks: 3,234
Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,836 Posts
Default

We'll be lucky to see Mil surplus, 5 years after we are done having our troops overseas, in combat.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 PM
pete7469's Avatar
pete7469 pete7469 is offline
Destroyer of Marxism.
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The Real World
Posts: 875
Thanks: 2,124
Thanked 1,372 Times in 448 Posts
Default

It depends on the civilian leadership. If we can get rid of the chicago fascist thug regime we have now, mil-surp will probably happen. As it is now we had to raise hell to sell us back our brass.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 57
Posts: 64,589
Thanks: 131,741
Thanked 155,279 Times in 45,081 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

The US doesn't sell surplus ammo to the retail market anymore. In years past, they allowed it to be disassembled. Some companies reassembled it and resold it. Now, Federal and some of the companies that produce the ammo for the military may have contract overruns that make the market at a lower price. But we'll never see the actual surplus stuff.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 PM
kenxkillz kenxkillz is offline
In a pile of brass
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Best place on earth
Age: 26
Posts: 3,776
Thanks: 1,796
Thanked 1,649 Times in 863 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The US doesn't sell surplus ammo to the retail market anymore. In years past, they allowed it to be disassembled. Some companies reassembled it and resold it. Now, Federal and some of the companies that produce the ammo for the military may have contract overruns that make the market at a lower price. But we'll never see the actual surplus stuff.
yes they do??? the U.S Govt. is still selling surplus 30.06 from WWII through www.odcmp.com
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Nightside_Eclipse's Avatar
Nightside_Eclipse Nightside_Eclipse is offline
Take me out to the black
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Albany, GA
Posts: 3,030
Thanks: 1,542
Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,290 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxkillz View Post
but dont you think if someone is scared and has a weapon which fires more than one round per trigger pull, they will start shooting semi-randomly/sporatically? where as with a weapon such as an M1 garand, each shot has to be carefully aimed and fired, because only one round leaves the barrel, and you cant use "bracketing" fire? (i think bracketing is the term... firing lots of rounds in the hopes that one hits? not quite spray and pray, but not aimed.)
If they are untrained they might. But they won't live long.

I'm sure there was plenty of spraying and praying going on during WWII with M1 Garands.

You can't fix software problems with hardware.
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 11:08 PM
MikeK's Avatar
MikeK MikeK is offline
Walking methane refinery
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 57
Posts: 64,589
Thanks: 131,741
Thanked 155,279 Times in 45,081 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxkillz View Post
yes they do??? the U.S Govt. is still selling surplus 30.06 from WWII through www.odcmp.com
That's old stuff that was already in the surplus supply line. A few years back they used to sell surplus ammo direct. .223, .308, 9mm, .50 BMG, you name it. I'm still sitting on many cases of .30-06 and .308 Lake City match ammo.

Then they went to a different model, where the ammo had to be pulled apart first, and the components sold. I used to buy a lot of surplus brass, bullets and powder that way. Companies sprung up to recombine those components and sell the ammo. Then that dried up.

Now it's hard just to get surplus fired brass. There's no pulled bullets or powder at all anymore.
Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks



Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Survivalist Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Gender
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © Kevin Felts 2006 - 2015,
Green theme by http://www.themesbydesign.net