surplus 5.56? - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Military Surplus trailhiker499 Reviews and questions 32 09-14-2016 06:20 PM
Surplus 9mm Lead Pistol and Revolver Forum 25 11-18-2012 03:20 AM
surplus stores so.cal.eric Reviews and questions 10 11-14-2011 10:43 AM
Identify this mil surplus bag- what's it for? CrypticCRICKET Military Weapons Forum 6 10-26-2011 02:15 PM
Which mil-surplus pack? Nolan.Sackett Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum 27 04-12-2011 11:54 AM
Mil Surplus Steiners ??? PolishX Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 3 06-14-2010 08:57 PM
Surplus 30.06 kenxkillz Firearms General Discussion 17 05-07-2010 03:52 PM
gunny's surplus jfirebalrog Reviews and questions 17 03-23-2010 09:37 PM
Surplus gun Heaven Newwavenightmare Rifle Forum 16 09-14-2009 03:34 PM
military surplus chesterfield84 British Isles and ROI 16 08-26-2009 09:58 AM

Old 09-13-2009, 06:38 PM
In a pile of brass

Thanked 1,649 Times in 863 Posts
Default surplus 5.56?

Advertise Here

is anyone expecting to see any surplus 5.56 after were done in iraq / afghanistan? I have heard people say they will just release warehouses full of it, and i have heard people say they will destroy it all "so it doesnt go to africa" (like they did with my damn .303!!!!)

anyone got any insiders, or opinions?
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 06:50 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,995 Times in 2,346 Posts

I am guessing that they will have to rebuild a war-time stock pile, as you saw how quickly they went through the last stockpile.

I wouldn't expect to see any. Especially since it is still in use. Now in 15-years time when these wars are over, lol, maybe they will replace the 5.56 and you will see a flood of milsurp.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:46 PM
In a pile of brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOlFroathyOne View Post
I am guessing that they will have to rebuild a war-time stock pile, as you saw how quickly they went through the last stockpile.

I wouldn't expect to see any. Especially since it is still in use. Now in 15-years time when these wars are over, lol, maybe they will replace the 5.56 and you will see a flood of milsurp.
gosh, i guess the "best" thing that could happen for us gun owners, is they switch to 6.8mm or .308

just another reason every soldier doesnt need a automatic weapon, just encourages spray and pray.... im pretty sure i saw on military channel in WWII with the M1 it was like 20,000 rounds per kill. and when they introduced the M16 it went up to something like 150,000!!!

i think if most soldiers had semi auto weapons they would actually aim and not just spray (look on liveleak, there is alot of spraying going on in all those videos).... but i would want a full auto M4 if i was out there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 07:50 PM
Here's my safety Sir

Thanked 20,734 Times in 7,374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxkillz View Post
gosh, i guess the "best" thing that could happen for us gun owners, is they switch to 6.8mm or .308

just another reason every soldier doesnt need a automatic weapon, just encourages spray and pray.... im pretty sure i saw on military channel in WWII with the M1 it was like 20,000 rounds per kill. and when they introduced the M16 it went up to something like 150,000!!!

i think if most soldiers had semi auto weapons they would actually aim and not just spray (look on liveleak, there is alot of spraying going on in all those videos).... but i would want a full auto M4 if i was out there
I reload my 223 so no problems here and my brass is free. But my AR15 I am building now is 6.8SPC
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up totally worn out and loudly proclaiming man what a ride!
Save The The Montagnard People
Old 09-13-2009, 08:16 PM
In a pile of brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcritter View Post
I reload my 223 so no problems here and my brass is free. But my AR15 I am building now is 6.8SPC
dont you get raped on 6.8 prices?

and mags?
Old 09-13-2009, 09:24 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Quote:

Actually, most soldiers (at least in the army) don't have automatic m16/m4's.

In my section, anti-armor infantry, we had 3xm4 (semi/burst), 1xm4 w/m203 (semi/burst), 2xm249 (full auto). Crew served were 1xm2 and 1xMk19 and 2xTOW systems.

I for one never used the burst mode on my rifle, I am pretty sure most of the other people didn't bother with burst either. To be perfectly honest, as a squad leader I never really had an opportunity to fire my own weapon, too busy with a radio in my ear and directing fire.

I think the ratio of rounds down range to targets down is more to do with the nature of the change of warfare as much as to do with full auto capabilities.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:31 PM
In a pile of brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOlFroathyOne View Post
Actually, most soldiers (at least in the army) don't have automatic m16/m4's.

In my section, anti-armor infantry, we had 3xm4 (semi/burst), 1xm4 w/m203 (semi/burst), 2xm249 (full auto). Crew served were 1xm2 and 1xMk19 and 2xTOW systems.

I for one never used the burst mode on my rifle, I am pretty sure most of the other people didn't bother with burst either. To be perfectly honest, as a squad leader I never really had an opportunity to fire my own weapon, too busy with a radio in my ear and directing fire.

I think the ratio of rounds down range to targets down is more to do with the nature of the change of warfare as much as to do with full auto capabilities.
but dont you think if someone is scared and has a weapon which fires more than one round per trigger pull, they will start shooting semi-randomly/sporatically? where as with a weapon such as an M1 garand, each shot has to be carefully aimed and fired, because only one round leaves the barrel, and you cant use "bracketing" fire? (i think bracketing is the term... firing lots of rounds in the hopes that one hits? not quite spray and pray, but not aimed.)
Old 09-13-2009, 09:42 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Quote:
but dont you think if someone is scared and has a weapon which fires more than one round per trigger pull, they will start shooting semi-randomly/sporatically? where as with a weapon such as an M1 garand, each shot has to be carefully aimed and fired, because only one round leaves the barrel, and you cant use "bracketing" fire? (i think bracketing is the term... firing lots of rounds in the hopes that one hits? not quite spray and pray, but not aimed.)
Maybe, but I am far too much of a micromanager to allow any of that business in my squad :D

I wouldn't want some idiot standing next to me to just start firing at a target that he doesn't know where it is. I think that cases where you find that happening someone is not controlling their squads fire, which is more of a leadership issue and not a issue of being able to drop a belt of ammo.

I mean if fire is coming from a window from a building two blocks away, by all means open up on that window for a good 10-15 sec. If the fire starts again open up on it more and take the walls down. If it is still coming from that window I want to know why there is still a window left to shoot out of and why someone hasn't put a few mk19 rounds into that thing

Oh ya... I guess the above makes your point lol. But I guess that is how/why rounds get burnt. But it is also as I said the difference in the type of fighting your facing. I mean it is not like there is a definitive battle line drawn where you can go out and attack your enemy. It is someone hiding and taking pock shots at you from a concealed/covered position that requires a little finessing to get them.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodOlFroathyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2009, 10:11 PM
Survivor

Thanked 3,460 Times in 1,836 Posts

We'll be lucky to see Mil surplus, 5 years after we are done having our troops overseas, in combat.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:56 PM
Destroyer of Marxism.

Thanked 1,372 Times in 448 Posts

It depends on the civilian leadership. If we can get rid of the chicago fascist thug regime we have now, mil-surp will probably happen. As it is now we had to raise hell to sell us back our brass.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:51 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 155,279 Times in 45,081 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

The US doesn't sell surplus ammo to the retail market anymore. In years past, they allowed it to be disassembled. Some companies reassembled it and resold it. Now, Federal and some of the companies that produce the ammo for the military may have contract overruns that make the market at a lower price. But we'll never see the actual surplus stuff.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:09 PM
In a pile of brass

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
The US doesn't sell surplus ammo to the retail market anymore. In years past, they allowed it to be disassembled. Some companies reassembled it and resold it. Now, Federal and some of the companies that produce the ammo for the military may have contract overruns that make the market at a lower price. But we'll never see the actual surplus stuff.
yes they do??? the U.S Govt. is still selling surplus 30.06 from WWII through www.odcmp.com
Old 09-14-2009, 03:26 PM
Take me out to the black

Thanked 2,842 Times in 1,290 Posts

Quote:
If they are untrained they might. But they won't live long.

I'm sure there was plenty of spraying and praying going on during WWII with M1 Garands.

You can't fix software problems with hardware.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:08 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 155,279 Times in 45,081 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
yes they do??? the U.S Govt. is still selling surplus 30.06 from WWII through www.odcmp.com
That's old stuff that was already in the surplus supply line. A few years back they used to sell surplus ammo direct. .223, .308, 9mm, .50 BMG, you name it. I'm still sitting on many cases of .30-06 and .308 Lake City match ammo.

Then they went to a different model, where the ammo had to be pulled apart first, and the components sold. I used to buy a lot of surplus brass, bullets and powder that way. Companies sprung up to recombine those components and sell the ammo. Then that dried up.

Now it's hard just to get surplus fired brass. There's no pulled bullets or powder at all anymore.