MKA 1919 12 gauge - game changer for me - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Shotgun Forum Mossberg, Winchester, Remington, Benelli....

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tesla PowerWall will be a game changer willthrill81 DIY - Do It Yourself 249 09-29-2015 06:53 AM
Flir RS64 1.1X9 A Game Changer Starblaster General Discussion 9 01-11-2015 08:23 PM
Game changer, airless wheels for your BOV John_Auberry Urban Survival 21 11-20-2014 10:23 AM
What is the one thing, of the many, that You really think is the game-changer Gear-Head General Discussion 9 04-13-2014 08:09 AM
US Navy 'game-changer': converting seawater into fuel Creek Walker General Discussion 40 04-09-2014 10:02 AM
Akdal 1919 12 Gauge ?AR-15? Shotgun AllOutdoor.com AllOutdoor.com 0 11-13-2013 10:30 AM
Game Changer Long Shot Financial Forum 3 01-24-2012 11:21 AM
25mm Airburst Rifle - Game changer for military txflyer Military Weapons Forum 18 12-03-2011 11:02 AM
Acid Hurricanes... Game Changer? mn3285 Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 0 06-03-2010 04:01 AM
This Will Be A Game Changer On The High Seas Pixelguy Military Weapons Forum 13 12-16-2009 07:01 PM

Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 PM
Wish I'd taken blue pill

Default MKA 1919 12 gauge - game changer for me

Advertise Here

The competition I attended in September with my SPAS12 semi auto 12 gauge:
- Finished 23 of 26.

This was a typical shotgun match finishing place for me.
I got similar placings using my Remington 870.
Basically, I was crap.

Then I gets me an MKA 1919.
The day after I got it, I went to the range and shot 150 rounds through it to break it in. This is suggested in the manual and was definitely needed.
Now I can run cheap Federal wallymart ammo (1200 FPS) in the 10 round mags.

The following day, I went to a shotgun competition and finished:
- 3rd based on Total match time
- 1st based on Total stage points

The day after that, I went to another shotgun event:
- Finished 4th of 20 overall
- Finished 1st in the open class
- Got the fastest time of the competition on one of the four stages

The 1919 cost me $579.
The 10 round magazines cost $79.
3 mags are needed for these competitions.
Total cost: $579 + $79 + $79 + $79 = $816
In the last competition where I finished 4th, the guy who finished 8th, was shooting a Red Jacket Saiga 12 which cost him $1900.

I'm using two different MOLLE communication pouches (Fox and Condor) as magazine pouches for the 1919 10 round mags.
I have modified them slightly so I can actually close them securely.

The best info I have been able to find says that this shotgun has 14 922R parts on it.
That means 4 parts needs to be replaced with US made parts for it to be 922R compliant out of the box.

I think this will be the last shotgun I ever have to buy.
Thinking of buying another one as a hedge against possible changes in firearms laws in the future.

Quick reply to this message
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sig226 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2012, 10:58 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,337 Times in 826 Posts

Congrats!
Glad to hear your getting great results.

I'm wondering if you've pinned down the reason why you've improved with this shotgun over your others?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM
Wish I'd taken blue pill

60% improvement due to fast reloading
35% improvement due to Eotech
5% improvement due to familiarity of AR15 platform

The reloading is so simple and fast I almost feel guilty.
Even the Saiga guy was at a disadvantage because he had to get his 'rock & lock' AK style mag change correct to keep up with my time.

The carry handle can be removed to reveal a regular picatinny rail flat top.
I threw an Eotech on there and also removed the front site post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Hiker

I'm not surprised, although I'm not into competition. But I do know the AKDAL, having one of my own. And to tell the truth, I turn to it quicker now, than to my two converted Saiga 12s.

Unfortunately, it seems to me, the MKA 1919 hasn't yet been carried to its peak of possible performance in that manufacturers haven't been near so avid to provide upgrade parts for the AKDAL as for the Saiga. Maybe time will fix this situation.

I won't be getting rid of mine, that's for doggoned certain.
Old 11-19-2012, 11:56 PM
Wish I'd taken blue pill

I'm not really into the competitive element of these shooting events like others are.
I go to them for the training.
Plus, once you have gotton the chance to knock down metal targets while moving, kneeling down etc, going to an indoor range and shooting at paper targets is just too boring.
The only interest I have in looking at the results is as a gauge to see if I am improving at all.

I think the popularity the 1919 will increase, now that the factory 10 round mags are finally available.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:09 PM

Congratulations I have had similar results with my Saiga 12, I'll admitt I have a lot more into my S-12 but when I bought it, the Saiga was the only game in town for a magazine fed shotgun.

The gun in the picture was converted/modified by myself I'd not pay red jacket or anyone else to modify my S-12 it's easy, don't get me wrong I like Will but I'd never pay that much for such a simple job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Topmaul For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 PM

As a Saiga guy I'm glad to see another mag fed shotgun on the market I just wish it was made by an American company. At anyrate I don't see this as superior to my mag well equipped Saiga but it is a less expensive alternitive and I'm good with that.

My S12 has been modified a little more since those pix were taken
Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Wish I'd taken blue pill

Smile

I think it will be a long time (if ever) that a fully modified 1919 would be considered superior to a 'performance tuned' S12.
There are so many more aftermarket parts available for the S12.
The big advantage the 1919 has is that it is so familiar to an AR-15 user.
All that muscle memory from the rifle can be used on your shotgun.
This is irrelevant if your rifle is an AK style of course.

I went to a shotgun competition on Saturday.
After the first stage I was told that they had 'forgotten' to mention the rule that a dropped magazine cannot have any rounds in it.
Yeah, right, whatever dude.

Then on Sunday at a 3-gun competition, myself and the Saiga 12 entrant caused the rules of the match to be changed halfway through the match.
They decided to let the other shot-gunners load their tubes to capacity so they had a chance to keep up.
One of the RO's actually suggested that the box fed shot-gunners should be made to load their mags at the start of the stage.

Let me get on my soapbox at this point.
All you non box fed shot-gunners out there.
Time to stop the whining and bitching.
This is not exclusive equipment only available to a chosen few.
Any of you can get an S12 or an S20 or an S410 and now a 1919.
If you can't keep up in casual competitions then maybe it's time to look at the equipment that's slowing you down?
You remind me of the English longbow-men who got their panties in a twist when the crossbow first came out.

Rant over.

I came first in the 3-gun.
The Saiga guy came 3rd due to a major rifle malfunction.
We didn't get to shoot against each other during the competition.
I can see a special comrade'ry developing between the box fed shot-gunners now.
It's a them against us thing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sig226 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 05:01 AM
I love this forum

Thanked 7,626 Times in 3,138 Posts

Sounds like ya'll a bunch of NASCAR racers whining about how much weight the rules make you carry so the crowd gets to watch a competitive event.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:05 PM

Among us box fed shotgun shooters we will have a freindly rivalry like the AR/AK debate. Like I said I have no problem with the AR style Shotgun if forces Izhmash to improve the Saiga quality and options so it's good to have another weapon like the S-12 on the block and in competition.

I understand your muscle memory point and agree with it at least to some extent. The AR rifle/AR style shotgun makes a lot of sence.

So I welcome more competition in the box mag shotgun arena.

Where do you shoot 3 gun? Saiga 12s are plentyful here in the Seattle area? It seems that the shooters in your neck of the woods are a bit behind the times.

Oh and dropping a magazine with rounds in it is an IDPA BULL CR_P rule that I have been dinged on also.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Topmaul For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Wish I'd taken blue pill

Let me clarify.
The rivalry I see is not Saiga versus 1919 - it's box fed shotguns versus everything else.

I do 3-gun and shotgun events in the DFW area.
I cannot believe there aren't more Saigas and 1919s.
Maybe you are right in that it's a 'good old boy' attitude to not want to 'adopt, adapt and improve'?
Old 12-13-2012, 08:38 PM
Wish I'd taken blue pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topmaul View Post
Oh and dropping a magazine with rounds in it is an IDPA BULL CR_P rule that I have been dinged on also.
"You don't have to have OCD to shoot IDPA, but it helps"

How fair is that - to have a penalty that only the Saigas and 1919s can receive?
If that's the case then the others should get a penalty each time they drop a live shell on the ground.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:04 AM
Shotgunner

Congrats! Ill always be a saiga guy, although I wouldnt mind trying a 1919.
Old 12-14-2012, 07:39 PM

I used to shoot in a club monthly Tactical Shotgun Match and there were about half a dozen Saiga shooters there. We called pumps flintlocks, and semi-autos percussion caps caps, basically we considerd tube feeders obsilite. And those shooters gave us a bunch of good natured garbage back. It was all friendly. We were all there for a good time shooting together.

Still most of those guys stuck with the pump or semi auto.

But the speed loader guys did eventually see the light of the Saiga and swithched to that remember this was 4 to 6 years ago. So there was no MKA 1919 at that time of course.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
I'm your Huckleberry

Thanks to the forum and members for info on this weapon. I ordered one yesterday and was re-thinking it today but no more. Counting the days until arrival! Time to sell a M-berg 500 or three
Old 10-12-2014, 06:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,918 Times in 3,218 Posts

Hate to dredge up old threads but looking to pick one of these up for cheap. Any new noteworthy developments on these and anxious to hear from 3gunners on how these stack next to a vepr12 or saiga.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:44 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,708 Times in 1,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoplite59 View Post
Hate to dredge up old threads but looking to pick one of these up for cheap. Any new noteworthy developments on these and anxious to hear from 3gunners on how these stack next to a vepr12 or saiga.
I saw the first ones to come in at SHOT Show 5 years ago. They are a good gun but could benefit from much wider use and adoption. I know that Tony Rumore of Tromix- who does a bunch of Saiga work, has done some AKDAL 1919 work. His work is top notch and he has some really good innovations for it.

You just don't see much about them over the last two years or so. They made kind of a big splash 3-4 years ago and then pretty much dried up. Centerfire Systems is selling them new for $400 which seems like a bargain. My real concern with them would be spare parts.....I don't think there is much in the way of aftermarket or factory support...

Tromix-http://www.tromix.com/mka-parts.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawyerman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Have gun,will travel

Thanked 7,363 Times in 2,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawyerman View Post
I saw the first ones to come in at SHOT Show 5 years ago. They are a good gun but could benefit from much wider use and adoption. I know that Tony Rumore of Tromix- who does a bunch of Saiga work, has done some AKDAL 1919 work. His work is top notch and he has some really good innovations for it.

You just don't see much about them over the last two years or so. They made kind of a big splash 3-4 years ago and then pretty much dried up. Centerfire Systems is selling them new for $400 which seems like a bargain. My real concern with them would be spare parts.....I don't think there is much in the way of aftermarket or factory support...

Tromix-http://www.tromix.com/mka-parts.htm
Me too. I will say that I am pretty impressed with them. A friend has one (with the super-scary skulls on it ), and it is reliable with everything from birdshot to buckshot. He's brought it out to the range a few times and I've never seen it malfunction.
The Following User Says Thank You to *Paladin* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,708 Times in 1,397 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Paladin* View Post
Me too. I will say that I am pretty impressed with them. A friend has one (with the super-scary skulls on it ), and it is reliable with everything from birdshot to buckshot. He's brought it out to the range a few times and I've never seen it malfunction.
I've shot one and I liked it. I really wish someone would take on the Akdal as a project and see where the platform could go....

I am committed though to my Saigas, the parts interchange with Ak's (fire controls anyway) and the large number of companies supporting them make them a better current choice for me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lawyerman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 03:55 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,918 Times in 3,218 Posts

Lawyerman & Paladin,

Thank you for the input ! The $399 price tag at CFS caught my attention. However I've read quite a few negative reviews on this shotgun, lack of after market gear and it's made by Turks which keeps me from buying it, being of Greek descent. Probably going to stick to my SAIGA & VEPR 12 for 3 gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to hoplite59 For This Useful Post: