Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Gas Mask To Buy IceAge55 Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 135 02-05-2018 07:16 PM
om-10 gas mask? mohawkpunkid Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 30 12-16-2017 06:48 PM
M40 gas mask or FM12 gas mask MissKraig Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 7 05-20-2015 10:53 AM
MSA MCU-2/P gas mask? TheGuyThatIsPrepared Looking for - want to buy 15 02-11-2014 02:29 PM
Gas Mask that fits in US Gas Mask Bag from ALICE era ('73-'90s) Steam_Power_Prepper Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 4 02-03-2014 04:59 PM
Gas mask kestak Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 5 01-22-2013 08:18 PM
NBC Gas Mask Filter C2A1 for M40 Gas Mask retroscavenger Site Information & Suggestion Box 1 09-06-2012 09:31 PM
Gas Mask angrytaylor Nuclear, Biological and Chemical (NBC) Survival 33 07-26-2012 02:36 PM

Old 04-27-2019, 06:06 PM
Emergency Planner

Thanked 4,015 Times in 1,607 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoSay View Post
FWIW, unofficial protocol for responding to an H2S alarm when your PPE was not within arm's length was to hold your breath and run upwind until you passed out face down in the dirt. I knew a guy that survived H2S by doing just that when other's died going for their PPE. Fate can be a fickle bitch.

That actually makes a helluva lot of sense.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to CONELRAD For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 03:10 PM
Survivor

Thanked 17,920 Times in 7,970 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoSay View Post
For the record, I've come trust CONELRAD's judgment and assessment when it comes to all things CBRN and if his advice is contrary to my suggestions above I concede the point without sarcasm or heartburn.

My experience with this type of CBRN equipment and environments (apart from standardized military training) is limited to drilling oil wells in H2S producing zones. My sense of smell (and subsequently taste) is greatly diminished due to minute H2S exposure and I've been in the position to have to trust my life to this type of equipment. I didn't mean to oversell anything, but when it comes to this type of chemical exposure (which can vary greatly over the span of a few meters), I'd rather have a wet paper towel or ANYTHING more than hope and faith in my toolbox.

FWIW, unofficial protocol for responding to an H2S alarm when your PPE was not within arm's length was to hold your breath and run upwind until you passed out face down in the dirt. I knew a guy that survived H2S by doing just that when other's died going for their PPE. Fate can be a fickle bitch.

It's also worth noting that gases designed for use as chemical weapons or crowd dispersing agents are usually heavier than air (it would be pretty pointless if it just floated up into the ionosphere), so just having awareness of how those heavy gasses are affected by topography and wind is a good leg up in dealing with them in the early moments of exposure.
Grew up out in the Permian Basin. During my school years out there (1960s) we lost a kid or three each summer to H2S. Usually it was in a low lying site where the gas leaked out of a wellhead. Given that some of us liked to ride pumpjacks....
The Following User Says Thank You to Optimist For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 12:03 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,584 Times in 995 Posts

You don't need an air tight seal if you use a hood with a blower or compressor that maintains positive pressure inside.

Something like a portable oxygen concentrator inside a container with the correct filters should work.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockerZ71 View Post
Does anyone know if anyone makes gas masks to fit dogs, or has anyone made one?

I googled it and found a bunch of pics of them from WW2, but don't see anything for sale

Thanks
A size 1 GP5 should fit them nicely. Best wishes CASUAL PREPPERS UK

~ If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, youve probably misread the situation ~
Old 09-14-2019, 04:10 AM

Default Gas masks for dogs

Does anyone know if anyone makes gas masks to fit dogs, or has anyone made one?

I googled it and found a bunch of pics of them from WW2, but don't see anything for sale

A size 1 GP5 should fit them nicely. Best wishes CASUAL PREPPERS UK

~ If you can keep your head while all around are losing theirs, youve probably misread the situation ~