Notices

Advertise Here

Old 09-13-2019, 02:22 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,133 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Armor all on your car will attract bear as well, Years ago when vinyl tops were the thing ,bear were ripping the tops off cars all the time, as well as motorcycle seats and tires , any thing with a smelll=food.
It is best Not to have any scent on you while in the woods.
I was wearing doe in heat scent while hunting pig and a mountain loin dropped on the trail 4-5 feet in front of me, it was a mexican stand off. I could have shot him point blank, but at the time they were protected and he was not actually posing a threat, though he was facing me.
He turned and left and I was fine with that .
All strong sents attract animals, the possibility of food is alway of interest.
avoid colognes and scented deodorants .
The body emits pheromones when radical changes occur , that chill you get when suddenly surprised or something lethal is on the approach.
Animals depend on both the smells of fear and body language.
It is not bad to be afraid, but it is bad to show it.
The wide eyed deer in headlights expanding preifereal vision is the first mistake ,natural but a mistake never the less.
Narrowing the eyes like a cat does hunting, this is confidence .
Secondly , if the confrontation may lead to a fight fight the dirtiest you can with all your might . the predator's intention is to kill you. not make nice. This is what I much prefer a fighting knife over a little table knife most carry.
A mountain lion or bear kill with no less than 20 knives claws and teeth.and you got?
Heard of bears eating axle grease, or ATV seats. Knew a guy that was attacked 5 times IIRC. They figured that his aftershave combined with his natural pheromones simulated a bear pheromone. There is a cologne or eu du toilette (a Calvin Klein fragrance, I believe) that contains "civet". Not sure what aspect or what gland, but it's theorized that it may attract cats, or other predators being that you are wearing "cat".
Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2019, 02:58 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Thanked 2,229 Times in 1,133 Posts

Going on a long multi day hike, I've double bagged stuff similar to NW Guy. But I know I've smelled like food while hiking. Sometimes you might not be in a spot where you could suspend things, or sometimes not adequately. Your typical camp ground which is more like a social club at the lake, rather than an outdoors experience, will have bears all around it, and though it. Some people even end up feeding the things.

Looks like the coolers were and food sources were outside the tents in those pictures, and looked like camping from a vehicle in at least one picture. I'd just keep the food in the cab.

I'm not going to dissuade anyone from keeping a clean camp, but I also think that it's a crap shoot. You might do everything right and still run into a problem bear, and maybe he doesn't even care so much about your food suspended or in a bear proof container. Some of my habits and many hunters in the area tend to encourage bear encounters. Hunting ungulates and having gut piles, scraps of upland birds, baiting bears on purpose where it's allowed. Picking berries, and tapping trees also put you at a certain higher risk. I'm not about to stop hunting or look for worse spots to pick berries.

I think it's all a lot more dependent on the bear. If the bears been habituated, or has gotten a food reward from human interaction or dwellings, then you're likely to have more problems. Honestly, most of the time, I'm not going to stress whether the bear can smell something. I'm not likely to walk to have a separate cook fire far away from my camp. Probably not going to fool the bear, they can likely smell a drop of grease that landed on my boot, (or the dubbin!), or the sugar or maple syrup in my coffee when I open a thermos or sip it by the fire.

I depend on a good knife, good gun, and probably more on the bear not being bad news (get it?? bad news bears!).
Old 09-14-2019, 07:47 PM
Survivor

Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunkerbuster View Post

I think they are really called bearitos.

As for food in the tent. When a bear bites through the tent and grabs you, he's not there for the food in your pack that you have in the tent. He knows exactly what he's biting into. He's not there for your toothpaste or coffee. If he was, he would grab that first and you might have a chance to leave.

When a pine needle falls in the forest, the eagle sees it, the deer hear it and the bear smells it.

At a mile a bear knows what you ate for dinner, at half a mile what you had for lunch and at a quarter mile what you ate for breakfast.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:04 PM

How are you suppose to catch you next meal if you don't attract animals with the wastes??? Set up the deadfall and stop whining.
The Following User Says Thank You to William Ashley For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2019, 02:06 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,922 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra007 View Post
Why?
I'm sure no one is going to disturb the food in the bears tent.
Oh, I don't know. Depends how hungry I am. Buckees may be a few miles away.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:11 AM
Hunter

Thanked 1,922 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Armor all on your car will attract bear as well, Years ago when vinyl tops were the thing ,bear were ripping the tops off cars all the time, as well as motorcycle seats and tires , any thing with a smelll=food.
It is best Not to have any scent on you while in the woods.
I was wearing doe in heat scent while hunting pig and a mountain loin dropped on the trail 4-5 feet in front of me, it was a mexican stand off. I could have shot him point blank, but at the time they were protected and he was not actually posing a threat, though he was facing me.
He turned and left and I was fine with that .
All strong sents attract animals, the possibility of food is alway of interest.
avoid colognes and scented deodorants .
The body emits pheromones when radical changes occur , that chill you get when suddenly surprised or something lethal is on the approach.
Animals depend on both the smells of fear and body language.
It is not bad to be afraid, but it is bad to show it.
The wide eyed deer in headlights expanding preifereal vision is the first mistake ,natural but a mistake never the less.
Narrowing the eyes like a cat does hunting, this is confidence .
Secondly , if the confrontation may lead to a fight fight the dirtiest you can with all your might . the predator's intention is to kill you. not make nice. This is what I much prefer a fighting knife over a little table knife most carry.
A mountain lion or bear kill with no less than 20 knives claws and teeth.and you got?
Come on. Back in the day, the bears were scared of our dogs and our 45-70's. What the hell happened?
Old 09-20-2019, 06:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,881 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rio nueces View Post
Come on. Back in the day, the bears were scared of our dogs and our 45-70's. What the hell happened?
We stopped hunting them.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldCorps For This Useful Post: