Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Russia Moving into Syria and Iraq, China moving Navy into Mediterranean Charles Spurgeon Manmade and Natural Disasters 28 12-23-2015 10:09 PM
I'm moving on.... khpayne Alaska 6 06-10-2015 02:50 AM
Im moving and need help!! Locked Out General Discussion 10 12-08-2014 12:01 PM
Moving from CT to GA... CTPATRIOT General Discussion 14 03-15-2013 11:22 AM
Moving to PA Melfinaw New Member Introduction 18 06-24-2012 01:49 AM
moving liljon General Discussion 3 03-27-2012 12:26 PM
Hey from...moving around. g39 New Member Introduction 9 10-14-2011 08:20 PM
moving away talkingwoods Financial Forum 16 01-06-2011 10:20 PM
Moving to your BOL BScout Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 1 01-12-2010 06:39 AM
Woo-hoo! I'm moving to NP! bridgierapa Australia and New Zealand 7 11-25-2009 03:52 PM

Old 01-13-2016, 04:38 PM
Merely a free thinker

Thumbs down Considering moving to NH

Advertise Here

My girlfriend and I are considering moving to NH to start a family. This comes after years of research into other states. This is based on our desire for good education, low taxes/cost of living, 2a rights, access to biomedical employment for my girlfriend (Mass), and reasonable driving distance from her family in CT and NY.

Reading through these discussion boards and talking with others is seems the very things we are trying to escape from in CT and our North East neighbors are following people moving to NH. I suppose one of my greatest fears is investing incredible sums of time, money, and effort into making a home and starting a family only to find myself surrounded by people who would love nothing more than to vote and tax away the freedoms and wealth of the family I hope to have.

I feel the people of this board often share the concerns and values I do. So please help me, am I misguided in looking at New Hampshire? Is there reason to be concerned that it may be assimilated with our blue neighbor? Are there specific regions that we should look at that would still be reasonable commuting distance to the Boston area?

I appreciate any suggestions and feedback you have. We are planning a trip this March to visit NH and 100% planning to move out of CT next year and want to make sure we choose the right place.
Quick reply to this message
The Following User Says Thank You to ToddWillSurvive For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 10:36 PM

States have to make money somehow. If you don't pay income and/or sales tax, you will pay higher property taxes and car registration fees. If you live in a city with a good school, your property taxes will reflect that.

Houses within driving distance to Boston are priced comparable to those in MA. How long a commute is your GF willing to tolerate, especially in winter?

Where are you getting your info on cost of living? The book I have rates it as med-high. There is no natural gas in NH. Propane and oil are expensive; so is electricity. http://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_li.../new_hampshire

I can't comment on your other concerns but I would not use low taxes/cost of living as criteria for NH.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheUnlikelyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2016, 10:59 PM

FWIW, some years ago the Free State Project did extensive research on the best states for personal freedom, and after a taking a vote of the membership (and much heated debate) the winner was NH. They examined a large number of factors; taxes and cost of living were only a few of them. So you're not alone in your selection of that state as a good place to live; several of my friends have moved there for the same reasons. (Personally, I don't like the cold, but you've got that anyway.) If you haven't already done so, you should google "Free State Project" and the "New Hampshire Liberty Alliance" and try to connect with some of their people there.

My impression is that the farther north you go in NH the freer it is. The southern part of the state is being invaded by refugees from CT and MA, some of whom are bringing their statist attitudes with them (much like the "Californication" of Oregon). So unless you'll need to commute back to CT for work you should probably be looking closer to the Canadian border than to the CT one.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to laird For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 06:37 AM

I live in NH and I've been here > 20 years (having come from NY)

I'll try to hit the topics of your post and some of the responses.

First, lets start out by saying NH is not perfect. I love it here. I interact with more people that 'get it' when it comes to the ideas on liberty here than I've ever seen anyplace else. If you take away every other great thing about the state, the fact that you can easily interact with hundreds of people who understand and embrace the idea of liberty and will challenge your own statist assumptions would probably be enough to make it worth your while.

As mentioned above, NH was selected for the free state project (actually back in 2003 or so). The idea of the free state project was to pick one small state, get 20,000 people to sign a statement of intent to move there to live their lives embracing liberty and see what happens. The concept was that once 20,000 people agreed to move, then people who signed up would move within 5 years - this way people would be taking less of a risk of moving only to find out it did not happen.... Well, a few things happened, first, getting signers (at least initially) was somewhat slower than people thought but the other thing that happened is that a lot of people decided to not wait for 20,000 others to sign up and moved 'right away' - We call these people early movers and right now there are about 1800 or so people who have already moved. The signer rate has continued to steadily increase over the years but has substantially accelerated in the last year and I would estimate we are now just a few weeks away from hitting 20,000 - but lets be realistic. When we hit 20,000 I doubt everyone who signed will move but there almost certainly will be some increase and that in itself will tend to bring others along.

Even without having triggered the move, NH regularly ranks #1 or certainly in the top 10 or so of states in terms of total tax burden, median income, best place to live, economic freedom and freedom overall. It is a shame that we are no #1 in every category and we are working on it. I like to say that is why we call it the "free state project" and not the "free state ready already done" -- also the first name sounds better.

You don't really need to go 'far north' to find more freedom in NH. That is somewhat of a myth. Certainly it is the case that in the more densely populated areas and in particular those right on the MA boarder that there are some freedoms that those a little further north enjoy that we do not. For example, I can't go out in my back yard and do target shooting but this has more to do with the fact that I have a small lot in a city than anything else. In fact, if one looks at voting records by city and town and makes the (somewhat invalid) assumption that (R) voting is better than (D) voting patterns you'll see that the southern tier is not really a primary problem with plenty of (R) strongholds right on the MA border. VT border is somewhat more of a problem and certainly extreme north is no paradise.

There is Natural Gas in NH. it is fair to say that it is limited. I heat my house with natural gas so that statement is false.

People also worry that some of the voting patterns and things are 'changing' NH. There certainly is always statist voting pressure but not every complaint about the changes is coming from pro-liberty republicans. plenty of the complaints are the result of statists republicans lamenting increasing freedoms.. It is a small minority but it is a real thing to be on the look out for (i.e. some old guard republicans will lament the medical marijuana bill that passed and hold it up as the state going 'liberal' - I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine how true that is.

Our gun laws are good (i.e. we don't have many). In some ways not as good as some other states but way better than where you are coming from. People will hold up VT as a better state because of no need for a permit for concealed carry (I agree, that is better) but of course they have some pretty heavy restrictions in suppressors and we have none.

If at all possible, I suggest a weekend visit in Feb 18-21st (and certainly even just coming up on the Friday/Sat would be good) to come to Liberty Forum. http://nhlibertyforum.com/ - You might look at the list of speakers and say 'meh' not super excited. The secret of liberty forum is that the speakers are the least interesting part of any of these events (even when they are great!). Interacting with the people who are hear and listening to their stories and viewpoints will be something that you won't experience anyplace else in the world.

What is even harder for visitors to the event to understand is when they say "wow this is amazing but what is it like the rest of the year when liberty forum is not going on" and I tell them -- its pretty much the same... It's a little hard to believe but true. Certainly liberty forum steps up the energy a notch and gets many people in one place but on any weekend and most week days there are multiple liberty meet ups, chances for activism or even just hanging out and having a beer with like minded people events going on within a 15 minute drive.

I am not a 'free stater' - I moved here before the FSP existed.
I do organize the "Nashua Liberty" social group for the greater Nashua area and of course there are plenty of free state participants who come.
I will be on a panel discussion at Liberty Forum with other regional liberty social group coordinators talking about what we do in our region and what it is like.
I am a member of the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance and do things like review bills and help create the "Gold Standard" voting guide for our state reps and state senators (I play a small role in it - others really do the heavy lifting).

Feel free to ask other questions.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jef_NH For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2016, 08:00 PM
Merely a free thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyPrepper View Post
States have to make money somehow. If you don't pay income and/or sales tax, you will pay higher property taxes and car registration fees. If you live in a city with a good school, your property taxes will reflect that.

Houses within driving distance to Boston are priced comparable to those in MA. How long a commute is your GF willing to tolerate, especially in winter?

Where are you getting your info on cost of living? The book I have rates it as med-high. There is no natural gas in NH. Propane and oil are expensive; so is electricity. http://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_li.../new_hampshire

I can't comment on your other concerns but I would not use low taxes/cost of living as criteria for NH.
I understand states have to make money somehow. However, It stands to reason that they would require less with a smaller and less inefficient bureaucracy and a general reduction in coercive funded programs.

We were thinking 25-45 minute commute. Winter is a concern, but perhaps I worry a lot.

I should note that although NH is not below average cost of living, it seemed lower than CT based on some of my earlier research, which your source confirmed. However, this was one of the factors I was willing to sacrifice more on.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:04 PM
Merely a free thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by laird View Post
FWIW, some years ago the Free State Project did extensive research on the best states for personal freedom, and after a taking a vote of the membership (and much heated debate) the winner was NH. They examined a large number of factors; taxes and cost of living were only a few of them. So you're not alone in your selection of that state as a good place to live; several of my friends have moved there for the same reasons. (Personally, I don't like the cold, but you've got that anyway.) If you haven't already done so, you should google "Free State Project" and the "New Hampshire Liberty Alliance" and try to connect with some of their people there.

My impression is that the farther north you go in NH the freer it is. The southern part of the state is being invaded by refugees from CT and MA, some of whom are bringing their statist attitudes with them (much like the "Californication" of Oregon). So unless you'll need to commute back to CT for work you should probably be looking closer to the Canadian border than to the CT one.

Just my thoughts. Good luck!
The free state project was influential on my decision. However, the NH Liberty alliance is news to me so I will check them out. I also do not like that cold but the GF does and it is not as significant of a factor to me as say, freedoms.

I suppose I could partially fit into said refugee category however I will not be bringing statism with me. I have not need to commute if I have a reliable internet connection. I am a computer engineer and can work from home. It is very important to her to be close enough to CT to get there quickly, but not commute.

Thanks for the info!
Old 01-14-2016, 08:13 PM
Merely a free thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef_NH View Post
I live in NH and I've been here > 20 years (having come from NY)

I'll try to hit the topics of your post and some of the responses.

First, lets start out by saying NH is not perfect. I love it here. I interact with more people that 'get it' when it comes to the ideas on liberty here than I've ever seen anyplace else. If you take away every other great thing about the state, the fact that you can easily interact with hundreds of people who understand and embrace the idea of liberty and will challenge your own statist assumptions would probably be enough to make it worth your while.

As mentioned above, NH was selected for the free state project (actually back in 2003 or so). The idea of the free state project was to pick one small state, get 20,000 people to sign a statement of intent to move there to live their lives embracing liberty and see what happens. The concept was that once 20,000 people agreed to move, then people who signed up would move within 5 years - this way people would be taking less of a risk of moving only to find out it did not happen.... Well, a few things happened, first, getting signers (at least initially) was somewhat slower than people thought but the other thing that happened is that a lot of people decided to not wait for 20,000 others to sign up and moved 'right away' - We call these people early movers and right now there are about 1800 or so people who have already moved. The signer rate has continued to steadily increase over the years but has substantially accelerated in the last year and I would estimate we are now just a few weeks away from hitting 20,000 - but lets be realistic. When we hit 20,000 I doubt everyone who signed will move but there almost certainly will be some increase and that in itself will tend to bring others along.

Even without having triggered the move, NH regularly ranks #1 or certainly in the top 10 or so of states in terms of total tax burden, median income, best place to live, economic freedom and freedom overall. It is a shame that we are no #1 in every category and we are working on it. I like to say that is why we call it the "free state project" and not the "free state ready already done" -- also the first name sounds better.

You don't really need to go 'far north' to find more freedom in NH. That is somewhat of a myth. Certainly it is the case that in the more densely populated areas and in particular those right on the MA boarder that there are some freedoms that those a little further north enjoy that we do not. For example, I can't go out in my back yard and do target shooting but this has more to do with the fact that I have a small lot in a city than anything else. In fact, if one looks at voting records by city and town and makes the (somewhat invalid) assumption that (R) voting is better than (D) voting patterns you'll see that the southern tier is not really a primary problem with plenty of (R) strongholds right on the MA border. VT border is somewhat more of a problem and certainly extreme north is no paradise.

There is Natural Gas in NH. it is fair to say that it is limited. I heat my house with natural gas so that statement is false.

People also worry that some of the voting patterns and things are 'changing' NH. There certainly is always statist voting pressure but not every complaint about the changes is coming from pro-liberty republicans. plenty of the complaints are the result of statists republicans lamenting increasing freedoms.. It is a small minority but it is a real thing to be on the look out for (i.e. some old guard republicans will lament the medical marijuana bill that passed and hold it up as the state going 'liberal' - I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine how true that is.

Our gun laws are good (i.e. we don't have many). In some ways not as good as some other states but way better than where you are coming from. People will hold up VT as a better state because of no need for a permit for concealed carry (I agree, that is better) but of course they have some pretty heavy restrictions in suppressors and we have none.

If at all possible, I suggest a weekend visit in Feb 18-21st (and certainly even just coming up on the Friday/Sat would be good) to come to Liberty Forum. http://nhlibertyforum.com/ - You might look at the list of speakers and say 'meh' not super excited. The secret of liberty forum is that the speakers are the least interesting part of any of these events (even when they are great!). Interacting with the people who are hear and listening to their stories and viewpoints will be something that you won't experience anyplace else in the world.

What is even harder for visitors to the event to understand is when they say "wow this is amazing but what is it like the rest of the year when liberty forum is not going on" and I tell them -- its pretty much the same... It's a little hard to believe but true. Certainly liberty forum steps up the energy a notch and gets many people in one place but on any weekend and most week days there are multiple liberty meet ups, chances for activism or even just hanging out and having a beer with like minded people events going on within a 15 minute drive.

I am not a 'free stater' - I moved here before the FSP existed.
I do organize the "Nashua Liberty" social group for the greater Nashua area and of course there are plenty of free state participants who come.
I will be on a panel discussion at Liberty Forum with other regional liberty social group coordinators talking about what we do in our region and what it is like.
I am a member of the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance and do things like review bills and help create the "Gold Standard" voting guide for our state reps and state senators (I play a small role in it - others really do the heavy lifting).

Feel free to ask other questions.
Lots of great info here.
I do not expect to find perfection anywhere, but rather looking for the best available option, with a heavy emphasis on freedoms but also want a good place for a family.
I have followed the FSP and like the idea.
I actually have a weekend vacation scheduled in early March to visit the southern half of NH. We were going to head up to around Dublin and cut east to Hampton, hitting many small and large populated areas on the way. (also planning to propose up there as it is our anniversary date!)
I feel like one of the most exiting of your points is the ability to feel like your values are welcomed among your neighbors and peers. I feel that is sorely lacking where I am. (my employer even considers it workplace violence to talk about guns, wtf?)
Old 01-15-2016, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddWillSurvive View Post
I understand states have to make money somehow. However, It stands to reason that they would require less with a smaller and less inefficient bureaucracy and a general reduction in coercive funded programs.

We were thinking 25-45 minute commute. Winter is a concern, but perhaps I worry a lot.

I should note that although NH is not below average cost of living, it seemed lower than CT based on some of my earlier research, which your source confirmed. However, this was one of the factors I was willing to sacrifice more on.
I recommend you go to the area where you hope to live and spend a week or two checking it out - stay in a hotel with a kitchen and shop where you would be shopping, look at houses/apartments, make the commute DURING THE RUSH HOUR, go down to the DMV and ask what it would cost to register your cars, etc... If you find a house/area you like, look at the utility bills.

If you visit during the liberty forum and make some friends there, make sure you go to their house. I've been in houses that were so cold I was shivering. We keep our house at 64 during the day, so maybe I'm a wimp, but if I couldn't afford to raise the temp above 56, I'd find another place to live!

The bad thing about working in MA and living in NH is that you pay MA income taxes, and NH property taxes, so you get the 'worst of both worlds' in a way.

A friend who's retired complains that he can control his income/taxes but he can't control his property taxes and he's contemplating selling his land as a result. He wanted to build a caretakers house on part of it and the zoning board would only allow him to build one ATTACHED to his house. Would you want that? So, it is not really as 'live free' as they would like you to believe.

We have friends who moved to NH from VA and they made the smart decision to rent before buying a house. That way you get to know the neighborhood before you put down roots. If it means anything, they're still renting. Their internet connection goes out on a regular basis, as does their electricity. They have kids in school (supposedly one of the best in the state) and property taxes in their town are outrageous. The school uses that Common Core BS and their kids have so much homework they have virtually no free time. My friend complains constantly about Common Core.

Obviously, all these things are location dependent, so chose wisely.

If you're going to buy a house, research the Kinder Morgan Northeast Energy Direct pipeline. If it's approved, you won't want a house near the proposed route. http://www.nh1.com/news/nh1-news-inv...rgan-pipeline/

There is no sales tax on liquor but the selection is abysmal and very few places will ship to NH (if you drink fine wine, this is a problem).

I'm not saying you shouldn't move, just make sure you know what you're getting into first, and the only way you can know for sure is to spend time there. A weekend isn't enough time, IMHO.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheUnlikelyPrepper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Not Totally Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnlikelyPrepper View Post

Property taxes are crazy high.....I live in a school district just north of Concord (although my town is actually a village of Concord) and we pay 4.5% more than they do and the schools are mediocre. Watch your school district carefully. Car registration is comparable to some but since it is based on "Book Value" it can be expensive

From Concord (60 miles N) winter commute on a bad day can be 2 hours

I have natural gas at my house as do 90% of the residents around me.....depends on where you are. Oil is cheap this year but if crude goes back up (as we know it will) I have friends who spend $4-$500 a month ( crappy insulation) filling their tank. But when I lived in AZ I was spending around $300 cooling mu house

But if you want 5 seasons ( I count mud season as it's own), low crime (unless you live in the southern parts near Mass.) beautiful scenery, a place that can produce 90% of all the food you need/want sans citrus and falls that make everything else worthwhile feel free to come visit. Like all state we have our faults but overall I am not sure I would live elsewhere again.
The Following User Says Thank You to wsttex For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2016, 10:27 AM
Sic semper tyrannis.

Thanked 19,584 Times in 5,795 Posts

I've been living in NH for the past year via VT by way of NY. With NH having no sales tax, no state income tax, low-ish gas prices, low car insurance cost, low crime, beautiful seasons, non aggressive drivers and LEOs I've encountered being pretty professional, I do not have many complaints.

The only real complaint I have coming via Vermont is that I have to have a permission slip from the state to carry a weapon for defense if it's hidden by my jacket. This may change this year so we can all carry constitutionally between the states of Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. I don't like the threat of ticks nor black flies so much. Mud season is fun if you have a 4x4.

Besides the Live Free or Die motto, my favorite part of the NH Constitution is Article 10.

Quote:
Article 10: Government being instituted for the common benefit, protection, and security, of the whole community, and not for the private interest or emolument of any one man, family, or class of men; therefore, whenever the ends of government are perverted, and public liberty manifestly endangered, and all other means of redress are ineffectual, the people may, and of right ought to reform the old, or establish a new government. The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
Some quick links and resources....

NH rated #4 (was number 2 in 2009)
The 2015 report will be released sometime soon.
http://freedominthe50states.org/overall/new-hampshire
http://freedominthe50states.org/

Below are grass roots 2A advocacy groups that worked together to pass Constitutional Carry in 2015, however veto'd by lame duck governor Hassan.

http://www.gonh.org/
http://www.nhfc-ontarget.org/
http://wdlnh.org/

NH has the highest machine gun ownership per capita
http://www.fosters.com/article/20130...S_01/130129919

New Hampshire is also home to:
Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. - Newport, NH
Sig Sauer - Exeter, NH
Heckler & Koch - Newington, NH

NH Liberty Alliance
http://www.nhliberty.org/

Liberty Ballot
http://www.libertyballot.com/

MPP - NH based cannabis decriminalization organization.
https://www.mpp.org/states/new-hampshire/

Pro-liberty and early FSP mover founded real estate firm:
http://porcupinerealestate.com/

These are a few of the FSP early movers elected to the statehouse. I believe there are around 15 in total.

Representative Glen Aldrich (r)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hous...?member=377203

Representative Amanda Bouldin (d)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hous...?member=377283

Representative Brian Seaworth (r)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hous...?member=377023

Representative Carol McGuire (r)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hous...?member=376841

Representative Dan McGuire (r)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hous...?member=376984

Representative Brian Seaworth (r)
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/hous...?member=377023
The Following User Says Thank You to escape For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2016, 05:41 PM

If you want to stay in the northeast you can't get better than NH. We need more free thinking people here to offset the idiots that move here to escape their overtaxed over-regulated lives in MA or wherever only to try to make NH just like the craphole they came from.

Otherwise move to Montana or Wyoming.
The Following User Says Thank You to NHliving For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 09:41 AM

YUP! I came from a **** hole, (NYC). I moved the wife and me up to New Hampshire 18 years ago and never looked back! The drugs and crime got so bad where I lived....AND, it was considered a nice area....."Yeah, right"!

IMO, it's a mellow state where we open carry and you don't get the stink-eye from other people for having a gun on your hip. We have some of the most up to date hospitals too. (No Mayberry hicks up here) Plus the mountains and forests are amazing if you consider hiking!
Old 02-26-2018, 03:53 PM

Just moved up here in July. Been coming up here for visits/siblings for the last 31+ years. Have a nice 5 acre farm and not to far from Squam lake. So far so good.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:39 AM

Moved to NH from CT in 2012 We would never go back to CT. As others have said NH is not perfect, but I think it is the best in New England (I may be biased).
Old 03-10-2018, 09:32 AM

It's all good. This winter has been very snowy but hey it's New England. Looking froward to spring though.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:45 AM

The last thing we native NH people need is another flatlander moving here. This used to be a nice conservative state with good conservative principals and beliefs. We could have our kids have a moment of silence at the beginning of a school day, we could say the Pledge of Elegance To Our Flag at the beginning of the school day and at all meeting and we wanted to. The kids in the fall that had driving licenses would go to school each day with their deer rifles in the back windows or their trucks because they would hunt before and after school and never ever had a thought of using a gun on a person because they knew it was wrong and held life dear knowing what a firearm could do when discharged. They all attended Hunter Safety courses and many were in the ROTC which was revered not villeinised. Our taxes were reasonable and there was the proud belief that you did for your self, family and friends and not look for handouts from the Government.

Then the liberal flatlanders showed up and told us we were wrong for wanting to do all of those things and we needed to change. Eventually enough flatlanders showed so their votes were so numerous and their numbers so great they would win the votes on their points of view and ruined an excellent place to live, recreate, hunt, fish and raise our kids to good conservative American values. So no don't come here stay in Connecticut and keep your liberal flatlander way of life there. None of you ever come here and don't want to change what is here to be more like what you were running away from... If you find yourself disagreeing with what I have said your most likely part of the problem. A relocated flatlander or a person that is not old enough to remember the fantastic place New Hampshire used to be before the liberal flatlanders came here and ruined it !!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to iguide For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguide View Post
The last thing we native NH people need is another flatlander moving here. This used to be a nice conservative state with good conservative principals and beliefs. We could have our kids have a moment of silence at the beginning of a school day, we could say the Pledge of Elegance To Our Flag at the beginning of the school day and at all meeting and we wanted to. The kids in the fall that had driving licenses would go to school each day with their deer rifles in the back windows or their trucks because they would hunt before and after school and never ever had a thought of using a gun on a person because they knew it was wrong and held life dear knowing what a firearm could do when discharged. They all attended Hunter Safety courses and many were in the ROTC which was revered not villeinised. Our taxes were reasonable and there was the proud belief that you did for your self, family and friends and not look for handouts from the Government.

Then the liberal flatlanders showed up and told us we were wrong for wanting to do all of those things and we needed to change. Eventually enough flatlanders showed so their votes were so numerous and their numbers so great they would win the votes on their points of view and ruined an excellent place to live, recreate, hunt, fish and raise our kids to good conservative American values. So no don't come here stay in Connecticut and keep your liberal flatlander way of life there. None of you ever come here and don't want to change what is here to be more like what you were running away from... If you find yourself disagreeing with what I have said your most likely part of the problem. A relocated flatlander or a person that is not old enough to remember the fantastic place New Hampshire used to be before the liberal flatlanders came here and ruined it !!!
Very harsh, but true for most flatlanders. But some, myself included, were running away from the ways of CT, hoping to help keep the conservative values of NH alive. I don't understand why but it seems conservatism in this nation is a dying idea. NH is the last place in New England holding on to these values. We need all conservatives to come here and make a stand.

JMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to jmanatee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2018, 02:56 PM
NRA Life 1971

Thanked 12,087 Times in 5,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iguide View Post

CT people are not the problem that you are having there, it's Boston. The last time I was at the NH state line heading north around rush hour, the cars from NH heading to Boston looked like I 95 going to NYC. No wonder those people are affectionately called 'm*******s'.

Same thing happened in CT several decades ago when NYC people invaded.

Most would be better off continuing on to Maine. Farther away from Boston the better and way less property taxes.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:17 AM
Survivor

Thanked 4,038 Times in 1,889 Posts

There's that 800 pound gorilla in the room-Property Tax, never mind no Income Tax, Sales Tax or Excise Tax. NH consistently is at the bottom of the list re. overall tax burden. Too, Conn. expatriates isn't the problem. Look no further than Mass. Nashua, Manchester and Salem are now Boston suburbs.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve marshall For This Useful Post: