Next gun opinion - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Firearms General Discussion Rifles, pistols, shotguns, scopes, grips and everything in between.

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Opinion on first gun(s) Bill Bear Firearms General Discussion 45 03-18-2015 08:53 AM
What is your opinion on this first aid kit HELPFUL SOULS Health, Fitness and First Aid 16 12-31-2014 08:01 PM
Need a Mom's Opinion MrsPintSize Ladies Section 28 07-31-2013 12:16 AM
Which is more useful in your opinion? 1stcavmp77 Knives, Swords & Axes 9 04-01-2013 12:19 PM
Just my opinion tobkis Recipes 9 12-05-2012 11:24 PM
My opinion 8531jarhed General Discussion 6 08-09-2012 07:59 AM
what is your opinion? InsaneDOM Firearms General Discussion 7 09-29-2011 02:58 PM
Need opinion.... fishnfella Knives, Swords & Axes 11 05-02-2009 11:56 AM
Your opinion on this? kev Political News and Discussion 3 01-14-2009 10:08 PM

Old 02-19-2015, 11:11 AM

Default Next gun opinion

Advertise Here

Hello! First time posting to any forum at all.... Here it goes; I have a marlin xt-22, old winchester 12ga pump (the bead is not straight... long story and limited to bird shot) and a 9mm handgun. I'm in the market for a new gun and can't decide between a mossberg 500 20 ga or ruger 10/22. I'd like some opinions, pros & cons, etc. I'd like to get something more say; SKS, MP5, M1, NO AR or AK; but the honest truth is that it's hard to get range time where I'm at and these two I can shoot frequently here in IL. My wife feels uncomfortable shooting the 12 gauge but perfectly fine with .50 muzzle loader - doesn't make sense but it is what it is. I'm looking for a SHTF weapon, as well as something I can get some decent range time with. I can shoot these two guns listed here more often by only driving 1.5 miles from my house, but the land owner refuses any large rifle calibers. Thank you in advance.
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2015, 11:16 AM
Weed 'em and reap

Thanked 123,421 Times in 24,393 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgonz View Post
Hello! First time posting to any forum at all.... Here it goes; I have a marlin xt-22, old winchester 12ga pump (the bead is not straight... long story and limited to bird shot) and a 9mm handgun. I'm in the market for a new gun and can't decide between a mossberg 500 20 ga or ruger 10/22. I'd like some opinions, pros & cons, etc. I'd like to get something more say; SKS, MP5, M1, NO AR or AK; but the honest truth is that it's hard to get range time where I'm at and these two I can shoot frequently here in IL. My wife feels uncomfortable shooting the 12 gauge but perfectly fine with .50 muzzle loader - doesn't make sense but it is what it is. I'm looking for a SHTF weapon, as well as something I can get some decent range time with. I can shoot these two guns listed here more often by only driving 1.5 miles from my house, but the land owner refuses any large rifle calibers. Thank you in advance.
If your 9mm is a S&W 59 series, get a Marlin Camp 9
Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 AM

Thank you for quick reply! What's your thoughts on my next purchase being a mossberg 500 20 ga vs. Ruger 10/22?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2015, 11:37 AM
Target Shooter

Mossberg 500 or 10/22. cant go wrong with either. SKS is always fun. Mosens are something to think about too. but to anwser the question, go with the 500. 22 ammo is hard to find, but 20 shells are everywhere. I own both. A also have a rem 780. the 780 in my mind is better then the Moss, but the moss does have a very nice recoil to it. reminds you that you are still alive. just my 2 cents that is worth about 2 cents.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Survivor

Thanked 24,734 Times in 7,710 Posts

I dislike 20 Ga...it doesn't reduce recoil in any gun I shoot, it isn't cheaper to shoot, and it doesn't throw as much shot as a 12, except in heavy loads...which then recoil like a 12 does anyway, and cost more.

Your wife won't like the 20 in a pump, either, IMHO. My suggestion...try a semi auto.

I also dislike the 10/22, for the price. I collect .22's, I have 4 10/22's, but there are SO many better guns, for the price.

The ONLY thing the 10/22 brings as an "advantage" is a plethora of add-on bits and pieces, and widely available high cap mags...which isn't what I want or need in a .22, especially if it costs more than the more accurate or better gun, before I even add anything.

That said...it's not a bad gun.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2015, 12:06 PM
Gone Galt

Thanked 66,595 Times in 17,049 Posts

Quote:
I'd say stick with the 12 gauge - Mossberg or Remington pump

12 gauge ammo is significantly easier to find than 20ga in most places.

Also take a look at the Mossberg 930SPX - its a semi-auto 12 gauge that runs around $650. For SHTF, you would have faster follow up shots if needed. Plus, the moving action reduces recoil. (So I've heard and read.)

I don't have one yet, but I've been drooling over them for a couple of years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grevlin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2015, 12:19 PM

wow! Thanks for the prompt reply guys! The idea that my wife wouldn't feel comfortable with the 20 gauge has crossed my mind before. Also; the idea of having another 12 gauge seems like a smart move b/c then I'm not buying 2 different rounds, I can just stockpile even more 12 gauge. As of now, I'm leaning towards the 500. I love the 12 gauge and used one overseas. The primary reason I lean towards the 500 vs the remington 870 is; the ambidextrious handling of the gun. I'm cross eyed dominance, but my wife is not. When I get the chance to shoot; I love shooting off hand for practice too. i've looked at the marlin 795, because I like the last round hold open feature and don't plan on making my 10/22 a m410/22. Thanks again!!
Old 02-19-2015, 12:36 PM
Tedious Gasbag

Thanked 1,423 Times in 539 Posts

I don't know the dimensions of your wife's physique, but she may be more comfortable with a shotgun which better accommodates them... perhaps a Remington Youth Model?
I too would stick to 12 gauge, and just have her train on it until comfortable. Sure, there's plenty of 20 gauge on the shelves to buy now... but in a post TEOTWAWKI scenario one will have a MUCH better chance of finding or trading for 12 gauge shells than 20 IMHO... it's just far more common. And I also agree that the 20 still kicks plenty, while throwing less lead downrange.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:38 PM
Survivor

Thanked 28,135 Times in 6,764 Posts

Get the 12 gauge and a slip on recoil pad. When she shoots it use a lighter load like for rabbit/squirrel or quail/dove.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:43 PM

Thanks! I was actually looking at the bantam for that reason... EVENTUALLY; I'd like to purchase an extended magazine, and to the best of my knowledge; it's only available for the 12.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:40 PM
Trapper

While I agree with what is being sad 12g vs 20g, some women prefer the size of a 20 guage .my daughter in law loves my 20 guage over under. There is less recoil with a 20 but that depends on the load and weight of gun. A 20 gauge semi auto might be best in that regard.
Also the Ruger 10/22 is a very popular gun for good reason. Some of them are very accurate OOB. They are reliable and well made, the magazines are the best and there is a lot of after market upgrades available.plus you will get lots of practice shooting as it is more fun to shoot than a shotgun or high power rifle.
As far as a shtf rifle, the AR has several advantages over an AK. More range , more accuracy a far more effective round, don't argue I am a combat vet and also hunted with and tested both. Also the Russian switched to a similair round 40 years ago. The gun is as reliable with reasonable care, and much easier to repair if needed. That said, have a Saiga as well and it is a decent close range weapon. The AR will make less noise and have a little less penetration but neither is real loud. Either is ok.
Either the 500 or 10/22 is a good call, but unless you plan to bird hunt, I would get the 10/22 because of all the guns you mentioned IMHO is would be the most useful in a shtf situation depending on circumstances. Also the most fun to shoot.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:52 PM

Great input! Thanks guys! One of the bigger reasons that I'm skeptical of both... Is because I already have the .22 (although it's bolt) and a 12. Do you guys think I'd be wasting $$ by just purchasing another .22? I'm just thinking outloud here. I've had a lot of facetime with an AR platform, I've shot AK's and MP5's and never cared for them. The mini14 has crossed my mind, but I always go back to either the 10/22 or the mossberg 500.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:49 PM
Trapper

I would probably still look to an AR or AK platform (even if it is a closet case).

You already have a .22 rifle, you might consider a .22 pistol to accompany it. The Ruger single six Convertible gives you the option of also having an interchangeable magnum cylinder. If you are interested in another .22 rifle the 1022 breakdown model is tops.

There are reasons that the 870 (12ga) rides in almost every shotgun rack of every patrol car in America. You might want to think about getting another barrel for your 12ga with interchangeable choke tubes and make your shotgun more usable, or have your sight on your barrel corrected and your barrel fitted with interchangeable choke tubes. Another option for a prepper patrol rifle might be the new folding Keltec sub 2000, 9mm. It still folds to 16", has a better front sight and new style front hand guard.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:11 AM

Although you can almost never go wrong with a 12 ga pump shotgun for a choice, the Ruger 10/22 does have lots of interesting ways to go and lots to offer.

I've got several 10/22's and I really like the new Ruger 25 rd mags. No feeding issues at all. In my experience, the aftermarket hi-cap mags that have been made over the years have been hit or miss, for me anyway, so the 25 round mags are a delight. I liken them to the 33 round mags for the Glock 9mm in terms of shooting fun and the ability to send a lot of lead downstream with accuracy.

One Ex-Special Forces guy I know, my friend's broker, has as his favored self-defense weapon a Sig-Sauer 522 pistol with a 100 round mag, a red dot and a laser sight and swears that with no recoil to speak of you can send a lot of rounds downfield pretty darn quick.

Ruger has a cheap laser for the 10-22 that mounts on the fore end of the stock. It's trick and I want one. The takedown model had it's advantages as well.

With a scope of any kind and a laser and 25 rd mag it's a hunting and defense weapon, particularly for those who don't favor recoil or can't handle recoil due to age or infirmary. With a folding pistol stock it'd be a better home defense weapon for the folks who are aged or infirm and can't take the recoil of other calibers.

Also, lots of the mods for the 10/22 can be found used for fair deals on ebay and other auction sights.

.22 and .12 gauge.

I'll throw this in, although I know it's specifically not what you want at this time. I have a lot of fun with my Mosin carbine, and shoot it a lot because ammo is really, really cheap, albeit powerful. The gun was cheap too. It shoots very well, and it's decades older than I am.
The Following User Says Thank You to texasgreg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Survivor

Thanked 12,216 Times in 4,920 Posts

Quote:
Thanks! I was actually looking at the bantam for that reason... EVENTUALLY; I'd like to purchase an extended magazine, and to the best of my knowledge; it's only available for the 12.
No mag extension for a 500 that I know of, the end of the tube is closed.

You could swap out the entire tube I suppose.
Old 02-21-2015, 01:31 PM
Let the Debate begin

Thanked 10,450 Times in 3,737 Posts

If your wife does not like a 12 gauge - did you try having her shoot reduced recoil loads from it? My wife hated 12 gauge until I went with shorter shells that have less recoil.
The Following User Says Thank You to Truck Vet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,400 Times in 610 Posts

Quote:
Go to a range, or shop with a range, and try them out, especially your wife. A lot of shops/ranges have used guns they're looking to sell, and will let you run a few rounds. You could make wiser, and perhaps less expensive choices that way.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Trapper

Now lack of opinions. I don't think there is a wrong choice. It is just what fits your circumstances and what you want. If all else fails, flip a coin and be happy.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 6,657 Times in 3,175 Posts

Your said a shtf gun. Well that too is broad. If your main focus is defense which IMHO a shtf weapon needs to cover than the shotgun is a no brainer. If you have your defense needs met and you were looking for something to carry easier with several hundred rounds then the 10/22. In a ROL situation the shotgun will do much more than the 10/22 and two times better. If I could only choose one it would be the shotgun but not in 20 g, but 12 g. Women who are sketchy about using one because of recoil will have no problem if they really need it. I feel the 12 g recoil at the range, but when hunting deer I don't feel **** because my adrenaline is pumping and I am trying to hit the target.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:41 AM
overcafienated since 1982

I would suggest the mossberg 500(own one,love it) and a box or two of 00 buckshot as well as a big box of target loads and a box or two of clay targets and a cheap plastic handheld thrower.
Get lots of practice time in with the cheap ($25 or so for 100 rounds and 100 targets for about $15)
practice supplies to get comfortable with the shotgun and shoot a few of the buckshot to get a feel for the difference in recoil afterwards.
In a real emergency the noise is going to be more of a problem than the kick of a single(hopefully) round of full power ammo.
In my case the girlfriend has never even tried the shotgun but chose a 10/22 as her first gun purchase and quickly decided that stock magazines take too long to reload.
She can now (3 years later) dump a full 25 round mag into a human size target at 50 yards in a lot less time than I can reload a 17 round 9mm magazine.

Long story short, everyone shoots best with what feels right to them, and a few well placed rounds of .22 are way better than a miss with a gun she's afraid to shoot(don't get me started on the mosin-nagant) but practicing is way more important than just having the biggest gun you can buy.

P.S. butler creek and mec-gar 32 round mags work best if loaded to only 30 rounds and broken in properly but ruger mags(tho more expensive) work just fine right off the shelf.

Last edited by ballpeenhamster; 02-22-2015 at 01:46 AM.. Reason: more info