Financial Forum Economics and Precious Metals

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone in Japan still? Suzuran Nihongo / Japanese 3 07-25-2015 07:16 AM
Hi from Japan osukannon New Member Introduction 19 03-02-2015 09:53 PM
Hello from JAPAN! Shiori New Member Introduction 20 07-28-2014 02:26 PM
Hello From Japan! buds224 New Member Introduction 18 10-03-2013 01:52 AM
Greetings from Japan Semper_Gumby New Member Introduction 24 08-02-2011 07:46 AM
Hello from Japan rkarr New Member Introduction 40 06-17-2011 08:53 AM
There is looting in Japan! sammich Manmade and Natural Disasters 22 03-19-2011 12:49 AM
greetings from japan I AM LEGION New Member Introduction 15 11-10-2009 09:48 AM

Old 02-23-2014, 03:01 PM
(Insert Witty Title Here)

Thanked 1,880 Times in 457 Posts
Default Anyone been to Japan lately?

Advertise Here

Over the past couple of years, there has been more awareness and a growing concern of our national debt spiraling out of control. Our current Debt to GDP ratio is a little over 100% depending on the source you look up. Obviously not the ideal economic situation to be in and many of us are rightfully worried for the future.

The reason I ask if any of you have been to Japan lately is because their Debt to GDP ratio is currently over 200%. Google didn't yield much, maybe I wasn't asking the right question in the search bar. Has the everyday average Japanese citizen lost their savings, 401k/IRA equivalents, etc.? Are they experiencing hyperinflation? When will the SHTF for the everyday people of Japan?

We all heard plenty of Greece and Cyprus in the news, but really not a whole lot of talk about Japan.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Domesticated_Primate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 03:59 PM

Was recently in Sasebo, Aug 2013. Granted its a much more rural area than say Fukishima and Yokuska, certainly Tokyo.

The people seem fine granted I only understand a small handful of japaneese terms. Folks in Sasebo just seem simple. simple houses simple jobs

Last edited by wjholcomb3; 02-23-2014 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: just realized OP was in Aug 2013 found it funny
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wjholcomb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Survivor

Thanked 27,962 Times in 7,555 Posts

Japan's national debt is mostly owned by their population. Their government doesn't need to nationalize the populations retirement accounts as most of their savings already ownes Japan's debt.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sierra skier For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2014, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domesticated_Primate View Post
Over the past couple of years, there has been more awareness and a growing concern of our national debt spiraling out of control. Our current Debt to GDP ratio is a little over 100% depending on the source you look up. Obviously not the ideal economic situation to be in and many of us are rightfully worried for the future.

The reason I ask if any of you have been to Japan lately is because their Debt to GDP ratio is currently over 200%. Google didn't yield much, maybe I wasn't asking the right question in the search bar. Has the everyday average Japanese citizen lost their savings, 401k/IRA equivalents, etc.? Are they experiencing hyperinflation? When will the SHTF for the everyday people of Japan?

We all heard plenty of Greece and Cyprus in the news, but really not a whole lot of talk about Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierra skier View Post
Japan's national debt is mostly owned by their population. Their government doesn't need to nationalize the populations retirement accounts as most of their savings already ownes Japan's debt.
That and they dont have a welfare culture, and mass immigration I think they let in around 500 a year and they must have a great reason to be let in...a great system.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to SG1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Retired thinker

Thanked 30,038 Times in 6,285 Posts

They are intelligent, self-reliant and they have a culture of work. I think they will do much better than us as we load the titanic with millions of illegals who have no skills and education while we encourage the birth of unskilled/uneducated/unwanted children by showering them with welfare and government benefits. Japan can pay off their debt and sacrifice if necessary to do so but we will never be able to stop the financial drain that our burgeoning population of dependent no information voters will put on our ever diminishing tax base.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:36 PM
Trapper

I will find out for you next month.
Old 02-23-2014, 06:05 PM
Spyder Rider

Thanked 4,631 Times in 1,380 Posts

Right or wrong they have the advantage of not being culturally diverse.

Gov costs less when it does not have pander to so many voting blocs.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Raines For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 06:52 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,762 Times in 2,664 Posts

When SHTF in Japan... there will be no rioting, no emptying out of the department stores, no random killings or knockout games, no mass chaos, no lines of gibsmedats chanting for more free-crap--none of this will unfold in Japan as it will here.

The will suck it up and muddle along peacefully and organized--as they did in the aftermath of the mass earth quake a few years ago... and if you noticed, there was no looting, no gibsmedats milling around in sports arenas waiting for blocks of government cheese to arrive. They sucked it up and started cleaning up immediately afterwards despite the devastation.
Old 02-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Prepared

Thanked 18,633 Times in 8,539 Posts

This topic has been brought up before. As much as we like to idolize the Japanese stereotype of being reserved, peaceable, etc. You need to read about what happened in Nanking, the Bataan Death March, the Yakuza (probably the largest organized crime network in the world), etc.

They are not self-reliant, either. Lack of petroleum resources is one of the reasons we got WWII in the Pacific and other wars there previously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKEZO View Post
When SHTF in Japan... there will be no rioting, no emptying out of the department stores, no random killings or knockout games, no mass chaos, no lines of gibsmedats chanting for more free-crap--none of this will unfold in Japan as it will here.

The will suck it up and muddle along peacefully and organized--as they did in the aftermath of the mass earth quake a few years ago... and if you noticed, there was no looting, no gibsmedats milling around in sports arenas waiting for blocks of government cheese to arrive. They sucked it up and started cleaning up immediately afterwards despite the devastation.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2014, 07:45 PM
I love this forum

Thanked 8,762 Times in 2,664 Posts

As much as we like to idolize the Japanese stereotype of being reserved, peaceable, etc. You need to read about what happened in Nanking, the Bataan Death March, the Yakuza (probably the largest organized crime network in the world), etc.

Nanking?!
Battan Death March?!!!
WWII old history????!!!

You have to be ****ting me--right?!

Pleeeeeze!!

That was several generations ago--and not at all relevant for these times.
FYI--the topic here is SHTF present day--not WWII era.

Soooooooooooo.....
Look at what the gibsmedats did after Katrina.
Look what happened after the massive earthquake in Japan.

Rioting and looting for food and water in Japan?
Nope.
Rioting and looting (including the LEO's looting) after Katrina?
Yup--in spades (no pun intended).

Give me a freakin' break about Nanking.
Stop watching the "Military Channel" and "World At War" for a change.

Also FYI--the Japanese Yakuza were first on the scene after the earthquake with food and supplies, way, way before the government stooges arrived.

When you speak Japanese (as I do) and then live in Japan (off a US military base) with the Japanese people (as I have), then you can comment with authority on their culture.

Hint: eating at Benihana does not make you an authority on that country.
Old 02-23-2014, 08:18 PM
Survivor

Thanked 67,157 Times in 21,120 Posts

It is said that the differences between the US and england is that in england they think 200 miles is a long way, and in the US we think 200 years is a long time.

To the oriental mind... they think even longer.
DO NOT mistake that "only" a generation or 2 will make ANY DIFFERENCE to them.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:45 PM

I have been to Japan a few times and only last year. Japan has a large public pension scheme for every Japanese worker, which takes up a large portion of their government spending, so technically they are an extremely welfare society. Their government changes every few years, and their government controls are much weaker compared with the U.S.A, even more beholden to their big business than the U.S.A government. I doubt if Japanese society will collapse anytime soon from economic pressure, their average salary is well adjusted to inflation. The growing debt is probably a function of the aging population in Japan.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shaihulud For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 03:25 AM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 19,877 Times in 5,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domesticated_Primate View Post

Japans cost of debt service is currently 24% of tax revenue for every 1% rise in the Japanese Treasury Bond yield.

As of right now JTB yield's are as follows:

JGB 2 Year Yield 0.07% 0 -2 +3 01:27:18
JGB 5 Year Yield 0.18% 0 -1 +5 01:27:26
JGB 10 Year Yield 0.59% 0 -3 -13 01:30:10
JGB 30 Year Yield 1.63% 0 +2 -27 01:31:23

So if/when the Japanese 30yr rises just 1.37% (and assuming some combination of the 2/5/10 yr bonds follow).... Japan will then be using 75% of all her government income(tax revenue) just to service existing debt.

No pension payments. No government services. Nada.

Game over.

Japans problem's debt problem is further compounded when one realizes the demographic for JTB buys.. is largely Japanese. This allows the yield price to be set, not by the market, but by the Treasury. One of the largest holders of JTB's was Japans Pension fund... who last year became a net seller for the very 1st time.

Coupled with Japan's age demographic (there are more retired seniors than workers) who are now drawing down on their retirement portfolios, selling the JTB's they'd previously held to fund their retirements, Japan will be forced to look internationally for cash and let the market take more precedence in determining the yield on bonds.

IMHO... at that point Japan should start feeling the weight of their massive debt overhang as yields spike.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 04:07 AM

No expert, but I was there last year- Kobe/Osaka.
The average man is not suffering too much, their savings are secure, income keeps up with inflation. They earn 18 months salary for 12 months work.
There is talk at the moment of increasing their VAT from 5% to 10% and that will sting- this is no doubt, an effort to service their debts.
The economy was stagnant, but seems to be showing positive results from Abe's stimulus efforts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emjay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 AM
Sam Adams was right....

Thanked 19,877 Times in 5,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emjay View Post
No expert, but I was there last year- Kobe/Osaka.
The average man is not suffering too much, their savings are secure, income keeps up with inflation. They earn 18 months salary for 12 months work.
There is talk at the moment of increasing their VAT from 5% to 10% and that will sting- this is no doubt, an effort to service their debts.
The economy was stagnant, but seems to be showing positive results from Abe's stimulus efforts.
Japan just had their biggest "miss" in GDP in 18 months..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steverino For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 04:37 PM
Prepared

Well, it sounds like you might have an anger management problem, but that's not the topic here. So do you attribute their more modern "saintly" behavior to culture or genetics?

Making a claim or generalization, but providing no supporting reasons leaves us wondering.

Here's a possibility. It could be that the Japanese feel that government (or the organized crime groups, as you suggest) will step in to assist the people. So there's no need to look out for yourself, panic, loot, etc. Assistance and generosity is forthcoming. It could be here that we're more of the "every man for himself" mentality. At least as far as the middle-class is concerned, I think there's a deep seated understanding that DC will not come to its aid. They can lose their jobs, their health insurance, their homes, etc. but there will be no aid. So people are more likely to panic and look out for themselves here?

The US, Europe (especially eastern Europe) have third world pockets, and a third world government mentality (surveillance, corruption, cronyism, extreme wealth divide, etc.). Are there large pockets of hopelessness in Japan, genuinely starving people if they weren't living on aid, so many permanently disenfranchised? You take ANY parent, any culture. Put them in a position where they are starving and watching their children die. If there is no assistance forthcoming, they will panic, they will loot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKEZO View Post
As much as we like to idolize the Japanese stereotype of being reserved, peaceable, etc. You need to read about what happened in Nanking, the Bataan Death March, the Yakuza (probably the largest organized crime network in the world), etc.

Nanking?!
Battan Death March?!!!
WWII old history????!!!

You have to be ****ting me--right?!

Pleeeeeze!!

That was several generations ago--and not at all relevant for these times.
FYI--the topic here is SHTF present day--not WWII era.

Soooooooooooo.....
Look at what the gibsmedats did after Katrina.
Look what happened after the massive earthquake in Japan.

Rioting and looting for food and water in Japan?
Nope.
Rioting and looting (including the LEO's looting) after Katrina?
Yup--in spades (no pun intended).

Give me a freakin' break about Nanking.
Stop watching the "Military Channel" and "World At War" for a change.

Also FYI--the Japanese Yakuza were first on the scene after the earthquake with food and supplies, way, way before the government stooges arrived.

When you speak Japanese (as I do) and then live in Japan (off a US military base) with the Japanese people (as I have), then you can comment with authority on their culture.

Hint: eating at Benihana does not make you an authority on that country.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aramchek For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2014, 05:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,155 Posts

The only thing i know of that is affecting the Japanese economy is the ongoing ( I think ) liberty policy that restricts our US service members to drink on base instead of out in town.

The US has been pumping money into Japan by building up our forces in the Pacific over the past 4 years. Means more money for the local economy of japan.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:11 PM
CabinBuilder/Author

Thanked 4,086 Times in 995 Posts

When a country loses its manners and respect for elders, it goes in a downward spiral.

Most Japanese still follow Bushido. i was there last year btw and admired seeing this everywhere.

“Bushido means seven things. First it is ‘Gi’. This means to do the right and just thing, to make the right choice, to do right action, even if difficult, not popular, or even if no one is watching so you will get credit, but because it is the right thing to do.”

“The second is ‘Yu’. It means have courage. Most often it is hard to do the right thing. It takes courage – not because someone is watching and that you will be hero and get recognition, but it is question of having guts to do hard thing or hide in shadow because of embarrassment or fear.”

“Jin,” he continued, “It means compassion and kindness to all living things, people and animals in every way.

“Fourth is ‘Rei’. This means to show respect, courtesy and good manners to all, those above you and those below, even to your enemies. It is also to show humility and not be selfish, try to dominate others which comes from insecurity. It means to sincerely listen when others are talking to show them respect and not interrupt them.”

“Fifth is ‘Makoto’. This means honesty and complete sincerity. Be honest in all things, very hard to do. All people lie sometime. Most because of being selfish or afraid of consequence. It ties in with courage and doing right thing. Speak the truth and be sincere. Sincerity comes from a good heart, to do otherwise, weakens the heart. Speaking the truth takes courage, but in long run, it is most respected.

Sixth is ‘Meiyo’. It means to have honor and integrity. Men can kill your body, but they cannot take your honor. Honor to self, family, friends, country and God.

Seventh is ‘Chu Gi’. This means loyalty, devotion and duty. Best example is a dog. He will give his life for his master because he is loyal and devoted to him just to earn his master’s trust and love. Chu Gi is giving up your ego and finding something, perhaps your duty to a greater cause, showing devotion and loyalty to a greater cause than yourself. Dogs are masters at Bushido.”
Old 02-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Survivor

Thanked 16,464 Times in 5,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramchek View Post
read about what happened in Nanking, the Bataan Death March.
These things weren't SHTF events for the Japanese, only for their prisoners. War generally doesn't go well for the losing side, as they found out a few short years later at Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Prepared

At any rate, there's 300+ million Americans who live HERE and speak the language. Does that make each of us an expert on US history or culture? Or at general powers of reasoning, deduction or synthesizing historical/cultural information?

Anyway, for the same reason alot of Americans are likely to loot/panic is why you have a survival movement here in the first place, why we have a lot of gun fans, people concerned with self-defense, etc. We've always been a nation that emphasizes self-reliance, everyman for himself, and has seen poor emergency response from government, little or no interest in maintaining infrastructure (levees around New Orleans, etc). We're a culture, for better or worse, that is not blindly obedient, sheep-like to authority. We also expect authority to EARN respect, not to demand it (tyranny, emperor, caste codes, etc.).

If any one of you think the US government can be heavy-handed, read up on imperial Japan, the Meiji Restoration, etc. We're 200 years from being a colony, Japan is not even a century outside of direct imperial rule.

As for the Yakuza lending a helping hand to disaster-affected Japanese -- what would our own mafia do? The banksters would lend a helping hand alright. And charge interest.