Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tapco SKS vs. VZ.58 DontKnowWhatI'mDoing Firearms General Discussion 40 02-22-2015 04:12 AM
I will never buy TAPCO again!!! sabotage39k Rifle Forum 19 10-26-2013 09:16 AM
Tapco mag trouble swampfox210 Firearms General Discussion 19 04-23-2013 09:16 AM
Sks tapco 20 hoplite59 Military Weapons Forum 49 10-18-2012 09:27 AM
MagPul Vs Tapco Richh56 Military Weapons Forum 15 08-13-2012 05:21 AM
10/22 Tapco or M&P 15-22 tplochar Rifle Forum 7 03-01-2012 05:58 AM
Tapco SKS stock gbm75 Military Weapons Forum 1 10-31-2011 04:33 PM
tapco mag for ar? whiskyrebellion Military Weapons Forum 5 03-18-2011 11:23 PM
Sks, Gas tube and tapco Big philly Military Weapons Forum 8 03-05-2010 02:40 AM
Tapco sks Pfc_Willson Rifle Forum 12 01-15-2009 08:06 AM

Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
14 year old libertarian

Default SKS: To Tapco, or not to Tapco?

Advertise Here

I've been thinking about adding a Tapco Intrafuse SKS stock and some 20 round detachable mags (they're actually still available) to my Type 56, because now it's far too late to consider an AR15 or AK. Then again, I never had the money to buy one before the panic started. I love my SKS because it's a solid, reliable, good-shooting, hard-hitting, simple weapon, but I might have to face AKs and ARs when the fecal matter hits the electronic rotating, ceiling-mounted, air-cooling device.

Then again,I live in the country. When the SHTF, there won't be many AKs or ARs slung over shoulders. Instead, wood-stocked lever action and bolt action rifles, some SKS (back when they were 75 bucks at roses, people bought them as inexpensive deer rifles), etc. Tactical gear, high-cap mags, etc. are not only looked down opon by most, it kinda says "shoot me first". Now, i'm not saying that I care what others think about my weapon. I'm just saying that it may be beneficial to blend-in when the SHTF. Then again, I plan on staying inside my home when the SHTF, and when I have to go out i'll probably have a shotgun or my .30-30 slun over my shoulder, so it's unlikely my SKS would even be noticed. Does any of what I just said make sence? Probably not.

I don't have much money. Would I be better off practicing with stripper clips and saving money to buy ammo to add to my almost non-ecistant stockpile? Or should I modify my SKS?
Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Hillbilly Deluxe

Imo, don't do it.

A stock SKS is a very reliable rifle. I believe that if you start bubba-ing it out with detachable magazines, the reliability goes down the tubes. And stripper clips are a lot lighter if you're going to be humping a lot of ammo. And certainly much faster if you run out of loaded magazines. The thing about the duckbill SKS magazines is, they are fiddly to get in and out, to the point that loading them with a stripper clip is about the same speed. And once you have a big ol' piece of fruit hanging out the bottom, it's harder to fire prone.

I think if you want an SKS with detachable mags, get an SMS-M or -D, or an AK, and avoid the duckbill fiddliness and feeding issues.

Just my opinion. I'm sure others have had better experiences! But on a budget without getting the magazines fitted to the rifle and having mag release work done on it, I think SKS detachable mags will make you very sad.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WVMountainMan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Ham Extra Class

Thanked 5,521 Times in 1,811 Posts

Not trying to start a debate here, but this is my opinion.
If your main battle weapon is a SKS, I would update it to a Tapco intrafuse stock in a second and I would get a minimum of 12 of the Tapco 20 round
mags for it.
The die hard SKS fanatics will say keep the wood stock and get stripper clips to load the weapon with, however thats old technology.
Look at all new battle rifles they use polymer stocks and removeable mags.
Do yourself a favor and if you decide to update use the Tapco stuff it has proven for me to be 100% reliable.
Also the SKS loaded with stripper clips is proven to be a little dangerous by me and not being trained in using them. I had a bolt catch one of my fingers
and it hurt for days, and yes it was a stupid mistake however its part of stripper fed weapons and what can happen with them.
Heres my SKS, Its modernized and great.

Note:
I use AR's for my main Go To Rifle and the SKS is a backup if I need a 7.62X39gun.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockyriver For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2013, 06:26 PM
Who is #1?

Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,069 Posts

Get the ammo first then worry about updating the rifle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Systematic Mechanic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 09:48 PM
14 year old libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyriver View Post
Not trying to start a debate here, but this is my opinion.
If your main battle weapon is a SKS, I would update it to a Tapco intrafuse stock in a second and I would get a minimum of 12 of the Tapco 20 round
mags for it.
The die hard SKS fanatics will say keep the wood stock and get stripper clips to load the weapon with, however thats old technology.
Look at all new battle rifles they use polymer stocks and removeable mags.
Do yourself a favor and if you decide to update use the Tapco stuff it has proven for me to be 100% reliable.
Also the SKS loaded with stripper clips is proven to be a little dangerous by me and not being trained in using them. I had a bolt catch one of my fingers
and it hurt for days, and yes it was a stupid mistake however its part of stripper fed weapons and what can happen with them.
Heres my SKS, Its modernized and great.

Note:
I use AR's for my main Go To Rifle and the SKS is a backup if I need a 7.62X39gun.

I was thinking about buying four, Jungle Tape them together with duct tape in sets of 2 for faster reloads (which actually does work), and keeping my ten round box mag handy as well as 10-15 stripper clips.

But stripper clips are actually very safe and easy to use if you practice, which I have. Fitting it into the slot takes longer than putting the rounds in. You fit it into the slot, which takes about 2 seconds, tip the top round up, and push down. You can ditch the stripper clip if you have/need to or just drop it in a side pouch. Now, with mosin nagant stripper clips, it's a whole different story IMO. Those things sucked! The only real reason I'd like the Tapco Mags is for the added capacity. If I could afford one, I'd get a metal fixed 20 or 30 round mag.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 PM
14 year old libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVMountainMan View Post
Imo, don't do it.

A stock SKS is a very reliable rifle. I believe that if you start bubba-ing it out with detachable magazines, the reliability goes down the tubes. And stripper clips are a lot lighter if you're going to be humping a lot of ammo. And certainly much faster if you run out of loaded magazines. The thing about the duckbill SKS magazines is, they are fiddly to get in and out, to the point that loading them with a stripper clip is about the same speed. And once you have a big ol' piece of fruit hanging out the bottom, it's harder to fire prone.

I think if you want an SKS with detachable mags, get an SMS-M or -D, or an AK, and avoid the duckbill fiddliness and feeding issues.

Just my opinion. I'm sure others have had better experiences! But on a budget without getting the magazines fitted to the rifle and having mag release work done on it, I think SKS detachable mags will make you very sad.
I consider stripper clips as an advantage rather than a disadvantage as well. But the thing i'm worried about is having 10 rounds vs. BGs with 30. Yet I woulden't feel undergunned with a 6 shot revolver against guys with 20 round glocks. I'm weird.
The Following User Says Thank You to YoungPrepper77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Stinks like...BO

Thanked 1,793 Times in 567 Posts

This young man makes more sense than 90% of the stuff I read!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fido0311 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2013, 10:34 PM
14 year old libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fido0311 View Post
This young man makes more sense than 90% of the stuff I read!!
Thank ya, thank ya very much
Old 04-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,420 Posts

Simple if you use your head and think! What good is a "cool looking rifle" without any ammo? The SKS was designed by people to fight, reliably. Tapco is designed to get you to send your money to them. Which is best for your purpose? You don't need bells and cool toys. You need to be prepared. Buy all the ammo and stripper clips you can now. The UN gun ban includes ammo. We just might not get much more Russian ammo and the US ammo is very expensive. I am glad to see you on these boards. Not many your age are thinking with their noodle.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nutty Old Geezer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 PM
14 year old libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Old Geezer View Post
Simple if you use your head and think! What good is a "cool looking rifle" without any ammo? The SKS was designed by people to fight, reliably. Tapco is designed to get you to send your money to them. Which is best for your purpose? You don't need bells and cool toys. You need to be prepared. Buy all the ammo and stripper clips you can now. The UN gun ban includes ammo. We just might not get much more Russian ammo and the US ammo is very expensive. I am glad to see you on these boards. Not many your age are thinking with their noodle.
I agree with you. But I don't want the tapco stuff because it looks cool. I might go up against ARs, AKs, and other much more expensive weapons. I cant reload as fast, shoot quite as fast, don't have the same amount of firepower, and my weapon isnt as comfortable. I can't find any more ammo anyways, and all my ammo is non reloadable. Maybe I should have got a Mini 14 or M1 Carbine...
Old 04-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Come and Take It!

Thanked 10,427 Times in 4,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrepper77 View Post
I've been thinking about adding a Tapco Intrafuse SKS stock and some 20 round detachable mags (they're actually still available) to my Type 56, because now it's far too late to consider an AR15 or AK. Then again, I never had the money to buy one before the panic started. I love my SKS because it's a solid, reliable, good-shooting, hard-hitting, simple weapon, but I might have to face AKs and ARs when the fecal matter hits the electronic rotating, ceiling-mounted, air-cooling device.

Then again,I live in the country. When the SHTF, there won't be many AKs or ARs slung over shoulders. Instead, wood-stocked lever action and bolt action rifles, some SKS (back when they were 75 bucks at roses, people bought them as inexpensive deer rifles), etc. Tactical gear, high-cap mags, etc. are not only looked down opon by most, it kinda says "shoot me first". Now, i'm not saying that I care what others think about my weapon. I'm just saying that it may be beneficial to blend-in when the SHTF. Then again, I plan on staying inside my home when the SHTF, and when I have to go out i'll probably have a shotgun or my .30-30 slun over my shoulder, so it's unlikely my SKS would even be noticed. Does any of what I just said make sence? Probably not.

I don't have much money. Would I be better off practicing with stripper clips and saving money to buy ammo to add to my almost non-ecistant stockpile? Or should I modify my SKS?
I would do the TAPCO Stock but not the magazines. Stripper clips work Better in the SKS. IMHO
The Following User Says Thank You to Lone Star For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2013, 09:49 PM
I love this forum

Eh, i wouldn't say a mini or m1 Carbine is a better choice than an SKS.. Here's some advantages of the SKS over many other guns, such as the AK:

Sight Radius, the distance between the sights are further apart than an AK, and has a longer barrel, giving it better accuracy in my experience. War changed, it use to be choose your shots and use a bullet per, now its spread the led. I like the original way, as you use less ammunition. And, in a shtf, chances are you will only be in small conflicts if anything, where accuracy is important, and while the SKS isnt the most accurate gun in the world, it sure isnt bad, especially up against the standard AK clone.

You can go prone with an SKS, without having a bulky magazine in the way of the ground.

Its reliable. In my experience, much more so than the AR platform if you don't have the time to clean it.

The bolt stays open after your last shot, no ghost round like an AK.

Stripper clips may be time consuming to reload, but you can carry more ammunition on you, and in smaller areas such as your pockets if you had to, and if you practice with them you can get pretty good.

Magazines can be bulky, and you have a greater chance of magazine failure than the internal fixed mag on the SKS giving you any trouble, and if need be, you can load the bullets one at a time if you dont have stripper clips, unlike the AK or AR.
No mags = Screwed. Sks, no problem.

Its not a very alarming gun, what I mean by this is that by keeping it in its original configuration, you don't look like some sort of military personnel, or an attractive target. Then again the SKS isnt as basic looking as some lever action either.

It's a great SHTF rifle, the way it was made. In my opinion, and my advice to you is to keep it original, by a bunch of stripper clips and ammo instead of using the money on a stock and bulky magazines that won't improve much.

Also, if you can find any cheap enough, look for the 20 round fixed mags you can sometimes find online. At least you could start out with 20 rounds if you needed to.

Either way, an SKS will do the job for you, no matter what configuration, unless you go all out bubba style, then you're just asking for unreliability. Keep the optics off of it, and KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Good luck
Old 04-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Who is #1?

Thanked 2,460 Times in 1,069 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungPrepper77 View Post
I agree with you. But I don't want the tapco stuff because it looks cool. I might go up against ARs, AKs, and other much more expensive weapons. I cant reload as fast, shoot quite as fast, don't have the same amount of firepower, and my weapon isnt as comfortable. I can't find any more ammo anyways, and all my ammo is non reloadable. Maybe I should have got a Mini 14 or M1 Carbine...
You underestimate what an SKS is capable of. Don't blame the firearm blame yourself. You have no excuse not to be good with it. Comfortable? LOL that is a luxury you won't be afforded if things go bad. I'm not dogging on you. Just letting you know. You can find more Ammo. And it is loadable.

Go watch some video on Syria about SAA fighting the FSA and al Nursa.

http://www.youtube.com/user/newsanna
Old 04-08-2013, 12:13 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,800 Times in 3,998 Posts

Nice thing about the tapco stocks and tapco mags is...
If you want to keep top loading it with stripper clips, you still can.

The stock improves the ballance of the rifle. The increased length of pull makes the rifle easier to shoot well with.

Perform Rockriver's bolt mod:
https://www.survivalistboards.com/sho...d.php?t=247541

and now you have a rifle that allows you to reload while having a round chambered with the rifle pointed at your target / threat.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:36 PM
14 year old libertarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speth View Post
Eh, i wouldn't say a mini or m1 Carbine is a better choice than an SKS.. Here's some advantages of the SKS over many other guns, such as the AK:

Sight Radius, the distance between the sights are further apart than an AK, and has a longer barrel, giving it better accuracy in my experience. War changed, it use to be choose your shots and use a bullet per, now its spread the led. I like the original way, as you use less ammunition. And, in a shtf, chances are you will only be in small conflicts if anything, where accuracy is important, and while the SKS isnt the most accurate gun in the world, it sure isnt bad, especially up against the standard AK clone.

You can go prone with an SKS, without having a bulky magazine in the way of the ground.

Its reliable. In my experience, much more so than the AR platform if you don't have the time to clean it.

The bolt stays open after your last shot, no ghost round like an AK.

Stripper clips may be time consuming to reload, but you can carry more ammunition on you, and in smaller areas such as your pockets if you had to, and if you practice with them you can get pretty good.

Magazines can be bulky, and you have a greater chance of magazine failure than the internal fixed mag on the SKS giving you any trouble, and if need be, you can load the bullets one at a time if you dont have stripper clips, unlike the AK or AR.
No mags = Screwed. Sks, no problem.

Its not a very alarming gun, what I mean by this is that by keeping it in its original configuration, you don't look like some sort of military personnel, or an attractive target. Then again the SKS isnt as basic looking as some lever action either.

It's a great SHTF rifle, the way it was made. In my opinion, and my advice to you is to keep it original, by a bunch of stripper clips and ammo instead of using the money on a stock and bulky magazines that won't improve much.

Also, if you can find any cheap enough, look for the 20 round fixed mags you can sometimes find online. At least you could start out with 20 rounds if you needed to.

Either way, an SKS will do the job for you, no matter what configuration, unless you go all out bubba style, then you're just asking for unreliability. Keep the optics off of it, and KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Good luck
I was taught to shoot the old fashoned way too. One shot, one kill. And I was taught to shoot with a single shot .22. My dad can literally drive tacks with his .Savage 17hmr. My dad grew up in the late 60's through the 70's. He had four brothers. My grandparents could barely keep food on the table. You couldent just go out and buy a ton of ammo to practice, a.k.a waste. Most people saved money by using a shotgun for everything, like in the Great Depression. My grandpa worked in a coal mine ever since Korea ended.He wasn't there to teach his sons how to hunt and shoot. My dad taught himself how to,and then taught me everything I learned. I'm no sniper. Most probably shoot better than me. but i'm fair. And when I see fancy ARs with 30 rounds shoot almost as good as me with a bolt action .308, it makes me nervous. I plan on taking out threats fom a distance, while hidden, but when the S HTF sadly I wont get to choose what happens.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:28 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,240 Times in 867 Posts

I have two Sks's, one is Russian that I put a tapco folding stock, I have 5 30rnd mags for it. Also I have a Hugo that the only thing I did to it was put a bi-pod on it. I love both of my Sks's, but I never shoot the Russian anymore. My yugo out of the box with iron sights will shoot clay pigeons at 230 yards without trying. Save your money for better preps.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Thanked 3,054 Times in 1,506 Posts

when you soil a historical firearm, God kills a kitten.

Just sayin'
The Following User Says Thank You to Vergeltung For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 02:09 PM
MOLON LABE!

Thanked 30,853 Times in 4,140 Posts

IMO, I wouldn't go full taktikewl.

A good Monte Carlo stock will be more comfortable than many of the folding stocks, though the newer adjustable length stocks aren't bad. 20 round Tapco mags are the ONLY magazine I would consider to replace the factory box mag. I've had the 20 and 30 round steel mags and they SUCK. Tapco mags are easy to swap out, and they do exactly what they were designed to do, which is increase the mag capacity and facilitate quick and easy mag changes.

But! Being as the SKS was not intended to have detachable mags, the ease in mag changes is not comparable to that of an AR or AK. With the mag guides on my AK I can swap a mag in a couple of seconds, my buddy's SKS with Tapco mags takes much longer, due to having to rock the mag into the magwell more precisely.

With every firearm there are pros and cons to mods. My M91/30 has been modified to the point it is no longer a Mil-surp weapon. With the custom stock, shortened barrel, PE scope mount and modern scope, I can easily keep every round in an 8" circle at 600 yards with milsurp ammo, my handloads are even better.

BUT, I lost the use of stripper clips, the use of iron sighjts, the factory kit and bayonet, all of which are retained on my original M44 carbine.

So, just remember, every mod you make changes the gun in more ways than just one.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:19 PM
Beer Truck Door Gunner

Thanked 60,276 Times in 20,770 Posts

So you really REALLY want to want to upgrade your SKS?

http://sgworks.com/

This isn't some Tapco swap stuff. This is re-engineering it. You will never look at an SKS the same way again.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:52 PM

My friend pimped out his sks with all kinds of tapco stuff. He has issues with mags, getting his gas tube on and off and stuff like that. Mine is all stock, and it works a lot smoother. I would keep it stock and get good with charging from stripper clips.