Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tapco SKS vs. VZ.58 DontKnowWhatI'mDoing Firearms General Discussion 40 02-22-2015 04:12 AM
I will never buy TAPCO again!!! sabotage39k Rifle Forum 19 10-26-2013 09:16 AM
Tapco mag trouble swampfox210 Firearms General Discussion 19 04-23-2013 09:16 AM
SKS: To Tapco, or not to Tapco? YoungPrepper77 Rifle Forum 20 04-15-2013 11:02 AM
Sks tapco 20 hoplite59 Military Weapons Forum 49 10-18-2012 09:27 AM
MagPul Vs Tapco Richh56 Military Weapons Forum 15 08-13-2012 05:21 AM
Tapco SKS stock gbm75 Military Weapons Forum 1 10-31-2011 04:33 PM
tapco mag for ar? whiskyrebellion Military Weapons Forum 5 03-18-2011 11:23 PM
Sks, Gas tube and tapco Big philly Military Weapons Forum 8 03-05-2010 02:40 AM
Tapco sks Pfc_Willson Rifle Forum 12 01-15-2009 08:06 AM

Old 02-29-2012, 03:30 PM

Default 10/22 Tapco or M&P 15-22

Advertise Here

I've been lurking on the forum for a while and learning a ton, decided to join finally and I have a question to pose for you experts.

I have what I feel to be a decent collection of firearms and am looking to start rounding out a few more here and there. Currently I have an S&W M&P15 (battle rifle) and a stock carbine Ruger 10/22 (small game hunter and backup battle rifle), along with other long and short guns that I won't get into just yet.

My thoughts are that I would like to add another .22 rifle that will serve as a backup small game hunter and also a better backup battle rifle than my bone stock 10/22. I initially had my sights on a M&P 15-22 because I am familiar with S&W's AR's and any of my accessories could easily be taken off the AR and put on here without skipping a beat. However after researching some newer 10/22's and the Tapco kit I started to question if I should consider getting another Ruger. One big advantage is that should one of the Rugers become inoperable I could use it for spare parts.

My biggest question is how much different of a shooter would the M&P 15-22 be compared to a Ruger that is tacti-cooled out? The costs for each would be comparable, so I am mainly concerned about performance. What are your thoughts?

Buy or build a tacti-cool 10/22 to compliment my existing stock 10/22

or

Buy the M&P 15-22 to compliment my M&P 15
Quick reply to this message
Old 02-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Prepared

The 15-22 will be a far more realistic trainer that mimics manual of arms of your AR allowing for some practice on the cheap. Personally I would go that route.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 PM

I'm not so much worried about practice, not really a rookie to firearms. I'm more concerned with reliability and accuracy of a 10/22 vs. the 15-22.

I know that my Ruger is a workhorse and is on point out to 50 yards all day long no matter what ammo I run with it. I would assume that putting the Tapco kit on it wouldn't change the accuracy or reliability much, if at all. How does the 15-22 compare in reliability and accuracy to the 10/22?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 PM
Prepared

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplochar View Post
I'm not so much worried about practice, not really a rookie to firearms. I'm more concerned with reliability and accuracy of a 10/22 vs. the 15-22.
No offense intended. That being said practice is always a good thing; rookie or experienced shooter; as shooting is a diminishable skill. From that aspect of it, the 15-22 is almost a must purchase for anyone who has an AR. The cost savings on some of your training pays for the rifle very quickly. I can definitely understand wanting to know about the reliability and accuracy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tplochar View Post
I know that my Ruger is a workhorse and is on point out to 50 yards all day long no matter what ammo I run with it. I would assume that putting the Tapco kit on it wouldn't change the accuracy or reliability much, if at all. How does the 15-22 compare in reliability and accuracy to the 10/22?
So how does my 15-22 compare in accuracy? Depends on if your talking about the Ruger's with the factory barrels or the ones with aftermarket. If your 10/22 is on point out to 50 yards you are far luckier than I. It's basically my understanding that the factory 10/22 barrels are very hit and miss. Unfortunately all of mine have been misses and at 25 yards most patterned something like a 12 gauge. Against that, the M&P is definitely more accurate. However, the ones that have been replaced with aftermarket barrels are tack drivers and and far more accurate than the 15-22 from the bench. Of course standing they are both only as accurate as you can hold them.

In the reliability department I would say they are the same although I don't have near as many rounds through the 15-22. I'd say maybe 2500 rounds through it so far and only ammo related failures with one exception. A buddy of mines girlfriend was shooting it and was holding it by the magazine and kinda pulling down which caused it to choke a couple of times.

As to the question about the Tapco stock on the 10/22, I've only shot one in that stock a couple of times. Your correct that nothing about putting it in that stock should make it less accurate; unless obviously if you are moving to the Tapco from a stock that is bedded.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Thanks for the reply, and no offense taken at all.

What sort of ammo do you run through your M&P? I have everything from no name to Thunderbolt to CCI Mini Mags and the AR Tactical. My 10/22 eats everything up no problem but I also have a Walther P22 that will only operate with the CCI Mini Mags.

I have only heard good things on the M&P and I love my M&P15-MOE so I'm sure I would be happy if I purchased it. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:38 PM
Prepared

Personally I shoot a lot of Federal 525 bulk pack and Mini-mags. The mini-mags; while they may not be the most accurate in every single rifle; they are by far the most accurate across the board for me. The Federal has always been proven very reliable for me and while not as accurate as the mini-mags they are definitely a touch cheaper. So far the 15-22 has seen:

the federal--fairly accurate, very reliable, feed great

the CCI AR Tactical you mention -- ran a couple boxes through it and have a couple more. It ran fine and was perhaps a minute amount more accurate than the Federal but definitely not enough to justify the price increase.

mini-mags -- shoots them fine and the most accurate that's gone through the 15-22. As I don't shoot groups though that much with the M&P I tend to save this ammo for the others.

Winchester -- the hollow points in the 333 box. These ran fine but definitely nothing to write home about in the accuracy department. Actually pretty crappy. They also have a weird hitch where they hang up a bit loading them in the magazines. They feed fine, just loading is even more of a pain than normal. Once this ammo is gone I definitely won't buy anymore.

Also have some Eley and some Wolf but these will probably never go through this rifle. I saw the Winchester M.22 or whatever but am yet to buy any-maybe if I can find a deal. I don't have the manual in front of me or anything but I do think specifically recommend against the Thunderbolt but I could be imagining things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Icculus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 01:01 AM
Hiker

I have the s&w 15-22 and love it. Its a perfect training rifle for "real" ars. The 25 round mags are great to, but it sucks reloading them.... I have had both, I hae never had a ftf,fte with either one. tey m&p mags are more duable than the plastice eagle 25 round mags. evan the butler creek. the smith though aint cheap. I chose the 15-22 for pure fun and training. I use a shotgun as my primary. but if it comes down to price then 10-22, but if you want to mimic yur a15 than i would suggest a 15-22. I love the 15-22 i sold the 10/22 just to buy the smith. i have put over 6000 round threw just 3mags and the springs are still good. I have droped them, banged them and droped them. and they held up great. i have broke theafter market plastice mags for the 10/22 and i wasnt happy. I would GO with the SMITH....better training, and just plain fun. Train hard, Fight harder....
The Following User Says Thank You to Big philly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 05:58 AM

I love my 15-22. This is an excellent resource for information, repairs, uprades, etc: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/

I have never owned a 10/22, so I can't comment. Good source for the Ruger is: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to stillsearchin' For This Useful Post: