Community security plans - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 06-01-2020, 11:08 PM

Default Community security plans

Advertise Here

Hi all

Fairly new here, but been preparing for the last 2-3 years.

I'm leading an initiative to improve the security of our townhouse community.

Are there any good resources?

While I know there are significant security gaps (not gated, open walkways to the neighboring complex, back units linked to a golf course with simple chain link fence), I'm thinking not only 'security' but also earthquake preparedness.

Topics I'm thinking of:
1. communications between members (GRMS licenses + radios)
2. securing gaps where possible (park cars at open gaps)
3. identifying members who have medical/EMT/first aid training
4. identifying members who are ex military/police/first responder
5. will NOT be identifying folks with firearms, as having those on a list is a non sequiter in my book
6. community patrols
7. evacuation points. plus each household to have a list of members so they can be accounted for when evacuating

any books/resources you'd recommend?

Thanks
Quick reply to this message
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XdM_Panda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:30 PM
Survivor

Thanked 72,808 Times in 22,492 Posts

I expect it to go pooorly.

Join a CERT team and t the neighborhood association/neighborhood watch.

Then let it grow organically.

I live in a very rural area, but I have a stock of radios (and solar pannels) that my neighbors don't know are allocated to them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 12:10 AM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by XdM_Panda View Post

For a small area FRMS might be fine, but if you have cells you could just use a bluetooth app.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...oudtalks&hl=en

There are tons of smart phone apps that use wifi or bluetooth to communicate in a small area.

Ham is ham, tons of materials on it.I woudl suggest not using public radio bans as they are more regulated. But can be used but imo just an unneeded expense for a community watch, when you can use smartphones. Now if you dont have smart phones sure go with radios, but most people should have generations of phones you can use just for bluetooth communications or other prepper apps as a camera etc.. Look up mesh networking.

What are you trying to stop? Other vehicles. Sure works, but instead of just cars, consider multiple cars parked with parking breaks next to each other. The vehicle will have to go fast enough and have more weight than the cars it is pushing. You can try having smooth concrete at that choke point, or dirt so that it cant gain traction, Tearing up ashpault itself for the roadway and digging a trench might work too. If the situation were serious enough.

6. community patrols
This is only useful as a deterent but anyone on these patrols are sitting ducks. If they had information on your action plan the could be interrogated and reveal the info.. or a mole could compramise you.

any books/resources you'd recommend? Yeah, what specifically are you not sure on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Hi all

Fairly new here, but been preparing for the last 2-3 years.

While I know there are significant security gaps (not gated, open walkways to the neighboring complex, back units linked to a golf course with simple chain link fence), I'm thinking not only 'security' but also earthquake preparedness.

Topics I'm thinking of:
3. identifying members who have medical/EMT/first aid training
4. identifying members who are ex military/police/first responder
5. will NOT be identifying folks with firearms, as having those on a list is a non sequiter in my book
6. community patrols
7. evacuation points. plus each household to have a list of members so they can be accounted for when evacuating

any books/resources you'd recommend?

Thanks
Let me say that this is one area where reading a book really doesn't help.
You may ask why? Because there are so many site-specific factors that it would take an encyclopedia just to cover your front gate. Experience is where it's at.

The first thing you need to do is a threat assessment.
List all of the natural disasters flood, hurricanes, him-a-canes, fires, floods and etc. Then start detailed planning how you're going to mitigate the damage and effects.

Now list all of the man-made threats.
How close is the closest prison, how many inmates, do they have an easy way to get to your location? the largest town nearby gang members etc. etc.

Now get a map of your community and draw a circle out to a mile.
Now, wargame it. how would you stop 10 intruders?
Will they be walking or mounted in vehicles?
How much time will you need to round everybody up for the defense of your community? Work your way up to 100 heavily armed prison inmates and how to stop.
This should show you where you need to put your lookouts ( key intersections )

I would also recommend taking this course ( is free) is well worth your time

Disaster Preparedness
The Following User Says Thank You to SWolf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWolf View Post
Let me say that this is one area where reading a book really doesn't help.

You may ask why? Because there are so many site-specific factors that it would take an encyclopedia just to cover your front gate. Experience is where it's at.

The first thing you need to do is a threat assessment.

List all of the natural disasters flood, hurricanes, him-a-canes, fires, floods and etc. Then start detailed planning how you're going to mitigate the damage and effects.

Now list all of the man-made threats.

How close is the closest prison, how many inmates, do they have an easy way to get to your location? the largest town nearby gang members etc. etc.

Now get a map of your community and draw a circle out to a mile.

Now, wargame it. how would you stop 10 intruders?

Will they be walking or mounted in vehicles?

How much time will you need to round everybody up for the defense of your community? Work your way up to 100 heavily armed prison inmates and how to stop.

This should show you where you need to put your lookouts ( key intersections )

I would also recommend taking this course ( is free) is well worth your time

Disaster Preparedness
Yeah I get just reading a book won't be enough, but it will point out things to think about

Your post was very helpful

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk
Old 06-02-2020, 02:15 PM

PLEASE take that Disaster Preparedness corse.

I go thru it every couple of years.
Old 06-02-2020, 03:01 PM
Born 120 years too late.

Thanked 11,276 Times in 2,805 Posts

HAVE YOU even discussed any of this with your neighbors?

Some of them may think you are a loon and want nothing to do with it so they will be out of consideration and a security problem if something does happen.

IF they think it is a good idea... have them all chip in and HIRE an EXPERT who does such assessments on site. We can offer suggestions, but without pictures and topos and diagrams etc etc all we are doing IS GUESSING.

There are basic ideas to start with but you may need a tailored plan to allow for area anomalies we haven't a clue about.
Like that dam 4 miles away that if it breaks in an earthquake will flood your area with 8 feet of water in 14 minutes... things like that... if you had that dam.

Don't think it happens? google "Midland Michigan Flood"
Bunch of rain... old dams, they (2) break in succession, good bye...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NW GUY For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW GUY View Post
HAVE YOU even discussed any of this with your neighbors?

Some of them may think you are a loon and want nothing to do with it so they will be out of consideration and a security problem if something does happen.

IF they think it is a good idea... have them all chip in and HIRE an EXPERT who does such assessments on site. We can offer suggestions, but without pictures and topos and diagrams etc etc all we are doing IS GUESSING.

There are basic ideas to start with but you may need a tailored plan to allow for area anomalies we haven't a clue about.

Like that dam 4 miles away that if it breaks in an earthquake will flood your area with 8 feet of water in 14 minutes... things like that... if you had that dam.

Don't think it happens? google "Midland Michigan Flood"

Bunch of rain... old dams, they (2) break in succession, good bye...
Small steps first.

But folks here know all about flooding. San Jose had massive flooding a few years ago , shocked everyone. I personally know 2 people whose houses were underwater. 1 a complete loss from mould.

Also current situation has folks more interested.
I was going to do CERT last year but got delayed, now all classes are postponed.

Yes, I have started discussing with neighbors
Old 06-04-2020, 08:39 AM
Midwest Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad, 2nd View Post
I expect it to go pooorly.

Join a CERT team and t the neighborhood association/neighborhood watch.

Then let it grow organically.

I live in a very rural area, but I have a stock of radios (and solar pannels) that my neighbors don't know are allocated to them.
Nomad hits the nail on the head here. both of the above give your quest a "legitimate" seal that it may not have if you were organizing yourself. most LEO agencies will come and talk to a community about a neighborhood watch an during that meeting you will probably see your neighbors that have military or LEO experience speak up. from there you will have some normal meetings, where you can identify those folks you are looking for. whether or not the neighborhood watch survives is not really the point, it gives you a starting point, a basic framework, to network with local, like minded individuals.

cert training is valuable in and of itself, the most value, imo, is the people you meet and giving you insight to local disaster plans and issues. I have a copy of my cities disaster plan, which is quite valuable. i know a few key members, which may aid me in that eventuality, but just knowing what to expect is invaluable.
The Following User Says Thank You to Toyboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2020, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyboy View Post
Nomad hits the nail on the head here. both of the above give your quest a "legitimate" seal that it may not have if you were organizing yourself. most LEO agencies will come and talk to a community about a neighborhood watch an during that meeting you will probably see your neighbors that have military or LEO experience speak up. from there you will have some normal meetings, where you can identify those folks you are looking for. whether or not the neighborhood watch survives is not really the point, it gives you a starting point, a basic framework, to network with local, like minded individuals.

cert training is valuable in and of itself, the most value, imo, is the people you meet and giving you insight to local disaster plans and issues. I have a copy of my cities disaster plan, which is quite valuable. i know a few key members, which may aid me in that eventuality, but just knowing what to expect is invaluable.
Yeah we already had the local cops come do that schpiel about neighborhood watch etc.

We actually got evacuated a few months ago due to a gas leak, a community response would have worked better.

The Following User Says Thank You to XdM_Panda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 12:11 AM
Prepped

Quote:
Small steps first.

I was going to do CERT last year but got delayed, now all classes are postponed.

Yes, I have started discussing with neighbors
You might consider taking the FEMA CERT online course IS-317 (Intro to CERT). It covers most of the topics the in-person course does but it doesn't actually certify you because it lacks the hands-on part. It's something though..

http://training.fema.gov/is/courseov...?code=IS-317.a
The Following User Says Thank You to Zee For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 07:13 AM
Hunter

get all the certs and licenses you need covering frs, gmrs, cb, marine cb, vhf, uhf, micro wave and so forth look at distance with and without repeaters in use..

With the heavy use of repeater networks I would develop skills with and without repeaters functioning over both vhf and uhf networks..
Old 06-08-2020, 03:50 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,590 Times in 525 Posts

I tried this in my community.......almost zero interest.

Considering you are of the 1% that does prep the math is not in your favor.....best thing you can do is convince other people to start storing a little bit of food and water....see what the uptake is.....find out who is 2nd amendment friendly and go from there.

In communities like your and mine nothing seems to be an emergency until you run out of toilet paper.

HK
Old 06-08-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrykjr View Post
I tried this in my community.......almost zero interest.

Considering you are of the 1% that does prep the math is not in your favor.....best thing you can do is convince other people to start storing a little bit of food and water....see what the uptake is.....find out who is 2nd amendment friendly and go from there.

In communities like your and mine nothing seems to be an emergency until you run out of toilet paper.

HK
Totally hear you. Regardless of interest I'm moving on with cert etc.

I'm actually NOT asking for 2A as I'm in the bluest of blue counties and rather not have the entire community know who has arms.

Ideally it would help since u could quickly identify who could secure the community with arms but alas with complacency on just preparedness i think securing with arms would have even lower participation.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:50 PM
Indefatigable

Thanked 45,574 Times in 13,936 Posts

Townhouses usually come with HOAs.
Unless you are their president, I would say its going to be an uphill battle all the way.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:20 AM

Default RE: Community security plans

You. Sir. Rock. Best, most level-headed, realistic response ever. I'm taking your advice.
Old 06-10-2020, 09:23 AM

[QUOTE=SWolf;20351672] I meant SWolf. I must have not quoted it correctly.