Notices

Advertise Here

Old 05-09-2020, 10:34 AM
Survivor

Thanked 74,605 Times in 22,960 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Fire View Post
How long was the country of the flu origin on lockdown?
Origin Country of COVID-19: China - 16 days
Origin City of COVID-19: Wuhan - 76 days

How is it possible the source Country of the virus (minus Wuhan) was on lockdown for only 16 days?
How long has the US been on lockdown??
The more decisive your actuon, the less duration needed.
Quick reply to this message
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 11:00 AM
Possum Lover

Thanked 28,085 Times in 10,082 Posts

It was too late by the time SB members warned me and I honestly never thought this would happen. Also my full name had been DOXXED back in 2009. If you google my old user name my full name comes right up (not a name I used here).

I figured worst case someone might come by... not make a report saying we are living like THAT.

I think my only saving grace, other than the exaggerated nature of the claim which put her hackles up right away, was the fact they reported him abusing me and he's blind and in a wheelchair. She was very skeptical when asking me me those questions and I confirmed he may be verbal but I can walk away, if I go outside he can't follow me so I'm fine AND I have the numbers for various agencies.

My life has been one SHTF after another so I expect the worst as a matter of course. I am seldom disappointed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 11:23 AM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,867 Times in 2,224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterEnergy View Post
Not at all. I just choose to address the snarky quote-end quote pretending & conspiracy PART of your point, which you clearly stated.

Simple fact is the economy is not shut down due to Coronavirus but government. (FUN FACT: “Essential workers” are not dying by the thousands).

I predict historians will categorize this akin to the over-reaction of Orson Wells radio broadcast of War of The Worlds. There are already threads addressing how this is a dress rehearsal for a police state.
UM- NO

You were intentionally misleading (and doing it again no less) MY point (actually) was and Is that when China shut down for so long, the supply lines were not moving things US businesses Need to operate (stay open) those acting like that reality never happened boggles the mind of those who have followed this since Jan or so especially since we have several business owners on this very forum making it quite clear they couldn't get supplies they Need to stay open and make $

There was No "snark" that is you imagination working overtime.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:05 PM
Outside the box

Thanked 7,867 Times in 2,224 Posts

Looks like our garden stuff survived,(eggplant, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers were of concern) being covered makes a difference no doubt!
Old 05-09-2020, 12:25 PM
Possum Lover

Ace, I have had various luck with covering things. Plastic sheets were the worst, blankets and upside down pots worked the best.

Houston has variable weather but nothing like up north. My jasmine has done really well though.

I used to have some of those older Christmas lights, the ones about half an inch long, put out a little heat but not too much. Those were good for keeping plants warm, especially if you throw a blanket on top.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PurpleKitty For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 12:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,667 Times in 1,751 Posts

Sonya, I have by no means forgotten the protection part of TSHTF. It is something well thought and planned for. I gave up talking about it in any way as there is a LOT of what I consider fantasy involved in those scenes on this board. If one is having to resort to shooting, it is going to be a mess I don't want to see. Not that it matters what I want....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cat wrangler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 12:52 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,805 Times in 516 Posts

Spent the morning watering the garden and condensing the pantry. Ordered a few seeds from baker creek. I don’t need any more seeds but more is always better. Agrula will apparently grow in Houston summers. Going to try. Also working on more lists.

Talk of a good working vaccine ready starting in September seems unlikely. Our leaders can’t seem to get it together and likely it will be years if ever the world gets rid of this virus.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 12:56 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,876 Times in 888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannygrump View Post
Spent the morning watering the garden and condensing the pantry. Ordered a few seeds from baker creek. I don’t need any more seeds but more is always better. Agrula will apparently grow in Houston summers. Going to try. Also working on more lists.

Talk of a good working vaccine ready starting in September seems unlikely. Our leaders can’t seem to get it together and likely it will be years if ever the world gets rid of this virus.
Granny, one year we had of heat and drought, the kale kept producing wonderfully. I don't remember which variety it was, but wondered if that was a good crop to grow in the south.

Kale is awkward up here because it has to overwinter before going to seed but won't survive our winter temps.
The Following User Says Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 01:12 PM
White Hat

Thanked 12,859 Times in 2,171 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagnar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by InOmaha View Post
We should all be able to live without electricity long term let alone airplanes.
Now THAT is one of the dumbest things I've read on this forum. Back to the days of plow horses, whale oil and covered wagons. That's the ticket. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.survivalistboards.com/images/smilies/thumb.gif[/IMG]
Wow... I agree with Lagnar!

Especially since electricity can be a completely renewable resource, generated by sunlight, wind, the motion of waves, geothermal energy, and hydroelectric dams and mills.

I am personally in favor of small, community-owned neighborhood electrical utilities and individually owned private generation.

Not only can they be much less expensive to run over time (because they avoid the expense and losses of long transmission lines), but also because they are less vulnerable to widespread outages. Generally speaking, the smaller the grids, the smaller the outages.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 01:25 PM
That'll be the day...

Thanked 11,432 Times in 2,389 Posts

Got a CV-19 Hair Cut today!

Yep.... three months of growth and I couldn't take it any more. In the early years of our marriage, the wife use to cut my hair. It's been 25 years, but I forced her to pull out the scissors and the clippers and give me a shearing!

I begged her to peel off her clothes and do the job naked, but she wasn't falling for my charm!

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Big_John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 01:45 PM
White Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonya1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt View Post
I ran out of room a while ago. I have bins and boxes just stacked everywhere. One whole bedroom is out of floor space. Pretty much all the walls are lined with storage bins. The shed's out of shelf space, floor space, and I've now got bags hanging from the rafters on nails.
]
Another question for you, do you have a small army to defend all the stuff you have when others that don't start coming?

< snip >

Even if you have a few guns, you can only shoot one at a time. What happens to your ( and everyone else;s ) stash when the city Walmarts start really running out of food, ALL food...

< snip >

Unless you DO have a small army and WANT this type of TEOTWAWKI scenario to happen, and all this "we need to save lives" is just an excuse to make it happen? I think some on here really do want it to happen, some I am sure of ( not naming names), not saying you but, do you? ....
First, although I would never confront him with specific questions about his defenses, I am certain that Colt is well prepared for all contingencies.

Second, I have to say that Sonya's post demonstrates a severe lack of imagination. There are many more possible futures than "completely opening back up" and Armageddon.

It IS possible that a new economy is forming, where we depend less on foreign nations for essential goods and services (like medications and PPE), where we return to manufacturing technology rather than importing nearly all of it, and where travel does not necessitate widespread exposure to bioweapons developed by covertly hostile nations.

The longer the lockdown has continued, the more convinced I am that it is a kind of dry run to train all of us to respond to a very real threat.

Because believe me, if COVID19 isn't a real enough threat to justify the huge economic changes we are seeing, then there is another, much more dangerous threat on the near horizon, about which the public has not been fully informed.

It seems far too much a coincidence that all this began only months after Bill Gates et al ran a study showing millions of Americans could die during a coronavirus outbreak.

What, exactly, is it that is known by TPTB that justifies the enormous financial losses that have been suffered by so many of the elite? Why would they risk political instability now? Why does this feel so much like the nation is on a war footing, complete with "victory gardens"?

Watch what they do, not what they say.

This is not a simple nor a straightforward situation, whatever it is. Adapting to it as best we can seems to be a lot wiser and more constructive than arguing about it.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 02:45 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 2,149 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_John View Post
Got a CV-19 Hair Cut today!

Yep.... three months of growth and I couldn't take it any more. In the early years of our marriage, the wife use to cut my hair. It's been 25 years, but I forced her to pull out the scissors and the clippers and give me a shearing!

I begged her to peel off her clothes and do the job naked, but she wasn't falling for my charm!

*Ahem.*

this may have actually happened, sometime, somewhere... in a bathroom far, far away...

BUT NEVER ON THE DECK. NEVER.

Home haircuts take strategic planning, Man. They must be coordinated around showers, and daily outfits, and loads of laundry, etc. These are important logistics!

No better planning than to be ready to cut the hair, vacuum the bathroom, step directly into the shower afterwards, then gather up all towels and other laundry and start a load.

Pro tip 1: have vacuum cleaner preemptively positioned outside of bathroom door at beginning of the process.

Pro tip 2: it is perfectly acceptable to vacuum out a bathtub.

Pro tip 3: best use of time, space and relative nakedness is when the Home Hair Dresser also schedules her own hair color and eyebrow tinting directly following the vacuuming of the bathroom, but before the shower and the laundry.

Pro tip 4: save some of the hair clippings to spread around the garden perimeter to discourage bunnies.

Planning, Man, planning!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 02:47 PM
The Mighty Pen

Thanked 11,876 Times in 888 Posts

I remember when all this was starting, my mom said I could move in with them if I needed to. It caught me off guard because, though my house is smaller, it has the solar panels, guns, basement storage and chicken flock. I offered them my driveway to park their camper (which would give them some privacy and a little more space.)

The important thing was we were both considering options if strict lockdowns were introduced.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tpals For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 03:01 PM
Dios y Tejas

Thanked 20,196 Times in 5,181 Posts

We have one of those electric clippers we use to shear the dogs when the Texas heat season comes, which is most of the year. Last week I had my son, who comes over and shears the dogs for us, give me a haircut. I told him, you cant screw up a bald man's haircut. It was one of the best hair cuts I ever had. Pretty sure I'm going to save the $15 in the future
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 03:52 PM
Target Shooter

Thanked 2,149 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1950 View Post
We have one of those electric clippers we use to shear the dogs when the Texas heat season comes, which is most of the year. Last week I had my son, who comes over and shears the dogs for us, give me a haircut. I told him, you cant screw up a bald man's haircut. It was one of the best hair cuts I ever had. Pretty sure I'm going to save the $15 in the future
Amen.
And the tip you'd likely add.
And the cost of gas and wear and tear on the vehicle for the round trip to the barber shop. (For us, that would be about 20 to 40 miles, depending on where we went.)
And the time sink in the travel.
And the time sink in waiting to get in the chair.

Honest to g*d, it takes me less time to cut my husband's hair, color my own hair, tint my eyebrows, conduct a few personal maintenance/grooming rituals in the half hour that the hair color is processing, take a shower, clean up the bathroom, and start the laundry than it would take my husband to drive into town, get a haircut, and drive back.

I buy a box of 'eyebrow tint' (I use a different product, off label) and a box of hair dye off of the shelf. I use *maybe* one box of eyebrow tint a year (I mix it up as I need it) for about $10-$12 and one box of hair dye per month for about $9.25/box with tax.

Between what we *don't* pay for hair coloring, eyebrow tinting, my husband's haircut, tips for both, the little grooming rituals I do for myself, round trip gas and wear and tear on the car, I'm sure I'm saving $100/month, easily, not to mention the time we save.

#quarantineskillz

Sorry for the threadjack, Mods. Back to your regularly scheduled coronavirus thread chat.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to OldSoul For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 04:20 PM
SoJer

Thanked 6,651 Times in 2,102 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSoul View Post
#quarantineskillz
THIS. I am So-kiping this for all the 'but muh econoMee!'s..

Needs to be a billboard That is all..
jd
Old 05-09-2020, 04:25 PM
White Hat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1950 View Post

Not to mention, a home haircut maintains isolation.

I gave myself a haircut this week, too. It was EXACTLY what I wanted, it looks great, and I didn't waste time and money on a beautician.

Also it's layered the way I wanted it, it stays out of my eyes, and it doesn't need blow-drying or a special brush to keep looking great. It took maybe five minutes including setup time.

AND I didn't have to wear a mask or practice "social distancing" while I got it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paravani For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 04:25 PM
Possum Lover

Well I can still get to work, go to the bank, go to walmart, get things delivered including tonight's dinner (Mexican).

I did put the kibosh on the fried burrito covered in chili sauce for him as I have to wash his clothes and that would make an AWFUL mess. I did encourage him in the selection of a standard burrito.

You can tell this place is authentic they have all the "other" cuts of meat, pork skin burritos, something called "pork leg" - we were both a little put off by the thought of our meat having legs. Even though it does. I got "Mexican BBQ" and he got beef fajita. I will let him eat my guacamole I don't like it. They are not far that is the GREAT thing about living here, all these insanely good food choices very close by, food delivered, etc. I have literally 4 grocery stores within a few miles of my home. 5.

If I can't find food here I know it has hit.

And I have plenty stashed, but not too much, in case the social worker comes.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:52 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,805 Times in 516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpals View Post
Granny, one year we had of heat and drought, the kale kept producing wonderfully. I don't remember which variety it was, but wondered if that was a good crop to grow in the south.

Kale is awkward up here because it has to overwinter before going to seed but won't survive our winter temps.
I have kale in my garden and it has survived our summer heat. It struggled but thrived the following fall and winter. The biggest problem we have with greens in the summer besides the heat are bugs and more bugs. And more bugs. I don’t use poison. Our lizard population is a different larger variety from the small green lizards we’ve had previously. Waiting to see if they are better as bug hunters.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grannygrump For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Survivor

Thanked 74,605 Times in 22,960 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannygrump View Post
I have kale in my garden and it has survived our summer heat. It struggled but thrived the following fall and winter. The biggest problem we have with greens in the summer besides the heat are bugs and more bugs. And more bugs. I don’t use poison. Our lizard population is a different larger variety from the small green lizards we’ve had previously. Waiting to see if they are better as bug hunters.
Create a microclimate for tadpoles.

I did and the bug problem dropped greatly with little maintenance on my part.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post: